Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2014, 15:09   #1741
BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Its been just 4 days that I have been driving from Kothrud to Kharadi, via the -FC Road->Sangamwadi Bridge->Nagar Road route. My travel time is around 8 in the morning and 5-5:15 PM in the evening.

During my morning travel, I have observed that 99.99% of the people do not obey any kind of traffic rule, except at the major junctions (Sancheti, Yerawada, KP). So many times it happens that I am the only person (Moron is what most people must be thinking while passing by me) waiting at red signals.

Total sad state of affairs I say.
Sad but true state of affairs. Any reason why you dont take a slightly different (but lot quicker) route? You could try this - Kothrud- Law College Road - University Circle - Range Hills Road (take the turn from Invitation hotel)- under the track - Military Cemetery - Sappers - left after sappers - Right onto the IBM Daksh wala road - shastri nagar - Nagar road. The route is slightly longer but will save you a lot of time. If you stay near paud road - then Kothrud - Pashan Link road - University.
torquecurve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 15:18   #1742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Sad but true state of affairs. Any reason why you dont take a slightly different (but lot quicker) route? You could try this - Kothrud- Law College Road - University Circle - Range Hills Road (take the turn from Invitation hotel)- under the track - Military Cemetery - Sappers - left after sappers - Right onto the IBM Daksh wala road - shastri nagar - Nagar road. The route is slightly longer but will save you a lot of time. If you stay near paud road - then Kothrud - Pashan Link road - University.
like minded t-bhpians think alike. Just a few minutes back sent a private message to ajay asking him why he doesnt follow the above mentioned route
mm403 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 15:23   #1743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You could try this - Kothrud- Law College Road - University Circle - Range Hills Road (take the turn from Invitation hotel)- under the track - Military Cemetery - Sappers - left after sappers - Right onto the IBM Daksh wala road - shastri nagar - Nagar road. The route is slightly longer but will save you a lot of time. If you stay near paud road - then Kothrud - Pashan Link road - University.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm403 View Post
like minded t-bhpians think alike. Just a few minutes back sent a private message to ajay asking him why he doesnt follow the above mentioned route
Thank you guys. I will try this route now.
Old 6th March 2014, 15:31   #1744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kothrud- Law College Road - University Circle - Range Hills Road (take the turn from Invitation hotel)- under the track - Military Cemetery - Sappers - left after sappers - Right onto the IBM Daksh wala road - shastri nagar - Nagar road. The route is slightly longer but will save you a lot of time. If you stay near paud road - then Kothrud - Pashan Link road - University.
Do you mean taking the Sangamwadi bridge? Or something different? A google map will be very helpful, if you can post it.
Old 6th March 2014, 18:23   #1745
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Manish and torquecurve, the route is very good. I reached home in flat 45 minutes.
Old 6th March 2014, 18:29   #1746
BHPian

While coming to office today from Wakad side(towards Hinjewadi - Phase II), around 12PM, saw the road being laid on the opposite side, i.e the slope from the Hinjewadi chowk towards Wakad flyover. Not sure how much of it they would have completed by evening, which might add to the existing traffic!
Old 17th March 2014, 10:32   #1747
Senior - BHPian

One more spat with an auto-riksha driver.

I was near the Kachara(garbage) depot on Saturday afternoon. My daughter wanted to drink water, so I pulled the car to the left with the engine running. I saw a huge queue of auto rikshas waiting for the CNG/LPG pump. I was busy talking with my daughter and when I looked in front, I was trapped in between 3 autos. I honked for a while, really loudly, but no body moved.

I stepped and requested the auto driver in front of me to move his auto a bit ahead, so that I can move. He did not even look at me. So I again asked him the question, and he says "Its your fault. Why did you park here? Dont you know this is the queue for autos?" I said "I was not aware. Now can you move your auto." He rejected. I lost my patience.

I called up 100 and got redirected to Kothrud police station. I told the constable on the phone that "I am being harassed by an auto driver near Kachara depot gate and I am with my 5 year old daughter. Can you please help?"

In less than 5 minutes or so, the marshals on 2 wheelers reached the spot, gave a super spanking to the auto guy, all the autos moved out of my way and I thanked the cops from the bottom of my heart and left the scene.

Bottom line is that do NOT park your vehicle on that whole stretch adjacent to the garbage depot until the filling station at the junction.

Cheers !

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 17th March 2014 at 10:33.
ajay_satpute is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th March 2014, 10:12   #1748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sad but true state of affairs. Any reason why you dont take a slightly different (but lot quicker) route?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm403 View Post
That route is quicker on the return journey. In the mornings Karve road - FC road - rail underpass - Sangamwadi is quicker. Sancheti route is also ok. Believe it or not, the quickest route (I leave at 730am) in the morning is Karve road - FC road - Sancheti underpass - Sessions court - left at Juna bazaar - rail underpass - RTO - Wadia college - right turn - KP - Mundhwa - Kharadi. I have timed that run at 33 minutes in my nano. No overspeeding or signal disobedience. Low stress too!
On the return path, the Bombay sappers route is the best, no two ways about it. COEP bridge is a nightmare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Bottom line is that do NOT park your vehicle on that whole stretch adjacent to the garbage depot until the filling station at the junction.
Feel free to park there, but not parallel park. I have parked diagonally. They have to wait for a long time anyway.
I have noticed that auto guys get into arguments with me when I am inmy jazz. if I am in my nano and if I am also at fault, they dont argue much. Not sure why.
The cops are really helpful in a lot of cases. I have called for them more than a couple of times and the issues have been resolved for good. Same police station you talked about
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 19:03   #1749
Distinguished - BHPian

Had an interesting start to the day today.

On the way to office, my bike ran out of petrol near Holkar bridge. The nearest petrol pump was in Khadki, a good 3-4 kms away. Then this gentleman, an army person stops by and inquires about the problem. On knowing the answer, he whips out a small bottle (some 200ml), gets petrol from his bike and gives it to me. With a nod and he's back on his route, while I stand stuttering my thanks to him!

If he's reading this, Thank you sir! You made my day completely! Saved me atleast 20 mins of trudging in the heat, not to talk about reaching office extremely late!

I then drive to the pump and get in line for petrol. Then the attendant plays all the tricks in the book to hoodwink me. I clearly give him 300Rs first and ask him to fill petrol. Right then another guy starts pestering me for PUC, while he trys to start filling with the counter at 100 Rs. At the same time, a third guy also 'advises' me to give 30Rs more to get a round figure(?) - all primarily trying to make me not pay attention. When will they ever stop doing this I wonder.

As I said, an interesting start to the day indeed!
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2014, 17:33   #1750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I clearly give him 300Rs first and ask him to fill petrol. Right then another guy starts pestering me for PUC, while he trys to start filling with the counter at 100 Rs.
You probably know this already, but:
1. Open the fuel tank only when you see the counter is set to zero. Keep your hand on the lid ready to close it if the counter jumps to 100 suddenly.
2. Never hand money till the filling process is done
3. Keep staring at the counter and dont look at anyone else. they will know within a few seconds not to pull any stunts
Old 12th April 2014, 18:47   #1751
Senior - BHPian

Nominee for the next bravery awards

On Thursday evening on Karve Road at peak traffic time, I saw this idiot riding his Hero Honda Splendour. He had kept is smart (?) phone on the fuel tank and was typing SMS while riding. He was riding right in the middle of the road blocking both lanes. After I and everyone honked repeatedly, he moved to the side lane, but still continued his brave act.

Besides this non-sense, I have to mention one thing. Everyday during my daily commute, I see at least one super maniac driving his vehicle at break-neck speeds, be it a Scorpio, a Vista, a Accord, a Alto. What is the bloody need to drive so carelessly and putting everyone's lives at risk! Sad state of affairs.
Old 12th April 2014, 21:14   #1752
BHPian

Yesterday evening came across a horrific scene. While coming from office from Chakan area, saw a tempo traveller which was set fire by a mob on the bridge which is connecting Talawade and Chakan. A person who was standing nearby said that this tempo traveller hit a two wheeler guy who was coming opposite and the two wheeler driver killed on the spot. It is a four lane road with divider, I am sure that that two wheeler guy was at fault.

But the mob delivered the justice by burning the tempo travaller..
Old 26th April 2014, 11:03   #1753
Distinguished - BHPian

Any inputs on where I can procure this? I know this will be available from any cane furniture shop, but I'd like suggestions from people who have had prior experience.

Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-1.jpg
Disclaimer - picture picked up from fb, all rights with the owner

Also on a similar page, any pointers where I can source a wooden khatiya (the dhaba style)? Can't seem to find any inputs, online or offline!
Old 26th April 2014, 11:33   #1754
BHPian

Quote:
Any inputs on where I can procure this? I know this will be available from any cane furniture shop, but I'd like suggestions from people who have had prior experience.
There were two three guys selling similar stuffs on road side (At Wakdewadi). Not remembering the location exactly. It was between Range Hills signal and SBI RACPC Branch (when we travel from Pune). Another guy was selling similar things in Chichwad,near Sterling Honda Showroom.

Not sure about the prices or quality..:-(
Old 26th April 2014, 13:59   #1755
BHPian

Quote:
Whatever you do, do not buy from the cane furniture shops on Bhandarkar Road. I have had bad experiences with them twice. They are expensive and careless. Try the cane furniture shop on Baner road. The owner seemed honest and straight forward to me.

After trying it all, I decided to choose this alternative:

Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-img_2528.jpg

I got this made from a fabrication shop close to my house. It is much larger and durable than what is available in malls. Total cost: Rs.13500/- including antique-gold paint.

Unlike cane one, this can be moved around anywhere in the house, requires no maintenance/polishing, is more durable, and seats 2 adults.
If you go for the regular design, size and paint, it should be well under 10k.

A good quality cane jhula can range from 5k to 9k
I hope this helps.

Most Viewed