Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2019, 20:41   #2101
BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Thanks guys for the info.

Infact while going to the place, I took the Chandni Chowk - Pirangaut- Paud route which was a bad decision. The roads were totally broken and in some places non existent. There is concrete roadwork going on but in patches, no single stretch of more than 20 mtrs was available. This was a single lane and traffic movement for 2 SUV's on these stretches was also a big challenge. The stretch after Paud till Male was worst. Absolutely a back breaking trip I must say. The road is a must for offroaders.
The return was however from Paud to Hinjewadi vis Bhumkar nagar touching the NH4 at Chinchwad underpass. The approach to this road is between Paud and Pirangaut. This road was relatively good with some bad patches thrown in but overall is drive able.
This means situation of this road from Chandni chowk all the way till the PWD limit of Pune division in Tamhini Ghat has not improved since December 2018. I feel sometimes the road infra is crumbling in Maharashtra, specially roads like Tamhini ghat road.

Even the Varandha ghat between Bhor and Mahad is not in good condition. MH state doesn't want to promote tourism in Konkan sea side given the condition of these roads so that Pune crowd doesn't trample the Konkan sea side.
Old 5th August 2019, 09:17   #2102
Senior - BHPian

Almost empty roads this morning while coming to office (Kothrud to Kharadi). Probably lots of office goers had to bunk office due to the enforced school holiday announced yesterday. Whatever the reason, hope to have a traffic jam free return trip too, after a long time today

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 5th August 2019, 11:06   #2103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Almost empty roads this morning while coming to office (Kothrud to Kharadi). Probably lots of office goers had to bunk office due to the enforced school holiday announced yesterday. Whatever the reason, hope to have a traffic jam free return trip too, after a long time today
Cheers,
Vikram
Same here. I reached office in flat 14 minutes from Kothrud to Shivajinagar. The only worry now is that they are going to discharge a lot of water in the afternoon today which might submerge few areas on the way. Hoping the return commute is as comforting. Few offices have declared holidays or WFH which is a sensible thing to do.

By the way, people coming from Sanghavi, Wakad, Aundh areas cannot go beyond Bremen junction. Police have blocked the roads. Many of my team members returned home.
Old 5th August 2019, 13:04   #2104
BHPian

The new bridge that was constructed on the service lane after Holiday inn on the Balewadi-Wakad stretch has been closed (Main bridge on the highway is operational). The newly inaugurated bridge's structural integrity has been compromised and deemed unsafe.
So the usual traffic jam on the Balewadi stadium to Surya Hospital stretch is back. However, Hinjewadi is smooth on account of most companies advising employees to work from home, and police blockades near Sanghavi, Wakad, Aundh areas.
Also, Indryani river has breached its banks and many close by societies and establishments have submerged.
Many patients from Surya hospital in Wakad and Jupiter hospital in Baner had to be moved to different hospitals.
I saw water filled totally into the lower parking level in Surya hospital on my way to office today.
Old 6th August 2019, 10:07   #2105
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday, our office announced a half day leave and asked people to leave home, before the large discharge of water reaches Deccan & further areas. I reached home again 10-12 minutes at 2 PM.

Today, employees from Aundh-Baner-Wakad areas have opted for a leave or WFH, as all bridges in these areas are closed.
Old 3rd October 2019, 21:50   #2106
Distinguished - BHPian

Near miss this evening at the Sus Pashan exit on NH4 bypass. A Shuttl bus “merges” onto the 3-lane national highway in the most ridiculous way imaginable. I saw him and slowed to a complete halt but he still managed to cut across my (middle) lane and almost hit the poor trucker on my right in the fast lane. It’s a miracle there was no contact.

I’ve noticed that these Shuttl buses drive in a rash and irresponsible manner. As long as we don’t get good public transportation (read Metro) in Pune, such fly-by-night operators are going to make hay, at our expense.
Old 7th October 2019, 10:23   #2107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I’ve noticed that these Shuttl buses drive in a rash and irresponsible manner
Spot on. In the last one week I have seen many such occurrences where they stop in the middle of the road to pick/leave passengers or change lanes without any intimation. This was more prominent during the rains near the pumpkin patch/euro school stretch on the way to Bhumkar from Phase 2. These rascals would go off-road and then bulldoze their way into the main traffic when other people are waiting patiently. Had a near miss with such a nut sack. Managed to block him and give him the middle finger salute after going ahead.

I generally never get into altercations with anyone on road but that day it was the limit the way this guy came barging into the lane. I will probably write to Shuttl customer care and see what happens and would suggest you to do the same as well with the evidence you have.
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2019, 15:32   #2108
BHPian

This is a rant firstly on PMPL drivers and secondly on the faulty traffic management by Pune traffic police.

Lately I have encountered many rashly driven pmpl buses without a regard to the surrounding traffic. Taking undue advantage of their size, these merchants of death manage to bully smaller vehicles into giving way. Prime examples are the Meteorology department chowk near Shivajinagar.

These guys come from the grade separator and even though they have to either turn left or go straight, they will go all the way to the right and then push everyone turning left out of their way. This, when there is a bus stop just after the left turn. Numerous policemen and women stationed a the chowk turn a blind eye to this rogue behavior.

Another rant is regarding the bad traffic management at points where roads from two different directions merge into a third one. e.g. The one at Katraj chowk or below the paud road flyover. At Katraj chowk, traffic turning from katraj towards wadgaon and that turning from swargate towards wadgaon, both receive green signals at the same time. This causes a royal jam at the highway entrance. Adding to the melee are the numerous share rickshaws and tempos parked right at the start of the highway.

At the paud road flyover, traffic coming from paud road is given green signal at the same time as that coming from Dr Kalmadi highschool. This causes a jam on the road which is already reduced in width due to the ongoing metro project.

End of rant.
Old 17th October 2019, 09:09   #2109
Senior - BHPian

PM's rally in SP College, Tilak Road today evening. Avoid passing through the area if possible. All roads leading to and from the vicinity will be choked with extremely civil and well behaved patriots.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 15:19   #2110
BHPian

Quote:
PM's rally in SP College, Tilak Road today evening.
Cheers,
Vikram
Read this in today's newspaper and also read about the closure of various roads.

I wonder why do they have to close down entire stretch of Shashtri road, tilak road and cause immense traffic jams. And why do the restrictions start from 12PM - way early for an evening rally ? The PM can in fact use a chopper to land directly on SP college grounds from the airport.

As it is, it is a major hassle to drive in peak hours in Pune. Roads are proving to be insufficient to support the exponentially rising amount of vehicles. Add to the fact that nobody wants to wait behind any other vehicle. Always peeking and trying to get around the vehicle in front.

Adding to the already existing chaos is this type of enforcement. This will result in traffic jams not only on the major roads but this will extend to all the connecting roads and junctions which people will try to use to avoid the closed roads.
Old 17th October 2019, 15:26   #2111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
Read this in today's newspaper and also read about the closure of various roads..
Agree with every single word you have written, but unfortunately don't have any answers. Luckily our PM hates VIP culture. Just imagine the traffic situation if he was a fan.
I have got a packed dinner with me today, in addition to the regular lunch box.
Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 17th October 2019 at 15:29.
comfortablynumb is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 16:24   #2112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have got a packed dinner with me today, in addition to the regular lunch box.
Cheers,
Vikram
Same here. Told family that I may reach by 9 PM or so, if the University-Pashan-Chandani Chowk route is available to drive through. My office is right at the Sancheti Hospital junction, and I use the JM Road-Karve Road route everyday. But today it is better to be avoided.

I read about another fun fact. The even organizer is building a nice tar road all the way from the SP College gate to the pandal in the middle of the SP College ground, so that PM and his team can directly drive upto the pandal. Organizer told the media that it is up to the college whether to keep the tar road or dig it out later on.

This is the ground where they are building the new tar road.

Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-spground.jpg

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 17th October 2019 at 16:28.
ajay_satpute is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 16:53   #2113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Most likely even our bus will take the detour you mentioned, let's see.

IIRC (I studied in SPC), it's already tarred right till the edge of the ground (on all sides); they'll just need to remove some small vehicle barriers in the way. The PM and his entourage will then have to walk maybe 50 metres till the centre of the ground, where I assume the stage would be. That should be easily doable for a fit guy like him.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 17th October 2019 at 17:04.
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 19:47   #2114
Senior - BHPian

What a luck! I left office to take the University-Pashan-Chandani Chowk route and reached near Central mall on University road and bang. Entire traffic was halted to let Modi ji pass from the other side towards Shivajinagar. I saw Modi ji from a distance of 2-3 feet in his BMW X7 with some 30-35 vehicles in the front and at the back. Traffic was standstill for 10 minutes until all VVIP vehicles passed. But after that point, there was hardly any issue.
Modi ji was sitting on the front seat with some light on his face lighting his face well.

I wonder why did he not fly in a helicopter directly to SP college ground? It would have been so much easier and less painful for common man and Police department

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 17th October 2019 at 19:48.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 21:10   #2115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post

Attachment 1923822
That is NOT S P College ground. That looks like Deccan Gymkhana or PYC - most likely Deccan Gymkhana going by the neon sign.

Last edited by amoghchaphalkar : 17th October 2019 at 21:11.
amoghchaphalkar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks