Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2011, 11:07   #16
BHPian

Re: Cop mis-using authority / Do I really deserve this for driving safe all this whil

Really appreciate all of what you said. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Do yourself a favour - chuck the incident and drive as you always did. The cop, the swift driver ain't worth it.
Will take some time but; "Yes" I will let it go. Will be more vigilant and agile from now on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i<3turbo View Post
Damn thats really horrible, which part of mumbai this happen maybe i can help you out.
Really appreciate the concern buddy. But I have refrained from using any name, place so as to; not sound wrong. There is very little anyone can do buddy. Just felt like sharing this with our members.

Still if you need any detail you are free to PM me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
I feel deeply for you.There was a vicious circle created which ultimately led to you being at the receiving end of all of all this
Really appreciate all of the concern shown, I shared a similar though after the incident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Driving around in Bangalore, I've had my share of learnings. I've been bothered by these exact thoughts. But I learnt to let go over a period of time.
There is always some thing to learn form what happens to us. I will definitely try to put all this behind me.

Last edited by Furebo : 2nd May 2011 at 11:13. Reason: Addition
Old 2nd May 2011, 11:10   #17
BHPian

Re: Cop mis-using authority / Do I really deserve this for driving safe all this whil

@Furebo
1. The fact that you could not see the cop's bike while reversing and hit him was definitely dangerous. What if it was a small kid in place of a bike? If your car's (20 lakh SUV) visibility is so bad that you cannot back up without the aid of reverse camera, please be patient to not reverse until your camera initializes
2.Were your indicators switched on? Not doing that would have made the swift guy to not realize that you were reversing to parallel park.
3. Not sure how old you look. If you look very young, the cop might have thought that it would be really to vent his frustrations on you and get away. My advice: IT happens and Move on. This charge is not going to really reflect on your driving. If anything, it is only going to make even more better driver.
DWind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2011, 11:22   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
The fact that you could not see the cop's bike while reversing and hit him was definitely dangerous.
Hey buddy I "inched" behind. I dont know how to put this in a better way. The cop was too close to my bumper.

Quote:
What if it was a small kid in place of a bike? If your car's (20 lakh SUV) visibility is so bad that you cannot back up without the aid of reverse camera, please be patient to not reverse until your camera initializes
Point noted.

Quote:
Were your indicators switched on? Not doing that would have made the swift guy to not realize that you were reversing to parallel park.
The swift guy knew what I was up to. I don't blame him. There were cars that came behind the swift and created a racket. I had my hazard lights on at all times.

Quote:
Not sure how old you look. If you look very young, the cop might have thought that it would be really to vent his frustrations on you and get away.
Young if I may add, And I do recollect his attitude changing after my family came along.

Quote:
My advice: IT happens and Move on. This charge is not going to really reflect on your driving. If anything, it is only going to make even more better driver.
Comment taken in a positive sense, Thanks.
Old 2nd May 2011, 11:28   #19
Senior - BHPian

First of all let me say this - s*it happens. And we shouldn't change our behviour because it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furebo View Post
Firstly, thanks for your inputs.

How do you find the charge correct? I merely backed up a couple of inches. Can that be really termed as risking others lives (Driving dangerously).

I didn't mean that you were driving dangerously - that I don't know. What I meant was that he didn't try to frame you into something totally nefarious.

If he can book me under a wrong section, why would he bother about the harassing? He has done his part.

I do not intend to go against him, I will just pursue the issue as long as the procedure demands it.

Exactly my point, it is the word of the police man that will matter and rightly so. But why he is doing this is the question. I have no video recording. Though in the midst of all this I did happen to think about it. I could not do so because my center of attention was the cop.

There is no question he is doing this to "get even" with you. He could have shown some magnanimity but didn't. I would call it heavy-handed.

I did not have four guys in my car, they were waiting for me inside the restaurant. I mentioned earlier that I rushed inside to call them. Agreed that a person if directing me could have avoided the accident. But that is just crying over spilt milk. The concern here is the section the cop charged me under.

All that info was just to explain the situation,I was completely focused while reversing. It was the honking swift and cars behind it causing a mini jam that actually distracted me.

Got it.

Because of the above mentioned swift and traffic. I decided not to wait for the camera to initialize and I started backing up real slow.

NOTE: I checked all mirrors and did not see anyone behind me.

See the thing is you knew there was a blind spot. So depending on mirrors may not be enough.

What do you mean by "perhaps rightly"? I always tip these guys be it just for opening a door! It is just that I prefer to park myself. And the guy not doing his job for any reason let alone a tip is again beyond me.

What I meant was that there are people who use valet services and then don't pay tips. Also I believe most, if not all, of their income is tips so the guy not doing his job if he doesn't expect a tip means he doesn't believe it is his job.

The way he spoke to me showed what he was up-to, These days swanky cars come with drivers. That said the restaurant was not exactly a swanky one. So the guys interest in my car was clearly present.

It doesn't matter, the point still is that the guy behaved in an immature way. Scratches are just a part of our lives. If he could just let go...IMO he Mis-used his power.

You think i'd bother. I am speechless since yesterday. I will not have anything to say (Even in court).

After such a case I doubt that I will be driving. I have been a real careful driver till date and have NEVER been fined. If it was my mistake (driving rashly) I would readily accept any punishment.

This is what I'm telling you not to do. If you sincerely believe you are a good driver and did nothing wrong then why do you let one petty man deprive others on the road from one good driver?

How so Amit? I clearly mentioned that I did what he said and apologized.

I do not intend to fight. I am a really simple guy and I NEVER mess around with people. I do not find the candle part funny at all. Perhaps you do not understand the seriousness of the section he booked me under.

How so? I have been booked under an offense that I could have never committed. I believe in forgive and forget. But this is staying with me.

PS: Anyone commenting on this thread I request you'll to go through the contents properly and avoid asking questions on which I have clarified above. Thank you and please keep the views coming.

I'm sorry about a lot of remarks that came presuming your guilt. People have perception they go with.

Years ago in college during an exam someone asked me a question, I refused to answer and the invigilator without bothering to find what was going on came to me and scolded me like hell - I was absent a lot of times from the class and the guy just assumed I would be the one cheating (I was at the top of the class). Similar thing happened to my roommate - in one of the exams he made a mistake on one of the answers, his rotten luck a girl in our class made the same mistake. My friend was hauled in to answer why did he cheat from the girl (she wasn't even questioned) when my friend had better record till then in that course as well as in the exam !

did these things bothered me then - of course. did they matter in the long run, of course not.

I'm sure if I ask the cop (he said he honked, and you don't disagree) he would recount the events thus - "there was this SUV standing there I came behind <whatever reason> and honked. The careless guy without warning started reversing - even the reversing lights came out at the last moment. I could have been mowed down !"

Now you don't know how he felt or intended, and he doesn't know what you intended. So he might be as honest as you are in describing the same situation.

As I wrote earlier s*it happens. Let it go.

It is better to accept your part and move on.
Old 2nd May 2011, 11:31   #20
BANNED

Cool off man, you are fortunate that he just gave you a challan. Don't ever irritate the Police, even unintentionally. You reversing, the blocking of traffic on a busy road, the swift guy honking all added to his irritation I think.

And, one more thing guage the mamu's mood before you say something like, "..listen to what I have to say.."

And don't worry about the "rash" driving challan, because there is no other definition in our Motor vehicle act like for ex- "non-negligent, low speed collision"
Old 2nd May 2011, 11:40   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
I'm sorry about a lot of remarks that came presuming your guilt. People have perception they go with.
Hey relax, No need to be sorry. I get your point.

Quote:
I'm sure if I ask the cop (he said he honked, and you don't disagree) he would recount the events thus - "there was this SUV standing there I came behind <whatever reason> and honked. The careless guy without warning started reversing - even the reversing lights came out at the last moment. I could have been mowed down !"
Very true, this could be his explanation. I really did not consider this point. Now that I think of it he may have justified the challan thinking about this.

Quote:
Now you don't know how he felt or intended, and he doesn't know what you intended. So he might be as honest as you are in describing the same situation.
I don't know how he felt and I did not say he was dishonest. If he was dishonest then he would never fine me. The way he reacted was completely unexpected. That out of the way; I really don't know his side of the story. He knows mine but he never spoke about his part.

Quote:
It is better to accept your part and move on.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Cool off man, you are fortunate that he just gave you a challan. Don't ever irritate the Police, even unintentionally. You reversing, the blocking of traffic on a busy road, the swift guy honking all added to his irritation I think.
Agreed, I was wrong. I did not intend to nor did I irritate the guy. I apologized. But all the others had parked the same way I did.

Quote:
And, one more thing guage the mamu's mood before you say something like, "..listen to what I have to say.."
What all can one gauge? I asked him to cool down, Before submitting my License.

Quote:
don't worry about the "rash" driving challan, because there is no other definition in our Motor vehicle act like for ex- "non-negligent, low speed collision"
Will not worry but I hope this challan does not cause problems in future.

Last edited by Furebo : 2nd May 2011 at 11:48. Reason: Addition
Old 2nd May 2011, 11:47   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Furebo, the fact is that you did hit him while reversing. While there is no call for anybody in authority to behave rudely and use intimidation and force with any citizen, we all know the reality in this country.

I think you're making too big a deal of the "safe driving" aspect. You know you're a safe driver, everyone you know knows it, so why worry what a challan somewhere "says" about your driving style? It will probably not even be recorded in the system.

Pay the fine, get your license back and drive on!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2011, 11:55   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Furebo, the fact is that you did hit him while reversing. While there is no call for anybody in authority to behave rudely and use intimidation and force with any citizen, we all know the reality in this country.
Valid point, Agreed.

Quote:
I think you're making too big a deal of the "safe driving" aspect. You know you're a safe driver, everyone you know knows it, so why worry what a challan somewhere "says" about your driving style? It will probably not even be recorded in the system.
I guess I got carried away. Thanks for pointing that out.

Quote:
Pay the fine, get your license back and drive on!
Old 2nd May 2011, 11:58   #24
BHPian

Let me guess, You dont speak "Marathi" (local Mumbai language) do you ? as its helps A LOT !! It may sound racist, but trust me it WORKS and thats the only language these guys understand.

Don't worry about such incidents, just believe in your self and keep driving ! This is India, authorities here are made to be abused and forced upon the "common man".

As for the thing going in your records - . I doubt these guys even have a centralized system recording such incidents. For i know, its just a piece of paper torn out of chalan book to complete the days target. The book once emptied goes in a pile of other such books under dust !

Just get your license back and move on :-)

Last edited by dar3dev|l : 2nd May 2011 at 12:02.
Old 2nd May 2011, 11:59   #25
BHPian

Dude, Life is all about uncertainties and surprises . It never goes the way we want it to . Like everybody else we trust your safe driving abilities , but the cop just didnt . Theres very little you can do about it .
Moreover since you drive a SUV , its better to think , we are talking about India here whoever drives a big vehicle has to be more responsible as morons(bikers/ cabbies/ small cas ) keep flirting with you every now and then and it has to be You who has to take utmost care of it all the time .

In India in event of a mishap ,the system always treats the BIG vehicle at fault , so did the moron COP . About mis-using his Power , well he definately did that .

All I would say , though you are not even 0.01% wrong , still you have to live with it , rather you have to LET IT GO .
Old 2nd May 2011, 12:00   #26
Senior - BHPian

Personally, I found what happened to you quiet unacceptable. It is really frustrating, and I really appreciate the way you kept your cool - I am sure if I were in your place, my temper would have landed me in deep trouble. Respect to you for keeping cool under all this pressure.

I hope you have started steps to pay the fine and get your license back.

I got once booked under the same act when I was standing at a signal. Yes, i was stand still, but I got booked because it was around 6 PM and my bike did not had the headlight. Unfortunately my headlight assembly broke that day morning, while I was going to office, and I did not get a replace from Honda showroom that day. I like to get stuff like this fixed by myself, so I went home thinking that I will hunt for the spare next day, and on the way back, this cop saw me standing at the signal and booked me under the section. But to his credit, he was a decent cop and explained me that since he have seen that I do not have the headlight, he have to book me under this section because it is considered as a hazard if you drive without headlight. I accepted it because I knew technically he is true, and we even shared few laughs after I got the challan.

Last edited by theexperthand : 2nd May 2011 at 12:02.
Old 2nd May 2011, 12:33   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar3dev|l View Post
Let me guess, You dont speak "Marathi" (local Mumbai language) do you ? as its helps A LOT !! It may sound racist, but trust me it WORKS and thats the only language these guys understand.

Don't worry about such incidents, just believe in your self and keep driving ! This is India, authorities here are made to be abused and forced upon the "common man".

As for the thing going in your records - . I doubt these guys even have a centralized system recording such incidents. For i know, its just a piece of paper torn out of chalan book to complete the days target. The book once emptied goes in a pile of other such books under dust !

I think everyone here's either quoting the letter of the law (and insulting our friend here in the process) or giving zero thought to the policeman.

I wasn't going to write this (I wouldn't want to accuse Furebo of anything, and what comes below can be easily misconstrued as an allegation), but @Furebo seems to be out of shock and I don't think it'll do him any harm -

If you think from the point of view of the cop - in the moments the car reversed he probably thought of all the spoiled rich kids that have over the years mowed down dox=zens of people on Mumbai streets while driving their cars (what we call on team-bhp) "enthusiastically". Given that the guy was honest (if unfair and ill-tempered) or even slightly dishonest, he might have a lot of pent up anger inside him at seeing all of those guys going scot-free - heck he might even know of more such cases then we do simply because of his job.

Now imagine yourself in his place and imagine a 20L SUV (=rich kid) with windows so high that you can't even gesture to the driver backing up on you all of a sudden - you don't know whether the slow speed is merely a prelude for worse to come. You don't know whether the driver is talking on his phone, making out with his girlfriend ... you do know that such things happen and more often than not the rich kids do go free even when cops are killed (Delhi BMW case anyone?)

That the guy first assumed that there was no license indicates that he was thinking this way already. I can only guess but if Fubero did say "this is merely a scratch" before actually apologising (though I don't think so - but his first post is on those lines) - that would have rightly made the cop angrier and convinced that Fubero was also one of the rich negligent men on the roads who like to waive things off with "complain when something really happens"

In fact many of us in the situation the cop found himself in would have done what he did - quite a few (especially who lose their temper - including me) might have done worse.

Let's give the cop some credit too - he did put in the section that was the most appropriate seen from a passerby's view. I mean a totally power-drunk guy could have put a charge like "assault on a public servant" - and would have proof (and admission of guilt) to back it up. Dangerous driving is a merely a slap on the wrist, assault on a cop puts you in the lockup till the magistrate grants you bail.

Going by fubero's word (and how upset he was last night) I would say that he had the best of intentions. I actually wouldn't blame the cop at all of being anything more than human (and a little heavy-handed).

And overall these things happen.
Old 2nd May 2011, 12:39   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar3dev|l View Post

I don't know the situation now, but in mid-90s I lived in Mumbai (when I arrived it was still Bombay, when I left it was Mumbai) and I found the police and the public servants there really competent and helpful. Now I know there was a lot of corruption in those days too - but these guys were not shameless and wouldn't bother the little man on the street much. I never paid a bribe, and on 3 separate occasions when I asked for directions the policemen took me to the actual place.

I never spoke a word of Marathi.
Old 2nd May 2011, 13:31   #29
BANNED

The problem is that if there is a NEXT time, it will be the second offence against the drivers name - inviting more serious punishment.

Has the details of the accident been logged in the complaint? How it happened etc ?
Old 2nd May 2011, 13:35   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
The problem is that if there is a NEXT time, it will be the second offence against the drivers name - inviting more serious punishment.

Has the details of the accident been logged in the complaint? How it happened etc ?
Actually this is what I'm surprised about

going by the wording of the act (post #1) on the first offence the fine is Rs. 1000, and the second offense it is 2000.

Given that it was Fubero's first offense of any kind (not just section 184) how did he get fined Rs 2000?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks