unfortunate people who deserve our compassion and support. 32 12.55%
an issue that does not concern me. 10 3.92%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2011, 15:31   #76
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Beggars at Traffic Lights: Your Views on the Issue

I would say charity begins at home and one's neighbourhood. Do your best by the people who serve you and work for you at your home and possibly in the neighbourhood. Thats a better way of caring and trying to make a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VINUMON View Post
+ 1000

By far, the sanest post that on this thread. Really surprising comments, coming as they do from the people of a nation that is still thought off in a manner similar to these views echoed here.
Old 18th March 2011, 19:20   #77
BHPian

Maybe what I do is wrong, but I generally give out small change at traffic signals (I keep some change ready in my coin holder). While donating, I ensure that I give out only to elderly people or to people who are deformed/handicapped in any manner. To any other people who beg (i.e. able bodied young men/women), I just stop short of rolling down the window and asking why they don't work for a living.

On the flip side, I do understand that begging at signals etc. is an organised industry and people are trained/forced to beg. There have also been cases of beggars who have bought properties worth a few hundred thousands - but these do not bother me.

I did not vote because, none of the options seemed to match my case.
Old 18th March 2011, 19:45   #78
BHPian

You know why this beggar problem is growing? Sorry to be blunt but all you folks who give money to beggars are directly to blame for this. When you give alms you're enouraging them to beg and to invite their friends and families to join the trade. You're encouraging them to produce more offspring so that they too can join the family trade and increase the family's earnings. You're encouraging them to pay money to doctors and getting their limbs amputated. Because even you are not going to give alms to a fit and healthy young man / woman. But when it's a disabled amputee, "kachinggg"!

Stop this madness!!! Don't encourage begging!!!
Old 18th March 2011, 19:53   #79
Team-BHP Support

Some incidents I've been through personally:

1. Delhi, a few years ago: A young, apparently pregnant girl begging at a signal, looking so pitiful that anybody with a heart would feel sorry for her. The signal turns green, she hurries a bit to get out of the way of rushing traffic, and behold, the pillow pops out. She picks it up, looks at me, shrugs and walks away. Another day at the office.

2. Bhopal, college days: A child walks up to me on a pavement, makes the usual claims of being hungry for days. I offer to buy him food, and he's glad. But then looks over his shoulder, shudders in fear, and starts crying. "What's wrong kid? Don't want to eat?" "He'll beat me if you don't give me cash." "Who?" "Can't tell you, he'll beat me for that too". I get him some biscuits anyway. Don't know what happened after. He was probably going to get beaten anyway, at least it's better with a full tummy, and my money feeds a child instead of getting wasted on a crook.

3. Bangalore, last year: Old man at a signal. Asks for tea money. Seems drunk. I refuse to pay. Choicest abuses thrown my way. Apparently, I'm so caught up in my rich world that I don't care for his basic right to get drunk at others' expense.

A lot of these guys are really needy, no doubt, but does giving them money make their life any better? It doesn't, more often than not. Every rupee you give them pushes them deeper in the hell-hole they're already in. Instead, I spend Saturday mornings teaching slum kids with a bunch of friends, and pay the school fees for my maid's daughter. Hopefully, she'll not end up like her mother, cleaning up others' filth. May not be much, but I find it much better than encouraging beggary.
Old 18th March 2011, 19:54   #80
BHPian

One should buy glucose biscuits if one feels one should give money.
Old 18th March 2011, 19:58   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
it's the "I am the king, and I pray to god and wash my sins" syndrome at work. Even Tatas steal billions in subsided lands and then feel like god by creating

All of us like to do that at our own small scale. We love to first cheat and suck blood out of others, and then feel like god by giving alms. Some genuinely afraid of almighty.

As long as we give, there will be someone to take it, and make business out of it.
Sorry sir! Speak for yourself! Some of us honest fools work our backsides off and earn each damned penny that we bring home! It's us who really has our blood sucked by the Government every year!!!
Old 18th March 2011, 20:28   #82
BHPian

I love watching beggars that can walk completely fine but as soon as the light turns red, they are handicap. I can't stand beggars sending their kids to beg its soo messed up.
Old 18th March 2011, 20:36   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Sorry sir! Speak for yourself! Some of us honest fools work our backsides off and earn each damned penny that we bring home! It's us who really has our blood sucked by the Government every year!!!
get the sarcasm, will ya
Old 18th March 2011, 21:36   #84
Senior - BHPian

Begging at signals is a big racket. There have been so many times that young children have refused to take the food offered to them but insist on money.
Recently my friend saw a bunch of kids wiping a car and then trying to extract money, but since the owner didnt roll down the windows to pay anything, they kicked the rear door (3 kids in all) and ran away hurling abuses.

There was an article several years ago that the place where a beggar sits is something thats demarcated for them from their so called union and if a beggar leaves for his village, that place is brought by another beggar by paying some big amount as that place yields more money (maybe close to temple, mall etc)

As long as their hands and legs are fine, why cant they work and earn. Sad Sight for our country.
Old 18th March 2011, 22:20   #85
mgh
BHPian

unfortunately in our society, a beggar is 'honoured', a sweeper is looked down upon.
remember an incident mentioned by couple of foreigners touring India a long time ago.
a beggar approached them at Connaught Place, asking for 10 Rs. there was some stuff lying around, though there was a bin kept there. the foreigners told the beggar that they would give him the money asked for, if he picked up the stuff lying around and put it in the bin. Upon which the beggar drew himself up to his full height, and said, "Sir, I am a beggar not a cleaner."
Old 18th March 2011, 22:40   #86
MCR
BHPian

I have been driving around all over Bangalore for the past few days. What I have noticed is that if we choose to ignore, the beggars or others cannot do nothing much. They tapped on my cars glass, but I never looked at them. The beggars just moved on.

OT : There are a few child beggars near Domino's pizza in EC. They poke you, try to hold your hand and ask for alms. We just shooed them away. But some girls were not so lucky, they yielded and gave them Rs.10/- saying they had no lesser denomination. Its people like these who create the problem for all of us.
Old 18th March 2011, 23:24   #87
BHPian

When on my bike, beggars don't even bother asking me for alms 80% of the time. The rest 20% of the time they just wave their hands at me and leave.
In my car, I'm troubled more, coz car-wallah is seth for them and I'm pestered for a few seconds.
However, I never ever acknowledge their presence. It's like I don't see them at all. Some leave, some mumble and grumble and a few abuse. I don't care!
Hijras are a huge menace but I never give in at all. I remember paying up once in my B.Tech days but never after that. They hurl abuses, insult, touch etc but they are finally fed up and leave. What 'respect' are you trying to preserve among strangers?
Once, one hijra tried to stop my bike by engaging the brake. I continued to rev my bike, almost like an angry roar, and s/he let go.
Whichever form of a beggar you are, I ain't paying you a dime of my hard earned money. The Big Beggar (aka govt) ate most of my salary already.

Last edited by hellmet : 18th March 2011 at 23:26.
Old 19th March 2011, 05:15   #88
Senior - BHPian

Havent had to deal with beggars, but find the hijra types a menace. It's a good thing we don't have to put up with their ilk down south (or here in orissa for that matter)
Even at traffic signals, I just keep my windows up and the dark tints help. I dont give alms to *any* beggar on principle. Would rather give to the kid selling those 10 rs pens, heck, even an overcharging rickshaw driver than a beggar.

And besides, with the rise of the professionals, you are just creating more of them.

Last edited by greenhorn : 19th March 2011 at 05:16.
Old 19th March 2011, 13:02   #89

All of us on this thread should thank GOD for everything we have and not sit on our fancy computers and in our a/c rooms disscussing beggers and what a menace they are. Thank your stars that you are not the one on the other side of the window.I dont know about everyone here but its ok to give whatever you can, we are no one to judge under what circumstances they are here and begging .You are on a signal for less than 2 minutes in your A\C car with music and shades on and you are grumbling that they are bothering you ??? Please everybody think again.
Old 19th March 2011, 21:14   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiaturbo View Post
All of us on this thread should thank GOD for everything we have and not sit on our fancy computers and in our a/c rooms disscussing beggers and what a menace they are. Thank your stars that you are not the one on the other side of the window.I dont know about everyone here but its ok to give whatever you can, we are no one to judge under what circumstances they are here and begging .You are on a signal for less than 2 minutes in your A\C car with music and shades on and you are grumbling that they are bothering you ??? Please everybody think again.
I applaud your spirit of helping those less fortunate than you, but the part I highlighted in your post is a very good reason for not promoting their begging habits. If you really want to help them, do something better to help such people than throwing loose change at them. It's an easy way out for you to feel better about yourself, but it probably creates more problems for them than it solves.

Think about it before you reach for the coin holder next time. Are you really helping them?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks