a menace for us as motorists, and should be banned. 213 83.53%
unfortunate people who deserve our compassion and support. 32 12.55%
an issue that does not concern me. 10 3.92%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2011, 10:47   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Beggars at Traffic Lights: Your Views on the Issue

In Bengaluru, this a recent phenomenon. I think there has been a exodus of beggars to Bengaluru. Some people try to sell stuff and there are also some acrobat performers. From time to time beggars are hauled up and sent to the Beggar's colony. I guess its already housing more than its capacity.

I see the beggar menace as a bigger economic problem confronting our nation and its failed policies which are not inclusive. Its also about some regions of the country which hold great political power but are averse to social and economic progress.

So, for me its not just a traffic problem.

Last edited by srishiva : 11th March 2011 at 10:49.
Old 11th March 2011, 11:05   #17
BHPian

This is one of the reason i choose to not open my car windows as they have the guts to even keep poking you untill you give-in, they have now started knocking the glasses. Worst is they find your window open they keeping cursing you if you ignore them, specially the ones who are neither men nor women, 'Hijra' is what they are called right ?

I choose option one !
Old 11th March 2011, 11:20   #18
Senior - BHPian

Its nothing but a mugging industry which is been running for a while and last few years it has grown rapidly...

The most irritating is the "hijida" gang, they take the signals with the long wats and the poor bikers and people in auto are the once who face the brunt! once i had to give hundred bucks just to make sure that they dont cause any harm
Old 11th March 2011, 11:37   #19
Senior - BHPian

The children these beggars carry may not even be their own. I remember reading an article in ToI which said that there was a couple who would leave their child in the hands of the maid and go to work. They would find the child sleepy when they returned in the evening. One day the lady came back early to find the child missing. Upon questioning the maid, they found out that the maid would lend out the child for beggars, who would drug the child and use it while begging.

I never give any money to any beggars or eunuchs. Beggars just tap the glass and go away, but some of the eunuchs try to open the car door! Fortunately, I never drive with the glass down.

OT: once I was walking on the road and a eunuch blocked me and asked me money. I said no and tried walking. She stopped me, pinched my left breast and gave a string of abuses and left. Her touch was YUKKKKKK.
Old 11th March 2011, 11:44   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Wish it were simple to remove the beggars. It's a multi million rupee industry. The amount changing hands is phenomenal.

A few years ago, a police commissioner implemented a novel rule. Bombay areas are divided into beats which have their own small police chowkies. The CP issued an order that it's the chowkies' responsibility to make sure there are no beggars in that area. Worked well at least in our area for quite a few months. Once the CP got transfered, the situation came back to square one.
I wish we could get a commissioner like that over here in Chennai. It is becoming quite a big problem I would say, especially in the Nandanam signal. They suddenly veer into the middle of the road, and when some vehicle knocks them off the whole band of beggars and some of the public as well, put the blame on you.
Old 11th March 2011, 12:05   #21
Senior - BHPian

IMO we should not entertain them. Its a business for them and no one would like to run a business without any gain!
By the way who is suppose to stop these guys from creating public nuisance?
Old 11th March 2011, 12:22   #22
Senior - BHPian

I've voted for A. My views are concurrent with the majority view already posted. Not much to write as it would duplicate..
Old 11th March 2011, 12:29   #23
BHPian

Its a big menace, and none of them at the signals in bangalore are genuine beggars!
its a big business nowadays!
Old 11th March 2011, 12:37   #24
BANNED

I chose option 'A'. It is a no brainer. Begging is huge money making business and there is no point in supporting it or letting it continue. Period.
Old 11th March 2011, 12:40   #25
Senior - BHPian

My father never approved giving a dime to beggars at signals and elsewhere. Somehow as a teenager I could not approve of that behaviour. Once while travelling in a State Trnasport bus there was an old lady in bearly able to stand with a round bamboo basket huge soda glasses and was selling needles. My father got up and bought 3 needles and paid 10 bucks. Probably 5 times the actual price. I learnt an important lesson.
In Pune, I was driving near Kumbhar wada Shivajinagar. At the signal a young fellow was selling balloons and other toys trying to earn a living. I bought a baloon and paid him 10 bucks for the effort.
Old 11th March 2011, 12:46   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow.
Fortunate people in air-conditioned vehicles that are bothered by people with barely a roof over their heads.

Because we have enough and those who don't -- think of ways to get some money off us, by pretending to be handicapped or by pretending their children need medicine. Or because, hunger takes precedence over the choice between right and wrong.

Nahi hai chutta, chalo bhaago idhar se.
Gande kapde se meri gaadi ko kharrab mat karo.
Chal bhaag yahan se, samajhme nahi aata hai, ki doon ek thappad.

Come, let's create an internet poll and wipe out all beggars from our streets and make India a better country to live in!

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 11th March 2011 at 12:57.
Old 11th March 2011, 13:08   #27
Senior - BHPian

All this while Hyderabad was safe from beggars,but i have been noticing a surge since last year and the administration doesn't care a damn about this menace.
Old 11th March 2011, 13:22   #28
Senior - BHPian

Recently a Beggar was caught begging at a traffic light in chandigarh,and on investigation it was found that,he had 2 laptops and a Iphone in his bag,and used to stay in 3\5star hotels.
and yeah he was carrying a pair of decent cloths in his bag too.

Situation is worse here in chandigarh,recently a stone was hurled on my friend by an urchin\beggar,after he refused to pay alms.
and not to mention,you hear abuses from their mouths when you dont pay them.
Old 11th March 2011, 13:27   #29
Senior - BHPian

IMO they are a menace and at the signal more so even. I think it is upto the city administration to tackle the issue.

I guess same thing applies for the nimbu mirchi walahs, the cloth guys and the toy sellers too.
Old 11th March 2011, 13:39   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Come, let's create an internet poll and wipe out all beggars from our streets
These threads inform others that these people are part of "organized" racket. It is a complex problem that can't be solved here, but we can inform others about realities.

Most Viewed