Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2011, 23:17   #586
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

About an hour ago, I was driving home from work. Just as I left the highway and was going down the exit (which is a one way) from chandani chowk, I found myself face to face with a Wagon R (Beige-green, MH 12 BG,not in the best of nicks) , coming up from the wrong side. I rolled down my window and when was about to pass him, said in Marathi "Kaalta ka, wrong side ahe hi" translated as "dont you understand, this is the wrong side".
Only to be met by a guttural "Aaaeeeeeeee..." from the fat lowlife driving it. He slammed on his brakes causing his wheels to lock up, glared at me and said "Chal pal..Jivanta rahaychay na..?" (dont you want to live?).

Last edited by sajo : 7th December 2011 at 23:19.
Old 8th December 2011, 09:47   #587
Senior - BHPian

^^ Baap re "Jivant rahayachay naa..." That was atrocious. These lowlifes are really going lower day by day. Its scary and sad at the same time. Unfortunately, we can't do much rather than let go the jackass. Ojas, I have learnt it the hard way that it is better to keep mum about all this nonsense and move along, rather than ranting.
Old 8th December 2011, 10:28   #588
BHPian

I think that is general state of affairs these days in Pune and around.

Many of the 'Bhumiputra' from around Pune, particularly from Mulshi area, suddenly got windfall selling their ancestral lands to builders. That money has also brought in arrogance and apathy towards law of land. A belief (many times true) that they can buy anything including police and govt officials.

Very sad.
CANPUSH is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 10:46   #589
Senior - BHPian

A pile up just before Wakad OCTROI post at around 10 AM. Two red swifts, an Innova, a Ritz, an Indica and could have been a Figo and another Vista if it were not for my practice to maintain safe distance and my last second instinct to swerve right (as I saw this vista zooming in its size in my IRVM). luckily no injuries for anyone.

Considering that vista's braking distance is around 30% more than Figo's, I thought I was in a fix, but swerving right did help him and he in turn swerved a bit left.

The Ritz guy was seen swerving through gaps seconds before he ended up there and in fact he just swerved in right just before he hit the Innova at full speed, his cooling system is a mess with liquids all over the road.

And the Innova is a bully who is often seen intimidating people (I remember it by its registration number 8019), I do not see any mistake by the first Swift guy, he just slowed down when he was rear ended by the other Swift.

Traffic could be a mess as there is a broken down lorry on the left side of the road just a few meters ahead.

Last edited by anilisanil : 8th December 2011 at 10:52.
anilisanil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 10:50   #590
Distinguished - BHPian

Damn that sounds bad. I got in by 9 am today so missed that. Glad you're OK, anil.
noopster is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 13:40   #591
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
(If you want to stay in Pune, you should get used to honking, otherwise shift to Latur).
It was great to read that you kept your cool and found this funny.
On a side note, there has been several occasions I have been questioned by annoyed pedestrians on why I am not using the horn. I guess they get edgy when a car sneaks up from behind without any noise.
Old 8th December 2011, 14:13   #592
Senior - BHPian

Hello guys,

A friend of mine from KPIT sent me the following invite

Quote:
Dear Mr. anilisanil,
Warm greetings from KPIT Cummins!

KPIT Cummins welcomes you to participate in iD8 – a focused ideation colloquium to learn the consumer perception of the automotive features.

The colloquium includes series of intriguing focused group discussions on technologies including Navigation, Telematics, Automatic Transmission, Body Electronics, Vehicle Security and In-Vehicle Entertainment.

We cordially invite you to participate in these series of discussions which would be conducted from 19th to 21st December 2011 at KPIT Cummins campus in Hinjewadi, Pune. We are putting together the detailed agenda and will get back to you shortly on the same.

We look forward to seeing you at iD8.
Thanks!
I will be attending one of those sessions as they do seem to be interesting. We are invited to understand the user's perspective. So guys from Hinjewadi (or otherwise) we can have a short meet of sorts in one of these sessions, if any of you wish to.

Attached is the agenda, if anyone of you is interested PM me.

kpitAgenda.pdf

iD8_Focus Group discussion on Car technologies.pdf

Last edited by anilisanil : 8th December 2011 at 14:26.
anilisanil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 14:18   #593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
About an hour ago, I was driving home from work. ..?" (dont you want to live?).
Ojas, these guys have actually tested my patience.
Here's what I do (especially in the dark). When I see anyone coming in the opposite direction (wrong side), I make sure I am headed on straight onto that guy. High beam full on, and just before the impact, move right. Scare the guts outta him. If he does react, well, then the 1.9 TDi plays its best. Slot in a lower gear and bugger off!
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 14:22   #594
BHPian

Got rear ended by a guy on an ancient Kinetic Honda as I braked to avoid a swift which suddenly decided to start off & swerve in the middle of the road.

This was all at a sedentary pace (I must be doing 35 - 40 Kmph) & thanks to my good brakes came to a halt at a safe distance only to be hit from behind.

Instead of apologizing the guy tells me that it was not his fault & that he was going at 20 - 30 only & had braked for a long distance before hitting the car..

With nothing more to say to him except that if such was the case then he should probably get his brakes cheked.. I left as had to get to work but had a scar on the rear bumper of my new car..
Old 8th December 2011, 18:01   #595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
.... Just hoping there is no behind the scenes damage!
Went by Shetty's Garage at Baner yesterday evening. The bumper is intact and none of the mounting hooks are broken so just a matter of fixing it back with the button thingies. No repainting required but couple of places requiring touch up.

BUT - the impact has been absorbed in the spare wheel well where there is visible crumpling. The mechanic was quite knowledgable to find that out right away. Some heating and re-bending required, a one day job. Total cost - about a grand!

Considering the smashed rear number plate and associated rick fare when I drop and pick up the car, 1500 Rs should cover it nicely
mmxylorider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 18:51   #596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
...On a side note, there has been several occasions I have been questioned by annoyed pedestrians on why I am not using the horn. I guess they get edgy when a car sneaks up from behind without any noise.
Not only the pedestrains, even many two-wheelers (or other vehicles) get annoyed if you pass them without honking even in multi-laned roads. So I have started giving short beeps whenever I pass someone, just to let them know that I am going to pass them. I do not like to do it, but do it often.
pjbiju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 20:49   #597
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Here's what I do (especially in the dark). When I see anyone coming in the opposite direction (wrong side), I make sure I am headed on straight onto that guy.
Swa, I used to do this very often before. But time has tempered my desire to "teach".

But guys, one thing I have noticed and no shame in writing about.

If you are driving a hatch = zero road respect.

Big car (Skoda, Toyota, Honda)= Better road respect

Beemers, Merc = Much better road respect

SUV = Hahahaha
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 11:02   #598
Senior - BHPian

Dotty, gotta agree to that wholeheartedly. SUV's, get much more road respect than any other cars. Doesnt matter if you drive a 540 or a Range Rover. Everybody actually moves aside to give way!
If the car is MH14 registered, even better .

MMxylo: Considering the impact, the damage seems minimal. Have you taken care of the bumper? A grand is hardly any expense. Good that the TT guy paid for it.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 12:48   #599
BHPian

Quote:
Dotty, gotta agree to that wholeheartedly. SUV's, get much more road respect than any other cars. Doesnt matter if you drive a 540 or a Range Rover. Everybody actually moves aside to give way!
If the car is MH14 registered, even better .
+1 to this. When I am in my Xylo (MH14 plates!), I definitely get better respect than when I am in the Estilo.

Slow moving traffic in front gives way on couple of jabs of the horn (OEM replaced with Roots). During late evening drives, a 2 second flash of the twin Hella 100W fog lamps is sufficient. I'm loving it!

Quote:
MMxylo: Considering the impact, the damage seems minimal. Have you taken care of the bumper? A grand is hardly any expense. Good that the TT guy paid for it.
Planning to drop the car tomorrow and pick up on Sunday. Hopefully some of the earlier scratches on the bumper will also get touched up. Not getting the car on road till I get at least the number plate fixed, that is planned for today.
mmxylorider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 18:30   #600
BHPian

Had gone to Chinchwad earlier today. To my pleasant surprise (read un-informed!) , the Chaphekar Chk flyover is operational. Nicely built, it has made crossing that stretch a 1 minute activity.

The construction quality is also great. Unlike other flyovers where the section joints are mini speed breakers, this one has joints that are flush with the road surface making the ride (yes, I was on a bike) much better.

Even the approach and farside slopes are decent and not steep unlike a lot of other flyovers.

Any idea who constructed this one?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks