Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2011, 17:49   #1
Senior - BHPian

Europe 2050: No Petrols or Diesels for you!

Here is something I came across:

Quote:
It is somewhat common sense to suggest that the traditional gasoline-powered car will run out of, well, gasoline, at some point in time.

There is the hope that alternative fuel vehicles, possibly electric vehicles will be able to fill the role of today's gasoline-powered car in a much more environmentally-friendly role. It has largely been a guess when that will be.

The European Union has an answer for you: 2050. By that time, Europeans won't be allowed to drive their gasoline cars into cities in an effort to drastically cut greenhouse gas emissions. The guideline is part of a "Transportation 2050" master plan, which aims to shift especially medium and long-distance travel to railways. The four main goals of the plan are:
  • No more conventionally-fueled cars in cities.
  • 40% use of sustainable low carbon fuels in aviation; at least 40% cut in shipping emissions.
  • A 50% shift of medium distance intercity passenger and freight journeys from road to rail and waterborne transport.
  • All of which will contribute to a 60% cut in transport emissions by the middle of the century.

Europe plans to be supporting its reinvented traffic system with intelligent transport information systems by 2050, which also contribute to much safer traffic conditions. In 40 years, Europe hopes, the fatal accident rate in road traffic will be reduced to close to zero.
While we have to face the eventuality of fossil fuels running out, the thought of someone out there actually thinking about it, planning for it and have documented it itself is both scary and promising - scary because I like the way my car drives, and don't want to miss it, promising for the benefits that would come out of it.

What's more, this has to come to India sometime or other - it may not be in my lifetime, but hope the kids have a cleaner future!

Source 1
Source 2
Old 31st March 2011, 18:11   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Europe 2050: No Petrols or Diesels for you!

This is what we call "Fake Environmentalism".
Say something so far in future, that nobody can hold you accountable.
I also would like to make an announcement,
"I promise I will eradicate hunger in the world by 2100 AD".
Old 1st April 2011, 23:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quite true. The first thing that crossed my mind when I read this was "will I be alive then?!" - But honestly, on one hand we crib about the lack of long term vision by our planners. And when some is attempting it elsewhere, we get skeptical.

If this is planned properly, its a great initiative, I'd say.
Old 27th September 2012, 15:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

This is requisite planning given that gasoline is a non renewable resource and if forced to choose, governments would probably side with industry over personal vehicles for first allocation of gasoline. After all industry brings jobs and economic growth.

I have to believe that electric and other renewable energy vehicles can eventually be good enough to deliver the same power/performance with a long enough range as we get from today's petrol powered cars.
Old 27th September 2012, 15:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

A typical EUSSR directive to wreck productive industry and direct massive subsidies to develop green technology. The R&D will be on the back of EU taxpayers. The bright side is that the EU won't exist by 2050 given the current love for the unelected bureaucratic deadweights.
Old 27th September 2012, 16:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

I am not that skeptical about this study. There are a lot of concept and working prototypes for high speed and very efficient rail systems in europe. All they had to do is levy congestion charges for most of city areas similar to London where they do it for main parts.

With this proposal, probably they will grant more research money to various bodies which will then work on realizing alternate means for transport.

Its not just about non-availability of gasoline, its about the effects on environment also. When every household in the world is powered with electricity and it being used for entertainment and pleasure also, I see no reason why it wouldn't be used for transportation. Only thing left is make them cleaner and efficient.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks