Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2012, 22:07   #1486
BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Does anyone know what are they constructing in the middle of the road on the section between RTO and Alandi road?
Its the BRTS bus stops. On the same road , if you go towards vishrantwadi , one bus stop has been constructed. Yes, have experienced the jam on Kalyani nagar junction
Old 2nd December 2012, 10:11   #1487
BHPian

Was driving towards a function this morning, passed a few marathon runners on the road.
Yea today is the Pune International Marathon.

No separate lane for marathon runners ! What a pity, this is an international event; the runners are weaving between the traffic !

This picture I took, while sharing the road with a runner.

C'mon,
Us punekars would have easily given the Pune International marathon an individual lane. And that too for a mere 4 hrs. But, the authorities and the cops were thinking different!
Attached Images

Monaro CV8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 19:32   #1488
Senior - BHPian

Breaking News: Massive fire at the airport, in Pune. Anyone travelling that side, expect long jams.
Old 4th December 2012, 20:04   #1489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Breaking News: Massive fire at the airport, in Pune. Anyone travelling that side, expect long jams.
No need to panic. Courtesy NDTV News: There was mild panic at the Pune airport today, after an unannounced firefighting mock drill was held on the airport's tarmac.

The grass near the defence side of the runway was set on fire, and fire engines were then rushed to put it out. Pune's airport is controlled by the military.

The passengers at the airport could see the blaze even from the terminal.

As a part of the drill, boarding for all flights was held up till the blaze was put out.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2012, 11:03   #1490
Senior - BHPian

^I thought it weird that a fire at the airport, wouldnt go unanounced in the media. Found no reports in today's daily too.
Thanks for clarifying that!
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2012, 11:13   #1491
Senior - BHPian

There is a news about this mock drill in today's Maharashtra times. Swanand, read the newspapers carefully j/k
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2012, 12:04   #1492
Senior - BHPian

Some corporator (the-one-who-cannot-be-named) in our area decided to get his son married and how. A new tall building and all the acres of lands around was used for the wedding ceremony. Helicopters were flying in and out with guests. Audis, BMWs, Mercs, Jaguars,etc flying on the bypass at break-neck speeds and taking all wrong turns to enter the wedding venue. Total chaos on the bypass.

I guess whichever ward this corporator belongs to, will see no progress over the next 5 years, since all the ward fund must have been utitlized for this ceremony.

We saw some big shot senior police inspectors (even ACPs maybe) doing the duty of controlling the humongous crowd at the venue. H U G E LCD screens were put up at many places on the road for the people to see how the bride and the groom were being made uncomfortable with the presence of 1/4th of Pune's population. Another set of crowd totally unrelated with the wedding were causing traffic jams as they gathered around these LCD screens trying to figure out WTH is going on.

What a waste of money, time and resources!

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 5th December 2012 at 12:08.
ajay_satpute is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2012, 10:57   #1493
BHPian

There is this particular thing that I have observed ONLY here in Pune. I moved here about a year back, and I have stayed in Bangalore, Chennai and Mysore prior to this, but I haven't come across anything like it.
Ever so often I happen to see HUGE hoardings and banners announcing the "waad-divas" or birthday of one of the local folks. These banners seem to be replete with amply photoshopped images of the guys decked up with a good load of gold chains and rings, hair all oiled and combed back, top button or two opened up for effect, and chest pumped up! Funny thing is, it's a full family-show. Often, the pic of the birthday boy is surrounded by pics of whom I could only assume were his brothers and relatives. Initially i thought that these might be one-off incidents, but they happen very regularly!
Of course, I'm a big fan of the concept of "Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam" and all that yada, but IMHO, this is stretching it a little
Anyone else notice these public endorsements and birthday greetings?
Old 6th December 2012, 11:09   #1494
Senior - BHPian

Avoid crossing the Kalyani Nagar- Shastri Nagar junction after 6 PM on working days.
It is a chaos with bumper to bumper traffic for no apparent reason.
Old 6th December 2012, 20:48   #1495
Senior - BHPian

Traffic jam alert for 07.12.2012 due to VIP & VVIP visits to Balewadi Sports City!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2012, 08:22   #1496
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Traffic jam alert for 07.12.2012 due to VIP & VVIP visits to Balewadi Sports City!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Cheers,
Vikram
I guess this is because of the wedding of a politician's son.
Old 7th December 2012, 10:04   #1497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Didn't this happen last Sunday as well? There were policemen all down Baner Road. On of them said the CM and other "dignitaries" were visiting the Balewadi stadium. Whats happening there?
Old 7th December 2012, 13:02   #1498
Senior - BHPian

According to the internal mailer circulated by our organisation :

Quote:
Police authorities have intimated that there is a mega wedding scheduled to take place in Pune today at the Balewadi stadium from 1830h onwards. The wedding is likely to be attended by a large number of VIP guests who are expected to start arriving from 1730h onwards.

The above event is likely to result in increased traffic on the roads leading to the stadium in the evening today especially the Mumbai – Pune highway & Baner road. Traffic police have intimated that in case there are traffic jams on the highway, they will stop vehicles from taking the right turn (towards Balewadi) or going straight towards Wakad from the signal under the Wakad Flyover from 1730h onwards to ensure smooth movement of vehicles.

DCP Traffic has appealed that people should avoid use of Baner Road and plan to ply on Aundh, Wakad, Pashan-Sus and Paud roads in the evening today from 1730h onwards.
For those who can , it will be a good idea to run home early.

I hope as usual, Pune's celebs are fashionably late for the event and mango people like me can take the 8 PM bus home in peace.
Old 7th December 2012, 14:30   #1499
Senior - BHPian

Just came back from a lunch at Courtyard by Marriot. Throughout the root from Hotel Sadanand till Hinjewadi flyover, saw too many cars parked on the sides. Also, all hotels in the surrounding area, viz. Orchid VITS, Hotel Sadanand, Holiday Inn, and even Courtyard by Marriot were full of guests in traditional attires. Helicopters are flying in and out of Balewadi sport complex.

However, we did not face any hurdle throughout, till Courtyard. May be towards the evening and late nights, the show might get intense at the complex. So better to avoid.
Old 7th December 2012, 15:17   #1500
BHPian

^^
Politician's (PK) son is getting married to a Builder's (AB) daughter at Balewadi Stadium today.

It's going to be a crazy mix of politicos, builders & page 3 people.

Traffic is going to be hugely chaotic from 5.30pm till 10.00pm, in that area. HJW guys, caution.

Most Viewed