Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2014, 12:26   #1
BHPian

My Hyundai i20 gets some basic ICE

A good audio system was always in my radar, however due to lack of proper knowledge and not so good car accessories shops in Pune I could never manage to have a good system installed.

I am a kind of guy who never believes in putting money without thorough research. I should know what the guy is doing with my car. If I am in doubt, I ask and I ask a lot .

I became a regular visitor in the ICE section and I must say it was damn addictive as I not only learnt a lot about ICE but quite a bit about audio in general. Till this time I was happy with my Sony Xplod Sub and a 2 channel amp which I installed in my Wagon R in 2005 which then got shifted to my Verna in 2009 and still doing its duty.

To start with, I was a confused guy with no pre defined budget; sometimes I promised myself not to cross 15K, sometime 20k and sometimes 10k. I now realized that there is no limit and it’s all about your taste and the length of your pocket .

I wanted clean audio output with unmistakably defined highs and lows with less sub bass intervention.

The amplifier selection –

It was quite a time consuming job and being a puzzled guy (You get puzzled when you have half knowledge of everything) I was not clear if I wanted an entry level amp or a mid ranged amp. I decided on Kenwood Kac M846 but the unavailability of the same left me with JBL X646 which had some reliability issues as per the market feedback. Found some good reviews of JBL 804EZ and went ahead. It sounds wonderful and I am fully content with its massive output. You can’t sit in the car above 80% volume. The car dimensions can not handle the level of loudness. The sound is clean till 100% volume but you need to step out of the car. Keep both the doors open and you have a live DJ and the car surroundings become your dance floor.

The Sub –

I wanted a company sealed enclosure as I was not confident with those boomy boxes which accessory shops offer. Decided on JBL 1215B, the performance is strictly OK as the price is also quite reasonable. Future upgrade – may be an Infinity 120.9

Components –

I auditioned Focal Polyglass, JBL 609C and Infinity Reference 6500cx. I liked Infinity’s sound signature as it gives out a very clean output of those instruments playing in background (Tabla and guitar) with a rich depth in vocals. The RMS values just matched my amplifier’s output, many would say its not important but the numbers just clicked me and I finalized with Infinity.

The installation was done at Car Cupid Pashan, with some average installers they screwed the installation first time and I left disappointed with the sound output, a quick round of Q & A with DerAlte and I diagnosed what went wrong. So after reinstalling the whole setup I tuned it to my taste and now the output is satisfactory.

Thanks to Sumit Wadhwa(Car Cupid Pashan) for good-naturedly lending me his installer for hours and giving me the freedom to get the system installed my way. Yes, I followed the instruction manuals of all the hardware installs and wherever I got stuck, the installer’s experience did the trick.

The hardware –

Amplifier: 4 Channel JBL 804EZ – Rs. 9763 (Online purchase - Snapdeal)
Sub: JBL 1215B – Rs. 4250 (Online purchase - Snapdeal)
Front components – Infinity Reference 6500Cx – Rs. 6200
Scoche wiring – Rs. 3200
Damping – Dynamat lite 3 sheets – Rs. 4500

Total – 27,913

Special Thanks to – DerAlte for answering all my queries and helping me to diagnose the issues I confronted.
Sukiwa – For showing his ICE’d Innova with focal comps.

The installation pictures -

The budget damping -

My Hyundai i20 gets some basic ICE-img_2464.jpg

Midbass woofer -

My Hyundai i20 gets some basic ICE-img_2459.jpg
My Hyundai i20 gets some basic ICE-img_2460.jpg

The crossover -

My Hyundai i20 gets some basic ICE-img_2465.jpg

Mid bass mounted on MDF spacer -

My Hyundai i20 gets some basic ICE-img_2469.jpg

The amplifier getting installed -

My Hyundai i20 gets some basic ICE-img_2472.jpg

RHS Tweeter -

My Hyundai i20 gets some basic ICE-img_2698.jpg

LHS Tweeter -

My Hyundai i20 gets some basic ICE-img_2701.jpg

The entry level JBL 1215B

My Hyundai i20 gets some basic ICE-img_2705.jpg

Scoche Hi-Low converter (Later it was removed as the JBL 804EZ is capable to take speaker level inputs)

My Hyundai i20 gets some basic ICE-img_2474.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 7th August 2014 at 17:48. Reason: Smileys edited.
sudeep.pandya is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 29th June 2014, 13:42   #2
BHPian

Re: My Hyundai i20 gets some basic ICE

Hi Sudeep,
That looks like a neat install. Congratulations!

I am planning to do something similar. I have started collecting the things to go into my car (Punto - Emotion). I've already picked up the 804EZ and need to pick up the front components and a sub.

I was planning on buying the same sub+enclosure you've bought.
How happy are you with these?

I'm looking for a sub which will do lows without distortion. I'm not worried if the sound level doesn't shake the car next to me, just that i should be able to feel the bass within the car with my windows up (like they are, invariably!). So wondering if these will do the trick.

Also, how was the Car Cupid installation? I was thinking of Poona Motors as they seem to be the most popular installers in town. Dunno how they are with installing stuff bought from outside.
Oh, and how much did you pay for the installation service?

Sorry to bother you with so many questions.

Regards,
ravi
Old 30th June 2014, 11:40   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
Hi Sudeep,

I'm looking for a sub which will do lows without distortion. I'm not worried if the sound level doesn't shake the car next to me, just that i should be able to feel the bass within the car with my windows up (like they are, invariably!). So wondering if these will do the trick.

Also, how was the Car Cupid installation? I was thinking of Poona Motors as they seem to be the most popular installers in town. Dunno how they are with installing stuff bought from outside.

Regards,
ravi
Thanks Ravi, The Sub is good for the price you pay, cant get better than this at the given price point. The output is good as the break-in period is getting over the performance is getting better.
Poona motors have some good installers (That's all I know abt them) I visited that place but dint like the owner's attitude.
Car cupid dint charge for installation as the comps, damping and wiring was purchased from him. The installation was goofed up the first time but was fixed later (The owner is well nature'd guy and tries his best to satisfy his clients)

You can probably audition my setup to have a clear picture.
Old 30th June 2014, 14:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic, @sudeep.pandya! Hope you had applied white petroleum jelly (Vaseline) on the XO terminals. If not, remember to do it the next time you open the door pad.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2014, 17:48   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Fantastic, @sudeep.pandya! Hope you had applied white petroleum jelly (Vaseline) on the XO terminals. If not, remember to do it the next time you open the door pad.
Thanks DA bhai..

Petroleum jelly? what is the idea behind it?
Old 30th June 2014, 18:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep.pandya View Post
... Petroleum jelly? what is the idea behind it?
Prevents corrosion of the terminals due to accumulation of moisture in the door pad cavity, since that cavity (the volume inside the door) pad is not vented. This is usually the most major cause of XO connection failure.
DerAlte is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 20:15   #7
BHPian

Hi Sudeep sir, thanks for sharing this here, this section of the forum really needs some action!
Having auditioned your setup already, I really think this is a super bang for your buck proposition!
I specially liked the amplifier, the Infinitys are inherently sharp, but I really think they will tone down a bit or you'll get used to it! The better option is to upgrade!

I have recently shifted my existing Focal dominated setup from my Polo to my i20, and I am really not happy, although the same equipment made me grin in the Polo, I suppose the primary issue is damping. I am still, looking for some VFM damping sheets, cant find any!

One little advice, keep fiddling with the settings on the HU, Gain, and crossover over frequencies(this one shouldn't be done often!) at times and you will for sure hit that sweet spot!

Go Loud!
599gto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2014, 12:09   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599gto View Post
Hi Sudeep sir, thanks for sharing this here, this section of the forum really needs some action!
Having auditioned your setup already, I really think this is a super bang for your buck proposition!
I specially liked the amplifier, the Infinitys are inherently sharp, but I really think they will tone down a bit or you'll get used to it! The better option is to upgrade!

I have recently shifted my existing Focal dominated setup from my Polo to my i20, and I am really not happy, although the same equipment made me grin in the Polo, I suppose the primary issue is damping. I am still, looking for some VFM damping sheets, cant find any!

One little advice, keep fiddling with the settings on the HU, Gain, and crossover over frequencies(this one shouldn't be done often!) at times and you will for sure hit that sweet spot!

Go Loud!
Thanks 599gto, After fine tuning the complete setup it is now sounding just the way I wanted. Now if I want to take it to next level I will definitely need a sound processor (There is practically no limit in car audio )

Regarding damping sheets, had we met earlier we could have ordered 1 pack of Dampmat and shared the sheets. My current damping anyway costed me 4.5 with half damping done. Some particular mids still make the door vibrate.

I think the disparity of sound in both of your cars is because of the door cavity plus the sheet metal quality and also the crappy i20's head unit. Does your amp take speaker level inputs? (What I have observed is that a Hi-low converter downgrades the sound quality) As in my case, the Scoche Converter did nothing but made the system sound odd with unnecessary hiss sound.
Old 4th July 2014, 21:13   #9
BHPian

599gto seems to have beaten me to the punch!

Do tell me if you're in town this weekend, Sudeep.
If you are, I would love to to get a quick audition since I've seen the sub available on eBay for a good price.

Unfortunately, I don't believe I can PM you because of my membership level.
*sigh*
Old 13th July 2014, 20:35   #10
BHPian

Quote:
599gto seems to have beaten me to the punch!

Do tell me if you're in town this weekend, Sudeep.
If you are, I would love to to get a quick audition since I've seen the sub available on eBay for a good price.

Unfortunately, I don't believe I can PM you because of my membership level.
*sigh*
Have mailed you the details. Lemme kno when u can put up.
Old 4th August 2014, 17:47   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sudeep,

I am planning to do something similar. I have started collecting the things to go into my car (Punto - Emotion). I've already picked up the 804EZ and need to pick up the front components and a sub.

Regards,
ravi

Hi stewie, just read your post so though of giving in my two cents.

If youre still looking for front components, I suggest you invest in a decent pair of components, one can do with a slightly low spec amp if the pair of speakers are good. Focal, Hertz, Rainbow, JBL, are have high on quality but vfm products in their line-up. Also look at the Audison VOCE K6 on teambhp classified! Also the JBL MS-62c is a damn vfm set, completely different from low budget JBLs.

The amp you got there is really nice, I auditioned it on Sudeep sir's set-up and was mighty impressed. Definitely better than most things JBL throws at the market.

For the Sub, I have been using two different Ground Zero subs in two different cars, while the more expensive GZ Titanium sub is a keeper, my other GZ Iridium is decent for the price too. Also the Infinity Kappa 120.9 is a very nice sub as per many ICE fanatics on different forums, never heard so cant comment.

For installations in Pune, I suggest you visit Bafna Cars on Ghole road once, the owner is well informed and his installers are trained to say the least, I have been buying stuff from him since a few years now, and always have been satisfied by the way his installers handle the cars. I am not sure if he will be too keen on installation if you don't buy your equipment from him.

Poona motors is again very good on installation, but his pricing is absurd to say the least! very very expensive, but yes he stocks a wide variety of brands!

Car cupid is just about average, but yes the owner is a real nice person, and is not pushy, his pricing can get better though.
Do let me know if you are keen on Focal stuff, can get you a good price from Bafna!

@sudeep.pandya Got the doors damped and the sound is at least 85% of what I wanted! Also, let me know if you would be interested in sharing a pack of Dampmat! Working on the Polo, should be ready to audition in about a months time, would be happy to get your comments or complements! haha

Last edited by 599gto : 4th August 2014 at 17:52.
599gto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 11:39   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599gto View Post
@sudeep.pandya Got the doors damped and the sound is at least 85% of what I wanted! Also, let me know if you would be interested in sharing a pack of Dampmat! Working on the Polo, should be ready to audition in about a months time, would be happy to get your comments or complements! haha
I already have the dynamat in my front doors. So installing Dampmat will make no or little difference. Rather I am thinking of changing the sub to Inifinity Kappa 120.9.

Sure mate, I would love to audition your system. Juss lemme know when and where.
Old 7th August 2014, 18:02   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Prevents corrosion of the terminals due to accumulation of moisture in the door pad cavity, since that cavity (the volume inside the door) pad is not vented.
Would dielectric grease serve the same purpose as petroleum jelly?
Any advantages/dis, other than the price difference?
Old 7th August 2014, 18:34   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Would dielectric grease serve the same purpose as petroleum jelly?
Any advantages/dis, other than the price difference?
You mean synthetic silicone dielectric grease? Sure, why not. No disadvantages, it is actually better as it will not affect any rubber-based gaskets around it (petroleum derived grease does) - yet provide perfect insulation for preventing galvanic corrosion.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2015, 13:04   #15
BHPian

Was too lazy to update the latest addition, here comes the Infinity Kappa 120.9W
My Hyundai i20 gets some basic ICE-imageuploadedbyteambhp1425713605.137470.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks