Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2011, 09:42   #631
Team-BHP Support

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
That means, we need to to just step out of the house and go straight to the city. Wow.

Folks in the building are not too happy as they feel that traffic noise will increase. Well, you cant please everyone.
That road will eventually merge into the airport road, making it a good corridor for reaching the airport from Shivaji Nagar.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 10:54   #632
Senior - BHPian

That is actually smart thinking by the authorities. Not only is the Nagar Road and the new airport road being worked on, but they are also making new roads to reach the airport in lesser amount of time.
Old 15th December 2011, 16:07   #633
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Most of you know that the new Sangamwadi bridge road ends in a T junction which either goes to Yerwada or Holkar Bridge. That T junction is soon going to be a 4 way intersection as soon as they open a brand new road. This new road will essentially be the extension of the Sangamwadi bridge road and will terminate at the Jail Road. It goes right next to our buildings.

That means, we need to to just step out of the house and go straight to the city. Wow.

Folks in the building are not too happy as they feel that traffic noise will increase. Well, you cant please everyone.
Where does it end exactly? By maps it seems it'll join the road "Dr. Ambedkar Path" just before the golf course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
That is actually smart thinking by the authorities. Not only is the Nagar Road and the new airport road being worked on, but they are also making new roads to reach the airport in lesser amount of time.
Is the current airport going to remain the final one? There were so many reports & updates of a new international (quality/level) airport coming up somewhere else, as this is overloaded and still belongs to the airforce. Last I heard was one coming up near magarpatta!

Last edited by ninjatalli : 15th December 2011 at 16:10.
Old 15th December 2011, 16:12   #634
Senior - BHPian

Ninja, around that road only. Its still under construction though. Should be complete in a few months.

Is the new Holkar bridge operational? Been ages since I drove on it.
Old 15th December 2011, 16:17   #635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most of you know that the new Sangamwadi bridge road ends in a T junction which either goes to Yerwada or Holkar Bridge. That T junction is soon going to be a 4 way intersection as soon as they open a brand new road. This new road will essentially be the extension of the Sangamwadi bridge road and will terminate at the Jail Road. It goes right next to our buildings.
Thanks. They have been working on that road since 2010-11 (I used to cross that junction till March).
Any idea when this road will be open?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
I am not sure if this has been discussed in details in this thread .... the problem arises especially when driving after sunset (east end of Pune) on the Mundhwa- Kalyani Nagar/KP - Nagar Road - Kharadi Bypass.

Somebody familiar with this stretch won't be surprised to suddenly notice - buffaloes (jet black), elephant (black), camel sometimes(color doesn't matter considering the size/movement/speed) tractors/trucks/all those construction related vehicles (w/o any taillights).
Hey, this is my daily route -route from EON to Yerwada . I travel around 6 PM, but yet to spot any wild life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
A colleague (not someone I know) passed away in an accident in Alka theatre chowk on Saturday morning (4am).
Sad to hear this.
I have read similar posts in the past about some junctions which are dangerous. Can we mark such problem spots on Google maps?

Quote:
Except for the ramp on Nagar road which takes you to the airport, I don't see any other work ongoing on the Nagar road (till the Indian Oil petrol pump). The road condition after monsoons has been the same (maybe gone from bad to worse) with lot of undulations and lots of depressions en-route. I don't experience much in my Cedia, but when I am in my Zen, I get a perfect report of road condition.
Old 15th December 2011, 16:24   #636
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ninja, around that road only. Its still under construction though. Should be complete in a few months.

Is the new Holkar bridge operational? Been ages since I drove on it.
only the one part which was ready since 6 months ago. The other section is still undergoing finishing touches. Plus they have dug up the road opposite the BEG military area - probably a road extension. I hope they don't cut the lovely trees on the Khadki side. They already did to a portion when they started work on the Holkar bridge.

Btw, the Pune administration seems to be on a trees cutting spree - even the minor trees/shurbs on the Nh4-express highway from Indira college upto the junction (NH4/Expressway) have been cut at several places to probably make space for road extension. So is the case on the Sanghvi Chowk - Rakshak Chowk patch (ahead of Aundh).

Sad.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 15th December 2011 at 16:25.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 18:24   #637
Senior - BHPian

I, for one, really dont know as to how are they going to work around the extension of the NH4, around the Citrus hotel underpass and the Wakad flyover. There is no gap left on either side of the road that would allow extension.
Same's the case on the north bound side post the Sus Rd overbridge.

The work near Praj is on in full swing, where a part of the hillock needs to be broken into, to make space for an extra lane.
Old 15th December 2011, 22:51   #638
BHPian

Quote:
The work near Praj is on in full swing, where a part of the hillock needs to be broken into, to make space for an extra lane.
Right Said! I see a JCB (or excavator or whatever) at it breaking down the hillock bit by bit. Don't understand why they can't stop the traffic for a while and simple dynamite the whole thing. Much , much faster.
Old 16th December 2011, 08:01   #639
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
That road will eventually merge into the airport road, making it a good corridor for reaching the airport from Shivaji Nagar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Where does it end exactly? By maps it seems it'll join the road "Dr. Ambedkar Path" just before the golf course.
Attaching a map where the approximate location and direction of the new road is shown in red. I am not sure at which exact point it merges into the existing the "airport" road. But I did see the construction approaching the Jail Road crossing.

Name:  map.png
Views: 10737
Size:  184.5 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Thanks. They have been working on that road since 2010-11
Any idea when this road will be open?
I get a feeling that they would be ready with the stretch from Deccan College Rd to Ambedkar Path before Civic elections. The final stretch would certainly take more time, unless we get a positive surprise.
dot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2011, 10:49   #640
Senior - BHPian

`69-cr flyover will now add to BRTS mess, News - City - Pune Mirror,Pune Mirror

I am not a fan of BRTS implementation in Pune, not even slightly. We could do better with better Volvo buses on normal roads instead.
Old 16th December 2011, 11:07   #641
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Attaching a map where the approximate location and direction of the new road is shown in red. I am not sure at which exact point it merges into the existing the "airport" road. But I did see the construction approaching the Jail Road crossing.

Attachment 856880
Wow - that would be really good. But I hope they are able to expand the further part of the road (towards the airport) too. Currently it's a 2 lane path that'll turn into a bottleneck once this road gets operational.

So people can make a quick getaway from the airport to both Shivaji Nagar & Pune railway station (thanks to the new bridge setup) in a reduced time.

Now if only they setup another exit route to directly connect to Pimpri - Chinchwad / Bombay-Pune highway. One easy option would be to connect through Lohegaon - Bhosari - Nashik Phata - Old NH4.

Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-airportpimprichinchwad.jpg

Now if only there was a road being planned something of that sort.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 16th December 2011 at 11:08.
Old 16th December 2011, 11:17   #642
Senior - BHPian

Ninja, they might just do that, taking into consideration the population from PCMC that might need to travel to and from the airport.

However, with the expansion of the current airport and so many roads being constructed, would the proposed international airport at Chakan make any sense? Especially when, less than an hour ahead, one can access the planned airport in Navi Mumbai.
Old 16th December 2011, 11:24   #643
Distinguished - BHPian

@Swanand - my only fear is with the holkar bridge being completed to connect to NH4 through Wakedewadi/Khadki, they might not do something of that sort, and expect it to be enough. But in parallel if the Khadki - Dapodi - Kasarwadi stretch is improved then this might just do the job, although the other approach is the best in the long term.

Quote:
However, with the expansion of the current airport and so many roads being constructed, would the proposed international airport at Chakan make any sense? Especially when, less than an hour ahead, one can access the planned airport in Navi Mumbai.
Very good Q - have been asking this to one and all - haven't got a good response from anybody. Anybody got connections in the local administration - maybe we could get any info on this

Btw Chakan, last heard was shelved off as the land rates had gone up tremendously! But still that was just another news report

Last edited by ninjatalli : 16th December 2011 at 11:27.
Old 16th December 2011, 12:19   #644
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Now if only they setup another exit route to directly connect to Pimpri - Chinchwad / Bombay-Pune highway.
Pretty sure that you are aware of the new road from Nasik Phata to Aundh Annex via Pimple Saudagar. Part of Happy Thoughts road has been widened and the new road construction is in full swing. Saw it the other day when visiting a friend's new apartment in Kalpataru. The road will meet the Nasik Phata junction via a bridge over the railway line.

So when this is operational, one can quickly touch the NH4- Eway .

Quote:
What I understand is that Chakan airport plan have been chucked away. They are looking for land around Rajguru Nagar.

Also, happened to check out the Navi Mumbai proposed airport area the other day. Right now it is a nice piece of land, quite suitable for a school picnic or sports day.

Last edited by dot : 16th December 2011 at 12:21.
Old 16th December 2011, 12:29   #645
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Pretty sure that you are aware of the new road from Nasik Phata to Aundh Annex via Pimple Saudagar. Part of Happy Thoughts road has been widened and the new road construction is in full swing. Saw it the other day when visiting a friend's new apartment in Kalpataru. The road will meet the Nasik Phata junction via a bridge over the railway line.

So when this is operational, one can quickly touch the NH4- Eway .
Oh yes, but I was talking about bypassing the Khadki - Nashik Phata section which actually takes some time during peak traffic hours.

Also on that new road, there's one part that is still not clear - how they are planning to get on to the expressway using that route. With the current setup and that new road completed, if someone has to get to expressway from Nashik Phata, the route will look like this

Nashik Phata - New Road - Jagtap Dairy - Wakad (Flyover point) - Baner (Flyover point - take a U-turn) - Expressway

Or go over the Hinjewadi flyover, and then take a U-turn half a km away, causing a bit of traffic jams (you'll know what I mean if you traverse to Hinjewadi regularly). I am not sure if they have a workaround for that.

Quote:
What I understand is that Chakan airport plan have been chucked away. They are looking for land around Rajguru Nagar.

Also, happened to check out the Navi Mumbai proposed airport area the other day. Right now it is a nice piece of land, quite suitable for a school picnic or sports day.
Yes, but has anybody checked out the JNPT road that goes adjacent to the new airport area? Really good roads with clear plans for keeping it 8 lanes. Also some kms ahead this connects to the Palm Beach road - overall the route from the (proposed) airport to Bombay city seems to be well planned out atleast till the Vashi bridge.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks