Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2011, 17:13   #61
BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Guys, this is a cross post from other thread, posting here as (rightly) suggested by @amitwlele

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/collec...ml#post2436004
Old 20th July 2011, 11:05   #62
Senior - BHPian

Guys using the bypass to commute from Kothrud to Hinjewadi - BEWARE. There are huge potholes on the road.
The first one, just after the CC overbridge is huge, for the past two days, have seen vehicles pull over to the side of the road to check damages after going through the ditch.
The entire stretch from Mahindra First Choice to Lalani Quantum has potholes.

While heading back, opp Praj Industires, there is a humongous pothole. Saw a Safari that had its rear tyre stuck in that pothole. Its right in the middle of the road.

Be extremely cautious on these stretches. Drive safe.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th July 2011, 11:51   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
While heading back, opp Praj Industires, there is a humongous pothole. Saw a Safari that had its rear tyre stuck in that pothole. Its right in the middle of the road.
The pothole opp Praj industries is a harbinger of an accident waiting to happen. Any of these days one of the cars is going to see the pothole very late and carry out hard braking to avoid the crater. This could possibly cause a pile up.

I am not imagining things here. Couple of days this happened at Chandni Chowk opp to the Petrol Pump while going towards Wakad. There is another smaller sized crater on the road. An Indigo braked and there was a pileup of 3 cars. One of the cars had cops as their occupants.
amitwlele is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2011, 11:56   #64
Senior - BHPian

Very true Amit. Saw a cab with its front axel broken in front of Lalani Quantum. Pretty sure, this was the result of the pothole only, as no other vehicle was present indicating an "accident".
Old 20th July 2011, 16:22   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I suppose the authorities in Pune are glued to this thread!
The work, that had been stalled at MIT college, is now complete. The overbridge is now operational. Took it quite a few times over the weekend. The purpose of that bridge still fails me though.
And the fly over work is only half done...the people will emerge from under the bridge, and straight into traffic where the rest of the road is. They just tarred the surface which was causing the block me thinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
Guys, this is a cross post from other thread, posting here as (rightly) suggested by @amitwlele

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/collec...ml#post2436004
Mandar, the quality of your graphics is just too good.

Quote:
Guys using the bypass to commute from Kothrud to Hinjewadi - BEWARE. There are huge potholes on the road.
.....Saw a Safari that had its rear tyre stuck in that pothole. Its right in the middle of the road.
Its worse at night when its raining, because you simply cannot gauge the depth. The part near the dividers also appears to be a bit more frazzled , perhaps due to more water logging there.
Though its heartening to know that they are being repaired today. Even the potholes within Hinjewadi are increasing in size. Hit a decent sized one in front of my company today. Was so large that I was afraid the Swift's unbottomable suspension may finally bottom out.
sajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2011, 17:15   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble Beast View Post
Sancheti: Where does the underpass open to? It seems it will take 5 more months for it to get functional.
Everyday I pass from sancheti and I try to figure it out where it opens. I fail miserable everyday. But they have digged sangam bridge road all the way till river to avoid water clogging in under bridge. After all this dranage work sangam bridge road is as good as no road!
Old 21st July 2011, 23:00   #67
Senior - BHPian

Guys, watch out for big stones near the divider just before Lalani Quantum. I hit one tonight, as I simply didnt see it in the darkness. Didnt stop to check the damage to my car as I was rushing to a hospital to see someone, but there were no untoward noises after the hit. Dunno what part of the car's right hand side hit it, but I instinctively swerved afterwards (dangerous, i know) and there was no scraping.
sajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2011, 11:55   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Guys, watch out for big stones near the divider just before Lalani Quantum. I hit one tonight, as I simply didnt see it in the darkness. Didnt stop to check the damage to my car as I was rushing to a hospital to see someone, but there were no untoward noises after the hit. Dunno what part of the car's right hand side hit it, but I instinctively swerved afterwards (dangerous, i know) and there was no scraping.
You are fortunate that you swerved without any impact. I had a similar issue a couple of days ago and I knew there was a speeding Xylo to my left so chose to go over the boulder instead of hitting him.
There seem to be too many stones/ boulders lying around. People have also taken liberties of moving the divider stones onto the road instead of placing them on the divider (Ideally they should not be moving anything, but thats another story). A lot of anarchy everywhere, so its better to expect a pothole/ stone everywhere we drive.
Old 22nd July 2011, 12:02   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
There seem to be too many stones/ boulders lying around. People have also taken liberties of moving the divider stones onto the road instead of placing them on the divider (Ideally they should not be moving anything, but thats another story). A lot of anarchy everywhere, so its better to expect a pothole/ stone everywhere we drive.
Read about your unfortunate incident man.
Unfortunately, due to the darkness, I didnt even see the size of the thing I hit, but must be decent sized. Checked today morning to see a scratched alloy :(.
If it was daylight, I would have probably moved to the side, and attempted to remove that thing.
Old 22nd July 2011, 12:07   #70
Senior - BHPian

Oops, thats a bad incident Sajo. Any noticable damage, that you realised today morning? Drive safe.

EDIT: The question was answered in the above comment.

Last edited by Swanand Inamdar : 22nd July 2011 at 12:08.
Old 22nd July 2011, 13:21   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Read about your unfortunate incident man.
Unfortunately, due to the darkness, I didnt even see the size of the thing I hit, but must be decent sized. Checked today morning to see a scratched alloy :(.
If it was daylight, I would have probably moved to the side, and attempted to remove that thing.
I am glad for you that the alloy scratch is all that happened and nothing more! Things could be much worse, and they happen to a lot of people. I dont know why there is such lack of understanding among people about road safety.
I thought the same about removing the boulder; I may visit the place of my incident in a couple of days to do this too. If we start moving these things in the hope they wont return to the road, at least someone will be safe.
And I might develop some muscles too! This doesnt mean that I will be going all around town doing this though

Last edited by selfdrive : 22nd July 2011 at 13:22.
Old 25th July 2011, 10:25   #72
Senior - BHPian

PMC and Pune Traffic Police are to form a joint task force to improve traffic conditions for motorists :

Article Window
Old 25th July 2011, 11:08   #73
Senior - BHPian

^^Good initiative; I hope they maintain and follow up a task list with action point assigned to relevant personnel.

Perhaps a bit off topic, but Mr. Kalmadi has approved some funds for mobile toilets for women in Pune (re Mid Day). This is a long overdue initiative; but I wonder how he could approve this while he is claiming that he suffers from dementia (ToI).

Last edited by selfdrive : 25th July 2011 at 11:10.
Old 26th July 2011, 02:50   #74
dot
Senior - BHPian

Mundwa road-KP annex road crossing has broken up badly these days. This has occured inspite of re-laying the road about a month back. The holes are so deep that even a donkey can go in. Last time I checked they were back on the laying act.
Old 26th July 2011, 09:39   #75
Senior - BHPian

PMC Declares it will make roads pothole free by today (Tuesday) evening!!!

Quote:
PUNE: Following criticism from citizens and civic groups, the Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) on Monday promised 'pothole-free' roads in the city by Tuesday evening.

Speaking at the general body meeting, additional city engineer (roads) Vivek Kharwadkar, said, "The PMC has sprung into action as soon as the rains have stopped for a couple of days. Till today, we have filled 764 potholes across the city, and the work is still on. By Tuesday evening, there will be no pothole on any city road."

He added that the civic body has put in additional efforts and has employed extra staff to repair roads. Craters that had cropped up after just three days of heavy rain had been a bone of contention for citizens, who were agitated by the fact that due to tardy patching up of dug-up portions of several roads, the roads were filled with potholes in many shapes and sizes. After the initial spell of rain in June, potholes were also seen on roads which were recently asphalted by ward offices. Complaints of the road conditions flooded the ward offices, as road-users and pedestrians struggled to tackle them during the rain.
Read full article here.

Tuesday evening? Really ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Mundwa road-KP annex road crossing has broken up badly these days. This has occured inspite of re-laying the road about a month back. The holes are so deep that even a donkey can go in. Last time I checked they were back on the laying act.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks