Senior - BHPian

Pedestrian-controlled signal crossings

http://m.timesofindia.com/PDATOI/art...ow/8643780.cms

South Mumbai is in for mile long jams on marine drive
normally_crazy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2011, 11:35   #2
BHPian

re: Pedestrian-controlled signal crossings

Bangalore also "had" them. Vehicle drivers care a damn about them. Two places where I have seen them is Cant railway station and mallaya hospital signal.

Regards,
Old 31st May 2011, 11:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

Such systems work where you normally do not have many pedestrains waiting to be crossed. If they are few and the frequency is also low, then such systems work. In busy areas, people will keep pressing the button every few seconds.
Old 31st May 2011, 12:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Such systems work where you normally do not have many pedestrains waiting to be crossed. If they are few and the frequency is also low, then such systems work. In busy areas, people will keep pressing the button every few seconds.
Even if they keep pressing every seconds, does not mean it will be activated immediately.

It has its own timer to begin based on Traffic pattern too.
mjothi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2011, 12:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

Good initiative, I hope this will provide some much needed succour to the pedestrians on our streets. I do have my concerns that this will also be restricted to a few areas and not find any encouragement across the country

However, IMHO any traffic related issue will be resolved in India only when there is a prohibitive fine attached to it and implemented with discipline. Start fining offenders a % of their OTR vehicle cost as fines and see how people fall in line. The primary objective of a fine is to act as a deterrent and not to be affordable.
Old 31st May 2011, 12:49   #6
BHPian

I found this in Delhi near India Gate, but they didn't seem to be working and not many people were using them . I guess this would be another initiative that is started with good intentions but then falls by the way side due to negligence and ignorance.
Old 31st May 2011, 13:05   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

There is one in my hometown. Very useful I must say. Especially for children and aged people.
Old 31st May 2011, 13:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

These are very much use in UK and let me say they are monitored regularly by the motorists. I have seen a lot of disciplined pedestrians using them at the crossings and nobody does it for mischief. Even if there is a big crowd people do sensibly wait for their turn to cross the road.
Old 31st May 2011, 13:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

This is there in front of the Esteem Mall Traffic Signal, Hebbal. Last time i tried, it was not working(This was few months ago).
Old 31st May 2011, 13:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

Are the ones in Bangalore still functional? I don't think so. I would rather see Bangalore roads getting pedestrian overbridges or tunnels, than these kind of signals. There is no point in installing these signals without informing motorists and pedestrians about their use. Simply putting up boards is not enough to create awareness.
Old 31st May 2011, 13:26   #11
Team-BHP Support

Well seeing the kind of crowd that frequents the places where they are installing these devices, I think they will stop working in a matter of 1-2 months. It will only be used by the 10% of people who go for their evening walks, the other 90% who are tourists etc doing their Mumbai Darshan will just run across the road.
Old 31st May 2011, 13:40   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
There is one in my hometown. Very useful I must say. Especially for children and aged people.
I have noticed that in Kerala, most people cross the road at a zebra crossing within towns, so such initiatives work there.

Having used these quite often when in Dubai, i am actually in favour of the idea, only issue being how they are implemented and then ignored here in India.
Old 31st May 2011, 13:58   #13
BHPian

I believe this system unless it is centrally monitored, it can be misused grossly. During my experiments i have deliberately stopped my car to allow pedestraints to cross the road, when i see a pile up of elders and children, so it has to be a voluntary compliance among the vehicle users, that would be much better way of understanding that the lives of pedestrains too are important. I can afford to be late but they cannot me Late Mr or Master.
Old 31st May 2011, 14:00   #14
Team-BHP Support

Good move. If works well, it will be a boon for pedestrians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Even if they keep pressing every seconds, does not mean it will be activated immediately.
It has its own timer to begin based on Traffic pattern too.
That’s right. I have seen this functioning very well in some crossing with heavy pedestrian traffic. It has its own timer, and can be set according to the traffic regulations. For e.g.; (1) Extended green light, if there are no pedestrians to cross (2) Immediate switch to red – this I have normally seen in roads with sparse traffic and more pedestrian walkways around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
However, IMHO any traffic related issue will be resolved in India only when there is a prohibitive fine attached to it and implemented with discipline. Start fining offenders a % of their OTR vehicle cost as fines and see how people fall in line. The primary objective of a fine is to act as a deterrent and not to be affordable.
Very true, and if that is implemented, even jaywalking can be brought under strict law, which will definitely help in reducing traffic fatalities

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Just curious, which part of India?
Old 31st May 2011, 14:16   #15
Senior - BHPian

There used to a pedestrian controlled crossing signal near the Mananchira Square, Calicut.

But it stopped working as someone managed to damage it, few months back.

Most Viewed