Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2011, 10:54   #16
BHPian

Re: Holes punched on the tubeless tyres of my vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_panther View Post
Jealousy is unfortunate, but that do happen in Kolkata.

Yes. I am determined to drive out tomorrow, whatever comes in the way.
Wish me luck!
By this time you migh thave already started your drive. Wish you all the best buddy. Dont worry about the tyre. Drive safely and enjoy your trip
Old 28th May 2011, 14:23   #17
BANNED

Guess I am late. But for peace of mind you could have added a tube to the tyre and let it stay as a stepney. Until you can buy a new one when you get back.
Spitfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2011, 16:35   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Little late in replying, yet posting nevertheless : Do NOT continue to use a tyre that has been punched with a sharp object, enough to cause it to deflate. In all probability, this would have destroyed the structural integrity of your tyre, as you state the holes are on the lateral side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unoczar View Post
If you stay on good roads, there shouldn't be any cause for worry. All the best!
Good roads or bad roads don't make a difference to tyre blowouts. I wouldn't recommend using such a tyre even as a spare. After all, you will use the spare some day, would you not? Even driving at a mere 60 kph on a damaged tyre could be dangerous. Spend a couple of grand and replace this tyre with a new one.

Of course, Spitfire's advice is worthy too. If you were in an emergency situation with no access to a tyre dealer, slipping a tube inside is recommended as a temporary measure.
Old 30th May 2011, 12:03   #19
BANNED

I tend to agree with GTO.

By your description the holes are in the 'twilight zone', i.e. just into the side wall area. I can see the logic of the culprit - tread area has the belts and is difficult to go through, so he just moved off it. I will treat it as side-wall damage, and not tread damage. So the type should be replaced. Remember when driving you are on the road through just four Size 8 shoe patches!
Old 30th May 2011, 12:35   #20
BHPian

I am back from an excellent trip from Kolkata to Maithon with a total of 530 kms on good roads.

I had initially decided to visit Mukutmanipur, but finalized on Maithon due to unavailability of accomodation and to stay on good roads.

This was my second visit to Maithon and fourth on the GQ stretch. Therefore, went for a leisurely and fuel efficient drive. Tanked up at the Jubilee pump at Asansol, and this fuel seemed to be more efficient, considering congestion in the Asansol-Durgapur-panagarh stretch during the return journey.

I did not read the last few posts before the journey and went ahead with the bad tyre as spare. Also, we did a bit of off-roading to take the car beside the lake. There were a few broken glass bottles beside the water, but luckily my wife noticed the same on time.

I'll upgrade the tyres before my next long drive. This one was a confidence boosting drive on a known stretch prior to either of Kolkata-Nainital or Kolkata-Visak that I am still planning on.

Thanks all of you for your support.
Attached Thumbnails
Holes punched on the tubeless tyres of my vehicle-29052011084.jpg  

Holes punched on the tubeless tyres of my vehicle-29052011106.jpg  

Holes punched on the tubeless tyres of my vehicle-29052011102.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks