Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2011, 17:46   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Overdrive Magazine plagiarizes my Travelogue (now resolved!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Overdrive magazine have stolen my travelogue "The white travelogue"
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ml#post2266159 (The White Travelogue - Kalpa-Sangla-Narkanda) and published it in their April issue!

To add insult to injury, they have also called me a reader of overdrive magazine, which I certainly am not.

I guess they must be running out of content!
I have not been compensated in any way for my pictures, nor have they taken permission to publish my text and pictures!

I guess this is the state of their ethics! Now you know how much you can trust anything they do!
Another thing they had done is that they have modified my words from the travelogue to say that I use Goodyear tires. I do not use Goodyear tires. Infact, the safari has never worn Goodyear!
EDIT: I would also like to mention another fact here.
I occasionally get PMs on various forums from magazines etc., asking for high res images to publish article. Usually I send such PMs or mails to trash, I completely ignore them. This time also last month I got a PM on another forum from somebody claiming to be from OD. I sent the PM to trash. The guy still went ahead and copied the entire travelogue.
Tanveer: Thats a serious issue. It needs to be condemned outright.
You appear to be using the email route initially. Sure if the things are settled amicably there's nothing like that.
I am sure you will if not satisfied with the response by email file a civil suit after giving notice to OD publishers.Please make the publisher, Editor and all the others down the heirarchy viz. Dy editor/s, Sub editors and also Goodyear (their top man in the marketing/advertisement department) as respondents.
Let all of them appear through their attorneys.I will in no way absolve Goodyear from the matter.Their advertising department is very much involved.
The civil case will go on for a few years at least.The body of the petition will list all the wrongs done by the publishers viz. OD and others (Goodyear). The annexures will comprise the OD article with its date of publication and printouts (colour will be better) of teambhp thread by you with all the pictures and dates to show that this precedes the date of publication of your article as alleged. If you have those pm's preserved in your trash bin these can be resurrected and printouts annexed to the civil suit.The OD publishers and M/s Goodyear have committed "breach of trust".
You can demand the following as Prayer in the last section of your suit.
__________________________________________________ ___________
(1) Order OD magazine to pay a compensation of Rs ______lakhs to bear the cost of this civil suit and compensate for the mental torture, agony and lowered self esteem the petitioner underwent,after his article/thread was illegally plagiarized.On the other hand, the OD magazine and M/s Goodyear have gained public esteem of its readership, aided with commercial gains by M/s Goodyear.
(2) Order M/s Goodyear to pay a compensation of Rupees _________lakhs for wrongfully, illegally and without written or any other form of consent, using the petitioner as their brand ambassador for pure commercial gains.The petitioner has never used Goodyear tyres on his Tata Safari and has never endorsed their use by others by any medium.
(3) Restrain the OD publishers and M/s Goodyear by passing an injunction to prevent them from plagiarizing any such articles, write ups, travelogues from websites or from any other sources, as the publishers appear to be quite seasoned in doing such illegal acts of commission, going by their illegal deeds. These illegal acts of commission may similarly hurt, agonize and cause mental torture to other innocent authors.*
(4) By a court order, direct the publishers and Goodyear to publish a one page apology in their earliest, forthcoming issue, citing this civil suit and the hurt, agony and mental torture it has caused to the petitioner for no fault of his.
__________________________________________________ _
* If in future this act is done by either OD &/or Goodyear, a contempt of court suit can be filed by the respective party with your court order/judgment copy.The contempt petition filed by the new aggrieved party in a competent court will surely unnerve the wrong doers.
The civil suit can be filed anywhere in India preferring the place where you normally stay, as the cause of legal action arises anywhere in India due to the wide circulation the OD magazine has (this is in consonance with the Civil Procedure Code).
After filing the suit and when the court issues notice to the Respondents you can hold a press conference alleging the plagiarism with documents as press handouts.Adverse publicity will hit the nail on the two crooked heads viz. OD and Goodyear.
Buy more copies of the OD issue in reference, as you may need them as and when the civil suit proceeds.
Lastly, I would suggest the watermarking by our Teambhp on pictures should be at the center of each picture, in a larger font.The letters can be in a translucent white and a few other colours (multicoloured) to duck colour matching. This will alleviate most of the plagiarism issues of pictures from here.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 3rd April 2011 at 18:11.
Old 3rd April 2011, 19:17   #107
BHPian

Wow!
Creativity at its finest!
I'm posting a link to this thread on their wall. But since they're deleting the posts, I'm thinking of posting the link to one of their competitors walls! I'm sure Autocar wouldn't delete it!
Old 3rd April 2011, 19:26   #108
BHPian

1) Highly disappointing,Was actually looking to do an internship with these guys! but that plan is obviously cancelled
2)Have spread the word on my facebook wall, Don't know about the legal route you could take, and that's completely your choice, But I think we as team-BHPian's should spread the word among our friends and family not to buy Overdrive.
I believe we auto enthusiasts have a strong influence on our peers for anything automotive related(I don't know about you guys, but my main conversation revolves around cars with anyone in general) so our word would be given a little importance, I don't know how much a legal route would affect them, but if they're sales are affected, that's hitting them where it hurts!
Old 3rd April 2011, 21:17   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFrancis View Post
I'm posting a link to this thread on their wall. But since they're deleting the posts, I'm thinking of posting the link to one of their competitors walls! I'm sure Autocar wouldn't delete it!
I think that is a pretty good way to make people aware of this act . But legal way is the way to go .
Old 3rd April 2011, 21:25   #110
BHPian

@sirishchandran tweet him! and send it to a few others like ibnlive
Old 3rd April 2011, 22:37   #111
BHPian

Really really sad and shocking!!

I posted this matter in my blog:
theNetGuruZ Tech Blog | Web Agency » Blog Archive » Overdrive Magazine Steals Content

This blog is 3+ years old and get good visitors from all over world so this should bring them some trouble! Overdrive cannot delete this
Old 3rd April 2011, 22:55   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He has some lovely pics of the storm. But somehow I missed this status update of his. Looks like Overdrive magazine does this on a regular basis!
Time to make yourself a billionaire. Get yourself the perfect lawyer and pay him 25%, you will still get to be a billionaire.
Old 3rd April 2011, 23:44   #113
Senior - BHPian

Really disappointed with Overdrive. Hope they compensate you sufficiently.

PS: I've done some tweeting
Old 4th April 2011, 08:19   #114
BHPian

OD is really in a bad shape. But for once they have put in an article worth reading and viewing! Nevertheless It was cruel on you! Hope you would take them to task for doing this.

Quote:
Jay, I am opposed to punishing regular members. A lot of members use my pics as wallpapers, and for personal collection. I am perfectly okay with that.
Oh thank god, I thought you were going to sue me too! Thanks for the lovely wallpapers!
Old 4th April 2011, 11:33   #115
Team-BHP Support

thanks for your support everyone. I have been inundated with PMs from well wishers. Thanks a lot!
I would like to ask if anybody knows the twitter/facebook accounts of Goodyear and Goodyear India. I think they need to know about this too.
Old 4th April 2011, 11:42   #116
Senior - BHPian

@tsk1979: @goodyear_uk is twitter handle for Goodyear UK. Could not find the Goodyear India twitter handle.

Goodyear website have a link to sent your queries to their global communications department - not sure if it would be of any use, but the link is Goodyear Corporate | Contact Us

Edit: posted this on my FB wall, twitter stream, even mentioned @odmag in the tweets.
Old 4th April 2011, 12:17   #117
Senior - BHPian

I used to be a 'proud' subscriber of OD till I read this. Now the feeling of being associated with such thieves is unbearable . I don't know how can I help tsk1979's cause but I can do my bit in my own ways :

1. My subsciption is due for renewal in June, so I'll be getting renewal reminder letters and calls very soon. I am going to rebuke them mentioning the exact details of this incident.

2. I'll pass on this information all my friends whom I recommeded 'the OD' and will ask them to do same when their subsciption renewal is due.

3. The Facebook page of OD can expect a lot of postings from a pissed off suscriber. Lets see if they can delete more or I can post more.

4. And as a 'PROUD' subscriber, I am writing a congratulating mail to OD team for their efforts in copy-pasting and modifying something which was not theirs and taking credit for that and 'enhancing the trust' that I had in their articles. Mentioning the above two points as well, I'll request the editor to publish my mail as 'Letter to the Month' in next edition and ask for the award.

5. Will try to find out the contacts of the highest possible official at GY and post it publically on this thread, so the members can contribute their bit as well.
Old 4th April 2011, 13:10   #118
BANNED

Shame on Overdrive , what a LOW to be .

Some one does the hard-work & these thieves try to get the advantage !

outrageous act , by a petty criminal mind .

I think you can find a legal remedy , its not the Question of money its the pride .

Overdrive has gone bad to worst .

Sudarshan
Old 4th April 2011, 14:23   #119
BHPian

This is really shocking news!!!
You should make them pay you a FAT compensation.
I just posted this thread's link on their FB page.
Old 4th April 2011, 16:52   #120
Team-BHP Support

I think as many of us should write to their editorial email ID with this link and mention what a shame it is what OD has done. Let them be inundated with emails from readers - request your friends to write to them too. I'm certainly not buying OD for a while now.

In any case they write and review like a bunch of over-excited teenie boppers when they review high end cars.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed