Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2011, 12:49   #706
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Subodh, you and rear endings go hand in hand I suppose .

No, on a serious note, with the kind of traffic we have, these incidents will only increase. We need better infrastructure. But before that, we need better brains for general people.
Old 27th December 2011, 13:28   #707
BHPian

Swanand & Subodh,
Let me add a few more things we'll need for our cars :
1. Bull-bar in the the rear
2. Bull-bar in the front
3. Bull bars along the sides..

To visualise that, think of the typical Scorpio from Mulshi Road..
Monaro CV8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2011, 16:36   #708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar
Subodh, you and rear endings go hand in hand I suppose .

No, on a serious note, with the kind of traffic we have, these incidents will only increase. We need better infrastructure. But before that, we need better brains for general people.
Whose said people don't have good brains ? They keep them at home in a safe locker before venturing out on to the roads.
Most important thing to do, to avoid getting rear ended is to maintain sufficient distance between you and the car ahead of you, which in turn will avoid sudden braking. If you still get rear ended then you can't do any thing about it. :-)

Last edited by F150 : 27th December 2011 at 16:41.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2011, 22:27   #709
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subodh View Post
You won't believe what happened next, one guy actually walked to the side where he was sitting and got a big Knife out and threatened me. I had no option Ar that time but to pay 500 rupees for someone else's mistake. That's the rule if street.
That must have hurt. The helplessness of it.
Old 27th December 2011, 22:37   #710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150

Whose said people don't have good brains ? They keep them at home in a safe locker before venturing out on to the roads.
Most important thing to do, to avoid getting rear ended is to maintain sufficient distance between you and the car ahead of you, which in turn will avoid sudden braking. If you still get rear ended then you can't do any thing about it. :-)
I think I missed something in your philosophy F150. Can you please shed some light?
Old 28th December 2011, 10:53   #711
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think I missed something in your philosophy F150. Can you please shed some light?
+1 to that. Didnt really get the point here.

How would, maintaining a safe distance between you and the car ahead, avoid you getting rear ended?
Old 28th December 2011, 11:07   #712
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post

How would, maintaining a safe distance between you and the car ahead, avoid you getting rear ended?
I think what he means is to reduce the chances of getting rear ended, by atleast preventing our mistakes.

A lot of us go drive bumper to bumper with hardly any space. When the car in front of brakes or someone moves in/out without clear indication, the alert one(s) among us brake hard to prevent any accidents. However if the guy behind us isn't that alert, chances are high he/she'll bump into our rear.

By keeping a safe distance, we can atleast reduce such occurances by braking more sedately. Atleast by that the probability goes down. However as the CEAT ad goes, the world is filled with idiots.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2011, 17:33   #713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I think what he means is to reduce the chances of getting rear ended, by atleast preventing our mistakes.

A lot of us go drive bumper to bumper with hardly any space. When the car in front of brakes or someone moves in/out without clear indication, the alert one(s) among us brake hard to prevent any accidents. However if the guy behind us isn't that alert, chances are high he/she'll bump into our rear.

By keeping a safe distance, we can atleast reduce such occurances by braking more sedately. Atleast by that the probability goes down. However as the CEAT ad goes, the world is filled with idiots.
I dont know about you guys, but the only way to drive is bumper to bumper in places like
1. Wakdewadi Subway - Mornings and evenings, otherwise either 2 wheelers, pedestrians or cattle / dogs are to get in between and you'll get stuck.
2. Law college road - evenings. 1 feet of space and someone is going to be in to cross the road (car/ bike /pedestrians)
3. Karve Road - evenings.
Old 28th December 2011, 18:44   #714
BHPian

Quote:
By keeping a safe distance, we can atleast reduce such occurances by braking more sedately. Atleast by that the probability goes down.
Very rightly said Ninja. I once got rear ended by an idiot driving Skoda Octavia, broke my bumper . Until this incident I used to drive more aggressively to close the gap with vehicles in front as soon as possible, which meant sudden braking if the car in front also braked suddenly. After the incident I realized that most drivers are probably not as alert as you are, so the faster you brake the more likely you are to get rear ended. So the key to avoid this is to keep a safe gap with the vehicle in front, so that you get more chance to react and don't rear-end the vehicle in front and also by braking more sedately you allow the vehicles following you to stop safely.
Old 28th December 2011, 20:39   #715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli

Well said bro. That was exactly what I meant. I am puzzled why swan and subodh couldn't get it. :-) Thank you ninja.
Old 29th December 2011, 01:16   #716
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw a (yellow) Ferrari roaming around on the University road around an hour ago. Kept company with it from Baner Pashan junction on the university road till the RTO, where it turned towards the station.

Number plate starting with NL, the guy seemed highly reluctant to even accelerate over 50 kmph, even on stretches where the road was perfectly smooth. Anyone among us?
Old 29th December 2011, 07:51   #717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Number plate starting with NL, the guy seemed highly reluctant to even accelerate over 50 kmph, even on stretches where the road was perfectly smooth. Anyone among us?
Not me

I think 50 kmph is good enough for Pune roads. You never know when a cycle, pedestrian, biker, pothole and all the other hazards might appear suddenly.

On the other hand i think he was going slow so that you can catch up with him and admire the beauty.
Old 29th December 2011, 08:21   #718
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Not me

I think 50 kmph is good enough for Pune roads. You never know when a cycle, pedestrian, biker, pothole and all the other hazards might appear suddenly.
lol. Except the potholes, everybody else was sleeping away to glory - it was post 12 in the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
On the other hand i think he was going slow so that you can catch up with him and admire the beauty.
Catch up? My average speed on such empty roads goes to 3 digit figures, I had to actually stop the car and wait for him at Sancheti hospital so that he could catch up

I would have loved to hear the roar of the car - pity he wasn't in the mood.
Old 29th December 2011, 11:09   #719
Senior - BHPian

One more rear ending on by-pass opposite holiday inn. An Indigo cab, a Swift and a M 800 involved, a Beat too stood by albeit with no damages.

Guys be extra cautious driving that stretch!
Old 30th December 2011, 14:06   #720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freak1201 View Post
I dont know about you guys, but the only way to drive is bumper to bumper in places like
1. Wakdewadi Subway - Mornings and evenings, otherwise either 2 wheelers, pedestrians or cattle / dogs are to get in between and you'll get stuck.
2. Law college road - evenings. 1 feet of space and someone is going to be in to cross the road (car/ bike /pedestrians)
3. Karve Road - evenings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
I agree that b2b traffic is the only option here. however it is a good idea to keep tapping the brake every once in a while. Normally that keeps 'sane' people aware.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks