Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2011, 12:19   #451
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
This morning:
- Did anyone see the Dzire (MH14 CC xxxx) that has climbed over the divider near Kothrud bus depot? It is positioned in the direction of Rambag colony/ Deccan, so I assume it went up there while trying to avoid some other vehicle (changing lanes) at high speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Yes Bala, I noticed it as the acident happened in front of my eyes.
I had gone to drop the wifey to her bus stop and saw this happening.
The DZire guy was overtaking some vehicle at high speeds and then he climbed the divider. Looks like a lot of damage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Ohh yeah, saw that one. All fluids had leaked off from the looks of it, and judging by the distance it had traveled over the divider, looks like the speed was decently high too.
No sign of the driver though. And there was a mini traffic jam because people were stopping to stare.
Swanand so you saw the accident. I was wondering how it happended. Overtaking on that stretch at high speeds is asking for trouble with so many cuts in the divider.

Pic below for others who might be wondering what is being referred to.

Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-img00110.jpg
Old 14th October 2011, 12:31   #452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Swanand so you saw the accident. I was wondering how it happended. Overtaking on that stretch at high speeds is asking for trouble with so many cuts in the divider.

Pic below for others who might be wondering what is being referred to.
Oh that certainly looks horrible. I saw it from the other side and it didnt look half as bad. Just thought that it climbed the divider. There was a sizeable crowd where you clicked the pic from, but it didnt seem a recent accident and there was no one around needing any help so I moved on.

The problem is there are a lot of people cutting through the dividers and no one has the patience to stop for them. They eventually turn into the next lane to the right. I presume this guy must have been speeding away and then tried to swerve when a bigger vehicle (maybe a bus) came into his/ her lane.
I hope there are no serious injuries/ fatalities.
Old 14th October 2011, 12:48   #453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Oh that certainly looks horrible. I saw it from the other side and it didnt look half as bad. Just thought that it climbed the divider. There was a sizeable crowd where you clicked the pic from, but it didnt seem a recent accident and there was no one around needing any help so I moved on.

The problem is there are a lot of people cutting through the dividers and no one has the patience to stop for them. They eventually turn into the next lane to the right. I presume this guy must have been speeding away and then tried to swerve when a bigger vehicle (maybe a bus) came into his/ her lane.
I hope there are no serious injuries/ fatalities.

Whatever it is, I hope there is one addition for good drivers on road. Hope this accident taught a lesson or two for those involved!
Old 14th October 2011, 13:07   #454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Whatever it is, I hope there is one addition for good drivers on road. Hope this accident taught a lesson or two for those involved!

I wish so too. In fact I think they should leave that car there for some time as a reminder to other overspeeding morons on the road. In any case it is not really blocking any traffic. At least not more than the other issues on the same road!
Old 14th October 2011, 14:32   #455
BHPian

Was witness to not 1, not 2 but 3 accidents on way to work today...

1. Praj/HEMRL merge to NH4 : I was waiting at the edge of NH4 waiting to cross over the southbound lanes to go towards HJW. An auto was alongside. There was a gap in traffic, but I could see an Innova approaching at a good speed. The auto driver thought he could clear the road. Unfortunately no, with squealing brakes, the Innova stopped but not before hitting the auto broadside.The auto toppled over. When I parked and went to upright the auto, the lone elderly passenger was dazed but uninjured. The auto driver/Innova driver on heaving this sigh of relief immediately got into a shouting match.
2. While the above was going on, I returned back to my Xylo, was about to start off when - BANG!. An Alto and a tempo traveller with front fenders locked. Apparently, both were busy watching the earlier incident that they brushed. Another war of words there. I left the place at that point.
3. Opp McD in HJW waiting to turn left towards Ph1/2. Traffic was stopped to allow the vehicles coming from Mezza9 side to merge. When our turn came, a biker from Mezza9 tried to enter this stream and was knocked by a 3 wheeler goods carrier. Another war of words!

Where is this leading to...
Old 14th October 2011, 15:06   #456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
Was witness to not 1, not 2 but 3 accidents on way to work today...

1. Praj/HEMRL merge to NH4 : I was waiting at the edge of NH4 waiting to cross over the southbound lanes to go towards HJW. An auto was alongside. There was a gap in traffic, but I could see an Innova approaching at a good speed. The auto driver thought he could clear the road. Unfortunately no, with squealing brakes, the Innova stopped but not before hitting the auto broadside.The auto toppled over. When I parked and went to upright the auto, the lone elderly passenger was dazed but uninjured. The auto driver/Innova driver on heaving this sigh of relief immediately got into a shouting match.

Not a good way to start the day i should say. Innova and Auto sounded really scary. Good to read that no one was hurt. The passenger must be thanking his stars.
Old 17th October 2011, 12:12   #457
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday night I decided to check how far I can get without honking in Pune. So on my drive from my home to Pune Station , drove sedately , with just my parking lights and no honking. Or tried to.
My resolve was broken on FC Road, as a lady with an L-boarded red i-10 pulled without looking (how could she look, both her mirrors were folded anyway ). Had to let her know she was way way way too close and not even knowing it. Not that she came to know even after that, because plugged in her ears were white earplugs from a music player. D'uh.
That was the only incident though.
People on the road (motorists and pedestrians) dont take a sedately driven non-honking car very seriously. They step in, cut through or dart across as and when it takes their fancy. They take non-honking/flashing/high-beams as a sign of weakness which can be exploited with impunity.
Old 17th October 2011, 12:23   #458
Senior - BHPian

Ojas: We pretty much had the same resolution this weekend. I tried the same, and I could only get to Solaris club from my house! Even a stone's throw is further than Solaris, from my house. Why? two bikers had stopped in the middle of the lane. They needed to chat and pulling over to a side was certainly against their principles.

But the advantage was - a black Superb with an MH14 rego. People do tend to move away you know .
Old 17th October 2011, 12:29   #459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
People on the road (motorists and pedestrians) dont take a sedately driven non-honking car very seriously. They step in, cut through or dart across as and when it takes their fancy. They take non-honking/flashing/high-beams as a sign of weakness which can be exploited with impunity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
But the advantage was - a black Superb with an MH14 rego. People do tend to move away you know .
To be blunt, in Pune city I find the MH14 drivers have scant regard for other vehicles compared to the MH12 ones. No lane discipline whatsoever. This morning a MH14 guy overtook me at least 4 times on Karve road while swinging away between lanes. Without indicators. With all that rash driving, I was still able to overtake him 5 times without honking and staying in my lane. I lost him around Garware bridge when he found his match in an Indicab and they wer swaying away to glory between their lanes.

And no it wasnt a black Superb

btw, Swanand one of these days things are going to get ugly on that Club Solaris stretch. I hope a tbhpian is not there then. The other option is that 3 school street parallel to the Solaris one, but full of school traffic during the day. And for some reason it is very badly lit.

Last edited by selfdrive : 17th October 2011 at 12:32.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2011, 12:40   #460
Senior - BHPian

I so want to buy a White Fortuner/White Scorpio with an MH 14 plate in devnagari, with a tricolour strip on the numberplate and an orange flag on the rear glass with impossibly dark tints.
I will then accelerate really really close to offending ricks/cabbies/yobos on two wheels just for fun, for two hours every weekend. This will help me mark a tick against "Get Cheap Ego kicks" in my to-do list.

BTW, I was also using my Garmin Nuvi 265W loaded with Satguide maps yesterday to check for speedo error , and it showed some weird things. For example, it showed the base of the Paud Road flyover exits on the LB Shastri road. It quickly corrected itself when I actually got there, but still.
Further, on the BMCC Road going towards FC Road, it still asked me to "Turn Left on LB Shastri Road". How is the performance of other maps in Pune city?
Anybody checked google maps/MapmyIndia/Garmin/Ovi maps while driving for their % of accuracy for Pune?

PS : I have a 3kph speedo error, just incase anyone was wondering.
Old 17th October 2011, 13:01   #461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I so want to buy a White Fortuner/White Scorpio with an MH 14 plate in devnagari, with a tricolour strip on the numberplate and an orange flag on the rear glass with impossibly dark tints.
I will then accelerate really really close to offending ricks/cabbies/yobos on two wheels just for fun, for two hours every weekend. This will help me mark a tick against "Get Cheap Ego kicks" in my to-do list.
yeah, there are pre requisites to get there. You just cant get it like that!
All white clothes, rayban aviators, thick gold chains and a mouth large enough to hold/ spew a litre of pan/ gutkha spit. NOM, just noting my observations.
Old 17th October 2011, 13:41   #462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anybody checked google maps/MapmyIndia/Garmin/Ovi maps while driving for their % of accuracy for Pune?

PS : I have a 3kph speedo error, just incase anyone was wondering.
Google maps are generally accurate.

I have a complimentary Garmin for symbian given to me by a friend. That too has mostly accurate maps but did not check for recent changes, obviously.

Ovi maps suck. They show the road connecting the NDA-Pashan road to NH4 near BHEL as F.C road

GPS cannot show accurate speed, if you are wondering. It depends upon the vertical angle changes without calculating the changes in elevation, so there could be errors.
Old 19th October 2011, 09:50   #463
BHPian

Have you guys noticed some kind of road widening work that seems to have started from Praj towards HJW. On south-bound lanes, something related to JNNURM related message has been painted on the barrier wall(?) that's built towards Pashan lake side.

I also noticed an ARAI board indicating some work in progress. Invariably - all this road widening will result in a bottleneck as one approaches the Pashan-Sus overpass, where the passage will be restricted to 2 lanes on each side.
Old 19th October 2011, 10:29   #464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
Have you guys noticed some kind of road widening work that seems to have started from Praj towards HJW. On south-bound lanes, something related to JNNURM related message has been painted on the barrier wall(?) that's built towards Pashan lake side.

I also noticed an ARAI board indicating some work in progress. Invariably - all this road widening will result in a bottleneck as one approaches the Pashan-Sus overpass, where the passage will be restricted to 2 lanes on each side.
I suspect it to be the service road for the villagers who dart on the wrong side of the highway. I wonder how many succumbed to the fancy idea. The other day a bike was darting into my way as I was about to take a left there and he was giving me dirty looks for god knows what!
Old 19th October 2011, 10:55   #465
Senior - BHPian

There is a board that has been put up that says "Road Widening" in progress. That is undertaken by NHAI. My guess is, it would sure lead to a bottleneck situation near the Sus rd overpass.

Even on the North bound road, the road widening work can be seen from Sadanand hotel (the new one). That goes on till Sus overpass and continues again after that.

A few weeks ago, I did happen to read an article in the papers, saying a 6 lane road on that bypass has been sanctioned.

Most Viewed