Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2011, 16:13   #31
BHPian

Re: I believe I parked on the street within rules. But a neighbour differs. Who is ri

Creating a fuss out of a parking is very easy, fighting is more easy,
and do you guys think parking our cars as a visitor in a place where it will not create any fuss for anybody is so difficult ? I don't think so. When i visit somebody i see to that i park and block my own visiting place if its a independent house. Such that somebody going out they will know its their own visitor. Else i park in a public parking place and walk to my destination may be even 100m. i clearly check whether the area i park is safe. Which doesn't hinder the other motorist or even i check is this somebody elses parking space. I never park in anybodies compound side as they might be having their car coming. Even thou all this in vein and i don't get parking space...i then to park the car very near or opposite to my visiting such that if somebody honks and immediately come and remove my car with an apology. Most of the time as apologized they themselves suggest us with a smile where to park.
Old 29th March 2011, 16:17   #32
BANNED

Re: I believe I parked on the street within rules. But a neighbour differs. Who is ri

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Which law prevents from parking on road?
From your own post: Obstruction by parking --- 15(2) RRR 177 MVA

But seriously we need rules to be courteous too? Even in that pic that Alto is parked incorrectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Drive back home or go find a public parking lot (the nearest one which would be in another country, given how things are here) ?
I will tell you the difference between being having a social responsibility and trying to argue.

I was looking for a house in Marathahalli - Fountainsquare Apts. They have visitor parking but apparently not those visitors who come through agents.

So where did I park. The lanes around this place are narrow. I parked a full 400 mts away off the road shoulder. But like the Alto in your pic I saw many others "legally" parking right on the road outside.

I do this everywhere. My wife keeps complaining as to why have a car when we park it half way away.

Quote:
Another thing you probably missed in the heat of your righteous indignation
What you call righteous indignation I call it discipline.

About the time bit. If you break a redlight at 0000 hours you are right to do so?

Quote:
your Jeep breaks down on the highway. You call your garage to send a tow-truck and proceed by some other means to the airport. What about the Jeep till the tow truck arrives ? Leave it parked on the slowest lane with hazard lights on, or push it over the road onto the ditch since a vehicle is not supposed to be parked on the road without an attendant driver ?
Again an unnecessary point. A broken down car != a parked car. There is a difference.

Quote:
And about moving your car if a cyclist asks you to, a normal person would think how the car is blocking the cyclist's path, before blindly proceeding to move his car.
He has has asked you to move his car, not sell your soul to him? Isn't it easy to comply. In your case, he had a reason. Not everyone are good drivers as you are.

Coming to the cycle bit. Why will I need justification? I will move the car. He surely is saying it because he has a reason for it. Why would I doubt him and grill him to get an answer. I will do the simpler of the two. Should I take it as a hit on my ego that a cyclist asked me to move the car for some random reason and start an argument.

But if I was parked in a legal parking spot I would have asked why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Can you specify which rule has this requirement of having a driver in a vehicle parked in public road?
Read the one about obstruction by traffic. A vehicle will be towed if there is no driver. If there is a driver he will be asked to move the car. Towing comes at a later stage. So the need to have a driver. You cant be leaving the car wherever you please. If you drive off you dont get fined.

Quote:
ALL 8 lane highways have outermost lanes for parking / temp stops.
The wideness of the road was being debated.

Having said all that. If a person asks you to move your vehicle when parked on a public road, unmarked spot, move it.

Here in bangalore because of this ignorance as seen on this thread people are putting up parking reserved for so-so car outside their properties. Imagine arguing with them. This is the next step towards that malaise.

EDIT: Rest of the posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Just curious to know, are you living in India? Cheers!
Yeah in your city. Difficult to imagine no? The blatant disregard for law and order has made such things seem impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
If public parking is not allowed then we better start walking or take public transport
Yes we need to do that. That's the right way to go about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrez02 View Post
Creating a fuss out of a parking is very easy, fighting is more easy,
and do you guys think parking our cars as a visitor in a place where it will not create any fuss for anybody is so difficult ? I don't think so. When i visit somebody i see to that i park and block my own visiting place if its a independent house. Such that somebody going out they will know its their own visitor. Else i park in a public parking place and walk to my destination may be even 100m. i clearly check whether the area i park is safe. Which doesn't hinder the other motorist or even i check is this somebody elses parking space. I never park in anybodies compound side as they might be having their car coming. Even thou all this in vein and i don't get parking space...i then to park the car very near or opposite to my visiting such that if somebody honks and immediately come and remove my car with an apology. Most of the time as apologized they themselves suggest us with a smile where to park.
+1. This is exactly what I am saying.

Tomorrow I may park my car without knowing I have created an obstruction for someone. I will move my car how small the obstruction without asking for justification and arguing.

Last edited by Spitfire : 29th March 2011 at 16:27.
Old 29th March 2011, 16:33   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post

But seriously we need rules to be courteous too? Even in that pic that Alto is parked incorrectly.
But, there is space for two lorries to stand side by side.
Whose path is being obstructed there?

We need rules to be courteous and every one to also use their common sense.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2011, 16:36   #34
BHPian

I can see the point this guy is making about not being able to park his car in the garage. looking at his gate, once he opens it outside (and I am sure it wouldn't be possible to open it inside, he won't be able to park his car lest take it out. The guy should really have sliding gates if he really wants the luxury of no-hassle life.
But this does not mean you were wrong as you dutifully agreed to move your car. It's only when the guy started making a fuss about that you retaliated which IMO is prefectly right. Just because he has a house in the lane doesn't mean he owns the road. He should have spent an extra buck to built his gate to his need or else he should be patient.

and it's no point wasting your precious time thinking about such freaks. People who bring the ladies into altercations don't deserve any respect and you should be glad you didn't pay any. Nothing personal but what if you were one of those uncivilized ones, what would that guy answer his mother then
Old 29th March 2011, 16:41   #35
Senior - BHPian

Relax Spitfire dude. Although what you are saying makes perfect sense, the question is, who is going to build footpaths, and then mark areas for parking? The apartment builder can't do that. The people staying on that street can't do that. There is only one authority that can do that, and that authority does not want to do that.

The problem lies with this authority and not with SupremeBaleno, or with the other guy!
Old 29th March 2011, 17:06   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The replies to the thread are utterly ignorant one's. A road is "NOT" a free for all parking area.

The OP should have parked inside the compound or some other place where it does not hinder anybody else.

The IKON guy was right in creating a scene. I come across this upteem times on the road.

Park in a assigned parking spot don't park wherever is convenient to you.

I know its hard to digest this here in India. But as we all know Ignorance is bliss for us Indians. We need boards and rules to drill it into us.

And more surprising is the fact that this happens to be on the most viewed automotive forum in India.
Sorry the motor vehicles act disagrees with you
http://morth.nic.in/writereaddata/su...2139177636.pdf

This document clearly gives the details where you can and cannot park.
Old 29th March 2011, 17:11   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmytravel View Post
.... looking at his gate, once he opens it outside (and I am sure it wouldn't be possible to open it inside, he won't be able to park his car lest take it out. The guy should really have sliding gates if he really wants the luxury of no-hassle life.
Good catch! This guy must be obstructing traffic several times in a day while opening the gates and getting away with it. And he has the cheek to accuse someone who has parked his car in the best possible way, under the given circumstances.

@Spitfire's suggestions are best understood in western countries, where parking spaces are clearly demarcated, and highways have shoulders to take care of emergeny parking.

It is a different ball game in India, where neither the government nor the people have the will to proceed in that direction.
Old 29th March 2011, 17:11   #38
BHPian

Quote:
He mumbles something about some sick person at home and so possibility of him having to take the car out at odd times. Even though I have parked it correctly & I can see that there is more than enough space for him to both park and take out his car, I decide to move my car on hearing the medical stuff.
Quote:
Meanwhile his aged Mom comes on the scene and says "Why all this trouble, thambi? He is returning from work and has not had his dinner. Plus his Dad is a patient etc etc".
My take, perhaps, the neighbor has had enough bad experiences with the cars being parked in front of the apartment and him not being able to take out the car on emergency occasions, probably for taking his dad to doctor. He was being paranoid, all right, but maybe with a good reason.

I have been at the receiving end many a times, where people park their cars in front of my gate ensuring that my car cannot be removed. After they come back, they make excuses like i was about to be back in 10 minutes and remove the car but got delayed, I did not see a car here etc., .

Agreed, that the car parked in question was not obstructing the path of the neighbor, but thanks to our absurd (lack of) city planning and lack of consideration among most of road users, many houses have to put up with this day in and day out, which is extremely frustrating. Perhaps that's why he asked the car to be moved.

My 0.02$, whenever possible, just move the car and let the issue go.
Old 29th March 2011, 17:11   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008
SB, the way you parked your Alto is absolutely fine. Coming back to your specific case, if it makes the owner happy, maybe you can park it slightly more up on the curb on right.
mobike008, it was my Baleno - the snap of the Alto was taken just for reference on another day in daylight. And the Baleno was parked with 2 wheels on the curb - in incline position.

A query : If it is illegal to park on all roads, what significance do the "No Parking" zones signify. I would think we should not park at all in NoParking zones, while in unmarked zones, you park without hindering traffic. Is that not the case ?
Old 29th March 2011, 17:13   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
mobike008, it was my Baleno - the snap of the Alto was taken just for reference on another day in daylight. And the Baleno was parked with 2 wheels on the curb - in incline position.

A query : If it is illegal to park on all roads, what significance do the "No Parking" zones signify. I would think we should not park at all in NoParking zones, while in unmarked zones, you park without hindering traffic. Is that not the case ?
If you look at the motor vehicles act link I posted, you have not done anything wrong. It gives details on when you can park if there is "no sign".
Old 29th March 2011, 17:20   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If you look at the motor vehicles act link I posted, you have not done anything wrong. It gives details on when you can park if there is "no sign".
+1. Added to that the 'No Parking' board should be from an authority and not by just anyone, because nowadays we have advertisement boards with no parking, practically hung up on most residential gates.

Cheers,
Old 29th March 2011, 17:39   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire
Even in that pic that Alto is parked incorrectly.
Indeed it is parked incorrectly, because it is facing the wrong side of traffic. But the car was parked there 'momentarily' just so that I can take a snap for this thread. He has a slot inside and does not need to park on the road.

Quote:
Having said all that. If a person asks you to move your vehicle when parked on a public road, unmarked spot, move it.
In all of Velachery (forget 400ms away) there is no road with marked parking, to the best of my knowledge. If I go by your rationale, the nearest I can park would be at the Velachery MRTS station, which is 2kms away - do you really think this is logical or something you would do. If we have marked spots in every area, I would be glad to park there even if it means walking to&from it. But in the absence of the same, I can only be courteous to park as away from the road as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrez02
do you guys think parking our cars as a visitor in a place where it will not create any fuss for anybody is so difficult ? I don't think so. When i visit somebody i see to that i park and block my own visiting place
Which was exactly what I did - blocked the place I was visiting - and ready to move the car if asked to by residents of the place. But the Ikon guy stays on the other side of the road and I did not block his entrance.

Quote:
So where did I park. The lanes around this place are narrow. I parked a full 400 mts away off the road shoulder.
Was it a marked parking ? In the ideal world that you are talking about, after the shoulder we should have a perfectly-laid footpath. I hope you did not park on the footpath.

Quote:
Again an unnecessary point. A broken down car != a parked car. There is a difference.
Your point was about hindrance to others, which would be in either case.
Old 29th March 2011, 17:41   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That law does not apply here.

Only if there is sufficient traffic in that street and that traffic is getting blocked by parked vehicle, this law comes into the picture. Manual very clearly states that.

And in such case, police can tow away the vehicle. Manual also states that they have to record evidence prior to that.

Even if the vehicle is parked in parking lot, police can tow away the vehicle at its own cost if it needs to do that for accommodating traffic.
Old 29th March 2011, 17:44   #44
BHPian

Quote:
I parked my car on the street alongside their gate, with the passenger-side adjacent to the gate. Infact, my car was parked in an incline position - in my effort to keep it as close as possible to the gate to avoid taking too much road space.
Supreme Baleno, you were right. I must salute your efforts in parking responsibly. In the pic, your friend's alto is parked perfectly OK, but you? You took the effort to park your car 50% on the curb (which I think, belongs to the Apartment / meant for trees), and 50% on the part of the road not used much. Not used much? Why do I say this? Just look at the dust on the road where the alto is parked.

@Spitfire, chill!! :Let's go to Jayanagar, and we'll have some parking styles to rant at!

EDIT: Something tells me this thread belongs in the "street experiences" section.

Last edited by Arkin evoisrevo : 29th March 2011 at 17:44. Reason: ^^
Old 29th March 2011, 17:48   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post

@Spitfire's suggestions are best understood in western countries, where parking spaces are clearly demarcated, and highways have shoulders to take care of emergeny parking.
I loved the American style of colored pavements. If the pavement is colored RED, don't park. So simple and so effective.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks