Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2018, 09:04   #2056
BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

I have driven in Bangalore and Pune and as much as I don't like the traffic in Bangalore, in Pune I see that people never really bother to follow basic traffic rules such as not having to drive on the wrong side of the road. People just prefer to take the "shortcut" even if it means driving on the wrong side - and all this from the so called "educated" folks and folks who work presumably in "IT companies".
pandey.jai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 20:18   #2057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandey.jai View Post
I have driven in Bangalore and Pune and as much as I don't like the traffic in Bangalore, in Pune I see that people never really bother to follow basic traffic rules such as not having to drive on the wrong side of the road. People just prefer to take the "shortcut" even if it means driving on the wrong side - and all this from the so called "educated" folks and folks who work presumably in "IT companies".
Yes, this is dangerous. When I see a two wheeler going in opposite direction on main road here in Pune, I slightly point my handle in his/her direction and try to steer my bike directly head on to the two wheeler keeping my bike in low speed.

The look on the face of the two wheeler going in opposite direction is horror. I have seen eyes of people getting wide when they see a bike coming head on towards them. At the end moment, I steer away handle away from them. I also factor in traffic on my right side while doing this antics.
Old 16th November 2018, 21:13   #2058
Senior - BHPian

Hopefully there will be some sanity on Pune roads, come 1st January 2019.
Pune's new Police Commissioner K Venkatesham has announced mandatory helmet rule citing increasing accidents due to rampant flouting by two-wheeler riders.

Link
Old 17th November 2018, 14:47   #2059
Senior - BHPian

Pune: CP says helmets must from January 1

Quote:
Police commissioner K Venkatesham announced here on Thursday that his department will strictly implement the rule for man for mandatory use of helmets by two-wheeler users in the city from January 1.
Quote:
The police chief said the law, as of now, provides for a spontaneous fine of Rs200 for the helmet rule violation. “There is a false assumption that a violator, once fined and issued a challan, can show it at all junctions for the following 24 hours and keep flouting the rule for the day. We won’t let this happen. We will issue challan to such persons at every junction,” .
News Source.
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2018, 09:56   #2060
BHPian

This was a video edited from my dashcam recordings last year.

Had posted it elsewhere t-bhp but thought of sharing here too. Enjoy

haldar_siliguri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 10:17   #2061
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Pune's new Police Commissioner K Venkatesham has announced mandatory helmet rule citing increasing accidents due to rampant flouting by two-wheeler riders.
Appreciable and much welcome move. Given that they have not even been able to stop vehicles from rampantly using the BRTs lane, I am not sure how well this would be enforced. The case of issuing challans on every junction should do the trick I suppose
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 10:29   #2062
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
Pune: CP says helmets must from January 1
Quote:
Police commissioner K Venkatesham announced here on Thursday that his department will strictly implement the rule for man for mandatory use of helmets by two-wheeler users in the city from January 1.
I seriously doubt anything positive is going to come out of this.

Did anything concrete / change come out of the heavy fines for folks going on the wrong side? Last weekend when I was in Pune for a few hours, I saw atleast 4-5 bikes going on the wrong side just in the stretch between Baner junction on the highway and Aundh junction. Don't see any change in the attitude of people basis that experience.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 10:38   #2063
BHPian

Here is a shocker from our so called ‘Well wishers of the society’ with their logic competing with Rohit Shetty’s physics in his movies!! They are going to oppose the helmet rule coz ‘roads too congested to ride above 20-25kmph’ and similar arguments..

https://punemirror.indiatimes.com/pu...w/66684105.cms
quickfox11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 11:05   #2064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I seriously doubt anything positive is going to come out of this.
Forget the general public, I would eat my helmet if he can make each and every member of his own staff follow this rule first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfox11 View Post
Here is a shocker from our so called ‘Well wishers of the society’ with their logic competing with Rohit Shetty’s physics in his movies!! They are going to oppose the helmet rule coz ‘roads too congested to ride above 20-25kmph’ and similar arguments..

https://punemirror.indiatimes.com/pu...w/66684105.cms
Just emphasizes this:

Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-calvin.jpg

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 19th November 2018 at 11:33.
comfortablynumb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 11:09   #2065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Appreciable and much welcome move. Given that they have not even been able to stop vehicles from rampantly using the BRTs lane, I am not sure how well this would be enforced. The case of issuing challans on every junction should do the trick I suppose
The BRTS intitiative itself is doomed. A stretch of 3kms has been cordoned off for the Metro construction work between Yerawda and Viman nagar. Costs for this change will be borne by MahaMetro apparently. If they knew that the metro was coming up, what was the need to spend so much on building BRTS?
It is not as if MahaMetro is minting their own money, it is obviously coming from the taxpayer.

Implementation of fines is only once in a blue moon. I think it would be better if they outsourced this to a thirdparty provider. Even at 20% commission to the provider, they would collect at least 10 times more in fines than what they do today. The third party provider will become a millionaire overnight.

And if traffic violations reduce due to this, it should have been the objective in the first place; to have deterrents in order.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 11:22   #2066
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfox11 View Post
They are going to oppose the helmet rule coz ‘roads too congested to ride above 20-25kmph’ and similar arguments.
That's Pune at its best! Frankly though, traffic police should stop enforcing helmets on passengers. Instead, accident victims not wearing helmet should not be awarded insurance claims or any sort of compensation. It beats me how people are ignorant about their own safety. Citizens should stop overestimating themselves and accept that every time their head meets the tarmac, they are going to lose.
Old 19th November 2018, 12:35   #2067
Senior - BHPian

Saturday afternoon 345pm, outside Kayani bakery East street.
For those who are unaware, Kayani bakery reopens at 330pm.

I was coming out of the bakery with my monthly supply of cookies and cakes. A group of women tried to ask the chowkidar standing outside for something.
The chowkidar replied, Mujhe mat pareshan karo, andar bahut bheed hai (Don't bother me, it is very crowded inside)
The women were confused; ended up saying if there is a crowd inside, how does that affect you here

Anyway, my wife ended up giving the required info before we went our separate ways. The chowkidar continued to stand there doing what seemed to me as nothing.

Last edited by selfdrive : 19th November 2018 at 12:36.
Old 19th November 2018, 13:19   #2068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
Instead, accident victims not wearing helmet should not be awarded insurance claims or any sort of compensation.
I agree to this. Even better that a person without helmet should be the accused (than the victim as is the case now) for any accident that happens in the first place because they were not following the rule and the police should take action against them
Old 19th November 2018, 13:35   #2069
Senior - BHPian

This whole anti-helmet-mandate activity is puzzling and shocking at the same time. Being a Punekar since birth, it is also disappointing to see this approach of Punekars towards this rule. The kind of reasoning these guys are coming up with is laughable and ridiculous.

I have been to Bangalore a couple of times recently and I saw almot 99.99% of the two wheeler riders wearing helmet, including the rear seat passengers. Why can't Punekars follow this simple but utmost necessary rule?

It is the 3rd or 4th time this rule is being implemented and being opposed by some set of people, whose logic of opposing is beyond my understanding.

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 19th November 2018 at 13:42.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 13:47   #2070
Senior - BHPian

PMPML to let mass transport vehicles drive in BRTS lanes.

Quote:
PUNE: The Pune Mahanagar Parivahan Mahamandal Limited (PMPML) plans to allow mass transport vehicles carrying office-goers, state transport buses and school vehicles to use the bus rapid transit system (BRTS) corridors.
News Source.
SJM1214 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks