Team-BHP - Moving to Gurgaon - Advise on moving my car
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Moving to Gurgaon - Advise on moving my car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/99421-moving-gurgaon-advise-moving-my-car.html)

Hi folks. I am moving to Gurgaon from Bangalore this month. I am contemplating moving my KA registered car to Guragon. I wanted to know from people here on what is the procedure for transferring my car registration to HR. Is the process simple or too much of a hassle? If so I can even look at selling my car here and buying a new one. Kindly advise if anyone here has already done it.

No need of transferring your reg from KA to HR as many people drive their existing state cars in the town they work.

The only problem you may get is cops checking out your papers more often than they would if it was a local reg.

You need to ask yourself - how many years are you moving here for ? Is it temporary or permanently.

Resale value is good down south and not very good here in NCR. So if you bring your car here and then decide to sell it after a few months you will get pathetic value for your KA car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vkochar (Post 2309602)
You need to ask yourself - how many years are you moving here for ? Is it temporary or permanently.

Resale value is good down south and not very good here in NCR.

The question above is important. Even if you intend to return to KA, will you be bringing your KA car back?

And the resale value difference gives you arbitrage opportunity. Sell your car in KA and buy a pre-worshipped car in NCR. A bit of work, but can be fun too for a petrolhead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vkochar (Post 2309602)
No need of transferring your reg from KA to HR as many people drive their existing state cars in the town they work.

The only problem you may get is cops checking out your papers more often than they would if it was a local reg.

Resale value is good down south and not very good here in NCR. So if you bring your car here and then decide to sell it after a few months you will get pathetic value for your KA car.

Thanks for a quick response. Am definitely not moving for the long term. Maybe 2 to 3 years as of now. I know a lot of people with DL and HR registrations in Blore for 2 to 3 years without changing. So was wondering if I could adopt the same strategy there? How r cops there and will they force me to change to HR registration?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nurni76 (Post 2309623)
I know a lot of people with DL and HR registrations in Blore for 2 to 3 years without changing. So was wondering if I could adopt the same strategy there? How r cops there and will they force me to change to HR registration?

Cops in NCR are definitely not going to force you for HR registration, they are more receptive to vehicle with registration numbers from other states compared to cops in Bangalore. You can drive you KA number car without any problem, lots of people do.

Welcome to the most over-hyped village in the country! :-)

No need to do any transfer stuff. Just ship it over / drive it over, and keep driving it, as is, for as long as you wish to. You will not be harrassed anywhere in NCR.

If your car is over 3 years old, its better to sell it and buy a new car in NCR. Reason as mentioned by vkochar, resale value in NCR is less and new car prices are also the lowest across the country. Plus you can haggle much more than you can in B'lore.

If its a comparatively new car, just ship it and drive it. Nothing to worry about :).

No need to transfer the KA registered car to HR. For that matter in none of the nearby states as well no cop is is going to ask you to change to a local registration number.

With that one question arises, may be I am stupid enough to ask this basic thing. Why is it necessary to get the vehicle transferred ? And if the vehicle is transferred then do we have to pay fresh road tax ? If yes, what happened to the road tax that we paid to the previous registering authority, do we get back (may sound height of optimism in asking money back from the Black Holes of people's personal money lol:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by AutoNoob (Post 2309784)
With that one question arises, may be I am stupid enough to ask this basic thing. Why is it necessary to get the vehicle transferred ? And if the vehicle is transferred then do we have to pay fresh road tax ? If yes, what happened to the road tax that we paid to the previous registering authority, do we get back (may sound height of optimism in asking money back from the Black Holes of people's personal money lol:)

The law says that as soon as you move to a new state, you have to re-register your vehicle to the new state within a specified period. However, if you are moving only temporarily, then it is not necessary.
You are supposed to get a refund of the road tax from the old state but till date, i haven't heard of even one person who has successfully got back the road tax he has paid.

There have been two instances wherein yours truly has done this - during 2005 and 2009 till date - two occasions, two different cars, two different parts of NCR (once in Noida and currently in Gurgaon), but same registering RTO - KA03

Don't worry, cops here in NCR have bigger and better things to worry about as against their BLR colleagues :D

And yes, as suggested by others, don't even dream of selling your KA registered car here in NCR, you would lose heavily.

Welcome to the neighbourhood!

Thanks a lot guys. Appreciate your responses. My car is around 4 years old, but in pretty good condition. Though it may be an opportunity for me to sell off this and get one of the new launches planned in the coming months.

Welcome to Gurgaon, I am sure you will love this city.

There is no need of transferring your KA registered car to HR. I have seen cars from UP, Tamil Nadu,Karnataka, Maharashtra, Bihar etc. on Gurgaon streets, So there should be no problem in your case too. But if you sell car here in NCR then you may not get good value for your car.

PS - Which car you own?

Unless your car is BS4...you won;t be able to re-register in NCR.

I'd +1 to Alok and Roy.

Amitoj's idea is swell if you have the time/network and the patience - your ID indicates you'd prolly be married (assuming born in 1976) ergo not worth your time. Even otherwise, unless you're 110% sure of staying here 3 yrs, its risky - what if u need to go back - then his idea can really backfire :D

Kochar saab - aapko kabhi kisi ne roka? I rode a UP80 bike for six years all over NCR & Gujarat & bit of Maharashtra and no ONE gave a damn.

Till date, I have never seen or heard of anyone in Delhi being stopped by police for any reason except speeding/jumping lights. Its not bengaluru :) (except the boring blockades they set up for no reason in Delhi except to hold up traffic and harass the odd motorcyclist)

There is no need to sell your car and buy a new one in Delhi NCR
I have been driving a MH registered car in Delhi for 8 months now and a friend of mine is driving his MH regd car in Delhi for more than 3 years now. No issues what so ever.
So keep it and forget about any issues cropping up.
Cheers