Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2014, 21:44   #1816
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Any particular reasons the I series MH 12 I_ XXXX has been left out for Pune?

Till recently the MH 12 H_ XXXX series was getting used, and immediately the current series in use is MH 12 J_ XXXX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Come to think of it, is the "I" series used anywhere in India? Maybe its because it causes confusion by looking like "1", so is intentionally omitted.

Cheers,
Rahul
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Man, dont talk about it.

For my wife's new Spark, we had planned the purchase well in advance so we get the number we desire. So we had asked for MH-12 IS 6409 number, since IS is our daughter's initials and 6409 is her birthdate. But, without giving any genuine reason, the request was denied by RTO. And finally, we got a JC series number.

Don't understand, where did all those 9999 x 26 numbers go?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
MH 12 PA is a very valid number. Even for the period.

In the mid 90's , RTO was seemingly confused about which character, first or the second, to be their "fixed" character.
Hence the double digit series for cars started with MH 12 CA , "A" being the fixed character. When this series got exhausted circa '96 (97?) , a new series MH 12 PA was started. This is for four wheelers.
Right at the turn of the century though , RTO did a volte face , and decided the first character needed to be fixed.
Hence the one of the first four wheeler series was MH 12 AF , followed by MH 12 AN/AX etc.
MH 12 AH series was exclusively for police vehicle registration.
I think the MH 12 B_ was reserved for commercial vehicles, but I may be wrong here.
The series skipped directly to MH 12 C_ , by around 2003/04.
Interestingly, they skipped MH 12 CA etc , because it was already used up 7-8 years ago , and moved on to MH 12 CD .
Shortly after that I started working and like a true professional, my mind switched off and everything is fuzzy , so I dont remember anything about anything.
I know I'm replying late. Very late indeed. but, as they say, Better late, than never! Some degree of clarity is needed, so as to understand the rather eccentric Pune RTO.

A] The MH12I--Series. In circa 2012, the last series in the H series was MH12HZ, following which we had MH12JC. The only reason why so many numbers were omitted (9999*26) is- I appears to be too similar to the numerical 1.

Now, don't ask me how to explain the MHI series (Pune. Circa 1971-72). I agree that I is very similar to 1.

BUT- another thing I've observed is that there is no MHI with a three digit number surviving. The same goes for MHI-1XXX. The first MHI, in sequential order, surviving is MHI/2XXX, a 1968 Yamaha, owned by a BHPian.

Perhaps MHI/1-1999 weren't issued.

And let me predict one thing- MH12O_XXXX will not be issued due to obvious reasons. Similarity to zero.

MH12AH & MH12RR are police series.

B] The MH12B_XXXX series- Well, whatever has been stated is incorrect. The MH12BA series consists largely of earthmovers & cranes, that's what I've seen. And reregistered vehicles as well. Like MH12EB. The DS Series also has a large number of reregistered cars. Previously, in the Pune RTO, earthmovers and cranes were accomodated in the private series. In the MTJ series (Pune. 1972-1977), this is evident. MTJ 1010 is a Dodge, MTJ 4150 is a Fiat 1100, and yet MTJ 9000 is a crane from the 'Fifties.

The MH12BB series was perhaps not issued. Perhaps for two wheelers (?). BF was for two wheelers. BG was for cars, BP, BV were also for cars. MH12BV something was a WagonR F10D in yellow, July 2003. A car that I was about to buy.

The immediate next series, MH12CD came sometime in November 2003. MH12CC was a two wheeler series, around the same time. CC5494 is our Honda Dio (one of the earliest examples). The registration date is 25 January 2004.

C] Registration series during the 'Nineties- MH12BA- As said before. CA was private, upto 1997. FA was commercial. JA was private.PA was again, private. QA & RA were commercial. SA, TA, VA,XA, ZA were two wheelers.

UA, WA (?) were again commercial.

Last edited by FINTAIL : 22nd December 2014 at 21:47.
Old 23rd December 2014, 09:49   #1817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post

UA, WA (?) were again commercial.
MH12 WA XXXX is not commercial. It was for two wheelers. I own a hero honda street carrying WA series registration. That was purchased in 1998.
CANPUSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2014, 10:30   #1818
BHPian

MH-12 BA XXXX is also two wheelers. My Hero Honda CD 100 SS bought in 1995 had this series.
athanedar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 11:18   #1819
Senior - BHPian

This happened at the petrol pump opposite McD/Jaihind on Karve road.

This petrol pump, just like few pumps in the city, has a Ladies-only queue. I was waiting for my turn in the parallel filling station to this queue. There were two girls already waiting behind a lady for their turn.

This "hero" drives in on his TVS Apache (like if its a 15 lakhs Hog). First starts asking the petrol attendant to let him fill petrol in the ladies-only queue, with a very broad "shameless" smile. Petrol attendant does not budge to his tactics. The "hero" slowly starts getting annoyed at the attendant and raises his voice. The attendant is silent and cold like ice. Now this "hero" starts abusing the attendant. This abusing and annoying is more due to the reason that all the ladies in the queue are now smiling at this shameless person and the embarrassment he is drawing to himself with his lame act.

Finally, the "hero" drives to the general queue, which has now 10 more 2 wheelers than there were, when he arrived at the pump. Even after joining that queue, he is turning back and swearing at the attendant for not letting him fill petrol. "Ek gaadi se tera kya jata be !@#$%^&...etc".

Total respect for the attendant. He did not move an inch nor did he react to this moron.
ajay_satpute is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 4th February 2015, 19:25   #1820
BHPian

I do not know why or by what logic, people here (including cops) consider it absolutely OK to drive/ride on the wrong side of the road.

Earlier, they used to cite small distance excuse (busss waha tak jana hai) - guy can buy a 2 lakh vehicle but cannot afford 20 bucks for the fuel.

Now, these nitwits look at you as if you have invaded their privacy and right of freedom.

Total Frustrati !
sandip is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2015, 11:15   #1821
BHPian

This is a rant on Sinhagad Road. I stay at Dhayari and travel from there to my office in Erandwane to and fro daily. Now the total distance works out to a mere 7km one way.

The other office that I have to travel to (albeit infrequently) is located in Hinjewadi Phase 1. The total distance, one way, comes out to some 27km. Inspite of the huge gap in distance between these two, I take almost the same time for travelling from home to office in either location.

The whole Sinhagad road itself has become a huge bottleneck for commuters from Dhayari and beyond. Every few metres there is a signal and resulting bottleneck. Add to that the shared rickshaws occupying the left lane, the slow two wheelers who wish to turn into a right lane driving in the middle of the right lane, buses darting between the left and extreme left and the race to occupy the first position at each signal and its total chaos.

Come a little ahead to Dhayari junction and one can see that the fly over has not reduced the jam at the junction one bit. It has only benefited those travelling towards Nanded city. The multitude of share-rickshaws blocking the turn into Dhayari road and absence of any traffic police leads to daily traffic jams and the distance of 1-2 km takes around 20 mins to travel.
luvDriving is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2015, 11:27   #1822
Senior - BHPian

I stay at Dhanori and work at Commerzone, Yerawada. The only problem I face is at Vishrantwadi ,though nothing much to complain. Coming form 60Km treacherous commute I did for 4 years when I was in Mumbai (Andheri-Airoli-Andheri) this 12 Km commute is like a peace of cake for me.
Old 10th February 2015, 10:10   #1823
Senior - BHPian

That was close !!!

Yesterday morning while driving to office, one lady riding her Activa with her small son as pillion, skidded in front of me. This happened at the busy junction of Paud phata from Karve road side, where Karve Road and Paud Road join. There were 1000s of people at this junction, which is normal.

It was an extremely close and a very lucky escape for me. The lady skidded and fell right in front of my car. I braked really hard and stopped at a distance of probably less than a foot. I had my heart in my mouth, thinking that if my car touches that woman even slightly, i am dead. People around me are going to thrash me to pieces.

Luckily, the lady immediately got up and ran for her kid. The kid was also fine and the people told me to go as nothing critical had happened. When I started moving, I realized one biker had banged from rear, not his fault actually as I braked really hard and suddenly. His Splendour bike's handle had got stuck under my car. So I got down in the middle of the junction, helped him pull the bike out and then left.

Before leaving I asked the lady if she needed any help, but she said she was fine. I dont believe in luck much, but probably I was lucky yesterday.

Vista's non-ABS brakes have never failed me in the 65000 KMs running. There were 3-4 such situations and the car has stopped immaculately.

I felt like I was borne again and it was a new day, in Brian Adams' words "Its a new day, its a new start."
ajay_satpute is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 10:11   #1824
BHPian

I was driving to office this morning on Sinhagad road around 09.00 AM and saw an incident of road rage.

I was in the right lane adjoining the divider and while other lanes were moving, my lane stopped suddenly. Upon moving forward a little, I saw a maruti Alto standing in the right lane. What I saw next was shocking and disturbing.

A young lad got off from his motorcycle on the left side of this Alto and started pulling the left door of car (next to the driver). It opened and then he started pulling out the gentleman sitting there, shouting obscenities all the time.

When that person did not budge, he released that guy, banged the door and started kicking it from outside. He got good 3-4 strong kicks before the Alto driver managed to pull away. All this while, there was no aggression from the car driver or its occupants.

Now I was about 3 cars behind and I could not see whether the driver was a lady or who else was inside the car but assuming that it was a family since there was no action from them. I was about to get out of the car to stop it when the Alto pulled away.

I do not know what caused this incident and who was at fault (the biker clearly crossed all limits with this behaviour but no idea what caused him to do it). What was shocking and depressing was that no one from all the crowd came to the alto's help or even tried to pacify the biker. Indeed a very depressing sight of increasing rage and decreasing civic sense / humanity on the roads these days.
Old 18th February 2015, 11:53   #1825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
A young lad got off from his motorcycle on the left side of this Alto and started pulling the left door of car (next to the driver). It opened and then he started pulling out the gentleman sitting there, shouting obscenities all the time.
You can never expect what to happen. I always ensure my doors are locked. I never open the windows. Apart from that a can of pepper spray and a cricket bat for very extreme cases .
Old 18th February 2015, 13:02   #1826
BHPian

Quote:
I do not know what caused this incident and who was at fault (the biker clearly crossed all limits with this behaviour but no idea what caused him to do it). What was shocking and depressing was that no one from all the crowd came to the alto's help or even tried to pacify the biker. Indeed a very depressing sight of increasing rage and decreasing civic sense / humanity on the roads these days.
Unfortunately, this is a common scene on Pune roads and most of the incidents are either between Car and Bike or Car and Auto. Completely agree that there is a serious decrease in civic sense and patience of the public on the road. Without any offence, the situation gets worse once the car driver speaks in Hindi or any other non-Marathi language.

Best is to roll up the window, increase the volume and leave the site immediately.
Old 18th February 2015, 13:50   #1827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was driving to office this morning on Sinhagad road around 09.00 AM and saw an incident of road rage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
You can never expect what to happen. I always ensure my doors are locked. I never open the windows. Apart from that a can of pepper spray and a cricket bat for very extreme cases .
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyth78 View Post
Best is to roll up the window, increase the volume and leave the site immediately.
Keep calm- Guys!

Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-byf.png
FINTAIL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 13:56   #1828
BHPian

Hahaha - thanks for the comic relief fintail.

I am also of the opinion that by and by it is the driver following rules, showing courtesy and generally being a good driver which attracts the rage and impatience of the large population who just want to be the first in line at the next signal
Old 18th February 2015, 14:36   #1829
BHPian

@fintail

Good one. This gonna be my car bumper sticker very soon

On a separate note, as they said "Keep Cool and you will command everyone"

Cheers!

Amyth78
Old 20th February 2015, 17:41   #1830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
Keep calm- Guys!
Hahaha! This is Epic! Sums it up perfectly.

Since I started driving, Punekars are notorious for bad driving. Must be something in the air or water. Nowadays I just dont care. I know I follow rules, if the other guy is hell bent on doing something stupid, it's his funeral. As for me, I am busy enjoying my Pink Floyd.
RedTerrano is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks