Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2011, 16:17   #346
BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

The culverts being built on the NDA road are to divert the rain water away from the road during rains. If you recollect, just an hour of heavy downpour would cause all the mud/dirt from the hilly side to flow down and accumulate on the road.

Just opposite the police chowky, they've created a concrete channel which will collect the water from the hill to the nearest culvert. Notice the big pile of pipes kept there. I was talking to one of the contractors few weeks ago. Apparently the plan is to get this water to flow down and eventually accumulate at the Pashan lake.

I am for all his fancy civil stuff, just want level roads. The half done culverts are not flush with the road surface - so you have these speed limiters followed closely by the humongous speed breaker/crossing and the next culvert and so on...
Old 22nd September 2011, 10:30   #347
Senior - BHPian

Do we pay tax for this? Why should these people not use public transport instead?

Ministers bat for 150% increase in car spend - The Times of India

At a time when the state's revenue collection has fallen behind the target, Maharashtra's ministers want the government to spend more on their official cars.
At a state cabinet meeting on Wednesday, the ministers aggressively pushed for issuance of orders to increase the spending limit for purchase of fancier cars.
Following a demand made by ministers, the government had agreed to raise the spending limit from the existing Rs 6 lakh to Rs 15 lakh-a 150% hike. No government resolution (an official communication) was, however, issued in this regard.
Old 22nd September 2011, 11:13   #348
Senior - BHPian

Is there some sort of road widening work going on, on the bypass? Today, while coming to office, post Praj, there was some sort of levelling work carried out till Sus Rd bridge. To me, it looked to be some road widening work only. Why else, would they use bulldozers to clear what was predominently a defence land?

@Selfdrive: Ridiculous move! Why not start charging these officials for fuel? They should feel the pinch too.
Old 22nd September 2011, 11:36   #349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
@Selfdrive: Ridiculous move! Why not start charging these officials for fuel? They should feel the pinch too.

Forget *beeping* fuel Swanand. Nothing should be given for free, definitely not free cars when we are paying taxes through our nose?

better ask them to travel using ST buses or Asiad. Free seats and preferential reservation can be given to them (with fixed seating on the last bench). I would not mind that, but a 15 L car for free. Heck no! Even the 6L budget should be cancelled.
This is official corruption; diverting funds for non productive purposes. Who cares about a minister's spondylitis when there are scores dying on our roads every day? In any case dont they earn enough to buy their own cars? If they have their white Q5s/ equivalent why depend on state funds for cars?
/end rant. For now

Did you see the road widening only on one side? If so, perhaps they are working on making it a 6 lane road but will have to move the divider. Dont they solve the wrong/ non priority issue first?
Old 23rd September 2011, 11:15   #350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Now they built anothe rone at Mryutyunjaya temple chowk, someone told me its going to have lifts too. Not sure if the comment was sarcastic though
Bala, the information you received, seems to be true. I did check the work last evening, and indeed, it does look like they are building lifts to use the ped overbridge. There seems to be a block built that would probably house the elevator.

Also, yes did check it today morning too. It does look like road widening work on the bypass. Although, this is being done only on the north bound road.

Last edited by Swanand Inamdar : 23rd September 2011 at 11:17.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 11:33   #351
Senior - BHPian

Keeping my eyes open on my daily commute, I noticed this on the Raja Bahadur Mill road (Le Meridien side of Pune station).

Immediately after Le Meridien towards Bund Garden/ Wadia college there is a railway overbridge with an exit from the rail station. Right at the base of this overbridge I have noticed a few traffic cops with their wireless sets and another device (though I dont know what it is/ does, I suspect its a speed gun). For the last two days, nothing happened when I passed them.

This morning I was on my bike and a cop waves over to stop some vehicle. I slow down but he indicates that he is signalling to some other vehicle behind me (and asks me to proceed). There were no other cops at the RTO signal so it is impossible they got a wireless alert from the previous signal about an offender. Is it likely that they are monitoring overspeeding or rashly driven vehicles on this stretch? anyone noticed this anywhere else in Pune?

If yes, yay to that!

Quote:
Bala, the information you received, seems to be true. I did check the work last evening, and indeed, it does look like they are building lifts to use the ped overbridge. There seems to be a block built that would probably house the elevator.
I hope them lifts have backup. If not, they should not work on electricity but a manual pulley to be used by people who have stronger arms than legs

I hope its not used as a toy by people just to go up/ down and that its fate is different from the escalator that was installed at Pune rail station long ago

Last edited by selfdrive : 23rd September 2011 at 11:36.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 14:03   #352
Senior - BHPian

^I cross that stretch in front of Le Meredian one in a week. I will try and look out. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 23rd September 2011, 15:28   #353
BHPian

Quote:
@Monaro: Why 5-6 years ago? I remember it to be like that, as late as 2009. Ok, the aramment area's speed breakers were slightly justified. But those hills they built in Bavdhan were absolutely not! They ruined it with those hills (breakers) and now the storm water storage. Why cant they plan before hand?

Thankfully the road leading to NDA (post Garden Court) is still a delight, barring a few breakers which, were a necessasity, IMO. The twisties are amazing fun to drive. Lets hope they leave that road as is.
Mate I totally agree. Those days when bavdhan - pashan road was an absolute delight!
Up until early 2009, this used to be the test track for me and my brother for our Kawasaki ZRX II.
Those hills have killed it!

I was referring to the pashan road in Armament area, a few months back they have put up a number of smallies (small speed breakers), which is again murdered the idea of cruising along on a lazy saturday/sunday afternoon drive.

BTW how do you guys cope up in the stretch from Chandni Chowk - Paud Road - Kothrud, while coming home everyday from work? And that too during peak hours? The jam at the Bus Depot sure adds to the melee of PMT buses, pvt. buses, tempos, rickshaws, 2 wheelers, cars & pedestrians.

I hope the Paud road works (whatever they are doing..) gets finished early. As you said, that entire stretch has become a nightmare.
Old 23rd September 2011, 15:55   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
BTW how do you guys cope up in the stretch from Chandni Chowk - Paud Road - Kothrud, while coming home everyday from work? And that too during peak hours? The jam at the Bus Depot sure adds to the melee of PMT buses, pvt. buses, tempos, rickshaws, 2 wheelers, cars & pedestrians.

I hope the Paud road works (whatever they are doing..) gets finished early. As you said, that entire stretch has become a nightmare.
How do I cope with it? Simple. I dont take that route while getting back. I rather go straight from Chandani Chowk till Warje and then turn left, thus coming from Dahanukar Colony side. Sure, its a 4 kms detour, but what the heck. I'd rather enjoy the extra 4 kms than waiting in absolute rubbish called traffic.
Old 23rd September 2011, 18:14   #355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How do I cope with it? Simple. I dont take that route while getting back. I rather go straight from Chandani Chowk till Warje and then turn left, thus coming from Dahanukar Colony side. Sure, its a 4 kms detour, but what the heck. I'd rather enjoy the extra 4 kms than waiting in absolute rubbish called traffic.
Swanand - I hope you are referring to the traffic at the Kinara junction. Because otherwise on that stretch on most days do not encounter any traffic. Though it is not smooth sailing and have to be careful at the bus depot junction.

And i don't go till Kinara and take the left turn before that.
Old 25th September 2011, 22:18   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Immediately after Le Meridien towards Bund Garden/ Wadia college there is a railway overbridge with an exit from the rail station. Right at the base of this overbridge I have noticed a few traffic cops with their wireless sets and another device (though I dont know what it is/ does, I suspect its a speed gun). For the last two days, nothing happened when I passed them.

This morning I was on my bike and a cop waves over to stop some vehicle. I slow down but he indicates that he is signalling to some other vehicle behind me (and asks me to proceed). There were no other cops at the RTO signal so it is impossible they got a wireless alert from the previous signal about an offender. Is it likely that they are monitoring overspeeding or rashly driven vehicles on this stretch? anyone noticed this anywhere else in Pune?

If yes, yay to that!
It`s very good if at all they are doing this! It may sound rude but here goes some facts -

a. Mundhwa crossing till the Kalyani nagar bridge - less than 05% (yes FIVE) street lights are ON and add to it - buffaloes crossing roads etc at night and with low beam (we are Team-BHPians !) its very difficult to notice them.

b. Tube lights in National Highways ??? First time for me ! Even the residential areas in big cities without Octroi etc are using Halogen lights from 10yrs ago !
With the Octroi and all other taxes whats stopping them (Pune Municipal corporation) from using proper street lights ?

c. Have you ever been to the Race Course area around 05 - 06am ? (yes I know its more or less dark during that time!) One should see the sincerity and dedication of the Traffic Cops or whoever it is!

They stand with a red flag blocking the roads - and why so ?
I am serious, believe it or not - just for the Horses to cross the road and go towards the Race Course! Wish they are as serious in their act towards the tax paying general public during peak office hours traffic at least !

Last edited by AvonA7 : 25th September 2011 at 22:45. Reason: edit...
Old 26th September 2011, 14:16   #357
Mik
BHPian

I have a query regarding travel times and distances. This is required for a house decision i am planning to make.
What would be a general travel time on a bike from wagholi to hinjewadi ?
Google maps charts a route from Nagar road--Old Highway--Dapodi-Hinjewadi at 30.8km

My understanding is that most IT companies are present in Hinjewadi and some in Kharadi. I will be shifting back to pune in the next few years and am thinking of buying a flat in Wagholi which will be ready in the next three years. Any BFSI/BFSI focussed companies in east pune? I know only of Sungard and HSBC.

EDIT: Also, request info on a Hadapsar to Hinjewadi commute by bike? google says 35 km but most of it over the highway.

(Mods: Slightly OT question but made sense keeping it in this thread only. Please move to Real estate thread if required)

Last edited by Mik : 26th September 2011 at 14:24. Reason: Added a question
Old 26th September 2011, 15:01   #358
BHPian

Personally - it's at least an hour of commute time - on a 2 wheeler. This considering today's traffic and traffic sense. We know where that is headed.

Couple or so years down the line - could be an altogether different story.

Why Wagholi though? Have you given the HJW/Wakad/Ravet area a thought? The rates are similar to that of Wagholi
Old 26th September 2011, 15:01   #359
Senior - BHPian

@Mik: Mate, you are talking about two ends of the town! Wagholi to Hinjewadi is a long distance. Well may not seem in terms of kms, but travel time would make you think twice. Let me put it this way, it is like commuting from Noida to Gurgaon on a daily basis! That's minus the metro/flyovers and e-ways.

The min. commute time (one way) would be at least an hour and a half, or even more depending on the traffic. Thats only till you reach the start of Hinjewadi. From Wakad bridge onwards, its anywhere between 15 to 45 mins to your office (whichever you choose).

My suggestion, finalise on a company first, then choose the place to stay.
Old 26th September 2011, 15:36   #360
Mik
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
Personally - it's at least an hour of commute time - on a 2 wheeler. This considering today's traffic and traffic sense. We know where that is headed.

Couple or so years down the line - could be an altogether different story.

Why Wagholi though? Have you given the HJW/Wakad/Ravet area a thought? The rates are similar to that of Wagholi
Thanks. Ideally i would prefer to live in a place from where i could commute to both hinjewadi and kharadi. My wife has Sungard/HSBC(kharadi/kalyaninagar) in her radar and i am game for any BFSI.
Also, would want a gated community with some bells and whistles (tennis court and a good view being of prime importance) and atleast a decent balcony with the master bedroom(a rarity in pune -- guy wanting balconies and terrace to increase loading )
This, i can only get at the outskirts at my budget i.e the poor side of 36-38lakhs. Ravet (om tropica) is a decent option too, i guess. I wonder how much time would a Ravet to Kharadi drive take ?
Any other thoughts would be welcome.

Quote:
@Mik: Mate, you are talking about two ends of the town! Wagholi to Hinjewadi is a long distance. .... My suggestion, finalise on a company first, then choose the place to stay.
Thanks Swanand. I am looking at booking a house in Pune. Actual movement is still two years away. Have seen the rates climb upwards for the last two years and would like to stop obsessing about it by taking the plunge
Ofcourse a 1.5 to 2 hour commute is impractical ! I will need to think harder about this now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks