Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2013, 09:26   #1591
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
The explanation, and an unfortunate one at that :
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/18622695.cms

I am not for 1 second buying the "Brakes failed" argument. More likely, the driver "Failed to brake". Its high time that road got atleast 3 speed humps are regular intervals.
Ya read all that. Extremely unfortunate, and that too from a school bus driver.

However, I fail to understand one thing Ojas. If the accident happened on the slope from Chandani Chowk to Kothrud Depot side, then why the hell was the traffic on the opposite side got jammed so much?
Old 22nd February 2013, 09:42   #1592
Senior - BHPian

Hypothesis :
The people waiting to turn onto the sloping road couldnt move for sometime because of the bus. Caused a pileup there, resulting in traffic not moving into Bavdhan at all. People going towards Bavdhan/Pirangut side from Wonderfunkey also couldnt do so because of the cascading effect, blocking off those who were joining NH4 (Mumbai side) from Paud Road.
And as you, orderly behaviour is considered unmanly here, so soon it was a free for all everywhere.

EDIT : Ajay , I am assuming your were dropping your kid off to school. Werent you late in that case ?

Last edited by sajo : 22nd February 2013 at 09:46. Reason: Added a point.
Old 22nd February 2013, 09:47   #1593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
If the accident happened on the slope from Chandani Chowk to Kothrud Depot side, then why the hell was the traffic on the opposite side got jammed so much?
Oh, thats easy! Cops arrive, try to look and act busy, overdo it and end up making a bigger mess. Onlookers with morbid fantasies don't help the matter much either.
In Bangalore, it is very regularly observed that when traffic is suddenly jammed where it usually is smooth, there's a cop at the crux of it being incompetent. Thankfully I haven't seen it much in Pune. Atleast not yet.
Old 22nd February 2013, 10:10   #1594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post

EDIT : Ajay , I am assuming your were dropping your kid off to school. Werent you late in that case ?
Luckily, we had cancelled the school plan, otherwise my kid would have started crying/shouting/feeling hungry/thirsty..etc after a while.
Old 22nd February 2013, 11:31   #1595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Do you work at EON? Which cluster? I have seen a couple of TBHP stickered cars around. Dont mind a kind of mini meet in the cluster C/B parking!
Not sure if I work, but I do go there every weekday
We do meet up there regularly. Cluster D. well some are regular and we have some not so regulars. more the merrier!
will send you a PM

Last edited by selfdrive : 22nd February 2013 at 11:33.
Old 22nd February 2013, 11:41   #1596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
I was caught in the grandmother of traffic jams today morning between the Wonder Funkey and Chandani Chowk.
I was also there in the same traffic jam. I thought I am the only one who take that route.
Old 22nd February 2013, 15:01   #1597
Senior - BHPian

The road leading to Chandani Chowk from Paud Rd was jammed, as the traffic headed from Bavdhan to Kothrud was diverted on the so called one way.
Also, there was a truck that had malfunctioned on the north bound bypass, just around the accident spot, hence the traffic on the bypass, too.

Very sad that a youth had to lose his life for no fault of his.
Old 22nd February 2013, 23:28   #1598
Senior - BHPian

Beware of diversions on Nagar Road. Stay away from the median and try driving on the middle of the road. There is construction for BRTS in the center of the road and gas pipeline laying at the edges of the road.

Pune guys around Paud road, I am trying to find out about this institute:

MIT School of Distance Education
S.No.124, Ex-Servicemen Colony, paud Road,
Kothrud, Pune - 411038.
Maharashtra (India).

Has someone done any course with this institute? Is is a fly-by-night kind of institute?

Sorry for off-topic post.
Old 7th March 2013, 20:05   #1599
BHPian

Does anybody know a high placed official in the traffic police? Pune's traffic is decent when it's moving but at the signals people are just hopeless. They literally start 10 seconds before the green and stop 10 seconds after it! One place where i see this happening regularly is the shivaji nagar signal in front of CoEP since i walk to college. Occasionally when i'm riding a friend's vehicle it gets incredibly fustrating.
I can only imagine what people stuck at the signal everyday must be feeling.
If any of you knows somebody please pass on the message since i see the traffic cops chatting away like they're at home.
Old 8th March 2013, 09:55   #1600
BHPian

The one way downslope leading from Chandni Chowk to Paud Road is undergoing massive change. The recent accident is most probably the cause for this fast movement by authorities.

Even noticed that as this road nears the Paud Road, an earlier fencing put up on left side is also removed, giving some additional space for road widening.

In my opinion to make this new road more useful
1. Put up a barricade on left side giving walking space for pedestrians. As it is, the sheer rocky surface of the hills is a disaster waiting to happen if one veers too close to it.
2. With a widened road, put up a divider to allow vehicles wishing to merge to highway to choose that path upfront.

Also seem to recollect reading that in the span of next couple of months, service roads to connect the NDA road to the highway will be carved out. This should reduce the chaos on NDA road significantly.
Also know that the ST pickup point (Mumbai bound) will be shifted further out after the NDA overbridge. The earlier ST bus stop is already demolished. One can expect more vehicles to come wrong side back towards the Paud Rd Chandni Chwk connector after dropping their friends/relatives at the ST stop. If the service road/ramp is built - it might reduce this problem. A stairway from Chandni chowk down to the highway might be a better option.
Old 8th March 2013, 11:20   #1601
Senior - BHPian

Another alternative to minimise the chaos on this junction is to completely block all the traffic coming from Mulshi via Up&Above restaurant to Chandni chowk below. Many times you see people taking this route instead of going down the slope via Paud road and the situation gets worse.
Also, a traffic signal might instill some discipline - for people coming from Paud road below the flyover and for people coming from Warje on the highway.
Old 13th March 2013, 19:42   #1602
Senior - BHPian

Hi Pune BHPians, I need to reach Range hill estate (Khadki) https://maps.google.co.in/maps?hl=en&tab=wl . I will be driving to Pune by car from bangalore (NH4). Please tell me the best (read least traffic) route to take. Google maps shows Pashan rd then Homi Bhaba road. Is it good? I will be entering Pune in the evening 5 -6 pm. Could I take Baner rd. It is longer but how would it be. Thanks in advance
Old 13th March 2013, 20:53   #1603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Hi Pune BHPians, I need to reach Range hill estate (Khadki) https://maps.google.co.in/maps?hl=en&tab=wl . I will be driving to Pune by car from bangalore (NH4). Please tell me the best (read least traffic) route to take. Google maps shows Pashan rd then Homi Bhaba road. Is it good? I will be entering Pune in the evening 5 -6 pm. Could I take Baner rd. It is longer but how would it be. Thanks in advance
Both Baner Road and HomiBhabha (Sus Road) are good option. SInce you are coming from Bangalore, Sus road will come first.
zalaps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 21:45   #1604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Hi Pune BHPians, I need to reach Range hill estate (Khadki)
==
It is longer but how would it be. Thanks in advance
I think Chandni chowk - Pashan road - university circle would best suit you.
swapnilup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2013, 10:55   #1605
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalaps View Post
Both Baner Road and HomiBhabha (Sus Road) are good option. SInce you are coming from Bangalore, Sus road will come first.
Actually you don't need to go all the way to Sus exit. It will be longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapnilup View Post
I think Chandni chowk - Pashan road - university circle would best suit you.
That's the route I would advise too. Take the Chandni Chowk exit (where you see the Banjara Hills/ Up & Above signage) and turn right over the bypass and then continue straight onto Pashan DRDO Road. At 6 pm there will be some traffic on that road but it is quite manageable. Cross the Necklace Garden etc. till you reach Pashan circle then turn right towards University (that is HOmi Bhabha Rd). You will cross NCL and some other educational institutions on that road. When you hit University turn right, stay in left lane (don't take flyover) and turn left onto Range Hills Road.

Most Viewed