Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2013, 09:36   #1651
Distinguished - BHPian

Parking at the main railway station on weekends is a pathetic situation. It is a total mess with hardly any available parking space, and if there are a few available spots, you have these fellas who come and tell you that you need to hand over the keys and let them park! A-la-valet-service.

And like me, if you choose NOT to hand over your keys to a nobody, the exit is the only option available to you.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 30th June 2013 at 09:37.
Old 30th June 2013, 10:21   #1652
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Pimple Saudgar to Rahatani was a very good , smooth and wide road.

Now it is choc a bloc after Shivar chowk thanks to BRTS lane.
Also Kalewadi Phata is a nightmare during evening due to flyover work and BRTS on Kalewadi stretch.

For a bus frequency ( On these routes ) which is as low as 1 bus per 30mins/45mins, all other road users are getting punished.

Also i dont understand how effective the Dange chowk flyover would be.
It should have been from Pimpri side to bumkar chowk side , since this is the way hinjewadi traffic flows.

With onset of rains, parking for 4 wheelers in DLF is a big pain ( Forget about getting a parking place inside , i am talking about parking on road outside DLF)
Old 1st July 2013, 12:33   #1653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Parking at the main railway station on weekends is a pathetic situation. It is a total mess with hardly any available parking space, and if there are a few available spots, you have these fellas who come and tell you that you need to hand over the keys and let them park! A-la-valet-service.

And like me, if you choose NOT to hand over your keys to a nobody, the exit is the only option available to you.
Absolutely. On one occasion I had to pick up my grandparents & as time was short was left with no choice & after some heart in mouth moment where I was looking for my car. I was able to spot the same. Initially I suspected that they had taken the car for a spin but then cross cheked the same, it was not the case. The case was that they had kept the engine running & had been sitting in the enjoying the A/c

That was the last time I have taken my personal car to the station. I am OK paying more by hiring a cab rather than taking a chance again.
Old 2nd July 2013, 10:19   #1654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Where is Nagar road broad? In Ahmednagar?!
Its been a royal mess with all the BRTS segregation going on and I have no idea why this season is chosen for all this work.
Even worse is to have BRTS lanes on the Sangamwadi road, totally defeats common sense.
Well, Nagar road is still broad at most places (except some places where BRTS lane is quite wide.) I am comparing this with other parts in the city where the width of the roads is really less for the traffic that goes through it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkaul1 View Post
Absolutely. On one occasion I had to pick up my grandparents & as time was short
Had a similar situation once. Went out of the exit and came back in and found parking this time. After that I decided that either we take the two wheeler or we leave quite early so that we wait and find parking.
I agree that parking space is very less for the size of the city.

Someone mentioned all trains are going to depart from Hadapsar. If that happens then this problem will be solved somewhat.

BTW: What is the general time required to reach Hinjewadi Phase 2 from Talegaon during morning and return back during evening office hours? Is daily commute by car feasible?
Old 2nd July 2013, 15:22   #1655
Senior - BHPian

So have you guys parked at the new parking on the other side of the station ? There is foot underpass which can be used to walk to the platform.
Is it manned by the same bunch of thugs who are at the main station parking ?
Old 5th July 2013, 06:20   #1656
Team-BHP Support

I have barely had a need to park at the railway station. My relatives take a train that reaches Pune at 4:00 am. So I wait until they reach the main driveway, load luggage and drive out. On one such occasion, a thug as sajo describes them was waiting at the exit of the driveway to fleece unsuspecting people. I was quick to spot that and the moment he stopped in front of my car I rolled down the window and said I was from the Indian air force. Usually they don't mess around with armed forces personnel. Having stickers from the IAF lying around the dashboard must have helped. Didn't give him a chance to speak, revved the engine and left.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2013, 09:23   #1657
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
So have you guys parked at the new parking on the other side of the station ? There is foot underpass which can be used to walk to the platform.
Is it manned by the same bunch of thugs who are at the main station parking ?
I found that parking too filled to the brim on Sunday. Didn't enter the lot so I am not sure if it was the same bunch who is manning that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I have barely had a need to park at the railway station. My relatives take a train that reaches Pune at 4:00 am. So I wait until they reach the main driveway, load luggage and drive out. On one such occasion, a thug as sajo describes them was waiting at the exit of the driveway to fleece unsuspecting people.
Yup, similar approach being used by me (now). I drop them/pick them under the overpass just adjacent to the Le Meridian hotel.

But it doesn't serve the purpose when you are dropping off people, especially someone whom you need to send off at the platform. Which I'm going to have to do today. And no way am I going to handover my car keys to these thugs.
Old 5th July 2013, 14:22   #1658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Which I'm going to have to do today. And no way am I going to handover my car keys to these thugs.
Also, these thugs overcharge people. The parking charges are Rs. 10 for 4 hrs. But they demand Rs. 20. What they do is they write MH12 on the part where Rs. 10 is printed on the receipt and tell the customer it is Rs. 20 written. Last time I argued, give me a receipt where the amount is visible, and I'll pay that much amount. He argued with me for quite some time, to the extent, telling me that don't park here next time.

The other side (Le Meridian) parking is smaller and the ticket window (for platform tickets) is not available all the time.
Old 8th July 2013, 11:00   #1659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
The other side (Le Meridian) parking is smaller and the ticket window (for platform tickets) is not available all the time.
I have never parked at the Le Meridan side (in the parking inside), but I have purchased platform ticket during evening time from the counter on that side.

Sorry, cannot recollect the timings for the counter.
Old 9th July 2013, 11:14   #1660
Senior - BHPian

A colleague's sister in her 20s got 'flashed' in the lanes near JM Road. She was waiting for someone at 8 in night, when an unknown person in formals who was lingering around approached her and flashed his male parts to her. Didn't do anything further, just ran away while looking at her. She happened to stand at a blind spot, and persons around her were hardly 10 feet away, yet behind a wall or around a corner.

Please inform your loved ones not to wait/stand where no one else can see them. Also be ready to let out a shout or a cry when needed.

Not a post related to traffic, but I feel it is worth sharing.
Old 16th July 2013, 09:10   #1661
Senior - BHPian

There is a massive buildup of traffic on the stretch from chandani chowk upto crystal Honda , for no apparent reason. People may want to take the bavdhan route and join at Praj.
(I am stuck in it for about 30+ mins in it now).
Old 16th July 2013, 09:42   #1662
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
There is a massive buildup of traffic on the stretch from chandani chowk upto crystal Honda , for no apparent reason. People may want to take the bavdhan route and join at Praj.
(I am stuck in it for about 30+ mins in it now).
The Bavdhan route is equally messed up. I am taking the royal route today, Karve Road-Law College Road-Sb road-Baner road.
Old 21st July 2013, 20:55   #1663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post

Also i dont understand how effective the Dange chowk flyover would be.
It should have been from Pimpri side to bumkar chowk side , since this is the way hinjewadi traffic flows.

With onset of rains, parking for 4 wheelers in DLF is a big pain ( Forget about getting a parking place inside , i am talking about parking on road outside DLF)
That flyover is meant for the BRT buses running on the Aundh-Ravet route.
I agree with the parking problems in DLF now Quadron.
The local goons around the 'tapri' nearby threaten to puncture the vehicles if they find even minor inconvenience for their tankers and other similar vehicles, while they are free to park their vehicles wherever they feel like parking.
Quadron guards ask to talk to our company admin for allotting more parking lots.
Old 31st July 2013, 10:39   #1664
Senior - BHPian

Have you guys seen this video ?

Police high-handedness or ? Whatever the case , the guy hit a policeman and probably paid a hefty price for it.

From his dressing and the tone of the language he was using, he seemed to be a well-educated person from a decent background.
From the background chatter, it can be gleaned that the incident took place somewhere near the Mumbai-Pune highway.
Old 31st July 2013, 12:41   #1665
Senior - BHPian

So Punekars, how has been the pot-holed journey so far? Its been terrible for me. The route from Warje flyover to Chandani chowk is screwed up like hell. For the < 3 KMs distance, it takes about 20 minutes to 1.5 hrs daily. And the amazing craters near the Wonder-Funkey area are killers, for the vehicles, for the traffic and most importantly, your health. I have not experienced any back pain yet, but the Orthopaedic surgeons and motor garages are doing brisk business these days.

There are two more options for me. Going by the Dahanukar Colony-Kumar Parisar-Paud Road-Chandani Chowk route, but during peak hours, the Kothrud Depot junction gets really messed up. And the last and the worst option is, Karve Road-Law College Road-SB Road-Baner Road, which is unimaginable.

Like my favorite RJ Sangram says, a horse is the best way to commute during rains.

Most Viewed