Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2011, 13:42   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: First rains in Pune...and the MADNESS begins!

Absolutely brilliant write up, Noopster!

I can totally relate to you I become really different when it starts raining - I feel very calm and fall in love with everything around me

Nothing beats driving in the rain with windows open a bit and a cool breeze blowing *bliss*
Old 27th May 2011, 14:42   #17
Senior - BHPian

Amazing account of your drive noopster!

Also yesterday, but a bit earlier around 6:15pm I was leaving work when I first saw the cloud cover. What a fabulous day to be on my bike, now only if it rained
A few kms closer to home, the wind became colder, the clouds became darker and leaves began flying all about. Within the next km, small droplets of rain began to blow about

As if on auto pilot, my bike stopped near Hotel Kinara at ‘Yenpure bandhu wadewale’
I asked him to pack 4 wada pavs, and he started packing the ones already prepared
When I pointed to the fresh lot getting deep fried in the big kadhai, he said that would take 5 minutes and then pointed overhead
Trying hard not to grin, I told him I was ok to wait. Of course while waiting I gobbled up one of the prepared ones.
On my way home from there, lightning lit up the sky and people started running helter skelter while I was soaking in all the fun on my bike, trying to balance and save my precious cargo from being soaked wet
At home, we opened the package and were about to eat when there was a loud bang and the lights went off. So out we went in the balcony and started munching on those steaming hot wada pavs with lasun chutney and fried green chillies. Ginger flavoured tea to wash it all down
Some time later once the wind and stormy conditions relented a bit, we ventured out for a short drive with all windows rolled down. It was still raining but people were just out to get drenched. I tried to allow people to cross the road, but no one was in a hurry. Perhaps for those few minutes, we just forgot our worries and enjoyed what nature had to offer us in the evening

I think at heart we are all really frogs

I do hope this year brings a solid monsoon for us and a season full of enjoyable drives and memories to last us through the next monsoon

Last edited by selfdrive : 27th May 2011 at 14:44.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 14:52   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

@selfdrive- lovely account. Yes there is something about vada pao, bhajjia, pakora and of course chai and, in a previous life, sutta that is just irresistable in the rains! Thanks for your post.
Old 27th May 2011, 15:08   #19
BHPian

What a post Noop ,was a superb read ! Seems like the writer in you came out all of a sudden with the first showers The narration had the flair and the spark that could make anyone enjoy it .

On ground realities I got updates from people who left early , managed to leave office after 9:30 PM , still no change in the situation and spent 50 minutes to cross Wakad flyover (have a hurting left ankle).

With detailed observation the cause of the JAM appeared to be the water logging at the descend of the Wakad bridge . The traffic after that was a breeze . There seems to be big depression just at the end of Wakad bridge . This is going to be a BIG BIG pain . The problem is that they raised the adjoining roads that come from under the bridge creating a depression at the base of the bridge . What are the planning authorities (IF Any ) upto ?? Was just wondering what would be situtaion in rains with the other enroute places water logged too .

Last edited by jealousdiamond : 27th May 2011 at 15:10.
Old 27th May 2011, 15:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

Not too spoil the rain party here.
But yesterday turned out to be the most horrible experience in my driving career.
We were so comfy and cosy at home.
The weather started changing and it began to rain. But only for about 15 mins. After which the sun was back out again. I kept pestering my wife to go out for a drive. And she kept putting it off. I had to go make my credit card payment and that was bugging me a lot. So after pestering het for about an hour. We got ready to go out to pay the bill and a run a few errands. It was gloomy but no rain. And as luck would have it, the damn cheque accepting machine was jammed. And as soon as i got out of the atm it started pouring heavily. Not taking this message i decided to continue towards camp. As it was pouring heavily many bikes had stopped on the side under tree cover. Traffic was moving slowly and we came to a stop. Approx 3 sec after stationary i saw a tempo in my rear view mirror. He first swerved left and then *bang* right into chicca's rear. Sensing a crash was immenent i had removed my foot from the brake slightly so the car was gently rolling forward. Even after this the impact was horrible causing quite bit of damage.

Visit to the cops was not to comforting either. But would like to make special mention here @dot came out of his way to come and offer his support and even drove us back home, a true friend indeed. Thanks again buddy. and ofcourse his friend too who also came down to help.

Last edited by mdsaab : 27th May 2011 at 15:59.
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 15:52   #21
Senior - BHPian

Superb Post noopster! Loved every bit of it!

Quote:
p.s. Can the MID show negative numbers too?

Yesterday, I was able to leave office only at about 11pm (because thats when uncle Sam takes a lunch break) , but it was total motoring bliss on the way back. For the first time in a long time, I drove with my windows open,elbow resting on the window.

It did trap some mosquitoes in my car unfortunately , but it was so totally worth it.
Old 27th May 2011, 16:53   #22
dot
Senior - BHPian

Last evening I had a scooter ride after ages, maybe 4 years if I dont count the Goa rental last year. As my car was out of action I took a ride from a colleague and we drove in the trickling rain. How nice to take a twowheeler ride, in this kind of weather with little droplets touching your face and the coolness going through your hair. Its for the soul really.

Till you meet an honking traffic.

Anyways, as soon as we reached home got a call from @mdsaab. The rest of that story has been already narrated by him in the previous post. It did feel terrible to see his car in that way and that too for no fault of his own. @mdsaab, dont worry, your car will be back like new soon.
Old 27th May 2011, 17:32   #23
Senior - BHPian

Do I foresee a Sam Kapasi in you!! You write well man. Brilliant actually. You need to write more than surf TBHP. Leave surfing for us. You write
Old 27th May 2011, 17:39   #24
BHPian

@noopster, thanks man.
I could (re)live the monsoon through your description.

Man, do I miss it all - the drive, the ghats, the fog and kanda-bhajji--pav.

The traffic is the killer but it has it's "charms".

Keep them coming man, keep them coming.
rtandon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 18:22   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Do I foresee a Sam Kapasi in you!! You write well man. Brilliant actually. You need to write more than surf TBHP. Leave surfing for us. You write
Am flattered Sachin but Sam is in a different league altogether. Must confess though that the conversation between Swanand and me when I read it reminded me of the hilarious exchanges between Sam and NC! Unconsciously aping the master perhaps? oh well i could do a lot worse!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 18:54   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

...And then suddenly- a spotting! The most beautiful white i20 with a "Love Cars, Live Cars" sticker perfectly positioned on its left bumper. I instinctively grin and salute.
FINALLY, the U-turn. DueLLer is right behind me now. I try to take a pic of him the IRVM. Fat chance with what VW has provided. It looks like a Pink Floyd album cover. I give up and toss the phone on the front seat.
Noopster, this is brilliantly written. Loved reading every bit of it! And, thank you again for your kind words!

I did click a picture of your car when I was behind you and here it is
Attached Thumbnails
First rains in Pune...and the MADNESS begins!-img_0097.jpg  

DueLLeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2011, 08:03   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueLLeR View Post
Noopster, this is brilliantly written. Loved reading every bit of it! And, thank you again for your kind words!

I did click a picture of your car when I was behind you and here it is
Hey that's awesome! I was looking for that snap in the spotings thread but I guess this is even better

Inspired to post some of my own pics from that night.

Vehicles taking U-turns to get on the path to the flyover. These aren't illegal but really misguided and inconsiderate, when you consider that the onward lanes are jam-packed with people not willing to give up an inch. Folks like me who give way are the ones who suffer!
First rains in Pune...and the MADNESS begins!-010.jpg

My average FE for the trip shot when stuck somewhere near Natural's parlour. It got progressively worse till about 3.0 when I reached the flyover.
First rains in Pune...and the MADNESS begins!-009.jpg

This "Ferrari" kept me company most of the way. You can't tell but the decal on the rear is a tiger clawing his way out of the car body. Some comic relief on an otherwise tedious drive!
First rains in Pune...and the MADNESS begins!-008.jpg

My botched attempt to shoot @DueLLer in the IRVM, aka the Pink Floyd album cover shot:
First rains in Pune...and the MADNESS begins!-011.jpg

Finally! We reach the flyover. But thanks to the waterlogging, all you can see is an endless stream of vehicles stretching all the way across the bridge.
First rains in Pune...and the MADNESS begins!-014.jpg

Last night was cloudy and blustery again: my family visiting from Mumbai was thrilled no end! But another side of the weather change is rearing its ugly head up: the kiddo seems to be down with something which is disturbing. Also, this morning is hot and clammy with the additional humidity making it fairly unbearable. And this is at 8 in the morning- can only imagine it will get worse!
Old 28th May 2011, 17:14   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BBM @Swanand_Inamdar, Niklaa kya? Kaisa hai baahar?

Just left.Massive jam at the (Hinjewadi) flyover. Nothing's moving.

Haan ok. Mein tere peeche hu. Chowk pe. Let me know whether I should turn left or come straight to the flyover.

He promises to call.

I grin to myself as a large drop of sweet rainwater gets me right on the face. Welcome, monsoons!
Swanand was narrating us the same story at the meet last night.

Quote:

Swanand calls again.

Dude take that left turn. The flyover is a mess.

No, no- I am in the middle of the flyover and can see the highway. Moving too slowly. Come straight.

This is the problem with real time updates, I grumble. But the thought of being stuck for God alone knows how long for the 3 km detour if I turn left is scary.

Dude times like this I envy you your automatic. My left leg is killing me.

I grin. And look at the MID, and the grin vanishes.

3.3 kmpl. I don't tell Swanand.

A change into black rock T-shirt and chaddis and am feeling much mre human. No let's go now, I insist.

Stupidity is weather-proof. Like Asian Paints exterior emulsion.
Nice writeup noop. Thoroughly enjoyed reading it, though it was a not so enjoyable drive for you.

Stupidity is weather-proof. Like Asian Paints exterior emulsion. You coined this phrase on your own ?
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2011, 14:41   #29
BHPian

Absolute blast to read, keep it up Noopster !

I wonder what would happen in the coming 3-4 months when the rains are here to stay (especially the Pune types, continuos drizzle). Aparently just read in todays LOKMAT that there will be 100% rains this year.
the-rare-one is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2011, 15:25   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone wondering why there have been no updates on this thread: it's because after that wild Thursday and some precipitation the next day Pune has been dry as a a bone and HOT to boot! It must be 40 degrees again- the only respite is the breeze blowing these days.But the cloud cover makes its really muggy!

Met department says monsoons have hit Kerala so I guess it's just a matter of time!

Most Viewed