Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2016, 14:01   #1876
BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Given the chaos and lack of well thought out roads, any vehicle with more than two wheels should be banned in Pune! (if you happen to be on a two wheeler in the underpass at Wakdewadi, and you see a nonchalant SUV coming at you, you'll understand what I am trying to say)
I have used Wakadewadi underpass a number of times and I can vouch for what you said. But I guess, that underpass is only for 2 & 3 wheelers. Are 4 wheelers allowed in that underpass or only during specific hours of the day?
Old 5th July 2016, 19:03   #1877
Senior - BHPian

Since this week, I have started checking for traffic update on Google maps for my office to home commute.
I avoid travel between 6 and 8:30 PM, since it is a horrible mess on Nagar Road.

I completely agree that the city cannot cope up anymore - this is exactly the situation which was there in Bangalore in 2006-2008.
Old 5th July 2016, 19:41   #1878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Since this week, I have started checking for traffic update on Google maps for my office to home commute. I avoid travel between 6 and 8:30 PM, since it is a horrible mess on Nagar Road.
It is not only on Nagar Road. My office is on Senapati Bapat road and it is a complete mess in the same time period, 6 to 8:30 PM. Either we leave office at 6 or after 8:30 everyday. The primary reason I changed my company was the location advantage of SB Road compared to Kharadi, with respect to Kothrud. However, these days, it feels like there is not much difference.

As per some recent analysis, Pune has the 3rd highest car density in the country, but unfortunately the infrastructure is not even in the top 20 in terms of effectiveness. Loose-loose situation. Worst is that some flyovers projects never seem to complete, so instead of improving things, unfinished and unending projects add salt to the injury.

Last edited by noopster : 25th July 2016 at 15:52. Reason: Please do not use any expletive, even in masked form. Thanks!
Old 6th July 2016, 15:46   #1879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
However, these days, it feels like there is not much difference.

but unfortunately the infrastructure is not even in the top 20 in terms of effectiveness. Loose-loose situation.
You hit the nail right on the head !

I was in a company located at Nal stop and offices also in Hinjewadi while I stay at sinhagad road. Travelling by own car, the time taken to reach hinjewadi was roughly 1 hour and that to reach Nal stop was 40 mins. If we take out the time taken to reach from Wakad chowk to hinjewadi chowk then the location difference does not matter.

From Nal stop to Rajaram bridge is 10-15 mins and from there till anandnagar is entirely your luck
Old 7th July 2016, 11:13   #1880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunswnt View Post
Are 4 wheelers allowed in that underpass or only during specific hours of the day?
Not to my knowledge. IIRC, then its always limited to 2 wheelers only (not even 3 wheelers if I am not mistaken)

Quote:
My office is on Senapati Bapat road and it is a complete **** mess in the same time period, 6 to 8:30 PM. Either we leave office at 6 or after 8:30 everyday. The primary reason I changed my company was the location advantage of SB Road compared to Kharadi, with respect to Kothrud.
I too am on SB road and have been here for over 5 years now but unfortunately, in a week or two, our project is moving to Hinjewadi

In the evening, moving from SB Road towards University is a big pain owing to the thoughtlessness of the flyover that is constructed. One arm of the flyover should have been ideally extended to Pashan as well and things would have been way better IMHO
Old 7th July 2016, 11:29   #1881
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunswnt View Post
But I guess, that underpass is only for 2 & 3 wheelers. Are 4 wheelers allowed in that underpass or only during specific hours of the day?
All I remember seeing is a board at the entrance of the underpass in Shivajinagar side that it is meant only for 2 & 3 wheelers, don't remember seeing any timings....

Quote:
My office is on Senapati Bapat road and it is a complete **** mess in the same time period, 6 to 8:30 PM. Either we leave office at 6 or after 8:30 everyday.

As per some recent analysis, Pune has the 3rd highest car density in the country, but unfortunately the infrastructure is not even in the top 20 in terms of effectiveness. Loose-loose situation.
Since the rains started, the traffic lights near Central & E-Square on University Road have been switched off - and traffic is being regulated manually. What this has resulted in a mile long queue right from the flyover starting near Hardikar Hospital / Sangoi Petrol pump.

Problem here is there are no alternate roads to reduce the burden and improve traffic flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
From Nal stop to Rajaram bridge is 10-15 mins and from there till anandnagar is entirely your luck
Yes, I pray for good luck every time I leave office in the evening. In the morning, I ensure that I leave atleast 15 minutes ahead of the rush hour.

To continue with what I have said above i.e. alternate routes, this is my experience with respect to arterial roads in Pune -

a. J M Road. F C Road was its alternative. Now with both made one way, at least the traffic flows (bottle neck being Deccan Gymkhana)

b. Karve Road, upto Kothrud Junction. From DG to Nal Stop there is alternative in the form of Prabhat Road; unfortunately, parked cars clog the traffic and not favoured by motorists.

c. Swargate to Katraj via Padmavati - the bypass has provided an alternative, but too circuitous

And, take a look at these -

d. University aka Ganeshkhind Road. Sancheti Hospital to University Junction. Is there really any alternative? Using the old Pune Bombay Road means you will travel double the distance.

c. Senapati Bapat Road. Nal Stop to Chaturshringi. Only alternative is via Karve Road, FC Road, University Road. Or you can go to Chandni Chowk, Bavdhan, Pashan, University.

d. Swargate to Hadapsar. Is there really an alternative?

e. DG to Nagar Road. You can try your luck using the new route behind Sangamwadi, with a hope that you can get through the jam at Sancheti bridge (both ends) as well as the turn off near Wakdewadi.

f. University to Hinjawadi. You can pray and take the Baner / Balewadi road and hope you don't stuck on the highway turnoff......

We can't build new roads.

Expanding the carriage width of the roads has reached its limits.

Flyovers will not be effective in the long run.

Only solution I can think of is good public transport, but BRTS is a HUGE MESS. Assured punctual service, AC bus and a bus stop within one kilometer radius, dreamt of reaching my office using BRTS with minimum discomfort...... when will my dreams will come true?
vrprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2016, 11:49   #1882
BHPian

Quote:

f. University to Hinjawadi. You can pray and take the Baner / Balewadi road and hope you don't stuck on the highway turnoff......

We can't build new roads.

Only solution I can think of is good public transport, but BRTS is a HUGE MESS. Assured punctual service, AC bus and a bus stop within one kilometer radius, dreamt of reaching my office using BRTS with minimum discomfort...... when will my dreams will come true?
Hinjewadi traffic can surely be managed by building more approach roads though I hear that the local villagers are creating a problem and not allowing this to happen but yes, the long term solution is only and only good public transport including AC volvos to IT parks in Hinjewadi/Magarpatta/Kharadi.

I also heard that in Blore many buses have Wifi connectivity enabling employees to work while in the bus. So thats like a bonus because even your time in travel is counted in your office hours and you can come home without the stress of having to drive.
Old 7th July 2016, 13:40   #1883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Swargate, Pune

Ideally they should have built another arm for those coming from Hadapsar, wanting to go towards Katraj, but I think I am asking too much.
Enjoy it while you can, Vivek, because a grade separator is planned for direct drive from Hadapsar towards Saras baug, and the construction for the same will start soon!
sschivate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2016, 13:53   #1884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschivate View Post
Enjoy it while you can, Vivek, because a grade separator is planned for direct drive from Hadapsar towards Saras baug, and the construction for the same will start soon!
Construction has started already!
Ketan T is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2016, 17:07   #1885
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
I will never take the BRTS owing to the frequent breakdowns),
Agree with you. There are several obstacles in the way of effective implementation of BRTS but the situation of newly opened BRTS routes in Pune has greatly improved and way better than the pilot Katraj-Swargate-Hadapsar route. I am all for this project in Pune especially after my recent first hand experience with Nagar road BRTS. I travelled from Tata Guardroom to MaNaPa (Pune corporation) and back to Viman Nagar corner just for the sake of it and I was mighty impressed with the way of its functioning. I have travelled extensively in city buses in Mumbai, Pune and Bangalore all my life but to be honest,for the first time the experience of travelling in a city bus seemed to be completely on a different level, thanks to BRTS in Pune and all the technology behind driving it. City bus scenario minus BRTS in Pune is sick though. Mumbai wins anyday w.r.t public transport. But I am glad this time around the PMC/PMPML in Pune is moving in the right direction. I hope they push this project on a bigger scale covering many areas, provide end to end connectivity and garner a huge positive response. Major cities in India are in need of such solutions if they are aiming for a better public transport. I know Pune is still way behind other major cities and needs to go a long way when it comes to public transport but its good to see the administration did not give up on the BRTS thing after the failure of pilot route. All they need to do now is procure more and more number of buses, increase the frequency and improvise the general traffic regulation scenario in Pune. Some trivial as well as major infrastructure issues coming in the way of efficient BRTS working needs to be fixed. Came across a news yesterday that PMPML has decided to buy 1500 new buses out of which 550 will be AC buses enabled for BRTS route. Ofcourse I know all that I am talking is only a hope. We need to wait and see if things fall in place in reality or they would remain forever on papers ! I am concerned about the long term maintenance of these swanky BRTS bus stations viz. the sensors, automatic glass doors, display televisions, buses et all. PMPML is known for pathetic maintenance of its buses. It is sad to know Pune that was second only city in India which plied ''Volvo city buses'' way back in 2005 or so after Bangalore, today has no concept of AC buses ! ( some CityAir is operating AC buses to airport though).

As a Doctor, I found another conspicuous advantage of BRTS routes and that is they come handy for Ambulances ! I am mostly used to Pune,Mumbai and Bangalore all my life and its only in Pune I have seen ambulances getting a free and fast passage on some of the city roads even in peak hour traffic. This is possible only and only due to dedicated BRTS routes. I am not saying this from recent experience but right from when Katraj-Swargate-Hadapsar BRTS route was built. Getting a critical patient to hospital within the ‘’golden hour’’ is so vital for timely intervention as chances of survival and quick recovery are high. I lost the count of number of Ambulances I spotted running swiftly in the BRTS lanes while the rest of the whole world was stuck into horrible traffic on Nagar road.

Regarding buses breaking down in BRTS lanes – It’s true most of these PMPML buses often break down. But the problem doesn’t arise for other buses wherever the two bus lanes do not have median in between, as they can simply overtake and move on. At certain places on Nagar road BRTS I observed that there is a huge median between two bus lanes and if one bus happens to break down, that lane will have to be closed until the broken down bus is towed away from the spot.
Old 17th July 2016, 12:36   #1886
Senior - BHPian

The papers today said that PCMC plans to build a BRT route on the Mumbai Pune highway. Surely, they dont mean the Katraj Dehu bypass ?
Old 17th July 2016, 13:22   #1887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
The papers today said that PCMC plans to build a BRT route on the Mumbai Pune highway. Surely, they dont mean the Katraj Dehu bypass ?
It is related to the BRTS route on Old Pune-Mumbai highway between Dapodi and Bhakti Shakti passing through PCMC. But its already constructed past few years and there was a talk going on from long time to make it operational. I am sure there is no plan of BRTS on the 36 km long NH4 bypass as it comes under NHAI. There were plans to extend the BRTS of old Pune-Mumbai highway to some other locations like PMC Bhavan, may be the news is in this regard.

BRTS route Maps for referrence. Second map is limited to PCMC area Source - Official website
Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-brtcorridormapenglish.jpg

Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-pcmccorridormap27nov2015.jpg
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 17:47   #1888
BHPian

Today morning while travelling from Vadgaon (junction of Pune-bangalore highway) towards Katraj, I was shocked to see the number of vehicles travelling on the wrong side of the road occupying nearly one full lane.

This is a very dangerous thing for those driving on the correct side, especially two wheeler riders. There were a couple of constables near wonder city (very near Katraj) just standing on the road side. I just hope there is no major accident, what with it raining cats and dogs. What is the world coming to I wonder with everyone speeding on the wrong side of a major highway with such impunity and complete disregard to the law and life and limb of other road users !!
Old 21st July 2016, 18:28   #1889
Senior - BHPian

Smart City!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
...was shocked to see the number of vehicles travelling on the wrong side of the road occupying nearly one full lane.

This is a very dangerous thing for those driving on the correct side, especially two wheeler riders.
Welcome to the "Smart City" , mate!!

Looks like you are new hereabouts. Wrong side driving is not just restricted to highways - Punekars have a fundamental right to drive anywhere they please. Rules (and signals) are only indicative, and need to be adhered to you at your own risk and responsibility :-(

Had Pythagoras been alive today, he would added one more category in his classification!! Punekars honour him by taking tangential turns, like this - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3580691

In case you plan to stay on here for some time, better bookmark this link and read it repeatedly, like I do! http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3057873
Old 22nd July 2016, 10:25   #1890
Senior - BHPian

Take a look at this - news in today's Times of India on page 2 (Pune Edition)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pune Traffic.pdf (576.7 KB, 424 views)

Most Viewed