Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2011, 11:43   #1
Senior - BHPian

Civic Rear Ended!

It was the day of the first rains in Pune this monsoon season.

Wife kept saying let's not go out, had some important work to be done and hence under much protest we finally were out. The important work did not get done due to a jam up in the machine that accepts the cheques. So was back to square one. Just got back in the car and it started to pour cats and dogs.
I usually park the car with the nose facing the other way, but this time it was pointing home. Not paying attention to that clue. I took a U-Turn and headed towards MG Rd. And then it happened 10 minutes later. we were stationery and a good 3 seconds later a tempo swerves left and then right and then it happened *BANG* and Chicca was not the same as before.
I called up active Team-BHPian and dear friend @dot and informed him of what happened. and even though he didn't have a vehicle at the time and was already almost home which is way out of the way. He arranged a ride through a friend and came all the way down to the police station to help out with matters. and mind you it was raining at the time. He even drove us and Chicca back home and just told me to get in the back and relax. Don't know how to thank you for this buddy. Thanks for being there and ofcourse a big Thank You to your friend too, for coming down all the way.
I am attaching a few pictures that were taken the following morning.

Civic Rear Ended!-img_0269.jpg

Civic Rear Ended!-img_0270.jpg

Civic Rear Ended!-img_0271.jpg

Civic Rear Ended!-img_0272.jpg

Civic Rear Ended!-img_0273.jpg

Civic Rear Ended!-img_0274.jpg

Civic Rear Ended!-img_0275.jpg

Civic Rear Ended!-img_0276.jpg

Civic Rear Ended!-img_0277.jpg

Civic Rear Ended!-img_0278.jpg

Civic Rear Ended!-img_0279.jpg

Damage is clearly visible.
But one thing to point out is the dent between the rear bumper and the fuel lid. This was also caused by the rear ended hit.

So the following morning i drove Chicca to the ASC.
Was greeted by a familiar face our regular SA. He really helped throughout the whole ordeal and i felt comfortable with him handling things.

But the insurance claim and estimate was to be handled by someone else. Though very efficient i was not to happy when we told me that i would have to pay 30% for metal parts. Somehow was not too comfortable with this guy and felt at the back of my head that i might be taken for a ride by this guy.

Anyway he noted down details of the accident and i had to sign a few papers etc. and then he said the surveyor will come down and pass all that was necessary.

So i left it at that.

A few days past and still not estimate, no clue as to when Chicca would come home.

Till then i was on the Honda Service and Maintenance thread asking questions on costs and insurance matters too. The folks over on the Honda thread really helped me a lot and i had some idea as to what i would have to pay. Taking the higher side of things i estimated i would have to pay 10 Thousand at max. Which was ok with me.

The next day called up our known SA and he said he will find out what progress has taken place. He then called me back within 30 minutes and informed me that the estimate for the work is 70 Thousand and that i would have to pay around 25 Thousand. That was a ride shock. So i promptly asked him to e-mail me the estimate. He said he will ask the guy who handled the insurance to send it. After about 30 minutes our known SA calls back and informs that the insurance handler is on leave and that he will send it first thing tomorrow morning. Ofcourse i found this rather suspicious and decided that i would pay a surprise visit the very next morning.

The next morning as i had decided i just popped into the ASC. Yes i did take them by surprise. But the estimate was ready and he promptly removed a folder in which the estimate was filed. He took me through the estimate which included parts that would most likely not need to be replaced. I pointed these out to him. His reply was that he has asked the surveyor to include all items and those that need not be replaced will be used from the old setup. Such as Boot locks, boot striker etc. and that whatever is not replaced will be subtracted from the final bill.

He said that for plastic parts i would have to pay 50%
and for the metal parts 15% plus 10% salvage.

There is a big question mark on the 10% Salvage.
Any light on this 10% Salvage would be helpful.

I am including a scan of the estimate, please advise if all looks well. The "M" before the serial numbers are metal parts as pointed out by the Honda guy. and the rest are plastic parts.
He said full labour will be borne by the Insurance company except section E which i will have to pay 50% of. Any clarification on this would also be appreciated.

Civic Rear Ended!-scan1.jpg
Civic Rear Ended!-scan2.jpg

Would appreciate views on whether this estimate seems in order.

The guy who handled the insurance showed me the order of the parts to Honda and the total in his order placed showed Rs. 48,000/-
He said that the parts will be dispatched by air and as soon as the parts arrive in the stock. he would open up the car and get the work done.
He said approx 4-6 days of work after he receives the parts.
So still looking at 10 odd days here before she comes home. Isn't that a bit too long?

Would like to but in a little list here at the end of the people i would like to thank.

@dot - Thanks for your support throughout the whole ordeal, and for taking my calls and patiently listening to me while i rant on about the whole episode.

@alto99 for the bootlid cost in 2010.

@guderian For his inputs on the bootlid and confirming a replacement.

@laluks for the bootlid and rear bumper costs. as well as the Tail light and logo costs.

@hiren.mistry for his inputs on the damage and understanding my OCCD.

@smartcat for his opinion on the tail light damage.

@gaurav_chopra04 for his inputs on damage, as well as clarifying insurance issues.

@spadix for his inputs on damage and support.

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by mdsaab : 2nd June 2011 at 11:49.
Old 2nd June 2011, 13:57   #2
dot
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need Help Civic Rear Ended Never Handled Insurance Before

From the estimate it looks like they are planning to change the entire left rear section. Question is,

is it really necessary to change everything?
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2011, 14:07   #3
BHPian

Recently had to take insurance for metal parts. I was told 20% depreciation - it is a 3+ yrs old car but there was no talk about this 10% salvage. Which insurance company is this? Salvage is typically sold by the insurance company.
enygma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2011, 14:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Mdsaab, first of all, my heart pours out to you mate. That sight is indeed bad. It's like a scar on the mind that will never go.

Now, firstly, the estimate looks to be in proper order. However, as @dot rightly pointed out, is it necessary to change the entire rear alignment? Can you get it confirmed from another dealer?

Also, dont you have the 0% dep insurance? If that is what you dont have, then plastics repair/replacement would indeed be borne by you. My suggestion, when the policy is up for renewal, get the 0%dep WITHOUT FAIL.

Now, if you do have the 0dep, then you would need to pay only labour charges, which IMO should not be more than a few k's. Get the same clarified with the insurance guy.

For the insurance claim and repair afterwards, it normally takes around 7 days. Give or take a day or two. So 10 days does not seem to be wrong.

Last edited by Swanand Inamdar : 2nd June 2011 at 14:16.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2011, 14:20   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Now, if you do have the 0dep, then you would need to pay only labour charges, which IMO should not be more than a few k's. Get the same clarified with the insurance guy.
Thats wrong. labour is borne by insurance co even in non-0dep policy. mdsaab has stated that in his post as well. By the way he does not have a 0dep policy (gathered from another thread).

In 0 dep policy all one has to pay is compulsory deductible and towing charges, etc if they exceed beyond specified limits.
alto99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2011, 14:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

The estimate and labour charges look a bit higher to me for a not so big accident.

96k is exorbitant !!

I also do not understand why you have to pay almost 25k !!!

Our in house insurance expert rupesh vora can be helpful in your matter.
vkochar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2011, 14:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

Firstly, the reason for forums and members is justified everytime i hear a member helping out another when needed. Great job @Dot

Can you double check if the left side rear door is damaged. The repair estimate has mention of some LHR RR Door (which looks ok to me)

Also the tail lights look ok to me. Not sure if you need new ones.

They have to replace the boot lid and the bumper and Left QP. Assume the right QP is ok.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2011, 14:38   #8
BHPian

@mdsaab: Really felt bad looking at the pics. I am sure you must have repented on why at all you went out.
I don't think the accident looks serious damage enough for the cost they are quoting for repairs. Although Deccan Honda Pimpri workshop is the best and well equipped to fix this still I would advice you dropin at Crystal Honda to get the competitive repair estimates - no harm in doing that. I have seen a similar job very decently done by Crystal Honda as well - may be you can check this with Captain Nandu Chitnis (his ANHC was also rear ended sometime back).
Deccan Honda has a tendency to take customers for ride when dealing in such matters.

Lastly, as everyone said it doesn't look necessary to change the whole rear; I would say even the bumper looks intact and can be cured with blower and heat treatment (unless the press-fit alignment clips are broken).

If you are open to option then I can even suggest you a non Honda garage from PCMC does these kinds of jobs - may be you can check it out with him too (Let me know - I will need to get his number from my friend). This friend of mine had rear ended his Optra for which Pashankar quoted 60k, this garage fixed it for 10k without any noticable difference.

Last edited by RemingtonSteele : 2nd June 2011 at 14:53.
RemingtonSteele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2011, 14:42   #9
Team-BHP Support

It is quite an unpleasant rear-end.

Some time back, a friend's Civic was rear-ended and the bumper took quite a hit. Some of it came out almost immediately and the rest popped out at the HASS when the mechanics applied pressure at appropriate points.

From the look of it, doesn't look like the paint has come off on the bumper; can you get them to just repair it by getting it to pop out?

I was going to mention abou the tail-lamp too but then noticed tiny scratches on the part tail lamp on the boot.

Similarly, on the left panel (over the fuel lid), doesn't look like paint has come off; HASS wouldn't carry out PDR, can you get it done somewhere else? Only problem is, until that is fixed, the bumper might not fit it properly.

Lastly, they have mentioned the LID COMP, TRUNK in the parts list for 14k; does this mean it is going to be replaced? If so, why is it mentioned in the Painting section too?

I know it's painful to accept just repairs and not replacements in some aspects (straightening the bumper, PDR on panel, not replacing tail lamps), but 94k is a huge amount!

Hope you get your car back in good shape soon.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 2nd June 2011 at 14:44.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2011, 15:26   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Labor is covered 100% by the insurance. The parts total comes to around 51k, so, for paying 25k all the parts replaced need to be plastic/fiber, which clearly isn't. So you SHOULD NOT be paying 25k.

Now, I guess its the 10% savage that's inflating the bill. Damaged/Replaced parts are the property of the insurance company, and savage is the price they sell it to you to take home. So if you decide to let it be their property, and refuse to buy it, you need not pay the price. In any case, I guess 10% is very high, as IIRC, i paid ~1000rs for 44k worth damage to my IKON.

Now looking at the bill, the trunk light needs replacement, but does the tail light need?. Rest of the parts seem justifiable.

Regarding section 'E', I'm finding it difficult to make sense out of Honda's nomenclature, but as long as its labor it SHOULD be borne 100% by the insurance. Or is it some part like the sealant used while replacing the windsheild?

Again, regarding section 'E'. Some A.S.S split up the painting into labor and paint, and make the customer pay 50% of the paint charges, but some other include all the paint and labor in 'labor' so that 100% is borne by the insurance. I guess this is a similar case.

Talk to the SA, and please ask them in detail about section E. Il post the amount you need to shell out in a while.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2011, 15:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

mdsaab,

My heart goes out for you, surely the car in bad shape was not enough and now you have been burdended with a repair cost which like everyone else even I feel is inflated. I am sure the service guys and the Insurers are hand in glove in this above normal cost of repair. I can say this since I have seen the Surveyor and the workshop manager haggle over the damage repair cost for one of the Ford vehicles at the Ford workshop in Thane when I had gone for the usual service. They were dealing like road side vendors, believe me. Might be the same in your case too.

Would it be appropriate if you could write to Honda regarding the estimate and get their opinion on the cost of the spares atleast.

I just hope that you get over with this ordeal and get the vehicle back in shape for that peace of mind.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2011, 15:57   #12
BHPian

Some haggling has already happened - the numbers written by pen are what have been agreed upon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
mdsaab,

I can say this since I have seen the Surveyor and the workshop manager haggle over the damage repair cost for one of the Ford vehicles at the Ford workshop
Mdsaab,

I see some RHS Quarter Panel work (total of 5.5k) that Surveyor has crossed out. Was this some previous scratch/dent on RHS that you had requested to be done? This might be what is making the your share come to 25k.

Best of luck !
enygma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2011, 17:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Also the tail lights look ok to me. Not sure if you need new ones.

They have to replace the boot lid and the bumper and Left QP. Assume the right QP is ok.
The tail lights, as such look ok. Quite a possibility, that the joint thingys have given away though.

Also, instead of changing the left QP, wouldnt it work if denting painting was carried out? I mean, denting- painting would definately be cheaper than changing the whole part right? Also, the left QP hasnt taken that big an impact, that it needs to be changed (Thats how it looks to me).
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2011, 17:30   #14
BANNED

This is sad.

Reminded me of my old ride which got rear ended on Mahabaleshwar Higway. Driver on my back was so taken by natural beauty that he didnt notice that traffic is stand still ahead.

I used insurance claim and had to pay only for plastic parts in tune of 50% which includes tail lamp. TATA AAS suggested replacement of back door, but denting and painting served the job well.

From photos, it seems that tail lamps are safe and boot can be dented and painted (100% covered.).
Attached Thumbnails
Civic Rear Ended!-1.jpg  

idea is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2011, 18:03   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Civic Rear Ended!

Buddy the same thing happened to my car last year,when a huge Cement Truck smashed into the car.Had posted pics long back in another thread.

Linky.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post2154724
cityvic is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed