Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2022, 20:08   #2131
BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD2122 View Post

The entire road right up-to Satara was absolutely a marvel to drive. I got to drive on an absolutely newly made road (mix of concrete and tar sections) with not a single pothole! Width was almost similar to Pune-Bangalore highway. The only bit rough patch were on small construction activity being done on small culverts. If anyone wants to go to Satara from Mahabaleshwar, pls follow this "Medha" route. Also no tolls (at least as of now).
It’s been quite a few months since this patch is completed. It was under construction till last monsoon. I, along with few biker buddies visited this patch during winters and it was bliss climbing towards Mahabaleshwar from Satara
abhi_tjet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 13:16   #2132
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Please lock your doors all the time.

Happened with a friend of mine at University circle signal (coming from Pashan - going towards Shivajinagar). A group of beggars (Guy, a lady, kids) approached their car when they were waiting for green light like it usually happens and after knocking on the windows from driver and passenger side, the guy tried to open the passenger door!

Thankfully the doors were locked and he wasn't able to open but it scared the lights out of them. What if the door wasn't locked? They knew the driver isn't going to run after them leaving the vehicle in dense traffic. Even more audacious, there are multiple police establishments both sides of the road!

My friend's wife was sitting in passenger seat and had a folder of documents including passport in her lap. It had all the writings of a potentially disastrous incident.
Snatching that folder, her mobile phone and purse would have been the easiest thing considering she was in a big shock as well as strapped in seatbelt.

That particular route is my usual too and I never had this problem. There are traffic police there too. But I imagine it could be one-off incident out of desperation or the beggars are really getting aggressive and possibly have an escape route?

My car does not have auto locking doors. Just thinking what could happen if one of these days I forget to lock the door and someone opens the door while we are sitting, talking merrily inside sends shivers down my neck.

Take care guys, if you don't have auto locking doors. Like I said it seems like one off occurrence but don't risk it.
amol4184 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 09:37   #2133
BHPian

Found this pic in a newspaper today. The article is about the traffic jam at Nul Stop.

Looks like law college road. And going by the street/head lights, it's evening rush hour.
But look at the pic!
Punekars (who are notorious scofflaws since decades) actually following lane discipline!
I am pleasantly surprised!
May their tribe grow!

Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-nul-stop-traffic.png
RedTerrano is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 09:45   #2134
Senior - BHPian

Am presently at the Anandnagar, Sinhagad road and the kind of traffic buildup at any hour of the day due to the ongoing flyover pillar construction is mind blowing. Not a single hour goes by without the blaring horns, screeching sounds due to the traffic build up from Santosh hall till the Brahma restaurant a small stretch of 500 mtrs max. The amount of air and noise pollution seen was never heard of. Plus add the negligence of the traffic authorities to make the stretch as no parking zone is adding to the traffic build up. Vehicles are parked haphazardly giving little space for the vehicle movement.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 10:28   #2135
Senior - BHPian

Similar sorry state at many major junctions in Pune. One such point is where Bavdhan traffic join the highway just before Chandani Chowk. There is a traffic jam at this point at any point of the day. I hope whatever they are doing there, do it soon.
And exactly same issue on the other side of the same road. 1/3 of the road is eaten by some construction which has been inactive for many days. So coming from Sinhgad road/Warje towards Chandani Chowk, there is always a jam here due to the bottleneck.

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 9th May 2022 at 10:30.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 11:43   #2136
BHPian

Best test for anyone is waiting for signal on a steep slope. Just try the signal near the Vanadevi chowk near warje / karvenagar where folks coming from Karvenagar have to wait on a steep slope for the signal.

On a lighter note - I think it's time to declare that just coming to RTO from anywhere in Pune will qualify you to get a license right away without any questions asked :-)
SSD2122 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 19:36   #2137
BHPian

A word of caution for people filling at HP Pump at Koregaon Park signal near Taj (Blue Diamond).

I never fill anywhere else other than my regular pump (HP at University Road near opp Modibaug) but had to fill here once in March. They filled 48 liters in my 52 liter EcoSport which is impossible considering there is a reserve of atleast 6 litres. I complained and got a call from some HP Pune manager but he said it's a reputed pump and it should never happen. With same DTE left, I always fill at my regular pump and never have I filled more than 46 litres.
Old 8th June 2022, 20:28   #2138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Similar sorry state at many major junctions in Pune. One such point is where Bavdhan traffic join the highway just before Chandani Chowk. There is a traffic jam at this point at any point of the day. I hope whatever they are doing there, do it soon.
And exactly same issue on the other side of the same road.
Thanksfully, both these issues are resolved now. It is a big relief.

But things have got very confusing now with all the new ramps and diversions. I wanted to turn towards Chandani Chowk from the highway, while coming from Warje side, but that turn is blocked now and we have to take some other route. I am yet to figure out how to go towards Chandani chowk.
Old 8th June 2022, 20:36   #2139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wanted to turn towards Chandani Chowk from the highway, while coming from Warje side, but that turn is blocked now and we have to take some other route. I am yet to figure out how to go towards Chandani chowk.
While driving from Warje on the highway, I think you will need to go under the bridge (while remaining on the highway), take a roundabout left U-turn (new diversion) towards Bavdhan, take a left roundabout again to join the highway (now going towards Warje)...and then finally proceed down towards Paud road
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 20:39   #2140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
While driving from Warje on the highway, I think you will need to go under the bridge (while remaining on the highway), take a roundabout left U-turn (new diversion) towards Bavdhan, take a left roundabout again to join the highway (now going towards Warje)...and then finally proceed down towards Paud road
Wow ! That is a lot of work. Feels like a maze. I would rather go down the slope towards Ved Vihas and then climb up the ramp towards Chandani Chowk. That would less complex.

BTW, this complexity is only going to grow bigger and bigger with the super ambitious plan of having multi-layer road system at Chandani Chowk.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 21:08   #2141
BHPian

Quote:
Thanksfully, both these issues are resolved now. It is a big relief.
Is it? I actually came back to Pune after 2 months and went to Chandani Chowk just to get the car to stretch its legs. Ended up doing a tap dancing with the clutch pedal instead. The traffic seemed to be much much worse and I just wanted to turn around (coming from Warje side and then heading back).

The old system was just better, let's see if they can fix it up again or else we will be doomed forever.
Old 8th June 2022, 21:46   #2142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow ! That is a lot of work. Feels like a maze. I would rather go down the slope towards Ved Vihas and then climb up the ramp towards Chandani Chowk. That would less complex.
I presumed that the Ved Vihar road to Chandni Chowk was also closed.

Quote:
BTW, this complexity is only going to grow bigger and bigger with the super ambitious plan of having multi-layer road system at Chandani Chowk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
The old system was just better, let's see if they can fix it up again or else we will be doomed forever
Couldn’t agree more!

By the way, wonder why the Pune administration is calling this project as a “flyover” project?

This is how it is expected to turn out eventually, a maze of intersections:-

Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-0d4b06f74002405ab1c947ca3695a3a4.jpeg
JoshMachine is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 13:56   #2143
BHPian

I moved to Pune in 2016 and just started driving around my own vehicle. I am seeing an annoyance which is getting rampant these days. In every traffic signal, there is a set of beggars including Adults and children who demand rather aggressively. Some people have now started cleaning the windshield as well.

They usually knock or bang very hard on the door and demand money. If you don't pay them, what they do as a retaliation is vandalise the car.

They carry some sharp objects with them and drag it along the car and scratch it. The scratches aren't too deep but enough to cause an eyesore.

I literally have no clue on how to avoid this and save my car's paint. I have decided to keep some change in the car and just give it away rather than spending thousands for the paint jobs.

My experience is mostly around Yerwada, Vishrantwadi, Nagar road stretch upto Viman Nagar and sometimes in the Mundhwa chowk.

Is anyone else experiencing this as well ? I don't think any complaint can be lodged as I see new faces everyday.

(End of Rant)
Old 2nd August 2022, 16:19   #2144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
I moved to Pune in 2016 and just started driving around my own vehicle. I am seeing an annoyance which is getting rampant these days. In every traffic signal, there is a set of beggars including Adults and children who demand rather aggressively. Some people have now started cleaning the windshield as well.

They usually knock or bang very hard on the door and demand money. If you don't pay them, what they do as a retaliation is vandalise the car.

They carry some sharp objects with them and drag it along the car and scratch it. The scratches aren't too deep but enough to cause an eyesore.

I literally have no clue on how to avoid this and save my car's paint. I have decided to keep some change in the car and just give it away rather than spending thousands for the paint jobs.

My experience is mostly around Yerwada, Vishrantwadi, Nagar road stretch upto Viman Nagar and sometimes in the Mundhwa chowk.

Is anyone else experiencing this as well ? I don't think any complaint can be lodged as I see new faces everyday.

(End of Rant)
This happens a lot in Mundhwa chowk considering the signals are long. Got away once or twice by pretending to call 100 or scaring them about the police standing after the signal - this doesn't always work though. It is a huge nuisance with no solution in sight.

Another trick they use these days is to demand water and once you lower the window, their trickery starts. So don't fall for the 'I am thirsty' trick.
akshay81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 11:47   #2145
Senior - BHPian

MH Chief Minister Eknath Shinde stuck at Chandni Chowk: blessing in disguise?

As Punekars travelling on the infamous Dehu road-Katraj bypass will sympathize with, the Chandni chowk traffic snarls have been getting impossible to traverse with every passing day.

On Friday evening, Chief Minister Shinde's convoy got stuck with a truck derailment, which by the way, is a routine affair on that intersection for other commuters.

Taking advantage of the situation, many locals gathered around and literally prompted/forced the CM to hear them.

This resulted in chaos all around, take a look:-

However, many actually consider this as a blessing in disguise since the CM immediately took the local administration to task and has asked them to expedite the needful, per this news report. Another article.

Quoting from the article:-
Quote:
To ease traffic at Chandni chowk, authorities have decided to raze the old bridge previously used by commuters to enter into Kothrud within 15 days, provide 100 marshals to regularise traffic, increase one lane for traffic and start service road. Among the 100 marshals, Pune and Pimpri-Chinchwad police will deploy 50 each.
Hoping that this action from the very top in the state admin will really shake up things for speedy betterment of the area.

Acche din coming up for commuters on that road?
JoshMachine is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks