Old 12th February 2013, 13:49   #136
BHPian

Re: Scam/ Corruption in Toll Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Dropping in this comment from Ankit Jain via Google+

cya
R
I have made it a habit to check amount and time as well. I follow this habit on the highways where you have to pay the toll at the entrance and show it while exiting. There are quite a few stretches around Pune where this system is in place. The reason I started doing this because once I had lost the receipt and had to pay the toll again. The time check part is there because I have seen quite a few people hand the receipts over to toll guys while exiting the express way. The same receipt could be handed back to someone else.
Old 18th February 2013, 20:21   #137
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Dropping in this comment from Ankit Jain..
Be alert guys, check the toll reciept before leaving the toll booth !!!
This is an absolute must-do. The guys at the toll booths thrive on the fact that people are in a hurry to pay up and move on and the fact that other vehicles sometimes honk egging the person ahead to move quicker just helps their cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Thankfully, I haven't observed the "chocolates in lieu of change" scam happening at the express highway. I guess it has more to do with the round toll charge figures than anything else.
Yes, this is usually due to odd toll charges like Rs.19, quite common on the Bangalore-Tumkur highway, better to keep enough coins/small change to avoid this. Recently, I did return the chocolates in lieu of the charge at the next toll
Old 4th March 2013, 11:21   #138
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Safe Driving on Indian Highways & Ghats

Not sure how many of us would even glance at back of a toll receipt. The first reflex action would be to check if the amount is correct.

Just glanced through this toll slip at devanhalli toll plaza while returning from the airport yesterday.

The info provided was indeed an eye opener

Mods: Kindly move this to appropriate thread if this does not belong here
Attached Thumbnails
Scam/ Corruption in Toll Plaza-04032013080.jpg  

PC77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 16:02   #139
Senior - BHPian

Re: Scam/Corruption in Toll Plaza

Is there any way to find for what distance the toll is charged for the vehicle?
I want to travel from Pune to Kolhapur via Mumbai-Bangalore Expressway.
On which toll booths, should I be paying the tolls whereas show the toll receipts on the remaining (if any)?

For example, few of you must be knowing the Pune (in fact ahead of Hadapsar) -Loni Four Lane Road on Pune Solapur Road where they charge toll of Rs.20/- (IIRC). On Start of that Road we have to pay the Toll and at the end of that road we have to show the receipt of Toll paid at previous booth.

Hence my doubt.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 9th April 2013 at 16:04.
Old 11th April 2013, 16:12   #140
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for bumping my own post.
Fellow members, please clear my doubt.

EDIT: -
I want to know how much of toll should I be paying at the respective toll plazas on the way from Pune to Kolhapur via Mumbai-Bangalore Expressway?

Can I pay for the entire Pune-Kolhapur stretch at the first toll plaza itself after leaving Pune or would I have to pay at the toll plazas as and when I pass across them?

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 11th April 2013 at 16:32.
Old 11th April 2013, 17:54   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
I want to know how much of toll should I be paying at the respective toll plazas on the way from Pune to Kolhapur via Mumbai-Bangalore Expressway?

Can I pay for the entire Pune-Kolhapur stretch at the first toll plaza itself after leaving Pune or would I have to pay at the toll plazas as and when I pass across them?
Never seen that option on any of the tolls on that highway (or for that matter most national highways). You'd have to pay at the individual toll plazas.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2013, 18:49   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Sorry for bumping my own post.
Fellow members, please clear my doubt.

There is no such option to pay the entire toll amount for this stretch in one go.

However, these are the latest toll rates between Mumbai and Kolhapur:
  • Mumbai-Pune Expressway - 165
  • Khedshivpur - 70 (right after Pune towards Bangalore)
  • Anewadi - 50
  • Taswade - 62
  • Kini - 62

A few months before (rather an year ago), there was prominent banners indicating the users to buy Khedshivpur and Anewadi toll together by paying 110 INR and I have used that option twice.

When I last drove to Pune 4 weeks before, I couldnt notice that option available anymore.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 19:46   #143
BHPian

I too have had the "toffee" experience, infact been having it always! We quite often use the NH 66 bypass, having toll at Akkulam Bridge in front of Kulathunkal Motors. For cars, the multiple entry fee is Rs. 7.50. So as change for increments of Rs.1 (Rs.8 or Rs.10), I always get a toffee back. I started collecting the toffees and when they came to 15 no.s, I handed it over to them instead of Rs.7.50 . He accepted it with a very weird face! Now-a-days, I carry lots of 50ps. coins in the car. Or, I'l have toffees with me! The receipts provided have different colours for each day but haven't checked the details yet!

Travelling costs are definitely increasing, thanks to the numerous toll roads! Ohk, not for a debate. Its just what i felt.
freakmuzik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2013, 10:47   #144

I fell victim of this toll plaza scam yesterday while returning to Chennai from Bangalore. On the electronic city flyover, they charged me Rs 40 for my car (correct rate) but the receipt given was showing Rs 15 and it was mentioned as two wheeler. Vehicle number mentioned was proper, but it contains only the digits portion.

To my bad, I did not notice it while collecting the receipt and found this only after sometime. Is there any way of reporting this?
Old 3rd September 2013, 10:20   #145
Senior - BHPian

This happened at the Delhi Gurgaon toll plaza late at night this Saturday. A few additional lanes were opened owing to truck traffic and we went through one of them. After paying the toll and asking for the receipt i was informed that this was a "Tag Lane" and there would be no receipt given - i stuck around for 30-40 seconds insisting on getting one , they had opened the lanes and were accepting non tag cars so why should the receipt be such a problem , despite all of the arguments they did not give one and even a supervisor landed up saying the same thing.

Eventually i drove off , i did not really need the receipt but on principle this was incorrect clearly.
Old 3rd September 2013, 10:40   #146
Senior - BHPian

I was a beneficiary of toll free travel on NICE once, the employee wanted a lift to Mysore road after his shift. I was travelling alone and they asked me if I wanted the toll ticket or free ride - if I gave a lift, once I reached the toll gate at Mysore road, all he did was wave to the attend and he opened the gate.

The worst toll gate I have seen is the first one from Dindigul toward Salem, an average time of 1 car a minute.
Old 3rd September 2013, 12:49   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like toll attendants have upgraded from toffees to biscuit packets. Couple of weeks back when I was driving back from Chennai to Bangalore, at the first toll the amount was Rs 45. Instead of giving back the change he gave me a biscuit packet(some unknown brand). I was not willing to move without the change and then he gave me Rs 5 back.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 13:45   #148
BHPian

Also it would be better if we check our reciept for correct details like Date, Time, Car number etc. I have come across couple of times where they have given a invalid toll reciept. In that case all the money that we paid will go to that guy.
Old 5th September 2013, 13:58   #149
BHPian

MODS: Think we can start a survey in our community on this topic.

This is surely a topic of national level. As a tax paying citizen of this land when we have contributed to good roads and also paid the taxes why is the toll being collected from us. I would understand if the govt collects a nominal amount to maintain the roadway in best of conditions ( rare but possible) but why for just building the road. Who will ever pay twice for the same stuff except poor tax payers.

Also if you notice
no toll for govt vehicles
political party vehicles
all govt servants above a certain band- no idea on this one.
certainly defence vehicles should be exempt. no doubt on that rest should be commonly charged.

cheers
Durgaprasad
Old 5th September 2013, 14:32   #150
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk View Post
This is surely a topic of national level. As a tax paying citizen of this land when we have contributed to good roads and also paid the taxes why is the toll being collected from us. I would understand if the govt collects a nominal amount to maintain the roadway in best of conditions ( rare but possible) but why for just building the road. Who will ever pay twice for the same stuff except poor tax payers.

Also if you notice
no toll for govt vehicles
political party vehicles
all govt servants above a certain band- no idea on this one.
certainly defence vehicles should be exempt. no doubt on that rest should be commonly charged.
Two points - would we live without the modern NH system. If not then the PPP chap needs to recover his costs. The Road Tax is still insignificant as compared to the west, even with many usurious states.

One question - where is the road tax and fuel surcharge going? It is supposed to be for road development only. I suspect it is vanishing into the black hole known as the Consolidated Fund f India, and its state counterpart(s).

My own view is No Exemptions. make everyone pay, and if they are eligible let them claim a refund from their employer.

Last edited by sgiitk : 5th September 2013 at 14:33.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed