Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2012, 13:21   #856
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Bala, saw what that burst pipeline has done to that road, this weekend.
The "work" has resulted in a big ditch on the road, where cars driving on it continuously has worsened the situation. My car actually scraped its bottom in that ditch, thanks to ill planning and haphazard work.
Hows the road situation? Monday morning must've been a chaos on that patch!
While I passed that patch I was thinking someone is going to post that here! That ditch is more like a sunken patch of road ('rastaa khachlaya' in marathi?) And the more the number of vehicles going by its side is making it worse.
One better thing was that the traffic coming from SB road to Karve road is being stopped by some traffic cops a little before that junction. And I was smart enough to go late around 10:15 am to beat the peak hour traffic. Ahem, I woke up late but thats another story that doesnt sound as good as the first one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Driving / riding discipline in Pimpri-Chinchwad area does not exist but the ease with which I reached a far end of the city left me wondering how a simple flyover can make drive times shorter.
Yes Kiran, as long as that simple flyover is built in the correct direction for starters!

Last edited by selfdrive : 23rd January 2012 at 13:29.
Old 23rd January 2012, 15:43   #857
BHPian

Scary Incident which happened at 1:55PM today

I was on my bike coming from Deccan towards Agri college via FC road. After I crossed HDFC Bank to my right, I noticed a white Tata Winger Cab struggling in front of the place where the divider starts on FC road. It was slowly heading straight for the divider slowly since it wasn't able to get enough space on either side (presumably or the fellow may be confused). I overtook him(from the left since there was no space on his right), but as soon as I was passing him, he pushed me onto another Alto going in the same direction. Avoiding all these, I moved on and reached Agri college signal.

Looking at the timer, I realized that I won't be able to make it past the signal since I wished to go straight from there. So I gently rolled to a stop just behind the stop line and a rickshaw stopped alongside me(on my right). Since I actually stopped within legal limits, I was weary that somebody might try to jump the signal and go, so I did not turn off the engine immediately and was watching the mirrors. Something distracted me momentarily and after 3-4 seconds of stopping, I suddenly heard chi-chi-chi-chi noise of tyres screeching to a halt. Checked my mirror and spotted the aforementioned White Tata Winger cab hurling towards me at a good speed. Immediately I released the clutch and went a few feet ahead only to see that the car wasn't able to stop in time and eventually stopped to my left(ahead of me) on its way, passing where my rear wheel was and missing it by inches(if not less..as confirmed by the rickshaw fellow).

After successfully avoiding getting rear-ended, obviously I was shaken by the incident and felt like telling everyone. Please take care on traffic signals. If you are on pole position at the signal, Do not turn the engine off till the time you see there is at least one vehicle stopped behind you.

On reaching my destination, I did think that I should have made a scene right at the spot and at least checked his license since as of now, I feel worried about the passengers in the cab. What if something bad happens to them? Am I in any way responsible (morally)? Can nothing be done for such unsafe vehicles/drivers *before* somebody actually gets hurt?
antz.bin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2012, 16:31   #858
Senior - BHPian

This is indeed very scary. You should thank your stars that you have come out of this unscathed. You can call this as your sixth sense that has come in handy & helped you in such a life threatening situation.

The Tata Winger Cab guy must have really been a nut (or would have been in an inebriated condition). Ideally you should have informed the traffic constable, who could in turn have sent wireless message to the police on next signal & nabbed this guy.
Old 23rd January 2012, 16:35   #859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
On reaching my destination, I did think that I should have made a scene right at the spot and at least checked his license since as of now, I feel worried about the passengers in the cab. What if something bad happens to them? Am I in any way responsible (morally)? Can nothing be done for such unsafe vehicles/drivers *before* somebody actually gets hurt?
In hindsight, yes you should create a scene when you are on the correct side so that the other person (and onlookers) get a reminder of some common sense. Of course hindsight is always very easy to say and the very fact that you were shaken by the incident would affect your reactions. I would take it as a learning for next time to react vocally anything happens around me. After all most of the drivers around us are totally insensitive.

As for being responsible, your post here shows your concern about the incident and what you could have done. So while I think you are responsible, I dont think you are accountable for not reacting!
Old 23rd January 2012, 21:49   #860
BHPian

Please take care...

A software engineer, who took a lift in an SUV near Chandni Chowk, was allegedly robbed by the driver and his accomplices on Katraj-Dehu Road bypass on Friday night.

Techie takes lift, robbed by driver, accomplices - The Times of India
Vishal.R is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2012, 22:23   #861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal.R View Post
Please take care...

A software engineer, who took a lift in an SUV near Chandni Chowk, was allegedly robbed by the driver and his accomplices on Katraj-Dehu Road bypass on Friday night.

Techie takes lift, robbed by driver, accomplices - The Times of India
Isn't this a repeat of numerous incidents? I fail to understand why people fail to take a lesson from such news?

Top spots for such incidents are wakad chowk and Chandani chowk.
Old 24th January 2012, 11:29   #862
Senior - BHPian

I agree. Such incidents are not a new occurance. This has been reported in 2006 as well. After a good 6 years gone, if people do not learn, then god knows what will make them learn.

Having said that, we also need to look at the other side of the coin. The poor chap was standing there for eternity, waiting for some means of public transport, which never arrived. The public transport in our city is ridiculous.

The only way to put an end (or reduce) such incidents, is decent public transport system.
Old 24th January 2012, 11:35   #863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The only way to put an end (or reduce) such incidents, is decent public transport system.
Thinking way left field. But a possible way to kill two birds with one stone.
All along the divider on the NH4 (at least between Pune & HJW), a high speed rail line or monorail could be laid with decent frequency of trains. With this in place all the breaks in the dividers could also be eliminated.
By posting this idea, I prove that I am not an engineer and dont even think like one. No idea about feasibility, but a few tweaks could be made to ensure better and more regular public transport.
Old 24th January 2012, 12:30   #864
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal.R View Post
Please take care...
A software engineer, who took a lift in an SUV near Chandni Chowk, was ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi_k View Post
Isn't this a repeat of numerous incidents? I fail to understand why people fail to take a lesson from such news?
Quote:
I agree. Such incidents are not a new occurance. This has been reported in 2006 as well. After a good 6 years gone, if people do not learn, then god knows what will make them learn.
I think the person who got robbed very well deserved this. Asking for a lift at 10 pm in the night is asking for trouble. I am assuming he reads news papers and is well educated enough to realize the perils of taking lifts. Not just a few, but a lot of people have paid with their lives on taking lifts. Some women have been raped but people fail to learn.

I understand there is a lack of public transport system available in this city but at 10 pm, there are various "safe" options to travel from Chandni chowk to Deccan. Point is most people want to compromise on safety just to save a few bucks. And I believe this was the case with the said person as well. Btw, was he actually carrying Rs. 66,000/- in cash? No ATM withdrawals support over Rs. 25,000/- unless you are a prime customer with a top of the line debit card, correct me if I am wrong.

I had been travelling to Bombay every weekend in 2009 and 2010 to spend time with my girlfriend. I used to drive out of Pune on Fridays and return on Sundays. Needless to say, the junction at Wakad was always choc-a-bloc with cars and prospective customers (from the IT industry mainly) wanting to get home for cheap, with a driver having no integrity to use his bosses car for their personal monetary benefits.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 12:37   #865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Btw, was he actually carrying Rs. 66,000/- in cash? No ATM withdrawals support over Rs. 25,000/- unless you are a prime customer with a top of the line debit card, correct me if I am wrong.
I think it was the value of his laptop+cash. Probably cell phone too.
The gang rape of the lady who asked a lift from Hinjewadi in broad day light and the Infy chap who was murdered by the people who gave him a lift are a couple of more incidents that come to mind.
Old 24th January 2012, 12:50   #866
Senior - BHPian

Kiran, absolutely right in assuming this. There are enough incidents reported, for any sane person to avoid situations like these.

While the gang rape incident is pretty old now, some ladies still havent learnt. Just last evening, I saw a lady asking for a lift from a Sumo guy. Now, I dont want to generalise, but a Sumo, filled with guys (non company Sumo) is a bit of a problem, right?

People just dont want to learn.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 13:05   #867
BHPian

Any Idea where exactly Park Royale is in Rahatani, Pune. I was given land mark as Opp. Akash Ganga Society. I am getting multiple locations on the maps. I am told it is somewhere near Aund or Pimpli saudagar.

What is the best route if I am coming from Warje. Any Other landmarks?

Thanks in Advance
Old 24th January 2012, 13:19   #868
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Any Idea where exactly Park Royale is in Rahatani, Pune. I was given land mark as Opp. Akash Ganga Society. I am getting multiple locations on the maps. I am told it is somewhere near Aund or Pimpli saudagar.

Thanks in Advance
Rahul, this is in Pimple Saudagar.

Best route would be by the highway, go till Dange Chowk, take the right under the highway, and go to Dange chowk, take right and reach PS.

You can also take the wakad option by taking a U-turn and turning under Wakad-hinjewadi bridge, which is slightly longer but a better road. If you opt for Wakad route, then keep going till you reach the a tilted T junction where the left direction takes you to PS, while the right will go to Aundh.

P.s. When I searched Park Royale in GMaps, I found only one option. How did you get multiple options?
P.P.s. If the above directions seem a bit vague, call me. Been long!

Last edited by ninjatalli : 24th January 2012 at 13:21.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 13:29   #869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post

Thanks in Advance
Do you know Jagtap Dairy chowk? From this chowk the Pimple Saudagar area starts. Once you enter Pimple Saudagar area at Jagtap Dairy chowk, the right side is Pimple Saudagar and left side is Rahatani. Drive straight for about 1/1.5 kms, there is one left turn. At this turn, you could see the name "Aakashganga" above a building. Opposite to this society is Park Royale. I have tried to take a link from google maps.

Park Royale
shipnil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 13:30   #870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Rahul, this is in Pimple Saudagar.

Best route would be by the highway, go till Dange Chowk, take the right under the highway, and go to Dange chowk, take right and reach PS.

You can also take the wakad option by taking a U-turn and turning under Wakad-hinjewadi bridge, which is slightly longer but a better road. If you opt for Wakad route, then keep going till you reach the a tilted T junction where the left direction takes you to PS, while the right will go to Aundh.

P.s. When I searched Park Royale in GMaps, I found only one option. How did you get multiple options?
Thanks Ninja, when I mentioned the place in map to a colleague, they were of the opinion it is in Aundh. and the land mark mentioned is also pointing to Aundh so the query. Some one else informed that it is near to Kalewadi Chowk. Too many inputs for one place

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Do you know Jagtap Dairy chowk? From this chowk the Pimple Saudagar area starts. Once you enter Pimple Saudagar area at Jagtap Dairy chowk, the right side is Pimple Saudagar and left side is Rahatani. Drive straight for about 1/1.5 kms, there is one left turn. At this turn, you could see the name "Aakashganga" above a building. Opposite to this society is Park Royale. I have tried to take a link from google maps.
Thanks for Confirming man, I did not see Aakashganga anywhere on the map, so had a few doubts.

Now it is clear

Last edited by indian21r : 24th January 2012 at 13:34.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks