Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2006, 08:23   #1
Senior - BHPian

NFS, Steet Racing and death on the streets

Need for Speed is a video game and sometimes people don't see the difference between video game and real life. The dangers of street racing was evident once again, this time on the roads of Toronto. Two teens were racing in their parents Mercedes Benzes when they rammed into a cab resulting in the death of the innocent taxi driver. The cars were racing at speeds of 140kmph in a 50kmph zone.

CTV Canada has a report on this tragedy with videos which I urge everyone to check out. Tahir Khan immigrated to Canada 6 years back and was scheduled to take his citizenship oath on January 27. He leaves behind his wife and a sick mother. I never understood why culprits always get away scot free (alive in this case) while innocent by-standers always bear the brunt of someone else's stupid mis-adventures. Only hope that the law teaches these rich teens something about respecting life.

In case, you guys are wondering why Need for Speed is being dragged into this tragedy. I quote from the report.

Quote:
Investigators found a copy of the video game Need For Speed in one of the cars. The game involves street racing, drag racing and pursuit racing, where players attempt to evade police.

Last edited by amit : 26th January 2006 at 08:30.
amit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2006, 09:36   #2
Team-BHP Support

Absolutely tragic.
Amit, how strict is the law there? I'm asking because these are rich peoples' kids...we know what happens here.
Old 26th January 2006, 10:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
by-standers always bear the brunt of someone else's stupid mis-adventures.
This has became a headache these days. It's not that how well you drive, you are dependent of other driving skills & that's scary. If we think too deep in these lines, we refuse to drive on the road itself.

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st August 2019 at 19:22. Reason: Super old post, but thread was recently bumped so making a small edit :)
Old 26th January 2006, 10:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
Absolutely tragic.
Amit, how strict is the law there? I'm asking because these are rich peoples' kids...we know what happens here.
If the police catch you, you're in for a lot of trouble... including heavy charges, point deduction on your license, suspension of your drivers permit, etc.

On the side your insurance shoots up... and you cannot really bribe them.

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st August 2019 at 19:33. Reason: Typos
Old 26th January 2006, 12:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

Yea, NFS does popularize street racing in a big way. And not to forget..."The Fast and the Furious series"
karthik247 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2006, 17:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

now i will not be surprised if the kids sue the game company claiming the game influenced their decisions....

these kids and other crack pots should be banned from driving for at least 15 years... well whatever the law... some damn human rights group will intervene and plead mercy cos they r kids or for some other reason...
Old 26th January 2006, 17:53   #7
BHPian

Need for speed most wanted....

Been hearing this all the time. Games blamed for real action.

Its not the game that drives you on the street.
Use your head, your eyes, your hand, your legs, and if you have any intelligence, well you could use that too. Drive safe!!!

I find games a way of enjoying things that is prohibited in real life.
Why take games to the street, in games you crash million times, in life how many crashes will you survive.

Yes there are certain levels of gaming. There is always exception where some stupid people take gaming to the street, be it first person shooter or racing sim.

It would be pointless to argue whether games should be banned or not or holding games responsible for these actions.

Its simple as science, it can be used for the good of mankind and for the destruction.
As simple as a kitchen knife. Can be used to cut onions and cut your ladie's finger. So is knife gonna be banned or blamed. I don't think so.

Safety is in your hands. When you play with it, it plays with you too. Handle with care, it's not always you who gets the side effects. Somebody else can too.

I have learned things the hard way.

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd August 2019 at 08:14. Reason: Old post, but making some presentation changes nonetheless :)
Old 26th January 2006, 20:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Amit, how strict is the law there? I'm asking because these are rich peoples' kids...we know what happens here
Rudra, the problem with Canadian law is that the judges are too lenient. They seem to follow Mahatma Gandhi's philosophy and keep trying to reform and improve criminals. Don't know if you guys have heard of the Karla Homolka case but she was let off after 10 years in prison for her grizzly crimes, one of which included her sedating her own sister, Tammy, so her (Karla Homolka's) boyfriend could rape Tammy! It ended in Tammy's death. Time and again Canadian law has taken a lenient view especially if the criminals are young or teenagers. Demands for the law to toughen up are getting more and more loud every day. I hope this time the law sets an example. Suspensions of driving licences, de-merit points, insurance rates zooming up must have already happened in these teens cases but they need a bigger punishment. I just have the feeling that some smart lawyer will argue that the guys are of impressionable age and the need for speed game clouded their judgement. It's quite possible that in this topsy turvy world, the makers of the video game may be tried for this murder rather then the teens!
amit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2006, 01:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
now i will not be surprised if the kids sue the game company claiming the game influenced their decisions....
They're smarter than you think, bro. Every NeedforSpeed game has a intro before you begin the game which says 'Keep the racing inside your TVs & monitors and drive safely with seatbelts on the roads'

Moreover, teenage kids don't have the maturity mentally to drive safe. That's why i got my driving license at 18, even though i could drive well at 14.

It's got more to do with the mind rather than the skills.

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st August 2019 at 19:50. Reason: Small edit.
Old 29th January 2006, 07:43   #10
BHPian

Well, guys, in the states, you get a drivers license officially at 16 years of age. In fact law is such that you can apply for a learners 4-wheeler drivers license when you're 15 years 6 months old, and so, when you're 16 years, you can give a driving test for the actual drivers license, and drive alone on the roads !

More than 90% of all accidents here are caused by drivers between 16-18 years of age.. so, the drivers license age should surely be changed.

Although there are good driving tests and computer exams to be given for the drivers license, once the teens get their license in their hand, in their excitement, they forget all those rules which they learnt from their driving tutors/lessons.

Anyways, at least the system in States doesn't allow for rich people bribing officials, and is strict regarding rash driving... but increasing the allowed age for drivers license would surely reduce a few accidents and casualties.

-sr

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st August 2019 at 19:53. Reason: Formatting :)
Old 21st August 2019, 09:11   #11
BHPian

Re: NFS, Steet Racing and death on the streets

Bumping up this old thread. Toyota will not be featured in the upcoming NFS Heat because the latter “promotes illegal street racing.” I'm unsure of where I stand in the video games vs society debate but this is truly the end of an era.
Twitter
P. S. The reply from NFS is hilarious!
Attached Images

Iyencar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks