Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2011, 11:45   #151
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Not a rant this, for a change!
After getting really caught in traffic earlier in the week, I took the bike (the motor, not the pedaled one) to work yesterday.
I absolutely adored getting drenched, but the best part was when I returned via the riverside road (between PMC and Mhatre bridge). The 'dhol - tasha' practice has begun and there were at least 4 places on this road where the addictive beats could be heard. Practice has also begun at the Garware school ground in the evening.
Perhaps I am happier as I am hearing this after around 4 years

Ganpati bappa morya!

Last edited by selfdrive : 5th August 2011 at 11:46.
selfdrive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2011, 12:01   #152
Senior - BHPian

^Isnt that the only time when, though the roads in Pune are packed (with people and pandals), and we still do not complain! The rhythem of those dhol-tashas are so addictive. For a moment there, the entire world around you just vanishes!
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2011, 12:24   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
^Isnt that the only time when, though the roads in Pune are packed (with people and pandals), and we still do not complain! The rhythem of those dhol-tashas are so addictive. For a moment there, the entire world around you just vanishes!
Yes sir!!
I have fond memories of participating in processions while in school (you will know which one!) and wandering around the dhol tasha brigade with expectations that they would let me hold the dhol/ tasha/ dhwaj for them while they rested or changed hands. Getting to hold it even for a minute was such a thrill!
Unfortunately as I was "sadpaatal baandhaa" (ref. aapan yaana pahilat ka? news bulletin on DD) I was never recruited as a full time dhol/ tasha player :(
Edit: sorry for being OT, the topic is near to the heart so got carried away a bit in the flow!

I remember a few years ago, some people even complained of pandals digging holes in roads for the bamboo poles!

Last edited by selfdrive : 5th August 2011 at 12:26.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2011, 12:42   #154
Senior - BHPian

Road digging has reduced, and I guess is now against the directive of the PMC too. Action can be taken against those mandals which do. Sand filled drums are used for the smaller pandals.
Old 5th August 2011, 13:01   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Unfortunately as I was "sadpaatal baandhaa" (ref. aapan yaana pahilat ka? news bulletin on DD) I was never recruited as a full time dhol/ tasha player :(
Edit: sorry for being OT, the topic is near to the heart so got carried away a bit in the flow!
Continuing offtopic - every year when i see the Dhol/Taasha mandal playing at the procession i feel like i should also join them. I make up my mind that i am going to join one of these Mandals and would be part of the procession next year. Sadly it has not materialized for two reasons - one i don't know whom to approach and two - looking for some newbie company to accompany me. SD are you game for next year.
Old 5th August 2011, 13:05   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Sadly it has not materialized for two reasons - one i don't know whom to approach and two - looking for some newbie company to accompany me. SD are you game for next year.
Sure, why not! Lets try to test the waters this year itself. I am not saying we will get lucky at the first attempt, but at least there will be some foundation to build upon next year.
I will try to find out if any foothold can be found
Old 5th August 2011, 13:10   #157
Senior - BHPian

Further OT, you guys can just show up at the Shivgarjana practice and tell them you need to join.

PS : Better take this up in the Pune meets thread. Mods are not going to take kindly to this.
Old 9th August 2011, 10:51   #158
Senior - BHPian

I dont think this one is a rant and it isnt a route query either. Maybe its an assorted query as curiosity has killed the cat and its soul is now haunting a few!

Just inside the perimeter of the Kirloskar factory in Mayur Colony (near Mrityunjeshwar temple) there is a display which shows the time. While most of us have mobiles/ watches and a general idea of the time (though we dont keep to it) I can still understand when IST is shown. What could be the reason for them to display GMT (London time)? Does anyone know why?

Do they think anxious people will come there and consult their display before calling their relatives/ friends in the UK? It is one of those niggling issues which really does not affect me until I see it, but then it wont leave the back of my head. Similar to an itch or flea on the back that a dog cannot reach.
Old 9th August 2011, 10:58   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
. What could be the reason for them to display GMT (London time)? Does anyone know why?
Maybe a relic from the Corrupt Youth Games from 2008 ?

I have a query too. The area in front of City Pride Kothrud , can see a lot of random "no parking" boards there. How legal are they ? Because I still see hundreds (so to say..) of cars parked there, on weekends. Is it a nexus between the pay and park contractor of the commercial establishments there and the cops ?
I dont see any other reason, because the road still retains ample carriage width if you park parallelly.
Old 9th August 2011, 11:01   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just inside the perimeter of the Kirloskar factory in Mayur Colony (near Mrityunjeshwar temple) there is a display which shows the time. While most of us have mobiles/ watches and a general idea of the time (though we dont keep to it) I can still understand when IST is shown. What could be the reason for them to display GMT (London time)? Does anyone know why?
Just to increase general knowledge of folks and to enable IT folks to dial in at the correct time when they are stuck in traffic at that junction.
People working or connected to the global timeclock would know the time of different regions. But there would be many folks who might not be aware of it and i guess GMT is being displayed only as a reference point.

For that matter they even show the temperature. Now nobody is going to check the temperature and decide that they need sweaters today or need to go out in T-Shirts. But still it is being shown.
Old 9th August 2011, 11:16   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
I have a query too. The area in front of City Pride Kothrud , can see a lot of random "no parking" boards there. How legal are they ? Because I still see hundreds (so to say..) of cars parked there, on weekends. Is it a nexus between the pay and park contractor of the commercial establishments there and the cops ?
I dont see any other reason, because the road still retains ample carriage width if you park parallelly.
Bang on target, I smell a rat everytime I pass that area. On weekend mornings there is a tow truck picking up random bikes from that area. It does seem to be generating business for the tow truck guys who IMHO should be doing their work elsewhere on Karve road.

There is enough carriagewidth on that road for 4 wheeler parking on one side and 2 wheeler parking on the other side. Anyway, the passing traffic (not going to City Pride or Big Bazaar) is restricted mainly to 2 wheelers as the road connecting to Konkan Express/ Kothrud stand is allowed only for 2 wheelers. Other than the residents of a few apartment buildings surther down that road

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
For that matter they even show the temperature. Now nobody is going to check the temperature and decide that they need sweaters today or need to go out in T-Shirts. But still it is being shown.
Well perhaps temperature can be a topic for discussion; people could talk about how hot/ cold it is. I agree its not so useful either
What would be the discussion around GMT, that the Queen must be having her tea now?!

Last edited by selfdrive : 9th August 2011 at 11:19.
Old 9th August 2011, 11:45   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Well perhaps temperature can be a topic for discussion; people could talk about how hot/ cold it is. I agree its not so useful either
What would be the discussion around GMT, that the Queen must be having her tea now?!
Well not for any discussion. Only information. And by the way i passed that road just now and saw Dubai time along with India time being displayed. So i guess we need to discuss what the Sheikh is doing in Dubai???
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2011, 12:57   #163
Senior - BHPian

/Rant

The entire stretch from Karishma chowk to City Pride Kothrud is a mess. Thanks to those CADB folks, the vehicles are parked in such a way, that there is hardly any place to drive.

Another road that I have tremendous problems with is, the one near my house. Teh road that has the Jog school and those maths/science classes. That entire road has barely any space to park. The lane next to HDFC bank is no parking. Why? Because some MLA lives there, and considers parked vehicles a threat to his life! With the two wheelers going to those classes, occupying all the space, there is no place to drive, forget parking.

/End Rant
Old 9th August 2011, 13:07   #164
Senior - BHPian

^^ hehe, I used to attend one of those "maths science" classes , about 10 years ago, and the situation, if at all, has gone worse. No wonder we were reprimanded by the "locals" time again for standing in groups (on our vehicles) and whiling away the time there. Atleast there was no HDFC bank then to complicate the matters.
Old 9th August 2011, 13:15   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
/Rant
Another road that I have tremendous problems with is, the one near my house. The road that has the Jog school and those maths/science classes.
ooh, you picked on a sore wound Swanand! That road is bad around noon when the kids leave school. Probably worst at night as it is very poorly lit too. The parallel road (Club Solaris) is so better lit and paved than this one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks