Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2011, 16:11   #31
BANNED

Re: Extortion at my parking space that too near home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
A businessman buys a residential flat and is extorted by locals and he succumbs just because he has to stay there with his family. Whatever, the businessman does in his trade will most likely not even be known to these locals. I hope i have made myself clear this time.
I understand what you are saying and I have seen similar situations.

But having seen and taken the right steps I know these things are not something a group of rowdies and local representative can carry on forever. It just needs one person to stand-up.

Unless you are saying this is now turned into the erstwhile Chambal Valley. Then I have no argument.

Anarchy is not a system.
Old 25th May 2011, 17:06   #32
Senior - BHPian

I still say you should file a compliant about the threat he made. You should not have paid him. If possible visit the local police station and narrate the incident.
Old 25th May 2011, 17:25   #33
Senior - BHPian

^^ I agree with VW2010. In fact, your concern for your family and your car should ensure that you file a complaint with the cops. Especially as you are not a local (I presume?) you should tell this guy about the complaint in an off handed way. In fact you could also pass on any dents/ scratches you have to him.

Moreover, you should ensure that you never pay anyone any money henceforth else you would risk branding yourself as a soft target. News does travel you know..
Old 26th May 2011, 08:00   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
Well that sums it all up.
Before any further advice flows on how arpan could have managed to deal with the situation differently, i would like to inform all my friends here that Howrah is notorious for extortion, racketeering and even the local administrative bodies are being controlled by groups with questionable backgrounds to put it very mildly. The law and order situation is accordingly in total anarchy, and i'm not sure whether lodging complaints or calling in the Police would have eased or aggravated the situation for Arpan.
Ya, you are correct. There are positions, situations and places where you seem to be so helpless. Nevertheless, I have registered a GD with the police here and now if he comes to do any more damage, he will learn the rules of the game from me. Because its not that only he can do the "dadagiri". Situations have changed in Bengal, the police needs to perform now, things are changing fast, these sort of things wont conitnue for long I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
Howrah or no Howrah, I wouldnt agree with the solution.

Arpan & Mi2n. I have lived in that same place for 10 years. We have run a factory of 6000 workers in the same area, without any issues from any shady/dark/grey personality. So, lets not abuse a place just for the sake of it.

When the great neighbour said that he cant claim insurance, why couldnt you just say that you'll get it claimed against ur insurance and for that get the FIR from the PS.
9/10 times, that person would make a u-turn hearing about the PS. If its Golabari PS, it'll be 10/10.
What he said was that he wouldnt be responsible for any damage to your car. But he said it in front of the entire crowd. You have all the evidence to go to the PS and complain. You tell him directly that the fact he's made such a declaration in public can go against him as a formal threat and you will speak to the cops about it.
At the worst, instead of paying 1500 to the guy to repair his damaged vehicle, I'd rather pay the cops 1000 to teach him a lesson!
A area is defined by the people who live.
Yes, you are pretty correct about this. Although its not Golabari, it is Bally PS. I have lodged my GD and I have options of getting the cops rough up this guy, maybe I am waiting to speak to this guy about what I can do and what not. I too have some contacts here which I did not want to explore. We also run a small factory in howrah, so we too need to keep contacts handy, but just because of the fact that I need to stay here with my family, I didnt want to take any harsh steps, which might further aggrevate the situation and it will become a regular drama outside my house. Lets see what can be done. I think I need to inform this guy about my police GD. what do you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
^^ I agree with VW2010. In fact, your concern for your family and your car should ensure that you file a complaint with the cops. Especially as you are not a local (I presume?) you should tell this guy about the complaint in an off handed way. In fact you could also pass on any dents/ scratches you have to him.

Moreover, you should ensure that you never pay anyone any money henceforth else you would risk branding yourself as a soft target. News does travel you know..
Ya, I will meet this guy and tell him about my course of action soon. That too, this time I wont be alone, I have some so called "brothers" who if stand infront of him, he wont resist pissing in his pants.

Last edited by bblost : 26th May 2011 at 10:05. Reason: Please use multi quote instead of back 2 back posts. Thanks.
arpanjha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2011, 10:00   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpanjha View Post
Ya, I will meet this guy and tell him about my course of action soon. That too, this time I wont be alone, I have some so called "brothers" who if stand infront of him, he wont resist pissing in his pants.
then perhaps you should try to get your money back :lol
Jokes apart, if I were in your shoes I would ensure that the issue is not escalated further while standing my ground.
I wish you well in your endeavours
Old 26th May 2011, 10:07   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Ego is a very interesting animal, my friend. What if he gets his 'brothers' and wants to meet you? Pretty soon it's blown out of proportion. I still believe a conversation with the person and why you paid him that time to avoid mob outrage could be fruitful. Iam not an 'ahimsavadi' but maintain reserving your trump card for the last. All the best!
mmxylorider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2011, 10:45   #37
Senior - BHPian

This is not acceptable at all. I know you paid the money to get out of these cheap things. But this is not the way, someday someone will demand your car or even more money. You should have called the police and then let those people decide after filing FIR.

Anyhow very sad to hear and I know how does it feel after such incidents.

But now I will suggest you to avoid the person since everything is solved. Move on!

Last edited by bluevolt : 26th May 2011 at 10:47.
Old 26th May 2011, 10:51   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How is this different from what he did?. Just take the legal route and have yourself covered. The police will definitely check with the other guy and you dont have to put yourself through any trouble.
Old 26th May 2011, 12:42   #39
BHPian

Quote:

Yes, you are pretty correct about this. Although its not Golabari, it is Bally PS. I have lodged my GD and I have options of getting the cops rough up this guy, maybe I am waiting to speak to this guy about what I can do and what not. I too have some contacts here which I did not want to explore. We also run a small factory in howrah, so we too need to keep contacts handy, but just because of the fact that I need to stay here with my family, I didnt want to take any harsh steps, which might further aggrevate the situation and it will become a regular drama outside my house. Lets see what can be done. I think I need to inform this guy about my police GD. what do you say?

Aah. Arpan, if its Bally, do let me know if you need any help.

The factory I mentioned is Bally Jute Mills. So, you know where I am coming from. Let me know if you need any help. I can easily send a few folks from the factory to clear the air with your nice neighbour. I am sure he wont disturb you for the rest of his life.
aqualeo2040 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2011, 12:46   #40
Team-BHP Support

I think the moment you start "proving" your innocence, the rowdy knows he can pull something off you.

Just because there is no evidence doesn't mean that you did it or that you didn't do it.

Agree the prospect of your car being damaged is unpleasant but then there cannot be a stop to what extent he'll go the next time.

Try to salvage whatever you can in this situation and move on. Atleast have this incident registered with the cops so the next time he tries to do something, you have something to back you up.

Good luck!
Old 26th May 2011, 16:43   #41
BHPian

Hi Arpan. Since you are staying in Howrah, and yo mentioned about your folks at home, I doubt that you are an "outsider" (what a parochial concept: sadly applies to most of India). Having stayed in Howrah and later Kolkata for twenty four years, I'm a bit perturbed by the incident. In my opinion, if the crowd reaction was neutral, you should have simply stood your ground and brought the "sadharon manush-er saather gundamo korchen" dialogue into play.

Trust me, nothing gets the average Bengali more riled up than a sense of perceived injustice! The extortionist would have had somewhat more to chew on then!
lordavenger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2011, 19:50   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
then perhaps you should try to get your money back :lol
Jokes apart, if I were in your shoes I would ensure that the issue is not escalated further while standing my ground.
I wish you well in your endeavours
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
How is this different from what he did?. Just take the legal route and have yourself covered. The police will definitely check with the other guy and you dont have to put yourself through any trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
Ego is a very interesting animal, my friend. What if he gets his 'brothers' and wants to meet you? Pretty soon it's blown out of proportion. I still believe a conversation with the person and why you paid him that time to avoid mob outrage could be fruitful. Iam not an 'ahimsavadi' but maintain reserving your trump card for the last. All the best!

+1 to the above comments. You need not volunteer to resort to such a stunt. If he comes again, you can show your might.
Old 27th May 2011, 07:22   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
Aah. Arpan, if its Bally, do let me know if you need any help.

The factory I mentioned is Bally Jute Mills. So, you know where I am coming from. Let me know if you need any help. I can easily send a few folks from the factory to clear the air with your nice neighbour. I am sure he wont disturb you for the rest of his life.
Thanks a lot bro for this. I will certainly let you know if I need any assistance at all.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks