Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2011, 09:20   #31
BHPian

Re: Civic Rear Ended!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
You bet 94K is a real shocker!

I am going to investigate the rear panel very carefully on my next visit. and will press for it to be removed if not found necesarry.
@alto99 mentioned about it being for 5 years. am not entirely sure as i am taking it one step at a time. first things first is to bring Chicca back home. and then in July will scout for a better policy.
I guess it was this post by gaurav_chopra04 http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2370004 that mentioned 0-dep for 5 years.

Here is the wording from TataAIG policy I have bought in Mar-11 effective from Apr-2011

"We will pay You the amount of depreciation deducted on the value of parts replaced for own damage claim
lodged under section 1 of the policy, provided -
-Vehicle is not more than 3 years old from the date of purchase or date of registration,
whichever is earlier at the start of period of insurance.
-There are not more than 2 claims during the period of insurance
-Vehicle is repaired at any of our Authorised Garage."
alto99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2011, 09:49   #32
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for the late response.

See the difference

Bumper 5900 -> 6800
Trunklid 12400 -> 14260
Tail Lamp exterior 4800 -> 6340

I think the bumper can be straightened out, without a paint job or a part paint job. The ones like carnation charges 3000 for a full paint job and lesser for a part paint.

Last edited by laluks : 5th June 2011 at 09:51.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2011, 10:06   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99

I guess it was this post by gaurav_chopra04 http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2370004 that mentioned 0-dep for 5 years.

Here is the wording from TataAIG policy I have bought in Mar-11 effective from Apr-2011

"We will pay You the amount of depreciation deducted on the value of parts replaced for own damage claim
lodged under section 1 of the policy, provided -
-Vehicle is not more than 3 years old from the date of purchase or date of registration,
whichever is earlier at the start of period of insurance.
-There are not more than 2 claims during the period of insurance
-Vehicle is repaired at any of our Authorised Garage."
@alto99
Sorry for the mistake. I should have double checked honda thread before typing your name. It was indeed @gaurav_chopra04 who mentioned a 5 year period
Old 5th June 2011, 11:36   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Thats right. I wanted to mean the bumper not bootlid. But typo occurred. My bad!
Ah that clears it. any info on your product Dow croning? may need to get some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukderebail View Post
On detail perusal of the estimate of the bills furnished for repairs your car, i find the estimate on painting, sealant and labour too exhorbitant. Assuming that entire labour cost is picked up by in insurance, you are supposed to pay 52 k for parts and painting job. In case you have to bear 30% towards this cost you actual liability should be around 17 k, which means you are paying 8 K EXTRA in your case. Please check out what is the cost of repainting the entire car and than work backwards, regarding sealants you can tell them you will procure from the market Dow croning is the best brand of sealant, i believe the dealer is trying flinch you in your hour of tragedy. My symphaty with you. Hope you get back you gaadi in good shape. Good luck
Thanks for providing a figure which i should be looking at paying.
Painting works are included in labour and i do not have pay anything for the paint work.
I will check out when i visit the workshop on monday regarding this sealant issue and if it is absolutely necessary.
and if so i will inform them that i will procure it from the market myself as you suggested. Any ideas on the cost? and where do i pick it up from? the local hardware shop?
Thank you for your luck and well wishes. Hope to get her back as good as new and SOON at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Sorry for the late response.

See the difference

Bumper 5900 -> 6800
Trunklid 12400 -> 14260
Tail Lamp exterior 4800 -> 6340

I think the bumper can be straightened out, without a paint job or a part paint job. The ones like carnation charges 3000 for a full paint job and lesser for a part paint.
Thanks for the comparisons on price of parts. Do you think the price has gone up? or are they trying to make some money in the middle here?
Bumper full replacement will cost me around 3K
should i just go ahead with the replacement?
Old 5th June 2011, 13:24   #35
Team-BHP Support

Bumper needs to be replaced as all the clips on the left are broken. It will be very difficult to fit it back in without Jugaad. It can be glued and screwed but alignment with panel will not be perfect. If your ok with that just get the Jugaad done and don't even bother to paint this bumper. There's no paint that's gone off.

Tail lamps don't need to be replaced at all. It's a waste of money.

Rear quarter panel is iffy. The point near the tail lamp is bent. It's just not the dent in the middle that needs to be fixed. The whole panel has lost it's alignment and to align it with the boot lines as well as bumper and tail lamps will require a lot of labour. That's why they have suggested to put in a new panel instead.

What is Gutter, Panel comp and metal sheet totalling 10K. Also why does the boot lock and hinge need replacement?
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2011, 13:43   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You bet 94K is a real shocker!

The Bumper will work out to 3400 from my side, how much will it cost to get it popped out? and will it have to painted after doing so?
have asked for a complete check on both left side tail lights. and if there is even a slight chance of water seepage will get it replaced.

Will get the left rear panel checked again, i am now thinking if not necessary then to leave it as is. the approx cost is 8500 of which i will have to pay 15% and maybe 10% salvage. What do you think?

The Bootlid is indeed going to be replaced. I will have to pay 15% of the cost and maybe 10% salvage. I am guessing they will have to paint the bootlid as it will not come painted from the spares dept.

I am probably going to go to Honda on Monday if the parts have arrived. and will survey the whole scene again. Hopefully striking off quite a few unnecessary replacements mentioned in the estimate.
The Honda guys won't try to repair the bumper; you'll have to get it repaired from outside if you want to keep the same one by just getting it in shape. And I really don't see any reason why painting the bumper is necessary; the paint doesn't seem to have come off anywhere. If there are tiny scratches (where there was impact), you could have it touched up as a Free-Of-Cost job by Honda.

If there are just minor cracks at the tail-lamp, you could tape it up nicely to avoid water seepage.

The left rear panel, I strongly suggest you get PDR done from an independant garage; I think it can be done easily for under 500.

I just hope Honda doesn't get fussy about not doing some of the jobs; they've smelt blood worth 94k, they'll try to convince you how necessary it is to replace everything.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2011, 14:20   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

The left rear panel, I strongly suggest you get PDR done from an independant garage; I think it can be done easily for under 500.
You can get the dent pulled out easy in the panel but who will fix the entire alignment? The whole panel has bent downwards. If you fit in a new trunk lid it won't align. It won't align with a new bumper or with the tail lamps. It's not so easy.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2011, 14:43   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post

Rear quarter panel is iffy. The point near the tail lamp is bent. It's just not the dent in the middle that needs to be fixed. The whole panel has lost it's alignment and to align it with the boot lines as well as bumper and tail lamps will require a lot of labour. That's why they have suggested to put in a new panel instead.
Viddy
The corner dent can be also removed from inside once boot packing is removed. This is just a tactic of making money.
Quote:
What is Gutter, Panel comp and metal sheet totalling 10K. Also why does the boot lock and hinge need replacement?
Gutter - Spare wheel well shell
Panel comp - Quarter panel
Metal sheet - Inner packing for the trunk and quarter panel
Quote:
You can get the dent pulled out easy in the panel but who will fix the entire alignment? The whole panel has bent downwards. If you fit in a new trunk lid it won't align. It won't align with a new bumper or with the tail lamps. It's not so easy.
Replacing the quarter panel would also need the same amount of alignment.
Quarter panel is not a bolt on part, it is cut and welded onto the frame which is a manual process. So, in most cases it also takes a few hit and trials to get it right.
If the damage is only this much, I would anyday prefer to get the factory fitted one piece frame repaired rather than getting another piece welded in between.

A lot depends on quality of workmanship as well.
kpzen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2011, 15:44   #39
Team-BHP Support

That is just a gut-wrenching site, mdsaab. My heart goes out to you.

It's very unfortunate when something like this happens. I've been a victim of something similar as well and the worst part about it is that I couldn't do anything about it.

I guess this is one of those bitter-pills people yap about all the time.

The 94k estimate is more than shocking!

Looks like the aim of these service centers is to just fleece their customers, come what may.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2011, 16:37   #40
Senior - BHPian

Like vid said, the bumper job can be a jugaad one. But it'll just be fine. Some minimum alignment issues will be seen. I have such things on my bumper, and since its Bangalore I let it be like that and not intimidated anymore by the bikers who want to touch it

But if you want to paint it, then I'd suggest go with the insurance and replace since the cost involved from your end are identical at 3K.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2011, 17:17   #41
BHPian

Ouch that hurts! I can understand what you must be feeling.
94k is really exorbitant. It seems they are replacing the whole left-rear side.
Can't believe you have to shell out 25k. Don't let the A.S.S or insurance guys take you for a ride.
Ask our insurance expert rjvora if you have any doubt.
Hope your Chicca comes back to its original shape soon.

Last edited by StrangeWizard : 5th June 2011 at 17:19.
StrangeWizard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2011, 15:06   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bumper needs to be replaced as all the clips on the left are broken. It will be very difficult to fit it back in without Jugaad. It can be glued and screwed but alignment with panel will not be perfect. If your ok with that just get the Jugaad done and don't even bother to paint this bumper. There's no paint that's gone off.

Tail lamps don't need to be replaced at all. It's a waste of money.

Thanks for stopping by, and giving your valuable inputs.
I have decided that at 3K from my pocket it's better to go ahead with the a new bumper.
Tail lights inspection by me is pending.
The boot lock, striker and hinges will most likely not need to be changed. Again will confirm on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
The Honda guys won't try to repair the bumper; you'll have to get it repaired from outside if you want to keep the same one by just getting it in shape. And I really don't see any reason why painting the bumper is necessary; the paint doesn't seem to have come off anywhere. If there are tiny scratches (where there was impact), you could have it touched up as a Free-Of-Cost job by Honda.

If there are just minor cracks at the tail-lamp, you could tape it up nicely to avoid water seepage.

I just hope Honda doesn't get fussy about not doing some of the jobs; they've smelt blood worth 94k, they'll try to convince you how necessary it is to replace everything.
Bumper as i mentioned have decided to just go ahead with replacement @3K is quite reasonable.
What kind of tape can i use? i am really finicky and will not be able to stand water seepage or dust getting in.

Quote:
I will question them on detail about the panel tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Viddy
The corner dent can be also removed from inside once boot packing is removed. This is just a tactic of making money.

Gutter - Spare wheel well shell
Panel comp - Quarter panel
Metal sheet - Inner packing for the trunk and quarter panel

Quarter panel is not a bolt on part, it is cut and welded onto the frame which is a manual process. So, in most cases it also takes a few hit and trials to get it right.
If the damage is only this much, I would anyday prefer to get the factory fitted one piece frame repaired rather than getting another piece welded in between.

A lot depends on quality of workmanship as well.
Thanks for your valuable inputs. Am going to try and get to the bottom of the panel issue. Can you tell me about this metal sheet, will i have to pay 50% of the costs as mentioned by the SA. or only 15% as with other metal parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
That is just a gut-wrenching site, mdsaab. My heart goes out to you.

It's very unfortunate when something like this happens. I've been a victim of something similar as well and the worst part about it is that I couldn't do anything about it.

I guess this is one of those bitter-pills people yap about all the time.

The 94k estimate is more than shocking!

Looks like the aim of these service centers is to just fleece their customers, come what may.
Thanks for your support. Look forward to getting her back in top form ASAP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Like vid said, the bumper job can be a jugaad one. But it'll just be fine. Some minimum alignment issues will be seen. I have such things on my bumper, and since its Bangalore I let it be like that and not intimidated anymore by the bikers who want to touch it

But if you want to paint it, then I'd suggest go with the insurance and replace since the cost involved from your end are identical at 3K.
Knowing my finicky self so well. Have decided to go for a full bumper replacement. Thanks for your inputs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Ouch that hurts! I can understand what you must be feeling.
94k is really exorbitant. It seems they are replacing the whole left-rear side.
Can't believe you have to shell out 25k. Don't let the A.S.S or insurance guys take you for a ride.
Ask our insurance expert rjvora if you have any doubt.
Hope your Chicca comes back to its original shape soon.
Thanks for the advice. Will try and get in touch with rjvora.
I got a huge shock when they quoted me 25K from my pocket.
Old 6th June 2011, 17:37   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Umm.. isnt it a bolt on job?. Honda technitions should have the exact points where to cut the quarter panel and the process is something like sliding the quarter panel in and gluing it together. I'm not sure if its welded. AFAIK, these are the points to be cut, after which the new quarter panel is just a bolt on job, unless the foot rail and roof are misaligned.Civic Rear Ended!-19032011637.jpg

mdsaab, here is the way the cost should be split up. I may have missed something, if so please point it out. Add to that 500Rs of claim charges. The total should come to around ~12,500 and NOT 25,000. And DO NOT accept the scrap. Leave it at the A.S.S and DO NOT pay for it.

Civic Rear Ended!-scan1-copy.jpg

Now, this is the cost assuming ALL the work is done from the A.S.S. If you go for aftermarket options for the bumper and some other parts, like fellow members suggested, you end up with a MUCH smaller bill.

Note: The civic pic is of GTO's from the 'coil spring adjusters' thread. Reason: Needed a side profile.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2011, 18:26   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your valuable inputs. Am going to try and get to the bottom of the panel issue. Can you tell me about this metal sheet, will i have to pay 50% of the costs as mentioned by the SA. or only 15% as with other metal parts.
Metal sheet is the inner packing for panel and the trunk. 2 each, i'm assuming.
How old is the car ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Umm.. isnt it a bolt on job?. Honda technitions should have the exact points where to cut the quarter panel and the process is something like sliding the quarter panel in and gluing it together. I'm not sure if its welded. AFAIK, these are the points to be cut, after which the new quarter panel is just a bolt on job, unless the foot rail and roof are misaligned.
Dhanush.
You are right in terms of joint position.
Quarter panel dimensions vary from one manufacturer to another. Honda's quarter panel covers only the half the wheel well whereas Hyundai's quarter panel goes all the way till the running board.

Quarter panel is never a bolt on job. Cutting and joining process is done by MIG welding. Its the frame of the car, you can't have it hanging there with just a glue.

Quote:
mdsaab, here is the way the cost should be split up. I may have missed something, if so please point it out. Add to that 500Rs of claim charges. The total should come to around ~12,500 and NOT 25,000. And DO NOT accept the scrap. Leave it at the A.S.S and DO NOT pay for it.
Your forgot to multiply a few items with qty.

Last edited by kpzen : 6th June 2011 at 18:28.
kpzen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2011, 18:39   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quarter panel is never a bolt on job. Cutting and joining process is done by MIG welding. Its the frame of the car, you can't have it hanging there with just a glue.
The info was gathered from Ford A.S.S. Thanks for correcting.
Quote:
Your forgot to multiply a few items with qty.
Yes. I did miss the qty. mdsaab, add 1824 to the bill. Still comes around ~14,000.
Quote:
Add to that 500Rs of claim charges. The total should come to around ~12,500 and NOT 25,000.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed