Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2011, 07:23   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: White Bolero stolen. And then RECOVERED using GPS Tech!! Screenshots inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Is there any possibility the GPS worked so flawlessly/without detection because it is a company-owned vehicle so they knew how/where to place it?
That is exactly the problem with company installed GPS devices. Their assembly line would mean installing in the same location and soon the thieves would know what to rip out.

Quote:
One question : Like with the GPS phones/devices, is it necessary that the device should have a clear path above it? eg. how the GPS in most phones doesn't work if there's an obstruction above it (be it inside a house or the roof of the car).
It is better to have open view of the sky for precise location. However even if the car is parked in basement the last known location is sufficient to help in detection.

Also a VTS without external antennae is preferable as other wise it is a easy step to cut the antennae wire and make GPS blind!

Quote:
How long is the battery backup?
Typically the hidden GPS (one that you install yourself) is much better option and as soon as battery supply is cut internal battery takes over. This can last from an hour to a day depending on how frequently you transmit the data. To preserve battery most set ups induce hibernation mode when stationary.

@OP: Nice to know recovery but why the bribes? Bhai ne chori to nahin ki!!! The procedural system of impounding theft property till disposal of court case is the reason?

Last edited by sudev : 11th May 2011 at 07:24.
Old 11th May 2011, 08:32   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
@OP: Nice to know recovery but why the bribes? Bhai ne chori to nahin ki!!! The procedural system of impounding theft property till disposal of court case is the reason?
There was no chori on his part.All of them starting from Ferozepur to Bhatinda cops kept on demanding SEVA!!!Even the lawyer was demanding 8k but said that since its you people who have recovered the vehicle,he'll charge only 5k!

I'll get back to all of you with more details regarding pricing and make of the GPS device in a couple of days.
Old 12th May 2011, 23:55   #18
BHPian

i believe instead of giving sun roof etc in general cars for India, this kind of tracker should be in all top end models and optional for other. Police should make it mandatory would make there life easier also.
Old 13th May 2011, 02:07   #19
BHPian

Using GPS based device for security is not new and not at all foolproof. This device also will not work effectively in case no clear view of sky is available. I believe the system is welded to some part of the chasis frame but discussing it openly will seriously dent its utility.

Another system being used in several other countries (not in India) is LOJACK which is based on radiowaves. The involvement of law enforcement / police is vital to this scheme. The system works something like this. If your car is stolen, you inform the police who activate a radio signal. This signal activates the device hidden in the car which emits uniquely coded signals to the police. Police tracks the signal and triangulates the position of the car. The LOJACK system appears to be better than the GPS based system. As you can see the police plays a central role here and therefore this system may not be suitable for India.
After installation they won't even tell the owner where is the device hidden. I know a person who had this device installed on his bike (Honda CBR) which was stolen and recovered 6 times (a record!).

link: How LoJack Stolen Vehicle Recovery Works - installation to recovery

As I read somewhere the best protection in India is to have a menacing Dog.
pamiboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2011, 09:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

That was a fantastic tracking operation, high tech at work!
If one gets a factory-fitted device or from outside, most important thing is to see how long the back-up battery lasts.
Do you think there should be tell-tale signs - like stickers, etc - to indicate the car is "armed" - will it deter thieves or provoke them to ferret out the tracking device?
Old 13th May 2011, 10:44   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Fantastic use of GPS technology. Was the Bolero fitted with GPS locator in the aftermarket ? If so, what make and what cost ? 30k for getting your own vehicle back locating it yourself is atrocious.
This is pathetic and deplorable. I have heard of a couple of cases here where stolen bikes mysteriously reappeared in the neighbourhood once the cops were paid around 7K

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
In the said vehicle,the device was well hidden somewhere in the car itself which i'm not aware of(will ask my brother) so it would have got unnoticed by them.
Please dont put up the hidden location online!

Quote:
But the police instead of going in search of those fellows sat in his house for snacks!!No case was lodged at Firozepur but at Bhatinda.No idea why.
'Khaane' se pehle naashta kar rahe honge
Old 13th May 2011, 11:17   #22
BHPian

Wow! Now that is some serious tracking. I am impressed!!

Regd Mahindra Telematics, I dont think the vehicle tracking service is available for retail as of today, they cover fleet. Correct me if wrong, I too would be glad to know the details, where and how I can get it installed.

This is what I found on their website.
Old 13th May 2011, 11:33   #23
Senior - BHPian

It was excellent effort and pre preparation done by your brother by installing GPS tracker device in Bolero. Congratulations for getting it back again (But with price :( ).

Boleros are getting stolen every now and then and most of them move to rural India where nobody checks the vehicle identity. In my known circle, I know at least two Boleros being stolen and never recovered.

It is high time that Mahindra should plonk some tamper proof Security devices in all Boleros. Even, they can call old Boleros for retrofitting such devices with some price. It will go in bulk so costing will also be less (Please note 8K appx Bolero sells every month).

I believe more than 90% genuine Bolero owners would opt for such devices for security of their vehicle. If Mahindra takes such steps, surely it will increase its goodwill among owners and others.

PS: Sometimes, I think these thieves, if they have worked in technology company, they would have been excellent innovators. So, many patents application they could have filed with their knowledge. They are using their knowledge and ability in wrong way.

Last edited by anujmishra : 13th May 2011 at 11:36.
Old 13th May 2011, 12:07   #24
BHPian

WOW! What a story! Congratulations on getting your Bolero back. While I am impressed at what a GPS system can actually do, I am disappointed (for lack of a stronger word in my vocabulary) at the Police and the Lawyer. In my home state, where we have a lot of insurgency, if your vehicle is stolen and fortunately (or unfortunately) recovered, it gets to the police station. Now you have to engage a lawyer and prove that your car was not used or 'lent" to the insurgents to do some 'insurgent' work. This amounts to anything from a mere 2k to 50k depending on how well you know the police or how 'big' your vehicle is. Its really pathetic. And if you delay retrieving your car, parts get stolen in the police station to be sold off by the low-paid police constables. Extremely dispicable.

When you share the brand/make of the GPS device, please let us also know the cost of installation etc.

Also, these GPS devices, do they work well anywhere? I mean, if I were to go to a remote place like unknown places in Manipur, will they still work? What does it work on? If I were to drive to hilly, uncharted terrains, will it be able to map me a track to follow?
Old 13th May 2011, 13:30   #25
BHPian

I own a GPS based vehicle tracking company and our big customers (taxi services etc.) these days do not want to inform police when their vehicle gets stolen. They just track their vehicle down and either steal it back from thieves or take help of private security.

It is not just the bribe part, the vehicle remains in police's custody for 4-5 days. Which means loss of another 10-15k
akmits_bhp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2011, 13:56   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Please dont put up the hidden location.
Dont worry,will not be putting the location of the device on public forum.

I'll be busy for a couple of days but will get back to you guys with the details as required by you regarding the cost and installation procedures. bear with the delay.
Old 13th May 2011, 14:17   #27
BHPian

To answer gtonsingh's question: Any device will send live data when it has some mobile signal. Even if GPRS does not work, the location can be queried over SMS. But, since GPS works everywhere, it can still record the data in internal memory and send it later to the server/customer when the GSM coverage is stored. The internal memory part helps if you are a fleet/taxi service owner. But, useless if your concern is vehicle safety only.

Agree with the comments that thieves are becoming aware of these devices. So hiding them well and internal antennae always helps.

To summarize when choosing a GPS based vehicle tracker

1. Make sure it has an internal battery with minimum six hours of backup
2. Make sure it works with internal/hidden antennae
3. It has over the air configuration. This helps to change the data frequency or switch to power save mode if the main power is disconnected by thieves
4. Ask them if the device can report cell tower info. Always useful if thieves cut the GPS antenna wire.
5. Data logging: just in case you want continuous data even if there is no GSM coverage. Its counted in term of thousands of data points. Newer devices can record upto 20k to 2L data points.
6. SMS/Mobile based tracking- so that you do not have to rush to a PC (or call your brother -- like in this case) in case you need to know location of your vehicle
7. Low power consumption: You do not want this thing to consume more than 0.2-0.5 watts of power
akmits_bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2011, 14:33   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hey congrats about the recovery of your vehicle! What about the crooks?
One time thieves or a regular gang (which is usually in cahoots with local police and MLA)?
Old 13th May 2011, 16:25   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmits_bhp View Post
I own a GPS based vehicle tracking company and our big customers (taxi services etc.) these days do not want to inform police when their vehicle gets stolen. They just track their vehicle down and either steal it back from thieves or take help of private security.

It is not just the bribe part, the vehicle remains in police's custody for 4-5 days. Which means loss of another 10-15k
@akmits_bhp: IMHO, this is much better than dealing through cops and increasing costs.
One of my acquaintances has a petrol pump and has apparently installed a GPS device on the trucks/ tankers that deliver the petrol. He said that he has also linked something to the seals/ caps of the fuel tanks. This helps him in knowing if there has been any pilferage. Is this feasible or is he pulling a fast one on the drivers just to keep them in check?
Disclaimer: I have no sympathy for the drivers and I am not soliciting any info on their behalf! Just curious if such a device exists that can restrict/ prevent fuel pilferage
Old 13th May 2011, 16:55   #30

Quote:
My brother had to cough out 30 k as bribe to the police and people at the court!!!
Basically, the cops' job was done by your brother & his team, and still bribes need to be paid!! Not to mention whatever amount would be spent in restoring the vehicle to its original condition.

But all's well that ends well!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks