Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2011, 14:03   #1
Senior - BHPian

I believe I parked on the street within rules. But a neighbour differs. Who is right?

I had dropped in at my friend's place at Velachery (Chennai) after work around 10PM. Since his apartment-complex does not have parking for visitors, I parked my car on the street alongside their gate, with the passenger-side adjacent to the gate. Infact, my car was parked in an incline position - in my effort to keep it as close as possible to the gate to avoid taking too much road space. Around midnight, the watchman rings the bell and says that I need to move the car since it is obstructing someone else. I assume that a resident of my friend's apartment wants to take his car out and since my car is parked along their gates, I go down to move my car.

But when I go down, I see an Ikon parked outside the apartment near which stands a young guy dressed like he is back from work. I am not sure what the problem my car is causing here because he is not getting his car out of the complex - infact he does not even reside in the apartment. He stays in an independent home opposite my friend's flat and says I need to move the car because while he can park the car in his garage, he would not be able to get it out, if he has to take it out again at night. I tell him that I would be leaving in 30mins anyway. Also, as I see it there is more than enough space for him to park the car and take it out. Plus, if he can park in, would taking the car out be any different ? He still insists I move the car.

I tell him that I see no reason why I should move the car, since I am not obstructing the path to his garage - my car being on the opposite side of the road. He mumbles something about some sick person at home and so possibility of him having to take the car out at odd times. Even though I have parked it correctly & I can see that there is more than enough space for him to both park and take out his car, I decide to move my car on hearing the medical stuff.

I walk to my car & have not yet opened the car door when he says something about visitors to the apartment always parking cars here and how it is a big nuisance. That blows my top and I tell him that I see no reason why cars parked alongside the apartment should be termed a nuisance to someone who stays on the other side of the road. He says something on the lines of "If you dont move the car, dont blame me if your car is damaged". I tell him that I would like to see him damaging the car, lock my car and start to walk back to the apartment.

He says he will call the police to complain about the parking. I tell him that he can complain to anyone he deems fit, since I dont see a mistake on my side. And then the guy rushes off - I assume he has gone to call the cops. Meanwhile his aged Mom comes on the scene and says "Why all this trouble, thambi? He is returning from work and has not had his dinner. Plus his Dad is a patient etc etc". I calmly tell her that even though my car is not parked wrongly or blocking his way, I was about to move it and the only thing that stopped me is his saying that I had parked wrongly, which is not the case.

Meanwhile the guy who I thought was going to the cops went rushing to my friend's apartment, rang the bell and tells him that his guest (me) is fighting with his Mom, while I was talking calmly with her. The poor friend rushes down and tells me to ignore and just move the car. Being a guest, I go by his word to avoid any trouble later for him and move the car. We go back to the flat and 30mins later I leave for home.

I know that parking in a "No parking" zone is illegal. Plus even when no signs are there, parking in front of someone's gate is wrong. But is there any logic in what this guy was saying ? See pic below to get an idea of the situation.

I believe I parked on the street within rules. But a neighbour differs. Who is right?-dsc02852.jpg

My car was parked where my friend's Alto is parked - the gates of my friend's apartment-complex is seen on the right of the Alto. Difference being that my Baleno was parked closer to the gates in an incline position. Plus I had parked it in the opposite direction to how Alto is parked. The gate you see to the left of the Alto is the guy's garage. The pic would also give an idea of how wide the road is.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 29th March 2011 at 14:15.
Old 29th March 2011, 14:40   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: I believe I parked on the street within rules. But a neighbour differs. Who is ri

Its not a no parking, and you are more than 30 feet away from any turn, so as long as there is no "no parking" sign, such parking is legal.
Old 29th March 2011, 14:43   #3
BHPian

Re: I believe I parked on the street within rules. But a neighbour differs. Who is ri

Dont worry buddy, I dont think you at fault here. That guy must have been frustrated with something at work, which he is taking it out on you. Forget him.

Cheers,
Rajesh
Old 29th March 2011, 14:46   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
The gate you see to the left of the Alto is the guy's garage. The pic would also give an idea of how wide the road is.
This is exactly what i noticed near my house in Bangalore. Spot on the same situation and the optra car owner actually asked the opposit house car to be removed to get his optra in his garage! Honestly these guys just cannot negotiate their cars. They are better in small cars and whats more irritating is they think they own the lane in front of their homes
Old 29th March 2011, 14:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

What was he driving? A Hummer?? No wait, even a Hummer can be taken in and out of that spot. Was it a stretch Hummer?
Old 29th March 2011, 14:49   #6
BANNED

To the OP: If you were driving a truck instead of a car you could have still been within the rules by parking there... But then...

Also public roads are not meant for parking cars. Unless they are demarcated as such. I dont see any parking lines there. It should be our courtesy that we park the car a few blocks away or a few meter away to preserve others space requirement.

Did you have to park there right next to the gate? Could you not find a spot to park which could not have created such a situation anyways.

You are not wrong but there is a social responsibility that we carry too.

This is one reason my friends never make out why I don't park in that spot that looks totally legal to them.

Last edited by Spitfire : 29th March 2011 at 14:52.
Old 29th March 2011, 14:50   #7
Team-BHP Support

I live in an independent house opposite a big apartment complex.
Sometimes people park on my side of the road.

But as long as its not blocking my entrance its not an issue with me. Sometimes I might want to park my car outside. Because the parking inside my garage is a bit tight and I need to move my bike out for that.
In such cases, if the space near my side is taken, I park on the apartments side.
Old 29th March 2011, 14:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

I guess that road is wide enough to allow a 407 truck to reverse out of the house with another 407 parked where you car was parked.
This guy was plainly having a bad day, and was taking it out on you.
Old 29th March 2011, 14:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

If you werent blocking any gate on your side of the road. Then you have parked correctly. The guy has ample space to park as well as drive out of his garage which is on the other side of this decently WIDE road. Dont worry about it, you were in the right.
Drive safe!
Just like you did park safe!
Old 29th March 2011, 14:53   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

SB, the way you parked your Alto is absolutely fine. You should see some cars parked in Delhi colonies. They are occupy both side of narrow lanes and you have to even squeeze an Alto through them and sometimes after extending your arm out to close the ORVM

That's because of increase in disposable incomes in each house who are now sporting minimum 2 cars and there is obviously no parking space for it.

This phenomena is now extending to Hyderabad as well.

Coming back to your specific case, if it makes the owner happy, maybe you can park it slightly more up on the curb on right. If that also doesnt work for him, then its time to ask him to take a walk !!!

Last edited by mobike008 : 29th March 2011 at 14:54.
Old 29th March 2011, 14:54   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Nothing wrong here that i see.
Unless he was driving a humvee, towing a humvee.
I think that is misdirected rage from somewhere else, and came out where he saw a safe zone, ie, home.

Sad, though.Just for want of having the last word, and be one up, it escalated.
Old 29th March 2011, 14:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

That guy must have had a bad day in office. I see no reason why he should have a problem taking his car in or out of his garage. Your car is not even on the same side as his house!! Anyways, it was good that you removed your car to avoid any trouble to your friend.
Old 29th March 2011, 14:57   #13
BHPian

I guess this is something very common. Like sumathindra mentioned there are lots of idiots who cant negotiate their cars. I guess this guy thinks driving an Ikon is like driving a freight truck. Creating a scene for absolutely no reason is supposedly the best stress reliever. I guess he had some issue with someone who parked in front of his gate before and actually created a nuisance for him and he is just trying to mark his turf so that he won't have to go through that again. No point in arguing with people like that especially in your case when you happen to be an outsider. Though there is nothing wrong from your side we don't get much of a voice.
Old 29th March 2011, 15:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

The Road doesn't belong to that guy and you've every right to park your car there. I really would've wished that you hadn't budged and let your car where it was. I know it's difficult once your friend also got involved but I wish your friend should've taken your side instead of getting bullied by such an unruly neighbour. I really don't think you've done anything wrong.
Old 29th March 2011, 15:03   #15
BANNED

The replies to the thread are utterly ignorant one's. A road is "NOT" a free for all parking area.

The OP should have parked inside the compound or some other place where it does not hinder anybody else.

The IKON guy was right in creating a scene. I come across this upteem times on the road.

Park in a assigned parking spot don't park wherever is convenient to you.

I know its hard to digest this here in India. But as we all know Ignorance is bliss for us Indians. We need boards and rules to drill it into us.

And more surprising is the fact that this happens to be on the most viewed automotive forum in India.

Last edited by Spitfire : 29th March 2011 at 15:04.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed