Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2011, 15:03   #1
Team-BHP Support

Overdrive Magazine plagiarizes my Travelogue (now resolved!)

Overdrive magazine have stolen my travelogue "The white travelogue"
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2266159 and published it in their April issue!

To add insult to injury, they have also called me a reader of overdrive magazine, which I certainly am NOT!

I guess they must be running out of content! I have not been compensated in any way for my pictures, nor have they taken permission to publish my text and pictures!

I guess this is the state of their ethics! Now you know how much you can trust anything they do! Another thing they had done is, they have modified my words from the travelogue to say that I use Goodyear tyres. I do NOT use Goodyear tyres. In fact, my Tata Safari has NEVER worn Goodyear!

Here is the proof:
Overdrive Magazine plagiarizes my Travelogue (now resolved!)-1235798886_5yravl.jpg

Overdrive Magazine plagiarizes my Travelogue (now resolved!)-1235798947_kgymtxl.jpg

EDIT: I would also like to mention another fact here. I occasionally get PMs on various forums from magazines etc., asking for permission & high res images to publish article. Usually I send such PMs or mails to trash, I completely ignore them. This time also, last month I got a PM on another forum from somebody claiming to be from OD. I sent the PM to trash. The guy still went ahead and copied the entire travelogue!!!

Last edited by GTO : 5th April 2011 at 09:31. Reason: Changing https to http in the travelogue url, and formatting
Old 1st April 2011, 15:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Overdrive Magazine plagiarizes my Travelogue (now resolved!)

Tanveer,
disgusting ethics from overdrive.

But on a general note, if some one does such things from an open forum like TBHP, is there a remedy possible if at all one want to push it?
Old 1st April 2011, 15:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Oh come on! What is the media coming to these days!!

How did you come to know about this?
Old 1st April 2011, 15:10   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Tanveer: This is shocking. Unlike websites pinching a few photos, this is a print publication with your name being used, as well as pictures and text, without your permission.

Now's the time to go after them hammer and tongs.

You got Goodyear tyres on your car?? I believe not... Time to sue Goodyear too!

BTW, you're now famous. So when's the party?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
How did you come to know about this?
Valid question, since...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
To add insult to injury, they have also called me a reader of overdrive magazine, which I certainly am not.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 1st April 2011 at 15:13.
Old 1st April 2011, 15:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

I think there are now laws, that can help you here. Since Overdrive is a magazine, it is not possible to roll back content, so you can claim some compensation. At least, you can get in touch with a lawyer and see what your options are. Chances are, if there are ways you can harrass Overdrive and potentially publish notice of such fraud in leading dailies, they will come to the negotiating table themselves. That should fund some nice Mods for your Safari!
Old 1st April 2011, 15:12   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Time to sue Goodyear too!
Goodyear has nothing to do with this. They just paid for a good article. Issue is with OD.
Old 1st April 2011, 15:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

Overdrive also Plagarised the photos clicked by an avid photographer Nitin Yadav

here's his facebook address and here's what he said-

Nitin Yadav | Facebook

"very disappointed to see a mag. like Overdrive used 6 out of 10 pics which are mine in the article on desert Storm n no photo credit!! :o("
Old 1st April 2011, 15:16   #8
Team-BHP Support

Actually BHPian amrish posted this here
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ml#post2294849 (The White Travelogue - Kalpa-Sangla-Narkanda)
Quote:
Hi tanveer, just wanted to congratulate you again, but this time for having this trip featured on the April issue of Overdrive mag. Great writeup and the pics look amazing on paper. Just love the shot of the snow covered road.

I believe we have a celebrity among us now .
I was shocked after reading this!

Regarding what to do next, have any of you some experience with dealing with such things?
Old 1st April 2011, 15:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Oh boy!! Sad state of affairs at OD. Good it came to your notice. You planning on action against them??
Old 1st April 2011, 15:17   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Overdrive also Plagarised the photos clicked by an avid photographer Nitin Yadav

here's his facebook address and here's what he said-

Nitin Yadav | Facebook

"very disappointed to see a mag. like Overdrive used 6 out of 10 pics which are mine in the article on desert Storm n no photo credit!! :o("
He has some lovely pics of the storm. But somehow I missed this status update of his. Looks like Overdrive magazine does this on a regular basis!
Old 1st April 2011, 15:21   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Goodyear has nothing to do with this. They just paid for a good article. Issue is with OD.
Quoting from the text of the article...
Quote:
I couldn't help but think about the Goodyear tyres on my car. I had put on the new tyres a few weeks before the trip. The grip they offered was excellent.
That's what I mean. Tanveer's never been on Goodyear tyres, nor mentioned anything of the sort, so Goodyear would be directly responsible for the back-door marketing.
Old 1st April 2011, 15:22   #12
BHPian

:O
This is serious copyright violation. How can you keep quite and do nothing about it???
You have a valid case here. Did they at least mention your name??
Anyway, this is not the first case of plagarism by car magazines. Recently, a photo taken by my friend Karan Sharma, was also plagarized by Zigwheels, and all he got was a quaint reply. The picture, of a 1:18 model car, was printed in Times Of India Newspapers throughout India.

BTW: I was planning to buy a couple of car magazines today after a very long time; and I'm not sure if I should buy OD after all.
Old 1st April 2011, 15:27   #13
BHPian

Hi Tanveer,

I would suggest to write a mail to overdrive with cc to Network 18. If you do not get a formal and encouraging response, find a lawyer who works on success fee and has experience in copyright violations........ Please do not leave them as it is and trust me it wont bother you in terms of time devotion to the case.

here is what got from TV 18 website

Complaints relating to Content
Any complaint relating to content of TV channels of Television Eighteen India Ltd. namely: CNBC TV18 & CNBC Awaaz, under the Code of Ethics & Broadcasting Standards and News Broadcasting Standards (Disputes Redressal) Regulations of News Broadcasters Association (NBA) shall be made by a person aggrieved within a reasonable time not exceeding 7 (seven) days from the date of first broadcast to the following person appointed by the Company whose details are reproduced below:

Ms. Kshipra Jatana
General Counsel
Television Eighteen India Limited
Express Trade Tower
Plot No. 15 & 16, Sector 16A
Film City
Noida, Uttar Pradesh 201301
Phone: + 91 120 4341818
Fax: +91 11 66173955
Email:complaint@network18online.com

However, before making a complaint viewers are encouraged to go through the Code of Ethics & Broadcasting Standards, News Broadcasting Standards (Disputes Redressal) Regulations and Guide to the Complaints Process. These details are available on the website of NBA www.nbanewdelhi.com

Last edited by 911varun : 1st April 2011 at 15:32.
Old 1st April 2011, 15:34   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Regarding what to do next, have any of you some experience with dealing with such things?
Dude, I dont have any experience in dealing with these things. But all I can say is plagarism must be dealt with seriously. Since you have written the content in one of the public forum, the content belongs to you/public forum.

After looking at Navpreet's post we can say that this is not the one-off case from Overdrive. They are doing it on regular basis. Begin an organisation, that too in the print media, they should have had a strict policy on plagarism. I guess you can take up this issue with Overdrive ob behalf of all the guys who are affected with this.

You can consult a lawyer and send a legal notice to Overdrive. Atleast byu this Overdrive and similar magazines will copy content without proper permission.

OT: If you were in Bangalore I would have suggested you to go to TV9(Aaj Tak of Karnataka)
Old 1st April 2011, 15:35   #15
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer,
This is a magazine and not a website which can simply make the picture disappear from the website. There is ample proof.

OD has to pay you compensation. Period.

Calling all competent lawyers on this forum to chip in with suggestions.

And do not spare Goodyear also. Make them cough up a fat compensation and get for yourself a G-Wagen.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks