Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2022, 23:28   #2176
BHPian

Re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
New ramp opened up from today for Mumbai, Mulshi, Bavdhan. Previous road towards Mulshi has been closed.
After taking U turn at NDA road, take down ramp to proceed to highway towards Mumbai. If one has to go Mulshi/Bavdhan, go further on highway for few meters and take left ramp(2-way) and then take right.
Waited for a few days, then took this Paud Road > Balewadi route twice over the past week. Fully operational, except that it is still work in progress. Merging with traffic headed to Mumbai is a breeze, at least around 4.30pm (day 1) and 7.30pm (day 2).

There is a left ramp going up from Katraj side > Mulshi. It is now a two-way road for people going Katraj > Mulshi and Mulshi > Balewadi.

Still not smooth sailing, but at least it no longer a frustrating experience to cross Chandni chowk.
Old 28th November 2022, 09:07   #2177
BHPian

🎶 Happy Days Are Here Again!
(For Punekars only)

Quote:
Hundreds of autorickshaws in Pune and Pimpri Chinchwad will remain off the roads from Monday as several unions have announced a strike against the operations of bike taxi services
Enjoy smooth flowing traffic while it lasts folks.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/95812226.cms
RedTerrano is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2023, 14:13   #2178
BHPian

While there are many road traffic violations, I was a bit surprised to see wrong side riding on University- Pashan road which is made 1-way till Abhimanshree society junction. This road is quite busy as well as important and is not any internal road where people ride the way they please. No police to check violations as well.

People relative new to this route, please exercise caution.
abhi_tjet is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 01:12   #2179
BHPian

This is a rant!

Having driven in Pune over the past two years, I have realised that a statement made to me in 1990 is true: (the statement being) If you can drive/ride in Pune, you can drive/ride anywhere in the world.

Work/leisure took me to many parts of Asia and Europe. I could comfortably negotiate any traffic challenges between the Pacific to the east and the Atlantic to the west. Thanks to Puneri 'education'. These included riding/driving in Europe and riding in Vietnam, Myanmar (pre-crackdown years), Thailand and the Gulf nations.

I think I have percolated all the choicest descriptions of Pune traffic into one word: asabhya (uncivilised).

Leave aside wrong side driving, Punekars don't even want to follow lane discipline. Her Highness, not a 'driver', realised this specific aspect on a recent trip to Mumbai.

I am fortunate that I have experienced, as a passenger, road etiquette in Goa and Mizoram, so I can comfortably say that it is NOT a part of Indian road sense DNA.

Punekars follow all relevant rules the moment they cross the Talegaon toll plaza towards Mumbai, and forget them as promptly on their return journey to Pune. Asabhya (uncivilised), repeating myself once.

Pune culturally has been touted as an enlightened, progressive city, but the behaviour while driving/riding on the streets of the city belie these specific beliefs. Enlightened and progressive otherwise, NOT where riding/driving sense is concerned.

All brickbats welcome.

Last edited by mygodbole : 15th February 2023 at 01:18.
mygodbole is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 03:21   #2180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygodbole View Post
This is a rant!

Punekars follow all relevant rules the moment they cross the Talegaon toll plaza towards Mumbai, and forget them as promptly on their return journey to Pune. Asabhya (uncivilised), repeating myself once.
I will politely disagree with you here. You can clearly spot MH-14/MH-12 cars in Mumbai without even looking at the number plate. You can look at the driving pattern and recognise that this fellow drives in Pune.

The crust of the problem that lies in Pune’s traffic sense is “I don’t care & consequences be damned” attitude OR is it too much of a trust on fellow riders/drivers ? Every other driver/rider is “Sheth” and Traffic policemen are also only interested in spotting out of state cars / Trucks to make an earning. You will never find them at places where they need to be to ease up the traffic flow.

I remember when I shifted to Pune 2 years back. I was completely amazed by the flouting of traffic rules and sheer number of Wagon-R in pune.

On a positive note, driving in pune has helped me achieve a better grip over my temper. Even my friends were amazed on how calm I am now when driving on roads because I have realised there is no point in boiling your own blood over someone else’s stupidity.

I have a question for all fellow bhpians who drive in pune. Do you think a lack of ORR is seriously hampering Pune ?
I feel pune really needs a better road infrastructure specially an ORR to ease off some traffic.

Last edited by BleueNinja : 15th February 2023 at 03:24.
BleueNinja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 08:30   #2181
BHPian

Quote:
I think I have percolated all the choicest descriptions of Pune traffic into one word: asabhya (uncivilised).
As a born Punekar, who has been driving in Pune for 30+ years, I think you are too sabhya in your choice of adjective. Thank you.
When I was younger and full of vim and vigour and optimism, I have stopped numerous scofflaws and tried to point out the error of their ways. Jumping red lights, parking on a corner, wrong side, lack of lane discipline. In return I have wasted numerous hours in needless arguments. I stopped bothering the day a dude told me, he was handicapped and was thus allowed to drive on the wrong side. He even pointed out his hearing aid as proof.
From then on, I have given up and dont care anymore.

Quote:
Leave aside wrong side driving, Punekars don't even want to follow lane discipline.
This is not limited to Talegaon. Come to think of it, it is not limited to Punekars either.
I personally know one dude (non MH) who immediately adopted the Punekar "style" of driving the moment he settled here. Some years down the line, he picked me up from the Chicago airport to take me to my hotel. On our way, some girls passed us by and showed him the finger. Upon enquiry he shamefully admitted he was driving on the speed limit, while the norm was limit +5/10 was OK. The reason for this drastic change from Pune? He was scared his H1 will be affected if he breaks any rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleueNinja View Post
I will politely disagree with you here. You can clearly spot MH-14/MH-12 cars in Mumbai without even looking at the number plate.
May God forgive you for this intolerable insult. Never ever club MH12 with MH14 Thats like putting apples and oranges in the same basket.

Quote:
The crust of the problem that lies in Pune’s traffic sense is “I don’t care & consequences be damned” attitude OR is it too much of a trust on fellow riders/drivers ? Every other driver/rider is “Sheth” and Traffic policemen are also only interested in spotting out of state cars / Trucks to make an earning. You will never find them at places where they need to be to ease up the traffic flow.
Every Punekar is a millionaire. Busy busy busy. Thats why everyone is in a rush. Thats why you see so many people busy on the phones while driving as well.

Quote:
I remember when I shifted to Pune 2 years back. I was completely amazed by the flouting of traffic rules and sheer number of Wagon-R in pune.
Hey hey hey! What's the problem with WagonR? As a WagonR owner, I am offended. Spartaaaaaa!
RedTerrano is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 09:19   #2182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
--
I think I have percolated all the choicest descriptions of Pune traffic into one word: asabhya (uncivilised)
--
Pune culturally has been touted as an enlightened, progressive city, but the behaviour while driving/riding on the streets of the city belie these specific beliefs. Enlightened and progressive otherwise, NOT where riding/driving sense is concerned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
As a born Punekar, who has been driving in Pune for 30+ years, I think you are too sabhya in your choice of adjective.
Even the choicest of words will not dampen the Punekar spirit and attitude!

Reminds me of:-

Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-images.jpeg
JoshMachine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 09:35   #2183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
May God forgive you for this intolerable insult. Never ever club MH12 with MH14 Thats like putting apples and oranges in the same basket.
Risking going OT, I started from MH-02, moved to Pune ten years back, transitioned to MH-12, my latest ride being MH-14, so where do I fit in
Coming back to the topic, If I am not wrong, the coming Sunday (19th) is Chattrapathy Shivaji Maharaj Jayanthy. I presume major junctions will see traffic blocks.
Old 15th February 2023, 16:02   #2184
BHPian

Quote:

Every Punekar is a millionaire. Busy busy busy. Thats why everyone is in a rush. Thats why you see so many people busy on the phones while driving as well.

Hey hey hey! What's the problem with WagonR? As a WagonR owner, I am offended. Spartaaaaaa!

Haha ! I laughed hard at this

Please forgive me for clubbing MH12 & MH14 together but habits are such. These days if you visit RTO they have started calling MH-14 as pune west, MH-53 as pune south and MH-54 as pune north. Even real estate markets have started calling PCMC as pune-west so an honest mistake on my part.

Punekars are indeed busy hence the term “sheth”

There’s nothing wrong with Wagon-R. I was simply amazed by the sheer number of them on roads. I had never seen so many wagon-r. My colleagues who are born Punekars like yourself often joke that Wagon-R is national car of Pune.
BleueNinja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2023, 03:05   #2185
BHPian

Well folks we made it!

Pune ranks 6th amongst the most congested city in the world in 2022.

Pune ranks 2nd in India.

To quote an article.

Quote:
On an average, Punekars driving during peak hours spend an extra 193 hours, i.e., 8 days, 1 hour in traffic each year. The city’s heaviest congestion (93%) was recorded on August 2, 2019, while its lowest congestion (30%) was recorded on October 27, 2019.

Official report link with detailed breakdown :
https://www.tomtom.com/traffic-index/pune-traffic/

News link:
https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/tr...-10099961.html
BleueNinja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2023, 07:41   #2186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleueNinja View Post
Pune ranks 6th amongst the most congested city in the world in 2022.
Wait what?
London is the worst?
Despite all the underground and other means of public transport?
I also hear, they have excellent infrastructure as well as stringent driving tests to get a license?

Haven't we been told for years, that public transport/metros are the solution to all congestion problems?
Old 20th February 2023, 02:31   #2187
BHPian

And then we have this ... photo taken at a Pune Metro construction site in Balewadi.

Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-no-branch.jpg
Old 20th February 2023, 05:36   #2188
BHPian

Since we are Pune bashing, might as well wash my dirty hands in the dirtier still Mula Mutha rivers...

Almost two decades ago when I had just learnt driving, and had driven on the then brand new expressway from Mumbai to Pune, I was feeling pretty happy with myself having successfully reached Pune. But as soon as we got off the highway at Chandni Chowk, the way two wheelers swarmed us, promptly got my blood pressure high enough that I stopped the car right in the middle of the road and my father took over, laughing at the irony of it all.

Few years down the line, riding my motorcycles in Pune, Punekars always looked at me like I was crazy for wearing my helmet in their city, and even blocking their way by stopping at a STOP signal. One bike borne gentleman informed me in the sweetest manner with choicest bad words that I would probably die soon, because I was riding dangerously. The abuses were interesting enough that I started laughing rather than feeling offended.

The best part was when a traffic cop caught me, fully geared, including helmet, for having a Mumbai number plate. After all papers were found to be correct, he actually had the gall to inform me to not wear the helmet if I didn't want to be caught by cops in the future.

Yet another time, I parked my car at Mangalwarpeth in a 4 WHEELER parking, only to return a couple of hours later to find the car literally surrounded by 2 wheelers, it actually took me half an hour of huffing and puffing in the noon April sun to manage to extract my car from the madness of the PETHs.

Traffic sense has improved in the last 10 or so years, and with better road conditions, its almost bearable, but I do feel for the outsiders who have to endure it on a day to day basis...

Oh Pune, what a lovely city with nutty traffic.

Last edited by kosjam : 20th February 2023 at 05:41. Reason: remembered another incident
kosjam is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2023, 17:36   #2189
BHPian

To add some more masala, Pune traffic is quite civil as compared to Bangalore and Hyderabad. Mumbai, no doubt, is better than Pune in traffic context.

I have driven in Hyderabad and Bangalore in peak hour and its a nightmare. Bangalore more so.

On the other hand, I will say, each region has its own quirks in terms of traffic and road manners. People local to that place anticipate and react quite normally accordingly. People not used to that will obviously get irritated earlier than the locals.

PS - Above is just my opinion. Not shaming any place here.
Old 27th February 2023, 16:00   #2190
Senior - BHPian

No one is as Punekar as I am. Mine is the 4th generation from my family, from both mother and father's side. We have been in Pune for eternity. So I have seen the traffic go from "Aah ok" to "What the hell" in last 10-15 years.

Although I never jump any signal, do not drive on wrong side or break any other rule, I look like a complete idiot on the road. In one auto rikshaw driver's words "Ha signal kon baghto (Who even looks at this signal)". The local PMC buses don't allow to obey any traffic rules. If you stop at a signal in front of a PMC bus, they will pressurize you to jump the signal as if it is some kind of ragging. I have developed a thick layer of skin, so I don't budge to these morons.

So yes, Pune traffic is unruly in most places and most (90%) don't care for traffic rules or others' lives or even their own lives.

All said and done, whenever I visit Nashik city, usually once in a quarter, I feel that Pune traffic is not that bad afterall. And my wife who is brought up and educated in Nashik, agrees with me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks