Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2016, 00:05   #211
BHPian

Re: Scam/ Corruption in Toll Plaza

Hi everybody
A couple of hours back saw a flash on a news channel that that out of 12 toll booths that were supposed to be closed down, only three have actually been done.
Has anybody seen this bit of news?
So much for the election promises!
Regards
Old 7th March 2016, 14:57   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
A New scam?

Attachment 1478822

Its blank on both the sides and very light as well.
I got this today from Vashi toll plaza, And its the second time! First time was approximately a month back to which i ignored believing it to be a honest mistake, But the same thing when happened today ringed a bell for me, The coin is of the exact size of a 2 Rupees coin, But its surely lighter than the original! I also recollect during both this time it was during the night i was crossing the toll.

A piece of advice, It would take 5 seconds to check the change when you take it back from any toll plaza, Please do check it before moving forward.
Tanveer - Look at what I received from Airoli toll.

I'm sure someone has fleeced them & they simply passed it on further.

I have also included the original 10/- INR coin snapshot for reference. Though I always check the change, kept this one back intentionally to share with the group.
Attached Thumbnails
Scam/ Corruption in Toll Plaza-fake-coin.jpg  

mantrig is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 17:34   #213
BHPian

This chocos business roaring at Bangalore - Chennai (OMR route) also. Chocos collected in onward journey are returned in the return, always.

It used to be such a fun to watch them cringe on chocos, now it has become business as usual!
Old 7th March 2016, 21:07   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantrig View Post

I have also included the original 10/- INR coin snapshot for reference. Though I always check the change, kept this one back intentionally to share with the group.

Wow, My doubt gets stronger now that such things are indeed planned by the toll plazas,

Please take 5 seconds and check the change properly before you move ahead, Its okay to take another 5 seconds extra to check, People usually at toll plaza's take couple of minutes just to remove money from their pocket!
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 21:35   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Wow, My doubt gets stronger now that such things are indeed planned by the toll plazas,

Please take 5 seconds and check the change properly before you move ahead, Its okay to take another 5 seconds extra to check, People usually at toll plaza's take couple of minutes just to remove money from their pocket!
Honestly, I always check the change & quality of notes so that I can change them, if needed. This coin was for keeps, it's height of what people try getting away with.
Old 7th March 2016, 22:26   #216
BHPian

I have encountered this in a different fashion on the Mumbai Pune Expressway. The toll guy requested me to drop his colleague off a few kilometres beyond the toll plaza. When I asked him what is in it for me, he told me that I could avoid paying the toll just because I dropped a staffer. Have encountered this on multiple occasions at the Expressway.
Needless to say, I never accepted this offer mainly due to safety reasons.
Old 8th March 2016, 12:09   #217
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Wow, My doubt gets stronger now that such things are indeed planned by the toll plazas, ...

Wow. I will double check the coins from now on.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Chaand View Post
I have encountered this in a different fashion on the Mumbai Pune Expressway. The toll guy requested me to drop his colleague off a few kilometres beyond the toll plaza. When I asked him what is in it for me, he told me that I could avoid paying the toll just because I dropped a staffer. Have encountered this on multiple occasions at the Expressway.
This is a very common thing. Happens always. I think you don't have to worry much about security, they are toll booth employees. I have given them drop few times. [I'm not saying there is no risk, it's always there].
The longest 'lift' i have given someone is for around 225-250 km (somewhere near Belgaum to Davangare). Not a staff of toll booth, but some guy who was waiting for bus/truck. He knew only Kannada and I can't understand even a bit. So he was 4-5 hours of silent company. He offered me money when I dropped him, I didn't take.

Last edited by JohnyBoy : 8th March 2016 at 12:16.
Old 8th March 2016, 12:13   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Honestly, I always check the change & quality of notes so that I can change them, if needed. This coin was for keeps, it's height of what people try getting away with.

Seriously, Its even more annoying that even after collecting toll they dont provide good roads and instead are using such things to get more money out of us.

Quote:

Wow, Don't ever accept that offer, You never know some goons may have a deal with such toll guys, Pay the toll and move forward, Never get into such a thing man. Not with family nor alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyBoy View Post
Wow. I will double check the coins from now on.

Thanks.

So do i, Though now i prefer giving them the exact change so i don't have to take any change back from them, Thats the safest way i think haha.
Old 8th March 2016, 14:07   #219
NPX
BHPian

Quote:
Seriously, Its even more annoying that even after collecting toll they dont provide good roads and instead are using such things to get more money out of us.
No private company pays from its pocket to build bridges or for widening of roads. They collect toll from road users and use that money for the project. However its a different story in case if completely new roads and govt toll booths are corruption booths.

Quote:
I have encountered this in a different fashion on the Mumbai Pune Expressway. The toll guy requested me to drop his colleague off a few kilometres beyond the toll plaza.
In my city Karnal and neighbouring city Panipat you can find policemen standing just before the toll booths asking for lift. In return policemen gets your toll waived off.
Old 8th March 2016, 14:31   #220
Distinguished - BHPian

Best way to avoid these kind of scams at tolls is to keep some change always in the car. During my last drive I kept at least 20 rupees in change(coins) and it helped me big time. Even otherwise, I have started keeping some change in car.

I hope that Fast tag gets implement soon across all tolls.
Old 8th March 2016, 15:16   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Best way to avoid these kind of scams at tolls is to keep some change always in the car. During my last drive I kept at least 20 rupees in change(coins) and it helped me big time. Even otherwise, I have started keeping some change in car.

I hope that Fast tag gets implement soon across all tolls.
I do the same now, I have ton's of coins kept in my car always, And i provide the exact change, Downside of it? Lot of coins together make noises!

Also Don't expect fast tag to get implemented and used soon, i don't see it happening in the next couple of years too! I dropped the idea of getting a fast tag after looking at the conditions at toll plaza's, Where most of the times all the lanes are used for everyone or Either the ETC tag machine isn't working.

So the only practical solution for now is give them the exact change.
Old 8th March 2016, 15:31   #222
BHPian

Hi all,

After reading other members experiences at a toll plaza here's sharing my experience at Dahisar Toll plaza, not a scam but something to note for ::

I use this road mostly on weekends to travel to Mira road. Last time I did use this toll, I was given 50 Rupee notes which were fully soiled and torn from everywhere. When I was on my way to Mira road, I got such a note and promptly asked the attendant to replace it. I passed it off as a one of incident.

but on my way back on the same day, the same thing happened, was handed over a torn and soiled INR 50 note and got it changed.

So, twice within the same day at the same toll booth cannot be a coincidence.

I suppose they were just trying to dispose off their stock of torn/soiled notes.

Regards
Dieseltuned
Old 8th March 2016, 16:30   #223
BHPian

1. if I live & commute from near exit of a toll highway, am I liable for toll payment?
Many highways are designed to pass through towns and people near the booth are often victimized. Monthly pass is the only option. How is even a subsidized collection justified for otherwise one's daily & only available public commute?

2. How to identify whether the toll collection is exhausted? If there is no gate does it mean there is illegal collection? How to escalate the matter?

Last edited by anoop.nair : 8th March 2016 at 16:52. Reason: typo
Old 8th March 2016, 17:40   #224
NPX
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop.nair View Post

1. in my case, i live 15 kms from toll plaza on NH1 and all people living in the radius of 25 km are elligible for a monthly toll pass of ₹180 only. this rule is also there for all state highway toll booths in haryana.

2. NHAI website has all the information of toll booths on NHs.
toll booths on roads other than NHs are under the purview of the state govt.
Old 8th March 2016, 17:50   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
Hi All,

Have you ever wondered " Can Toll Plaza's be a point for scam or corruption ?". This was precisely the question put forward by my friend during my recent Mumbai - Chennai drive. I disagreed & could not accept his thoughts.To my surprise the very same night I realized that there could be bigger scam / corruption in Highway Tolls.

At approx 3 am on 22/05/11, I was crossing Pallikonda Toll ( Just Before Vellore on Bang - Che GQ) . Toll amount Rs 45 for Cars. I paid Rs 100 and waited for change. The person gave me Rs 70 back and asked me to move on. For a minute I was confused, then I realized that he has not given me the receipt. I asked him for receipt. He reluctantly took the money back and told the other guy "This Sir wants Receipt". He then took my vehicle number and gave the receipt for Rs 45 and change of Rs 55.

Slowly I started thinking on the magnitude of this scam or corruption . Assume the guy wanted to make a quick Rs 30 out of me. This money went straight to his pocket. If he employed the same for 100 cars he could be making Rs 3000 on a single day. What about the money that could be got from Buses and Trucks the money could be even more.

We as responsible citizens could make them force issue receipts. What about the tourist drivers / Buses / Trucks guys who are happy to pay less toll and proceed. What is impact of this on the Build- Operate- Transfer model based Infrastructure development? Are big private players involved or is it just the small time working guys at the tolls.

I am not sure if mine is a lone incident or has any of you experienced similar incidents. But surely it has started ringing some Alarm Bells in my mind.

Regards
Marlon
I drove from Kolkata to Bangalore in Jan 2015 and I was given a receipt at each toll booth and I was charged the same amount as displayed on the Huge Boards with reflective panels clearly displaying the toll amount. I surprisingly did not notice this incident you are describing.

Most Viewed