BHPian

car locks, 0.0 safety

i just came home and pulled my zen on my ramp with parking breaks, engine on
i went to open the gate, came back to my car
oops the car is locked, thanks to central locking
key is inside, engine is on
spare key is dash board box

i called kpzen who lives is my lane

he removed the beeding below the window, used a scale in opened my door is less than 10 seconds.
KPZEN(bhpian) saves my day

is this the safety which car makers give to us ?

i also remember one day some one parked his esteem behind my zen, i waited for 10 minutes and then tried his car with my zen key, it worked and once thought to take esteem but being a **GOOD HUMAN** i locked his car again and went home on my zen.
i have seen 2 incidents where zen key opened in esteem, 1 time it was a brand new esteem.

** = conditions apply
Old 23rd January 2006, 01:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

i could open my friends 800 with my kinetic key.but couldn start the car. are your trying to say your zen key started an esteem ?? or did you just manage to open it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1101
i called kpzen who lives is my lane

he removed the beeding below the window, used a scale in opened my door is less than 10 seconds.
KPZEN(bhpian) saves my day
hey how did you do that.the last time my friend tried doing it when he forgot his keys in the car but he couldn.

Rev
Old 23rd January 2006, 02:24   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech
i could open my friends 800 with my kinetic key.but couldn start the car. are your trying to say your zen key started an esteem ?? or did you just manage to open it.
hey how did you do that.the last time my friend tried doing it when he forgot his keys in the car but he couldn.

Rev
well i only opened the esteem with my zen key, i thought trying to start some strangers car would be a bad idea, lol u know the police station was less then 20mts. or less.

well which car did your friend have ?
i have also opened 800 with scale myself.

about how to do it, here is the way, hope moderators dont mind

........<<for educational use only>>........

1) he just removed the beeding below the window, it allows easy motion for your scale.( warning old beeding will break if they are not flexible )
2) from above the door knob position insert the scale and experiment few times. also pull the door knob in order to open door.
in 800 that black door lock stick comes up when u insert the scale, but i had to insert my scale quite deep( metalic 12inch scale)

is it clear or u need more explanation.

Last edited by amit1101 : 23rd January 2006 at 02:30. Reason: feeling sleepy
Old 23rd January 2006, 02:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

no actually thats exactly what he did but without removing the beeding.but nothing happend.eventually the scale slipped and went inside.and he had to go home to get the spare keys.

Rev
Old 23rd January 2006, 09:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

is your lock an aftermarket accessary ? that might be one of the problems

it reminded of the time when I managed to lock drifters car with key inside that too in Pune. Then some how after a phone call to Hyundai & lot of trying in heavy rain we somehow managed to open it.
It was really funny, as everyone was staring at us
Old 23rd January 2006, 09:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33
is your lock an aftermarket accessary ? that might be one of the problems
Thats a BLACKCAT security system fitted by maruti showroom people as a free accessory...... even i had one but i got pissed off with it and removed each and every part of it from my car...

Even yesterday after opening the car with scale... the system didn't even make a single noise....
Old 23rd January 2006, 10:17   #7
Team-BHP Support

1. When I had a zen on 2 occasions I managed to lock myself out and used the rear hatch window to let myself in. KNowing this weakness I took a bunch of screws cut the heads of and stuck the heads with epoxy on the rubber sealing strip. I did not want to drill the screws as the drill hole is a soruce of rust.

2. In my building there lives a 80 year ofl ENT surgeon. One day he drove home in a brand new red zen.

It was only the next morning when his daughter weto to drive the car that she realised that the car was not theirs. She quietly took the car back to where her father had got it from and found her own car still parked where her father had left it. She then drove away in her car.

The old man, seeing 2 red zens parked near each other, had mistakenly driven the wrong zen home.

3. NYC has probably more cars stolen per day than any other city (funny since 75% of New Yorkers dont own cars). The lock that is popular there is a stick that either links the brake pedal to the steering wheel or one that crosses the steering wheel. Some cars have both installed. It is visible, cannot be defeated by bypassing the battery, and takes a few minutes (instead of seconds) to defeat.
Old 23rd January 2006, 10:33   #8
Senior - BHPian

Are gear locks safer ? Or would they take a few extra minutes to unlock ?
Old 23rd January 2006, 14:03   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
Are gear locks safer ? Or would they take a few extra minutes to unlock ?
i think gear locks are very safe option provided you lock the gear at reverce.
if gear is locked at 2nd gear a thief can easily drive the car at 2nd gear.
gear lock keys look quite soild to me, i think it would take plenty of time for a thief.
Old 23rd January 2006, 16:23   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
2. In my building there lives a 80 year ofl ENT surgeon. One day he drove home in a brand new red zen.

It was only the next morning when his daughter weto to drive the car that she realised that the car was not theirs. She quietly took the car back to where her father had got it from and found her own car still parked where her father had left it. She then drove away in her car.

The old man, seeing 2 red zens parked near each other, had mistakenly driven the wrong zen home.
THATS PERHAPS THE WIERDEST THING I HEARD...
Lol wld have loved to see the look on the person when he found the car back at the same place after a day !!!!!
Old 23rd January 2006, 17:53   #11
BHPian

I myself have opened M800 on quite a few occassions with a scale.. it is no big deal and opens in seconds... In fact I am really scared now as during my last servicing, my NHC was locked with keys in the ignition at the Honda service centre. The mechanic removed the beading in a few seconds and opened the lock by inserting a bended wire. I have cobra installed but I think I will get a gear lock soon.. that is the most secured of all the other options!

Regarding M800 locks... my brother used to open and drive our neighbour's old M800 using a 25 paise coin... ... that is called value for money!!!!
Old 23rd January 2006, 18:21   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumed

Regarding M800 locks... my brother used to open and drive our neighbour's old M800 using a 25 paise coin... ... that is called value for money!!!!

-------------------------

Huh???? 25 paise coins.... is that possible... how do you start the car??
Old 23rd January 2006, 18:53   #13
Senior - BHPian

i read an article somewhere long back which said that the Maruti 800 is THE most theft accessible car.... the report also claimed that in Delhi an 800 gets stolen every 2 mins... sounds like some other crime i hate to mention

well the thing is it is not possible to have a theft free car (you will need all gadgets 007 used in the beemer)... thats the reason all the aftermarket products are called theft deterrants... not anti theft systems...

every device out in the market will have some crook trying to beat it... this is a constant challenge to both the car thief and to the car makers... all we can do is make the task of stealing the car a longer ordeal so the thief gets caught eventually due to arousal of suspicion or he just gives up the ordeal of going thru with all the hard work...

Optional fitments such as gearlocks etc can deter the act of stealing to a larger extent though not warranting the theft itself....
Old 23rd January 2006, 19:20   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumed
Only two ways this can be possible:
1. You call P.C. Sorkar your brother
2. You are mistaking this...

to be a Maruti 800.
Old 23rd January 2006, 19:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoombastic
Only two ways this can be possible:
1. You call P.C. Sorkar your brother
2. You are mistaking this...

to be a Maruti 800.

Nice one bro... i was still wondering how that can be possible...

Most Viewed