Team-BHP - How Lucky are you ?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   How Lucky are you ? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/97953-how-lucky-you.html)

I've always had this habit & still have of applying for contests on TV or during Expo's etc to see if i can win one of those fancy gifts which they promise would go to few lucky winners however have never brushed my shoulders with any BIG gifts.

Is there anyone out there who has won Lucky Draw contests or contests where you answer some questions and wait for the Draw to happen?

For eg. My wife shops a lot from Westside and every purchase of Rs 2000 & above entitles you for a Lucky draw voucher to win a BMW 3 series as the first prize , Honda city as 2nd and Nice holiday packages as 3rd along with lot of daily prizes. The contest ended on Nov 20th and we did not win even a since hankerchief even after having over 13 valid gift voucherslol:

I have never won anything myself. But my accountant has won a Nokia 5800 phone and a washing machine in the subsequent year. Both the times he bought some electronics during Diwali time.

Years ago,i had won a Sony walkman in a draw of lots,when the first prize was a tata safariplease:
and not to mention that walkman was broken:Frustrati

I won a huge 55% discount on my Zune HD! Best Buy had this promotional discount roulette wheel set up. I spun it and got the highest number on the wheel. It was 50% plus 5% guaranteed discount! I was over the moon! :D

Most of these contests are nothing but a gimmick to generate leads and collect information.

I have won twice, once HP netbook from Coca-cola india in their Limca offer and DVD player when bought an LG TV.

I haven't but my friend won a trip from VH1 for 2 to the 2010 Bahrain GP to see Linkin Park. But it was not purely luck, first he answered some question on FaceBook and then a telephonic interview on Linkin Park.

i once won the 3N/4D manali trip when i watched the first dat first show of movie TITANIC in priya theatre in delhi.

after that i have never won anything so the rough patch continues.

Lets just say that if there were 2 gifts, 1 giving a million rupees and the other zilch I will always get the latter :D

Nice thread.. I was in the habit of applying for all sort of contests, but stopped when they brought that contest postcard costing 10 rs, i think it was in 1996. As for prize..I got 10 rs on a 10 rs lottery :)

A friend once won a free Honeymoon package to Europe, right around the time he got married. And here I always get 'Better luck next time' scratch cards :D

Not even a single Paise guys, not even a single paise till now.
I now get angry when Salesguy tell me of a lucky draw.

Oh Marketeers, I hate you guys so much.

Well if contests apply as well in this thread, I won the 2003 Autocar India F1 game which they used to have. The prize was an all expenses paid trip for two to the F1 Malaysian GP of 2004. Took my Dad along for the trip. Superb experience.

won a free return air ticket to anywhere in India from Bausch and Lomb few years back, and have won a 2D/3N stay from some mobile store when I brought a mobile (I think it was Global Access). On both occasions, was too lazy to use them, and they were non-transferable, so none of my friends could use them too.

(Height of laziness - did not even claim the free gift - a Kodak digital camera - when I brought my HP laptop - I was too lazy to go to the bank to make a DD to cover the shipping charges)

Edit: I remember reading a thread here in T-BHP, where the OP won a Blue Honda Jazz when he brought a DVD player from some showroom. IIRC, this was from Chennai - I think he had to fill in some slogan or something like that too)

If it is just about winning (not the value of the prize), I have won many times. I usually look for and participate in contests that require you to coin some slogan or give feedback etc - basically involving wordplay. And have been lucky many times, but the one I cherish the most is the SMS contest by RPG-Cellular in 2001.

RPG wanted to make sending SMSs cool (and profitable) and what better way than a contest. So, you had to send out a funky SMS to cine-actress Jothika asking her out for dinner and if it was selected, you get to have a dinner date with her, apart from goodies like her poster, a casette of songs from her latest movie etc.

And as luck would have it, my SMS got selected. Ofcourse wifey was not so enthused about the whole thing (actually she was really pissed off) and so I had to go to the dinner with a friend. More than the contest, I was a big fan of Jothika (still am, though she does not act anymore - married and settled down) and the chance of seeing her live was irresistible.:D

Anyway, my SMS got selected - 40 out of 40000 SMSs were selected ie. a 0.1% strike rate. The SMS I sent was :

I am cool, handsome and sexy,
though some would call me a li'l crazy,
not that I go about talking nonsense,
but because you are the one that rules my senses.

Her poster still adorns a wall at home and I have the casette too, but dont have a casette player to play it on.

Apart from this, won an RCA MP3 player for giving feedback on the re-designed website of my organisation.

Won a Cross pen for coining the ISO Quality Policy of the organisation I was working for - more than the pen, what makes me proud is that my wordings are displayed prominently on the walls of the company as mandated by ISO norms.