Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2011, 11:51   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: I believe I parked on the street within rules. But a neighbour differs. Who is ri

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
This is blowing out of, quite a few, proportions.

Most of stuff that is coming in now has already been discussed in the preceding many pages.
+1. This thread has lost its intend I guess. It's turning to be more of a bashing. Is this setting a trend now as I see more of such threads cropping uP ? !

Cheers,
Old 6th April 2011, 13:38   #137
BHPian

Re: I believe I parked on the street within rules. But a neighbour differs. Who is ri

I think its better to close this thread as its not adding any value to the site or the members. The OP was presenting the case from his side that too a creating a similar scene using an Alto car which is not in actual conflict and people started giving opinions hearing one side of the story. No one heard from Ikon guy to know the problem his side.

Mods: Please close this thread before getting ugly bashing from all sides.
Old 6th April 2011, 15:19   #138
Senior - BHPian

A really interesting thread. I think SupremeBaleno was parked okay.

I am wondering if the scenarios in this thread can be classified under road rage. Or should we coin a new term called parking rage?
Old 7th April 2011, 14:55   #139
Senior - BHPian

^^ Since Sb parked on the road, it will still be "Road rage" (LOL).

@ Jungle Boy - Arrey, why say I dont have a "taste" for humor? I ended the post with the statement "I hope it was in lighter vein" and it was definitely not directed at you alone.

Anyhow, no hard feelings and I hope me and your moustache can be friends one day

:-)

@ Mayank - very aptly put sir.
Old 7th April 2011, 16:02   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by automaticfan
No, I didn't. read my post once again.
I read again and this is what you mentioned in your post: "That guy used to complain to me that he can't take out his sedan with out touching my vehicle. One day I challenged him...". From what you wrote, it sounds like your challenge and subsequent relocation of your car came only after many days of his complaining.

Quote:
In all fairness, you should have moved your car immediately. Probably your ego (coupled with his ego) stopped you from doing so.In your case you were as arrogant/ignorant as Ikon guy and still the support is pouring in just because poor Ikon guy is not a memeber here
The thread was about the legality of the parking. Possible that he was arrogant or I was arrogant or we both were, but that was not what I wanted opinions on, because that I can make out from the situation itself. And regarding moving the car immediately, since you needed to be convinced before you moved your car, do you think it was too wrong of me to think the same way ?

Quote:
The OP was presenting the case from his side that too a creating a similar scene using an Alto car which is not in actual conflict and people started giving opinions hearing one side of the story. No one heard from Ikon guy to know the problem his side.
I agree that the narration is one-sided, but I have taken care to present the facts as it were that night, which was why I took the trouble to have a snap taken with my car to replace the Alto (a smaller car). I hope you did not miss that snap in Page-6. And I also took the snap in such a way that it covers the road, my parking and his gates so that those who see it can make an informed opinion.

If the mods feel that this thread is deviating into personal-attacks, they can lock the thread. Anyway most of what had to be discussed, has already been discussed in the 10 pages. Would the following be an acceptable summary of the discussion :

1) The way I parked was not wrong/illegal from a traffic law POV, since there is no "No Parking" sign and I did not park close to a turn.

2) Legally/logically Ikoneer has no grounds to complain about the parking since it was not on his side of the road. If at all someone can complain, it could be those 2 residents of my friend's apartment whose car-slots were blocked by my parking. Ofcourse, the watchman of the apartment was kept in the loop so that I can move the car if either resident wanted to take his car out.

3) There is a possibility (debatable because while there seems to be more than enough space available to get in, some members pointed out possible issues due to his gates) that Ikoneer could have difficulty in getting his car in/out. But this would be more because of his gates opening perpendicular to the road,than due to the parked car.

4) Assuming getting in/out of his garage is difficult, what Ikoneer can do at best is request the person parked on the opposite side to move the car, rather than demanding the car to be moved.

5) If the gates were sliding type or even if the hinges were on the outside of the pillars, parking would be a lot easier for him, without having to bother about who is parking on the opposite side of the road.

6) One of the good points that came up was to have a post-it note with your phone number on it, so that you can be called to move the car in case the parking is inconveniencing someone.

Any other points I missed from the discussion ?

Parking-rage by cops at Kerala :
BTW, last weekend a parking-rage (thanks typeOnegative) incident at Kerala was big news. A lady teacher had come to the Chengannur treasury for some work and was parking her M800 when a mobile-squad told her that she can't park there and suggested an alternate parking location. She heeds their advice and parks accordingly. On her return, she sees that her driver side glass is broken and steering broken by some other local cops who did this because as per them this place by the roadside is not for parking and maybe because they could not move the locked car.

They also had a post-it note on the car asking the owner to pay a fine too - this proved to be their undoing. The poor lady started crying on seeing her damaged car and a crowd gathers - the matter is taken up by the press, top cops intervene and finally the cops have to repair her car at their expense. So, when even cops are not sure about where on the roadside you can park,....

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 7th April 2011 at 16:10.
Old 7th April 2011, 16:47   #141
Senior - BHPian

they broke the steering & the glass? Are they allowed to do that even in case of wrong parking? Really shocking!
Old 7th April 2011, 18:49   #142
Senior - BHPian

I may be going on a tangent here, but how much does it cost (in proportion to the cost of the house itself), to include extra level for parking? In independent houses it's very easy to have one level for garage and build rooms above it. but how about flats. I am guessing for every 7-10 floors one needs one whole floor for parking. so a 15 floor apartment will need two levels for parking.

how much would that add to individual flat's cost?
Old 7th April 2011, 20:03   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
This is blowing out of, quite a few, proportions.

Most of stuff that is coming in now has already been discussed in the preceding many pages.
Dont rake it up over and over, and stop taking potshots by pointing out mistakes.
A guy will accept his mistake once, maybe twice for the same incident, but repeatedly asking someone to acknowledge it is unfair.
Lets not do that.
live and let live, i say....
@mayankk :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
About the statement in bold, I consider it as an irrational personal attack, which I'm reporting.
@Arkin evoisrevo : Puffff...Don't read the bold statement in isolation, read the complete statement. It is general and not pointed to any individual. But if you choose to take it personally, its your choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
^^ @ Jungle Boy - Arrey, why say I dont have a "taste" for humor? I ended the post with the statement "I hope it was in lighter vein" and it was definitely not directed at you alone.

Anyhow, no hard feelings and I hope me and your moustache can be friends one day

:-).
@Urban_Nomad : Its OK dude, hopefully
Old 7th April 2011, 21:26   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
I may be going on a tangent here, but how much does it cost (in proportion to the cost of the house itself), to include extra level for parking? In independent houses it's very easy to have one level for garage and build rooms above it. but how about flats. I am guessing for every 7-10 floors one needs one whole floor for parking. so a 15 floor apartment will need two levels for parking.

how much would that add to individual flat's cost?
A builder would normally consider how much he would get if that level 'sacrificed' for parking were flats/apartments. So lets take a simple example of a ground + 7 floor apartment building having 4 flats per floor each measuring 1,200 sqft. being sold @ Rs.4,000/sqft. Ground floor 'sacrificed' for parking would cost Rs.4000x1200x4 = Rs.1.92cr.

Now the builder will recover this cost from 4 x 7 = 28 flat buyers. So each flat buyer will (be made to) pay Rs.1.92cr/28 = Rs.6.86 lakh. Considering that a buyer would have otherwise paid Rs.48 lakh, he would be paying about 14% extra.
Old 7th April 2011, 23:05   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
A builder would normally consider how much he would get if that level 'sacrificed' for parking were flats/apartments. So lets take a simple example of a ground + 7 floor apartment building having 4 flats per floor each measuring 1,200 sqft. being sold @ Rs.4,000/sqft. Ground floor 'sacrificed' for parking would cost Rs.4000x1200x4 = Rs.1.92cr.

Now the builder will recover this cost from 4 x 7 = 28 flat buyers. So each flat buyer will (be made to) pay Rs.1.92cr/28 = Rs.6.86 lakh. Considering that a buyer would have otherwise paid Rs.48 lakh, he would be paying about 14% extra.
the part sacrificed is not exactly 4000/- per ft because there is minimal construction needed in that area, right? It has on opportunity cost though.
Old 8th April 2011, 10:25   #146
BHPian

Parking is generally not considered part of FSI, additional floors used for parking only mean the building will become taller with those many floors. Of course local codes restricting height of building (near airport areas) will play into builders willingness to create parking floors.
Secondly - it's a good selling point for builders if adequate parking is available for residents for upto 2 cars per household but what If i don't purchase the second spot - it's wasted space and money for builder.

Enough OT! 'How can builders overcome residential parking woes' can be a different thread altogether.
Old 8th April 2011, 20:03   #147
BHPian

Quote:
The thread was about the legality of the parking. Possible that he was arrogant or I was arrogant or we both were, but that was not what I wanted opinions on, because that I can make out from the situation itself. And regarding moving the car immediately, since you needed to be convinced before you moved your car, do you think it was too wrong of me to think the same way ?
I guess you are not able make out the difference in the situations we are talking about. I parked in front of OUR OWN HOUSE and LEGALLY too ( as you call it). Yes, he complained about that for few days but I was parking there for more than a year before he complained about that as he bought his car later.
Moreover, we should have found out the perm solution to that issue rather than one-off request where I would have obliged immediately. Your reasoning is till illogical and trying to gain some consolation for yourself by giving imaginative information ( remember alto v/s baleno). No amount of pictures will explain the real issue faced by the Ikon driver.

Quote:
I read again and this is what you mentioned in your post: "That guy used to complain to me that he can't take out his sedan with out touching my vehicle. One day I challenged him...". From what you wrote, it sounds like your challenge and subsequent relocation of your car came only after many days of his complaining.
What I said was that I didn't ask him to fix his gate rather than moving my car even though it was inconvenient to me. Again you didn't refer to the correct sentence and drawing your own conclusions.
Quote:
The thread was about the legality of the parking.
Legality I guess most of the people who have responded are not lawyers or traffic cops. People here are expressing their views from general sense of best practices on the road.

Last edited by automaticfan : 8th April 2011 at 20:04.
Old 8th April 2011, 22:07   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Not stopping on RED is not due to lack of education - everyone knows they need to stop.
There is a difference between being "educated" and being "informed".

Quote:
Lack of enforcement could be one reason.
I would emphasize on lack of traffic sense or lack of consideration towards fellow users of the road, which is what an education would provide.

Quote:
If there was a footpath, then parking on it is wrong and the parker is to blame. There was no footpath here and neither was the edge of the road walkable (it was littered with rubbish) + it had plants overgrown onto the road making walking impossible (you can see the plants in one snap).
When there is no footpath, people are supposed to walk on the edge of the road with care(I remember an officer from the Traffic Police telling this when he had come to my school during a awareness on road safety program). So, if a vehicle is parked on the road side, then the pedestrian is forced to walk closer to the middle of the road, which is very risky.

I am not trying to point fingers at you, but just trying to provide a neutral viewpoint.

I think I have registered my views on this subject in my posts and I do not intend to further debate on this.
Old 9th April 2011, 00:14   #149
Senior - BHPian

Note From Support Team - The viewpoints of both OP & others have been posted & discussed & whatever had to be expressed by the members have been done. So we are closing this thread before the thread's focus shifts completely. Thanks.

Thread Closed
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks