Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2011, 15:27   #1
dot
Senior - BHPian

Safety Concerns at Public Places

Inorbit mall opens on Nagar Road, Viman Nagar, Pune. Visited today, thanks to the tip from @mdsaab. Pretty large mall with a very nice setup as expected from Inorbit. Decent parking space also. However there is a interior decor issue which can be very dangerous for kids. The glass railings around the walkways end up with a fairly big gap near the pillars. Moreover there is a generous gap between elevator opening and the glass railings. Here are a couple of snaps of the gaps taken from cellphone. The gap is big enough for a small kid who can walk around.

Safety Concerns at Public Places-03042011324.jpg
Safety Concerns at Public Places-03042011325.jpg

My four year son and me were outside the Fabindia shop on the first floor. He was playing while I was looking around. Suddenly I noticed him playing near the pillar next to the glass railings. Then I noticed the gap and he was like a feet away. My blood froze. Quickly I grabbed his hand and moved him away from the corner.

I am not trying sensationalize the issue. Just be careful if you are visiting the mall. Lets remember that due to such a design mistake, a kid lost his life at Garuda Mall in Bangalore a few years back. Just imagine, the state of his parents. A family destroyed in a flash.

I brought up the matter to the Inorbit staff. To their credit, they immediately acted on the matter and placed flower pots on the area. Here is a picture. However the gap continues to be there, specially the ones next to the escalators.

Safety Concerns at Public Places-03042011326.jpg
Old 3rd April 2011, 17:17   #2
BHPian

Re: Inorbit Mall opens in Pune - Be careful with kids

@dot Useful piece of information there, I am planning to visit this mall with my family very soon, will check out if any improvement has happened after you raised this concern.
Old 3rd April 2011, 23:56   #3
BHPian

Visited the mall today, a nice decent size mall, but yes, as already mentioned in the previous posts this has just opened and would probably take few more weeks/months to be fully operational.
  • Somebody with dust allergy, please be careful while parking, construction is not 100% complete, and parking place can be full of dust at some places

• If one is going to the super market/that includes grocery, very inconvenient of carrying everything in trolley/elevator as there is provision of only normal one-stair type escalator and not the slopped escalator where one can comfortably carry trolleys full of grocery

• Been to many local vegetable markets (sabji mandi), but even though one can get fish of different qualities, but "fillet" wasn't available in all those mandi`s, here you can get those (I mean for the fish fry, fish finger)
    Prices are quite high (~20% higher) compared to the local veg. markets, eg. Large prawns-750/kg, lobster - 1150/kg

• Cine max has put up a board, so probably they`ll open up soon

• Parking is free, but I doubt how long they would keep it like this, as the parking space is huge to accommodate 100s of cars

• Staff on the entire mall was very courteous to say good morning/namashkar in/out of stores

Overall a good place for timepass as of now.

Last edited by AvonA7 : 4th April 2011 at 00:04.
Old 4th April 2011, 01:05   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

This is EXACTLY what happened in Garuda mall, Bangalore.Today, Garuda mall has a net above the ground floor and they have also closed the gaps.

I think Inorbit mall should make the changes immediately. If a tragic accident occurs due to their negligence, it will be really sad.

@Dot --- It's really nice to see someone who goes to a mall and notices such small things!

Edit: Links regarding the old article.

The Hindu News Update Service
Old 4th April 2011, 02:16   #5
dot
Senior - BHPian

@Nikhilb2008, I cant forget the Garuda incident. Somehow it has stayed in my mind. Every mall, airport or other large public places we go to, I try to keep an eye out for these things.
Old 4th April 2011, 02:30   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Inorbit mall opens on Nagar Road, Viman Nagar, Pune. Visited today, thanks to the tip from @mdsaab. Pretty large mall with a very nice setup as expected from Inorbit. Decent parking space also. However there is a interior decor issue which can be very dangerous for kids. The glass railings around the walkways end up with a fairly big gap near the pillars. Moreover there is a generous gap between elevator opening and the glass railings. Here are a couple of snaps of the gaps taken from cellphone. The gap is big enough for a small kid who can walk around.

Guys,
Really Sorry for being Harsh here; but aren't we suppose to take care of our own kids rather than blaming others for the design? I am not saying that the Mall owners should be negligent on their part, but aren't we being more complacent in this case now.

Why are we ourself not responsible for taking care of our own kids like our parents were? Why do we blame for everything that happens to our kids on others.

This is just a thought.

Note from Team-Bhp Support. Please use proper punctuation, avoid typing..........like.............this. Thank you.

Last edited by Amartya : 4th April 2011 at 05:50. Reason: Formatted the post. Thanks.
Old 4th April 2011, 09:19   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeshdamle View Post
Guys,
Really Sorry for being Harsh here; but aren't we suppose to take care of our own kids rather than blaming others for the design? I am not saying that the Mall owners should be negligent on their part, but aren't we being more complacent in this case now.

Why are we ourself not responsible for taking care of our own kids like our parents were? Why do we blame for everything that happens to our kids on others.

This is just a thought.
That's ok!
Consider this:
You take utmost care of your kids, and yet, kids have bruised knees, sometimes scarred, fractures!
you can't avoid that can you!?

Well, then, the given conditions above &
The gaps between the railings and all

You can do the math.

And, the guy is letting us all know beforehand, he is not banning the mall, or stopping us from going!
It's a nice gesture from him to share here.
(And, if we think its important enough to post here, we can at least thank him!)
Heck, I think, even I play a lot around the malls! Even I could fall from the gaps there!

@dot,

Thanks man, we appreciate your concern!

care,

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 4th April 2011 at 09:21.
Old 4th April 2011, 10:19   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

This is just a thought.
It is not possible to spend 100% of time and attention looking after kids.
Smother them like that, and you will go nuts, and your kids will start hating you.

Anyway, the people who design and build malls should be aware of Health and Safety regulation and best practices. It is their responsibility to think of such things when putting up such places where large crowds of people visit, and they know that kids will also be amongst the visitors.

It is unfortunate that such an important thing like Health & Safety in our country is just normally lip-service. I see this everyday, even in my office. Most of the things are done for passing audits, not as part of our work culture.

If this was the US, then the builders would keep this in mind to avoid any risk of litigation. Here it's probably cheaper to ignore such things. Later if any accident happens, they will deal with it then. Probably pay off someone and things will go on as if nothing happened.

I really appreciate the OP who took the effort to go and tell the Mall management. I sincerely hope the management will fix the problem properly instead of just putting potted plants in the gap!
Old 6th April 2011, 16:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

Abhijeet, thanks for the lovely gesture of letting us know.

I do know, that you are not trying to sensationalize the issue, only trying to make people aware of the potential hazards. The operational guys who acted promptly (though in a Kaam Chalau manner) do deserve a pat on the back.

And to you my friend, a heartfelt thank you for pointing out such small but significant things. Way to go Mate!
Old 6th April 2011, 16:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

@dot - Thanks mate for the advance warning. Appreciate it.

I am planning to go there on the weekend and would be vigilant. I believe Shoppers Stop have opened their new outlet in the same mall. Am i right?
Old 6th April 2011, 16:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,
Jayesh, no need to be sorry for your view, buddy.

But I like my kid to walk around on her own and explore her world her way. At the same time, i need to make sure there are no loose electric wires for her to grab or other such dangers, including the one pointed out by dot.
Old 6th April 2011, 17:00   #12
BANNED

dot commendable job man.

Why don't you let the authorities of this mall know your concern. You can carry a printout of the case in Garuda Mall of Bangalore to give some credence to your report.

My 3 year old son is a riot, he runs faster then I can and wants to climb over everything. I have stopped taking him to malls unless really necessary. The escalator plates freak me out thinking about the sharp edges they create when they fold and how a hard fall on them can be disastrous for anyone, leave alone kids..

Maybe I am just paranoid..
Old 6th April 2011, 17:35   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hey @dot,
Really appreciate you posting this on the forum so that people like us with kids will be more careful and vigilant while visiting inorbit Pune. I have visited the mall twice, and had not noticed this before you pointed it out, and trust me we can't thank you enough for bringing this safety concern to light.

What we do as a precautionary method with our baby, is that when visiting a place for the first or second time we usually carry baby in our arms or let her ride in the stroller. This way we scout the place for danger areas, such as loose wires, loose tiles, high steps etc. and this time, this has really slipped our vigilant eyes.

On the positive side, i am really glad that the authorities at the mall were prompt to put up a temporary fix till hopefully they sort out the issue and fix this design flaw.
What happened at Garuda mall was very sad, and indeed very hard to get out of the mind.

Again, Thank you for bringing this to light, so that parents like ourselves can take precautionary measures not only at Inorbit mall, Pune but other malls that we visit too.

Drive Safe!
Old 7th April 2011, 01:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

Please try and communicate this to those behind the mall. Sometimes they do have people who are just as concerned about health and safety.

I encountered something similar on a family trip to India a few years back at a swanky hotel. The roof terrace had similar gaps in railings as shown in these mall pics. So I took photos and on my return emailed the hotel questioning their commitment to health and safety. A few days later I received a photo and they had bricked up the gaps. I also found that they had floor to ceiling opening windows (did not open on to a balcony) without locks, I alerted staff to this and got moves to another room where the windows did lock.
Old 7th April 2011, 06:36   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
I believe Shoppers Stop have opened their new outlet in the same mall. Am i right?
I heard Spar Hypermarket has also opened in the same complex.

Last edited by Dippy : 7th April 2011 at 19:55. Reason: Fixing quote

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks