Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2011, 19:00   #16
BHPian

Re: Civic Rear Ended!

mdsaab, the tail lamp is not broken. So why are the people at Honda replacing it? Yes, there are a few scratches on them. But I think its not too deep and you can ignore it. The whole left side tail light assembly costs almost 10k which is a bit too much IMO.
vaibzi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2011, 19:57   #17
Senior - BHPian

I am just wondering why are the costs different in different HASS?
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2011, 21:39   #18
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Can you elaborate which parts prices are different. We were expecting the bootlid to be around 5k, but it is more. Is it that they have hiked prices recently?
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2011, 13:44   #19
Senior - BHPian

Team, First of all sorry for the extremely late reply. Was running around getting important work done. And all these replies, Thank you for taking the time to share your views as well as offer your support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enygma View Post
Recently had to take insurance for metal parts. I was told 20% depreciation - it is a 3+ yrs old car but there was no talk about this 10% salvage. Which insurance company is this? Salvage is typically sold by the insurance company.
That's exactly what i thought and a few other confirmed too. Chicca is just under 3 so i would have to pay only 15% but this salvage thing needs to be sorted out with Honda ASC. I have not said a word yet, waiting from some advancement on the repairs from their side. But Thanks for clarifying about Salvage. Our insurance company is United Insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Mdsaab, first of all, my heart pours out to you mate. That sight is indeed bad. It's like a scar on the mind that will never go.

Now, firstly, the estimate looks to be in proper order. However, as @dot rightly pointed out, is it necessary to change the entire rear alignment? Can you get it confirmed from another dealer?

Also, dont you have the 0% dep insurance? If that is what you dont have, then plastics repair/replacement would indeed be borne by you. My suggestion, when the policy is up for renewal, get the 0%dep WITHOUT FAIL.

Now, if you do have the 0dep, then you would need to pay only labour charges, which IMO should not be more than a few k's. Get the same clarified with the insurance guy.

For the insurance claim and repair afterwards, it normally takes around 7 days. Give or take a day or two. So 10 days does not seem to be wrong.
Thanks visiting the thread. I have heard a lot about you but unfortunately we haven't been able to meet(good things ofcourse). Look forward to meeting up at a future meet. No. Not the Mumbai-Pune Mega meet, am not in the frame of mind right now.

Coming to the rear alignment. When i visited the dealership to get the estimate i insisted on a visit to Chicca. The SA showed clearly that behind the bumper the metal has been bent inwards. I guess that's why.

I am going to pay a lot of attention to this advice on 0% dep. I have been advised by @alto99 on the Honda thread too about the same. and you can be pretty sure that come July i will get this changed to 0% dep.

Point noted on the time for repairs and have realised too that it's pretty reasonable, so not going to complain on that anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
Thats wrong. labour is borne by insurance co even in non-0dep policy. mdsaab has stated that in his post as well. By the way he does not have a 0dep policy (gathered from another thread).

In 0 dep policy all one has to pay is compulsory deductible and towing charges, etc if they exceed beyond specified limits.
You are right on that buddy. and as mentioned will "UPGRADE" the policy to 0% dep. Thanks for this advice and for pointing out that i am eligible for it uptill 5 years. I was of the impression that it's only till 3 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
The estimate and labour charges look a bit higher to me for a not so big accident.

96k is exorbitant !!

I also do not understand why you have to pay almost 25k !!!

Our in house insurance expert rupesh vora can be helpful in your matter.
Thanks for your advice on contacting Rupesh Vora. Will definately get his views on the same. I too find the parts and labour to be way off. But the SA said that he has included everything in the estimate and what will not have to be replaced will be deducted from the costs. So as an added measure called up our known SA and asked him to inform me when the parts arrive in stock and i will come down to the workshop when they open things up.
It's coming to 25K because 5K itself will be salvage. which should be knocked off immediately. God things are so wishy washy with these guys. I really wish things were more transparent. There is so much ambiguity surrounding the whole case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Firstly, the reason for forums and members is justified everytime i hear a member helping out another when needed. Great job @Dot

Can you double check if the left side rear door is damaged. The repair estimate has mention of some LHR RR Door (which looks ok to me)

Also the tail lights look ok to me. Not sure if you need new ones.

They have to replace the boot lid and the bumper and Left QP. Assume the right QP is ok.
You bet. Forums and their members are totally justified. Plus here at Team-BHP we are more than just a forum we are a TEAM. Again would like to thank everyone for taking out the time to help me out with this issue and ofcourse especially @dot.

You are right, this LHS RR Door under section B SR 2 looks a bit odd. Will ask for clarification on this.
also these ~
Section C SR 1
and under Painting SR 5
will update on this.

Tail lights ~ The one mounted on the bumper is quite cracked and water will most likely seep in. the left outer most one, only has a tiny scratch which is not to deep. I don't think water will seep into this one. I have asked the SA to get it checked properly to see it water will seep in. The SA said that he does not mind fitting the existing ones. But if water seeps in, and i go back after a month or so. I will have to pay full price and not get 50% from the insurance company.

You are right the left will have to be replaced along with the bootlid. right side though there is no damage whatsoever.

Really sorry have to reply from @RemingtonSteele onwards but i have to run again. Will come back and reply. as well as a few questions that i have which hopefully you guys will help me with.

Thanks again for being there everyone. And sorry for the on and off replies.
Please bear with me.
Drive Safe!
Old 4th June 2011, 14:15   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
That's exactly what i thought and a few other confirmed too. Chicca is just under 3 so i would have to pay only 15% but this salvage thing needs to be sorted out with Honda ASC. I have not said a word yet, waiting from some advancement on the repairs from their side. But Thanks for clarifying about Salvage. Our insurance company is United Insurance.
Not sure if Honda would be able to do anything about the salvage clause since you've not taken insurance from the dealership.

UA just might have this clause in the policy they sold you. If you do need to pay, then I presume you would then be the owner of the damaged/salvage parts and can arrange to sell them in the (scrap?) market to recover some of the 5K.
shuvc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2011, 14:35   #21
Team-BHP Support

Sad to read about the accident. But looks like your Civic has absorbed the impact quite well.

I am no expert in insurance claims, but is quite puzzled in the way it works. Last year when I was in India (in Nov 2010), my car brushed on one of the pillars in apartment parking entrance, and got a scratch and small dent on the left rear door. Immediately took the car to the Ford AS&S. After the initial assessment, I was told that it will cost around Rs.8000 to fix, and around Rs.1000 will go from my pocket. They agreed to return the car in a couple of days, but I did not leave the car there as I needed it for the airport run next day (as I was returning to Singapore).
After a couple of days, the AS&S guys took the car from my apartment, did the repairs, and returned the car in a couple of days. Job well done, we paid around Rs.1100 from our pocket, and everyone happy. But, a month later - in December, when the insurance renewal came, I was shocked to hear from my dad that this specific repair costed around Rs.40000!

Now I am yet to go back after this, but I am not sure who ripped off whom in this case. Maybe something fishy from the dealership. Not sure
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2011, 15:06   #22
BANNED

@vb-san; Insurance claims are a big fraud, so you have just seen one extreme case. Any damage repair if done privately, the cost (i.e., other than parts) is about 50% of the insurance price. Also, they will try and fix many of the parts they will replace under insurance. I have also heard that there are some workshops which over invoice insurance claims to cover the customers share (illegal and unofficial of course).
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2011, 15:23   #23
Senior - BHPian

Have the SA thoroughly check the damages and include only those items which are damaged. I feel he could include the entire car in the estimate, claiming "if it's not damaged it won't be replaced".

Be sure to be present with him when he goes through the parts, with a camera. Click photos of any parts he claims to have been damaged and requiring repairs or replacement.

Boot lid does not need replacement, IMO. If you can't live with the scratches/dents, you can get them fixed at a competent workshop. The re-paint may not exactly match, but if it's gonna save you moolah, why not?

Lights? No no, unless the glass has been broken. Then again you could get cheaper lights aftermarket.

Damage as seen in the photos doesn't seem worth the amount in the estimate.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2011, 16:02   #24
Senior - BHPian

mdsaab.
Sad to hear about the accident.

As per my calculation, you would have to shell out 15k only. Reason for that is

1. Quarter panel (Item no.15) replacement is not required at all. Its just a small dent, would take hardly 2 hrs to remove that. Replacing quarter panel involves lot of cutting and welding process, can dent the resale value of the car as well. Hence, its never advisable unless the damage is such that quarter panel cannot be dented back to shape or in case the denting process would weaken the sheet strength.
Panel Comp - Rs 6565
Metal sheet - Rs 2000
Cutting welding - Rs 2400
Coating sealant - Rs 2800
All the above can be avoided.

2. Item No.7 & No. 8 Trunk lock and striker are perfectly fine. No need to replace them.
You can save around 3k + labour here.

Good luck.
kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2011, 16:57   #25
BHPian

Mdsaab, what kpzen is saying seems correct. Those dents are easily fixable and there's no need to get the entire panel changed. I hope you receive your car back soon.

I don't know about other insurance companies but TATA AIG's depreciation reimbursement policy is only for 3 years. You can check the same from the link given below and if you switch, choose add ons from those given below.
Car Insurance Quotes, Car Insurance Policy – Tata AIG Insurance

Which Insurance company offers the 5 year reimbursement which you mentioned ?

No part of the cost is being borne by the Tempo driver/company ?

I wish you all the best.
sukrit7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2011, 17:50   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteele
@mdsaab: Really felt bad looking at the pics. I am sure you must have repented on why at all you went out.
I don't think the accident looks serious damage enough for the cost they are quoting for repairs. Although Deccan Honda Pimpri workshop is the best and well equipped to fix this still I would advice you dropin at Crystal Honda to get the competitive repair estimates - no harm in doing that. I have seen a similar job very decently done by Crystal Honda as well - may be you can check this with Captain Nandu Chitnis (his ANHC was also rear ended sometime back).
Deccan Honda has a tendency to take customers for ride when dealing in such matters.

Lastly, as everyone said it doesn't look necessary to change the whole rear; I would say even the bumper looks intact and can be cured with blower and heat treatment (unless the press-fit alignment clips are broken).

If you are open to option then I can even suggest you a non Honda garage from PCMC does these kinds of jobs - may be you can check it out with him too (Let me know - I will need to get his number from my friend). This friend of mine had rear ended his Optra for which Pashankar quoted 60k, this garage fixed it for 10k without any noticable difference.
You are absolutely correct REPENT is the word.
From now on will listen to the wife. Infact that is the moral of this whole incident.

I should have taken it to Crystal Honda for the second opinion. @dot kept telling me to go get a second opinion too. Now i think its a bit late. I just want to get the matter over and Chicca home ASAP. And yeah to not get cheated would be on that list too.
After that i want to write this off as one bad bad nightmare.

Deccan Honda Pimpri as you mention. Is a really good facility and well equipped too. There may be a few bad lemons. But i guess they will be everywhere and at any dealership.

I would have taken you up on that independent garage in PCMC. But its my own fault for not getting back to this thread on time. Thanks for the offer.

Just realised that there is no quote + option on the android application. It is one fantastic application and a nifty little thing to have with you while on the move.

So will reply onwards in my next post.
Drive safe!
Old 4th June 2011, 19:13   #27
Senior - BHPian

Just had a change of Boot on my ANHC. Total Rs 32000/- I paid Rs 5200/- That was a shocker as at the time of buying I asked for 0%dep policy but Honda Assure did not get the message and I had to pay for the damage. Both the tail lights were not damaged in my case rest all looked similar.

RR Honda and Pearl Honda gave me different quote and ofcourse Pearl Honda was lower and they did a superb job of returning the car in 3 days (mine is white color). That was due to 31st March closing. Thus turn around time can be reduced in your case as well. Try different workshops.

Just paid 21000/- for Tata-AIG Pearl 0%dep insurance. Worth paying than Rs 22000 Honda Assure normal policy. What a rip-off by Honda.
Sn1p3r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2011, 01:55   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
It is quite an unpleasant rear-end.

Some time back, a friend's Civic was rear-ended and the bumper took quite a hit. Some of it came out almost immediately and the rest popped out at the HASS when the mechanics applied pressure at appropriate points.

From the look of it, doesn't look like the paint has come off on the bumper; can you get them to just repair it by getting it to pop out?

I was going to mention abou the tail-lamp too but then noticed tiny scratches on the part tail lamp on the boot.

Similarly, on the left panel (over the fuel lid), doesn't look like paint has come off; HASS wouldn't carry out PDR, can you get it done somewhere else? Only problem is, until that is fixed, the bumper might not fit it properly.

Lastly, they have mentioned the LID COMP, TRUNK in the parts list for 14k; does this mean it is going to be replaced? If so, why is it mentioned in the Painting section too?

I know it's painful to accept just repairs and not replacements in some aspects (straightening the bumper, PDR on panel, not replacing tail lamps), but 94k is a huge amount!

Hope you get your car back in good shape soon.
You bet 94K is a real shocker!

The Bumper will work out to 3400 from my side, how much will it cost to get it popped out? and will it have to painted after doing so?
have asked for a complete check on both left side tail lights. and if there is even a slight chance of water seepage will get it replaced.

Will get the left rear panel checked again, i am now thinking if not necessary then to leave it as is. the approx cost is 8500 of which i will have to pay 15% and maybe 10% salvage. What do you think?

The Bootlid is indeed going to be replaced. I will have to pay 15% of the cost and maybe 10% salvage. I am guessing they will have to paint the bootlid as it will not come painted from the spares dept.

I am probably going to go to Honda on Monday if the parts have arrived. and will survey the whole scene again. Hopefully striking off quite a few unnecessary replacements mentioned in the estimate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Labor is covered 100% by the insurance. The parts total comes to around 51k, so, for paying 25k all the parts replaced need to be plastic/fiber, which clearly isn't. So you SHOULD NOT be paying 25k.

Now, I guess its the 10% savage that's inflating the bill. Damaged/Replaced parts are the property of the insurance company, and savage is the price they sell it to you to take home. So if you decide to let it be their property, and refuse to buy it, you need not pay the price. In any case, I guess 10% is very high, as IIRC, i paid ~1000rs for 44k worth damage to my IKON.

Now looking at the bill, the trunk light needs replacement, but does the tail light need?. Rest of the parts seem justifiable.

Regarding section 'E', I'm finding it difficult to make sense out of Honda's nomenclature, but as long as its labor it SHOULD be borne 100% by the insurance. Or is it some part like the sealant used while replacing the windsheild?

Again, regarding section 'E'. Some A.S.S split up the painting into labor and paint, and make the customer pay 50% of the paint charges, but some other include all the paint and labor in 'labor' so that 100% is borne by the insurance. I guess this is a similar case.

Talk to the SA, and please ask them in detail about section E. Il post the amount you need to shell out in a while.
Indeed labour is 100% borne by the insurance company. But here they have asked me to pay 50% of section E - Coating and Sealant.

Exactly why i got a rude shock when he said i would have to pay approx 25K. Especially when the Metal parts in the list are approx 25K of which only 15% and maybe 10% salvage has to be paid by me.

Thanks for giving some clarity on salvage. Will definately have a word with the SA on this when i meet him next. this salvage works out to around 5K which is a huge amount. and what in the world am i to do with the damaged parts. i don't want to have to deal with the scrap vendors trying to get rid of it.

It is indeed some sort of sealant, i will again clarify this when i meet him next. and confirm as to why i have to pay 50% of this. I was a bit nervous when i read the word windshield. and so i asked the SA whether they would be touching the rear windshield and he said no. that was a relief.

The last section has all the paint work and he informed that it would be borne by the insurance company. I would only have to pay 50% of section E. But again will confirm this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
mdsaab,

My heart goes out for you, surely the car in bad shape was not enough and now you have been burdended with a repair cost which like everyone else even I feel is inflated. I am sure the service guys and the Insurers are hand in glove in this above normal cost of repair. I can say this since I have seen the Surveyor and the workshop manager haggle over the damage repair cost for one of the Ford vehicles at the Ford workshop in Thane when I had gone for the usual service. They were dealing like road side vendors, believe me. Might be the same in your case too.

Would it be appropriate if you could write to Honda regarding the estimate and get their opinion on the cost of the spares atleast.

I just hope that you get over with this ordeal and get the vehicle back in shape for that peace of mind.
Thanks for bringing to light the dealings of the insurance and service guys and the ways in which they work. I had the feeling the moment i saw this HONDA SA that i would be taken for a ride. I am hoping in the end i would be wrong with my judgement and give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

The order of parts which was sent to Honda was shown to me. The total amount of the order was 48K. So i guess the prices should be correct.

Thanks. Hope to get Chicca back home and as good as new ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enygma View Post
Some haggling has already happened - the numbers written by pen are what have been agreed upon.

Mdsaab,

I see some RHS Quarter Panel work (total of 5.5k) that Surveyor has crossed out. Was this some previous scratch/dent on RHS that you had requested to be done? This might be what is making the your share come to 25k.

Best of luck !
Now that you mention it. You are 100% correct the tick marks and figures written by pen are indeed the haggling amounts between the two parties.

I looked through the estimate again and there is RHS QP mentioned. but the funny thing is that not only with Chicca but Angel (Matiz) too the right side of my cars are spotless, it's the left where i usually get hit. Strange but true. in section C SR 3 RHS QP is mentioned and then crossed out.
and then again in painting totaling to 5.5K and i have most definately not asked for any other work to be done on the car. and as mentioned earlier there is nothing to be done on the right side anyways.

Thanks, need all the luck i can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
The tail lights, as such look ok. Quite a possibility, that the joint thingys have given away though.

Also, instead of changing the left QP, wouldnt it work if denting painting was carried out? I mean, denting- painting would definately be cheaper than changing the whole part right? Also, the left QP hasnt taken that big an impact, that it needs to be changed (Thats how it looks to me).
Will do a thorough check on the tail lights and their respective mounts and clips or as you mentioned joint thingys.

the left QP, just looked at the estimate again. Now this being a metal part and assuming i have to pay even the high 25% including salvage.
Then it totals to approx 8.5 K so 25% works to 2,125/-
How much will it cost for denting painting only? well anyways this will be borne by the insurance company.
But do you feel i should pay 2K and get it replaced. I mean will it be better?
if so i would not mind paying 2K for peace of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea View Post
This is sad.

Reminded me of my old ride which got rear ended on Mahabaleshwar Higway. Driver on my back was so taken by natural beauty that he didnt notice that traffic is stand still ahead.

I used insurance claim and had to pay only for plastic parts in tune of 50% which includes tail lamp. TATA AAS suggested replacement of back door, but denting and painting served the job well.

From photos, it seems that tail lamps are safe and boot can be dented and painted (100% covered.).
First of all i feel bad that you too had to go through a rear ended mishap.
It's really frustrating when for no fault of yours you have to suffer and go through all this pain of visiting the workshop and worry about getting cheated etc etc. 101 things to bug you no end.

The boot would cost me from my pocket around 3.5K (@ high 25% including salvage)
some fellow members feel that the denting and re-shaping will not be able to bring the boot to it's original glory because it's hard to get the shape correct around the curve of the boot. hence decided to go ahead with the change of the boot. hopefully this 10% salvage will be sorted out and i will only have to pay 15% bringing my share of the cost lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
Buddy the same thing happened to my car last year,when a huge Cement Truck smashed into the car.Had posted pics long back in another thread.

Linky.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post2154724
No not again. Why? i mean here you are going on about your drive in a very safe and proper manner, obeying all traffic rules. and then all of a sudden *bang* and for no fault of yours. I hope your car is back to it's former glory and you have written this whole episode off.
Thanks for the link. Shall visit your thread and check how you dealt with this mishap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibzi View Post
mdsaab, the tail lamp is not broken. So why are the people at Honda replacing it? Yes, there are a few scratches on them. But I think its not too deep and you can ignore it. The whole left side tail light assembly costs almost 10k which is a bit too much IMO.
A huge point. 5K will have to paid from my pocket if both need to be replaced. I am going to get the tail lights checked thoroughly and hopefully they need not be replaced. well atleast the left outer most one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Is there a big difference? any light on the same would indeed help greatly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Can you elaborate which parts prices are different. We were expecting the bootlid to be around 5k, but it is more. Is it that they have hiked prices recently?
Bootlid was 12400 as mentioned by @laluks

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Not sure if Honda would be able to do anything about the salvage clause since you've not taken insurance from the dealership.

UA just might have this clause in the policy they sold you. If you do need to pay, then I presume you would then be the owner of the damaged/salvage parts and can arrange to sell them in the (scrap?) market to recover some of the 5K.
The insurance policy is the same as the one taken from the dealership when we bought the vehicle from them.
I will read through to find out if UA has a clause mentioning the same. or call them to clarify on this matter.
Yes i will be given the damaged parts to take home with me. But thing is that i would prefer to not pay the 10% and leave the parts at Honda. Who wants to deal with scrap vendors, no not after going through all this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Sad to read about the accident. But looks like your Civic has absorbed the impact quite well.

I am no expert in insurance claims, but is quite puzzled in the way it works. Last year when I was in India (in Nov 2010), my car brushed on one of the pillars in apartment parking entrance, and got a scratch and small dent on the left rear door. Immediately took the car to the Ford AS&S. After the initial assessment, I was told that it will cost around Rs.8000 to fix, and around Rs.1000 will go from my pocket. They agreed to return the car in a couple of days, but I did not leave the car there as I needed it for the airport run next day (as I was returning to Singapore).
After a couple of days, the AS&S guys took the car from my apartment, did the repairs, and returned the car in a couple of days. Job well done, we paid around Rs.1100 from our pocket, and everyone happy. But, a month later - in December, when the insurance renewal came, I was shocked to hear from my dad that this specific repair costed around Rs.40000!

Now I am yet to go back after this, but I am not sure who ripped off whom in this case. Maybe something fishy from the dealership. Not sure
Part reason for the well absorbed impact is, it was not a extreme high speed *bang* and the fact that i had released the brakes slightly upon noticing this tempo swerving in a weird fashion. So Chicca rolled slightly forward reducing the impact to some extent.

WOW! that sure is one huge bill. good thing though that you only had to pay 1,100. I guess when it comes to insurance people take great advantage and charge for work and parts that don't need to be done or replaced. Very sad but true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@vb-san; Insurance claims are a big fraud, so you have just seen one extreme case. Any damage repair if done privately, the cost (i.e., other than parts) is about 50% of the insurance price. Also, they will try and fix many of the parts they will replace under insurance. I have also heard that there are some workshops which over invoice insurance claims to cover the customers share (illegal and unofficial of course).
Professor thanks for stopping by. a huge scam indeed. I just hope i am not taken for a huge ride on this. i was estimating a 10K bill from my pocked which has now escalated to 25K. A lot of stress resulting out of this ordeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Have the SA thoroughly check the damages and include only those items which are damaged. I feel he could include the entire car in the estimate, claiming "if it's not damaged it won't be replaced".

Be sure to be present with him when he goes through the parts, with a camera. Click photos of any parts he claims to have been damaged and requiring repairs or replacement.

Boot lid does not need replacement, IMO. If you can't live with the scratches/dents, you can get them fixed at a competent workshop. The re-paint may not exactly match, but if it's gonna save you moolah, why not?

Lights? No no, unless the glass has been broken. Then again you could get cheaper lights aftermarket.

Damage as seen in the photos doesn't seem worth the amount in the estimate.
You are right. He has gone overboard with his inclusion of parts.
I will definately take my camera now that you mentioned it. Thanks for this brilliant piece of advice.
Bootlid as i mentioned earlier will be 3.5K at max. This amount for piece of mind i can live with.
I will do a thorough check on the lights when i visit the workshop next.
Any clue as to the price of tail lights after market? the 2 left tail lights are costing 10K here of which i will have to pay 5K from my pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
mdsaab.
Sad to hear about the accident.

As per my calculation, you would have to shell out 15k only. Reason for that is

1. Quarter panel (Item no.15) replacement is not required at all. Its just a small dent, would take hardly 2 hrs to remove that. Replacing quarter panel involves lot of cutting and welding process, can dent the resale value of the car as well. Hence, its never advisable unless the damage is such that quarter panel cannot be dented back to shape or in case the denting process would weaken the sheet strength.
Panel Comp - Rs 6565
Metal sheet - Rs 2000
Cutting welding - Rs 2400
Coating sealant - Rs 2800
All the above can be avoided.

2. Item No.7 & No. 8 Trunk lock and striker are perfectly fine. No need to replace them.
You can save around 3k + labour here.

Good luck.
Thanks for the very detailed breakup.
I am going to thoroughly investigate on the rear quarter panel. And if not necessary will push for it to be removed from the estimate. If all this work on the rear panel is just for that small dent near the fuel filler lid. Then i am immediately calling it off.

Regarding trunk lock and striker. That's exactly what i told the SA.
Thanks for the Good luck will definately need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
Mdsaab, what kpzen is saying seems correct. Those dents are easily fixable and there's no need to get the entire panel changed. I hope you receive your car back soon.

I don't know about other insurance companies but TATA AIG's depreciation reimbursement policy is only for 3 years. You can check the same from the link given below and if you switch, choose add ons from those given below.
Car Insurance Quotes, Car Insurance Policy – Tata AIG Insurance

Which Insurance company offers the 5 year reimbursement which you mentioned ?

No part of the cost is being borne by the Tempo driver/company ?

I wish you all the best.
I am going to investigate the rear panel very carefully on my next visit. and will press for it to be removed if not found necesarry.
@alto99 mentioned about it being for 5 years. am not entirely sure as i am taking it one step at a time. first things first is to bring Chicca back home. and then in July will scout for a better policy.

I had taken the tempo drivers license to the police station. and explained the whole accident.
because my wife was injured slightly due to this rear ended collision. I obviously was more concerned about her first. My wife called up the cop and spoke to him in Marathi about the incident and explained how i would not be able to come to the police station the very next day as we had to go to the doctor. Anyways to cut a long story short. Last heard the Tempo guy paid rs.1000 to the cops and got his license back. So i guess there is nothing more to do. Just left it at that.

Thanks for your wishes, need any and every wish and luck headed my way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Just had a change of Boot on my ANHC. Total Rs 32000/- I paid Rs 5200/- That was a shocker as at the time of buying I asked for 0%dep policy but Honda Assure did not get the message and I had to pay for the damage. Both the tail lights were not damaged in my case rest all looked similar.

RR Honda and Pearl Honda gave me different quote and ofcourse Pearl Honda was lower and they did a superb job of returning the car in 3 days (mine is white color). That was due to 31st March closing. Thus turn around time can be reduced in your case as well. Try different workshops.

Just paid 21000/- for Tata-AIG Pearl 0%dep insurance. Worth paying than Rs 22000 Honda Assure normal policy. What a rip-off by Honda.
No not you too. frustrating to the core i tell you.
32K wow that's quite a lot. so what exactly did they change?
This is absurd. you clearly asked for 0% dep and yet you had to shell out for the damage. very unfair.
A good turn around though. 3 days is really fast. It's still not confirmed if my parts have arrived and i gave Chicca to them on the 27th of May.
The quote i got from Honda Assure last time was crazy, this was for a normal policy not 0% dep and it was more than what i was already paying. So i explained to the lady on the phone, that if the quote given by her is more than what i am currently paying, do you think anyone would be stupid enough to go in for it. she obviously did not know what to say, and kept on speaking about cashless claim etc. etc. so i just informed her politely that i am not interested.
It's good you went in for a 0% dep policy. and can you imagine you are getting the benefit of 0% and still paying less than Honda Assure. crazy pricing policy by Honda.

So to sum it up.
On my next visit to ASC which will most likely be on Monday, I will look into
1. Rear Quarter Panel.
2. Tail Lights.
3. 10% Salvage issue.

I wanted to ask if anyone has a clue on this Meatal sheet.
When i asked the SA said it is used during the welding process.
I asked whether this is a metal sheet? he said NO!
and that i would have to pay 50% of this so 2K from my pocket.
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2011, 07:16   #29
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Bootlid was 12400 as mentioned by @laluks
Thats right. I wanted to mean the bumper not bootlid. But typo occurred. My bad!
Old 5th June 2011, 07:25   #30
BHPian

On detail perusal of the estimate of the bills furnished for repairs your car, i find the estimate on painting, sealant and labour too exhorbitant. Assuming that entire labour cost is picked up by in insurance, you are supposed to pay 52 k for parts and painting job. In case you have to bear 30% towards this cost you actual liability should be around 17 k, which means you are paying 8 K EXTRA in your case. Please check out what is the cost of repainting the entire car and than work backwards, regarding sealants you can tell them you will procure from the market Dow croning is the best brand of sealant, i believe the dealer is trying flinch you in your hour of tragedy. My symphaty with you. Hope you get back you gaadi in good shape. Good luck
ukderebail is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks