Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2011, 20:14   #1

Accident prone spots in highways

Hi all,

I was just surfing through the "Accident pics in India" thread in t-bhp and found certain places in the pics familiar, where i have seen some accidents too.
Many of us might be aware of some spots in certain road stretches (specially highways) are most accident prone and we could see/hear about accidents happening there quite a lot of times..

One of the example i could site here is the 14th, out of 27 hairpin bends, in Sathyamangalam to Dimbam ghat road stretch (in route connecting Coimbatore-Sathyamangalam-Dimbam-Mysore-Bangalore) as one of the examples, i've seen/heard quite a lot of accidents happening particularly in that bend.

I searched for similar threads but could'nt find any close match. So thought of starting a thread for this, so that people can share their acquaintances and help fellow BHPians and several other travelers to have safe journey.

madhan
Old 12th May 2011, 08:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Accident prone spots in highways

NH17 between Bombay & Goa is one of the most accident-prone highways in India, especially in the Panvel-Pen-Nagothane-Mahad sector, which is so because of heavy miscellaneous traffic by day, killer bus traffic at night and lots of SUV taxis manned by irresponsible drivers and overloaded to the gills. Specifically, the Panvel-Pen-Vadkal Naka and the Nagothane-Indapur sectors are notorious for having seen several fatal accidents.
Old 12th May 2011, 10:01   #3
BHPian

NH-9 between Hyderabad and Vijayawada and the road from Bangalore to Tirupati are quite dangerous. Both these are un-divided two-lane highways and the road does has quite a few curves. In spite of seeing many accidents, people still try to overtake at these curves and hence, such high rate of fatalities.

At least NH-9 is being built into a 4/6 lane highway and hope that things do improve once it's done, the same is not the case with Bangalore - Tirupati highway. The 4-laning stops at Mulbagal and from there on its just the un-divided two-lane highway.
Old 12th May 2011, 10:06   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
NH17 between Bombay & Goa is one of the most accident-prone highways in India, especially in the Panvel-Pen-Nagothane-Mahad sector, which is so because of heavy miscellaneous traffic by day, killer bus traffic at night and lots of SUV taxis manned by irresponsible drivers and overloaded to the gills. Specifically, the Panvel-Pen-Vadkal Naka and the Nagothane-Indapur sectors are notorious for having seen several fatal accidents.
Yes Mr. Kumar. These days even the TOI has been reporting a lot about killer stretches on NH17. There is some PWD action happening today on NH17, source TOI dated 12/05/2011
ePaper Lite - Times of India Publications

Also, ST bus drivers swerve around irrationally putting passengers and fellow drivers at risk. Apart from putting appropriate signs at dangerous spots, speedbrakes, reflectors, I feel that driver training is of utmost importance. Government / RTO's should undertake to organize sessions for drivers plying on this route to educate them about the risky spots and how to maneuver them.

Hope the govt wakes up soon to the NH17 disasters and widen it like they did NH3.
Old 12th May 2011, 10:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

There are some pretty dangerous sections in NH7 near Thoppur ghats towards Salem. The roads are winding and the surface is permanently uneven with humps, bad patch work and gutters. Have seen many vehicles hit from the back due to panic braking or lost control and hit the divider or other vehicles. Be very careful while driving in this section. Since the roads till then are pretty good, most cars will be coming at high speeds and result in accidents in this place.

Last edited by vasoo : 12th May 2011 at 10:31.
Old 12th May 2011, 10:47   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

My personal list:

1. NH48: Specially between Bellur Cross and CR Patna. Check out the mangled remains of the vehicles involved in accident at Hirisave Police Station and you'll realise how dangerous this highway is.

Fast 2 lane road coupled with faster moving empty sand lorries passing towards Hassan, highly irresponsible KSRTC bus drivers who will push you out of the road while overtaking someone.

I usually witness an accident everytime I drive to Belur from Bangalore.

2. Pune Bypass: This should not be called as a bypass. Too many roads from the city joining the busy NH4 (Bypass). Most of the private traffic do not realise the speed of vehicles plying on the highway and merge in a very hopeless manner. Then you have 2 wheelers suddenly appearing out of the medians.The accidents here are usually not life threatening but definitely not to be ignored as well.

3.Ahmedabad - Mehsana highway: (Specially Kalol area) - Rapid inustrialization coupled with miscellanous traffic where Rickshaws and Jeeps wave between lanes and stop abruptly, pedestrains running across roads makes this an accident prone spot from my experience.

4.Bangalore-Mysore highway: This is not a highway. Too many towns to pass through without a bypass, too many cuts in the medians, too many speedbreakers and too many Tractors, Bullock carts plying on the wrong side makes it a strong contender too.
Old 12th May 2011, 11:01   #7
BHPian

NH8 - Delhi-Jaipur highway. I am not sure about the entire stretch, however the portion from Manesar to Gurgaon is very dangerous, especially at nights, when the trucks are allowed to pass through city limits. At times, there are 4-5 lanes of trucks alone, with rarely any passenger vehicle in sight. The only comforting factor is the fact that it witnesses bumper-to-bumper traffic, with no scope for speeding trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

4.Bangalore-Mysore highway: This is not a highway. Too many towns to pass through without a bypass, too many cuts in the medians, too many speedbreakers and too many Tractors, Bullock carts plying on the wrong side makes it a strong contender too.
I second this. The problem with this state highway is the fact that it is too narrow and passes through many towns and villages, with a lot of padestrian and slow moving traffic. And the Karnataka speed breakers do not help either

Last edited by Gooney : 12th May 2011 at 11:03. Reason: Typo
Old 12th May 2011, 12:23   #8
BHPian

I think a near-simillar discussion happend in another thread -> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...oad-drive.html

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 12th May 2011, 12:48   #9
BHPian

NH9 on HYD-Vijayawada stretch could easily be termed "Widow Maker " or " Highway to Hell " due to numerous accidents on any given day, reckless driving by almost every other driver and umpteen near misses that occur on this road .
I travel atleast once every month and thrice in the last fortnight in this route , i have decided to travel by train till four laning is completed . Had couple of near misses and just had to drive with pray on your lips and thank my stars for reaching home safe.
Old 23rd May 2011, 13:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

NH4 Khambatki Tunnel between Wele and Shirwal

People have started to use the tunnel to get quickly across to the other side without using the ghat road. Yesterday for the first time, I saw 2 bikes and maruti omni coming against the traffic from the right lane at good speeds through the tunnel. Recipe for accidents for sure.

I reported this to some traffic police I noticed down the higway (and also posted on the facebook account of Pune Police). Not sure if they will take any action.

Last edited by pjbiju : 23rd May 2011 at 13:50.
pjbiju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2011, 14:03   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

IIRC, there was a dangerous curve between Thrissur and Palakkad. Not remembering any details. May be frequent travellers can fill it in.
Old 23rd May 2011, 15:57   #12
BHPian

The Chitradurga bypass on NH 7 is full of idiots who drive on the wrong side with impunity. You just cannot be too careful on this sector. As far as possible, avoid overtaking if you do not have a clear view of the road ahead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I agree. This is a really dangerous stretch of "highway". Drive with extreme caution and avoid on weekends. Sunday evenings are the worst.
Old 23rd May 2011, 16:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
NH4 Khambatki Tunnel between Wele and Shirwal

People have started to use the tunnel to get quickly across to the other side without using the ghat road. Yesterday for the first time, I saw 2 bikes and maruti omni coming against the traffic from the right lane at good speeds through the tunnel. Recipe for accidents for sure.
I encountered the same issue last week! The tunnel is very narrow and seeing some bikes coming at me from the opposite side was scary! Those guys were locals and all I could do was blast my horn at them and blind them temporarily with my 2 pairs of Hellas.

The one highway I particularly remember, is the NH47 between Trivandrum and Quilon. KSRTC buses rule this area and their overtaking stunts are crazy! I was run off the road many times by KSRTC Superfast buses.
Old 26th May 2011, 11:14   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
NH9 on HYD-Vijayawada stretch could easily be termed "Widow Maker " or " Highway to Hell " due to numerous accidents on any given day, reckless driving by almost every other driver and umpteen near misses that occur on this road .
I travel atleast once every month and thrice in the last fortnight in this route , i have decided to travel by train till four laning is completed . Had couple of near misses and just had to drive with pray on your lips and thank my stars for reaching home safe.
This is one of the most dangerous and accident prone stretches. I travelled on this stretch on 21.05.2011 and 24.05.2011. Most of it is undivided two lane carraige way and the problem is further aggravated by hundreds of diversions along this road due to ongoing 4 laning. Truck traffic is extremely high in both the directions. Some times one is compelled to travel behind a slow moving convoy of 15-20 trucks and the moment we loose patience and attempt a risky overtaking , the accident are sure to happen. Night driving on this stretch IMHO is suicidal. The oinly silver lining is that the intial 40 km and the final 40 km of this 280 km stretch are beautifully 4 laned
Old 19th July 2011, 16:31   #15
Senior - BHPian

Khambatki tunnel and road after is definitely is very prone for accidents. The entire setup looks inviting to drive fast. Witnessed an accident on Friday late night where a Corolla toppled. 2 died, 3 seriously injured

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks