Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2012, 22:14   #901
dot
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
When is the underground road near the Sancheti hospital going to be completed???
Very good question.
Where does it start, where does it end and how it is expected to help to reduce traffic. Any ideas?
Old 3rd February 2012, 07:12   #902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Very good question.
Where does it start, where does it end and how it is expected to help to reduce traffic. Any ideas?
I have been informed that a grade separator type underpass is being made for traffic between Simla office and the sessions court. The traffic coming from COEP towards JM road will 'flow' over this road.

Of course it is common sense that the bottleneck there is the width (or lack) of the rail overbridge. I have already ranted enough about this, pictorially and in word.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 08:58   #903
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
When is the underground road near the Sancheti hospital going to be completed???
Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Very good question.
Interesting trivia, the contract for the underpass has been handed to a construction company owned by the local MLA/MLC (not sure). Be assured that it isn't going to solve the traffic problem as selfdrive has already mentioned, the root cause is the bridge over the railway lines at Sancheti hospital. I believe the Dy. CM of Maharashtra landed in a code of conduct controversy owing to some ground breaking ceremony he performed for a new flyover. Any idea where this is being built?

What's new in Pune? Pune traffic police has launched its own website and it can be visited at - Pune Traffic Police-Apki Seva Me

Quite a nice layout for a government website unlike the usual garbage interfaces they have.

A few nice features: SMS Alert service. I had subscribed to this since its inception (on facebook) and it has helped me in planning my daily drives to work to a certain extent. You get notified about VIP (stupid term) movement, traffic diversions, etc in advance. Since my office is close to the airport, I do get affected and the notifications help in choosing my timings.

Additionally, they have nicely detailed traffic maps. If the CME guys crossed Lakdi pul on a two wheeler, I don't really blame them. The traffic map doesn't feature a no 2-wheeler board either.

Statistics:

Enforcement stats clearly indicate that if the ministry of Road Transport hikes the fines to a deterrent level, it would be a serious revenue generator for the state. I hope the stats are updated regularly.

Rules and regulations:

The list of documents to carry while driving / riding has been mentioned here. As confirmed, we can carry photocopies of documents. A detailed listing of offences and their applicable fines are mentioned here - Fines.
moralfibre is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 09:11   #904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I believe the Dy. CM of Maharashtra landed in a code of conduct controversy owing to some ground breaking ceremony he performed for a new flyover. Any idea where this is being built?
Its the same bridge that connects Balewadi to Pimple Nilakh providing a short cut to Rakshak Chowk.
rahul_sinha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 11:25   #905
Senior - BHPian

Yeah Kiran, I was just about to post a link to the website launched by PTP. Not only is it greatly designed, but it also has various facilities for citizens. Forms downloads, contact details of certain senior officers, et al.

As per the info received, in the near future, they plan to start an online payment system, where people can pay fees for services, pay fines online etc.

A very novel idea started by the PTP. Kudos to them.
Old 3rd February 2012, 11:54   #906
BHPian

Kiran / Rahul the Dy. CM foundation laying ceremony controversy are infact two flyovers one starting somewhere near shoppers stop at wakdewadi and ending before sangam bridge while other going towards sancheti chowk . These two will be one over another. No idea how they plan to avoid the construction mess and they also hv not discussed with COEP which has been declared a heritage structure. An artistic representation of the flyover had appeared in newspapers will try to see if I can find the same
mm403 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 12:16   #907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm403 View Post
Kiran / Rahul the Dy. CM foundation laying ceremony controversy are infact two flyovers one starting somewhere near shoppers stop at wakdewadi and ending before sangam bridge while other going towards sancheti chowk . These two will be one over another. No idea how they plan to avoid the construction mess and they also hv not discussed with COEP which has been declared a heritage structure. An artistic representation of the flyover had appeared in newspapers will try to see if I can find the same
More than the flyover, that place needs to get rid of the heritage tower type thingie @Shoppers' stop. (What is it there for again?) That will clear up a big big bottleneck. Anyways I didnt see any marking/digging / road blocking for construction purposes. This place happens to be on my daily commute route.
Old 3rd February 2012, 12:22   #908
Senior - BHPian

@mm403, as far as I remember COEP has already objected to this flyover plan. Now, if it will be listened to is another story

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
More than the flyover, that place needs to get rid of the heritage tower type thingie @Shoppers' stop. (What is it there for again?) That will clear up a big big bottleneck. Anyways I didnt see any marking/digging / road blocking for construction purposes. This place happens to be on my daily commute route.
Oh you had to bring up that heritage tower! It cannot be knocked down. Come on, after all it is the only thing that blocks the amazing takeover of 2 full lanes of carriagewidth just behind it. For parking handcarts, scooters and all other rubbish.
If its your daily commute I am sure you have seen that too

Last edited by selfdrive : 3rd February 2012 at 12:24.
Old 3rd February 2012, 12:32   #909
Senior - BHPian

One such heritage tower used to be an obstacle on the Sinhagad road too. A few years ago, when that road was being widened, the tower was destroyed, which resulted in a big argument with citizens and authorities.

Apparently, those towers used to be watch towers cum water storage towers in the good ol days of Peshwas and the likes.
Old 3rd February 2012, 12:41   #910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
@mm403, as far as I remember COEP has already objected to this flyover plan. Now, if it will be listened to is another story

Oh you had to bring up that heritage tower! It cannot be knocked down. Come on, after all it is the only thing that blocks the amazing takeover of 2 full lanes of carriagewidth just behind it. For parking handcarts, scooters and all other rubbish.
If its your daily commute I am sure you have seen that too
The tower was successful in changing my drive from a Turbo Diesel to an Automatic Petrol. I have seen and felt it all . The only solution I found for the left calf ache was an Automatic even though it meant I had to be content with 7.5-8kmpl. (thanks to TBHP, it has recently risen though).

Can they not pick it up and place it somewhere it won't block the flow of traffic? eg. the other side of Sangamwadi bridge say 100m away from the road.

@Swanand I hope, in hindsight, the Sinhagad Road residents realize that it was the right thing to do.

Last edited by antz.bin : 3rd February 2012 at 12:44.
Old 3rd February 2012, 12:53   #911
BHPian

Antz - you havent see any construction work as elections have been announced.

I was able to search the newspaper which had shown the artistic representation. Have edited the snap to remove names of politicos
Attached Thumbnails
Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-flyover.jpg  

mm403 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 13:34   #912
Senior - BHPian

@mm403
This will work only if the rail tracks are to the right of the picture and both flyover heading rightwards pass over the rail tracks.
If the rail tracks are to the left, then there is no point because the primary bottleneck remains as it is. Just that instead of waiting on the ground level, there will be vehicles waiting at different levels of the flyover.
Old 3rd February 2012, 13:39   #913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
What's new in Pune? Pune traffic police has launched its own website and it can be visited at - Pune Traffic Police-Apki Seva Me
Thanks for the site info. Pleasantly surprised to see a decent layout with useful information.

Did anyone take the Traffic Quiz on the Home Page. I gave it a try and got 8 right out of the 10 questions. And the site declared that i passed with 80%.

Then there is one field which shows Passed Percentage and has a value of 4%

No wonder we have so many morons on the roads of Pune. I am assuming this figure shows the number of folks who have passed the test.
Old 3rd February 2012, 14:37   #914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Thanks for the site info. Pleasantly surprised to see a decent layout with useful information.

Did anyone take the Traffic Quiz on the Home Page. I gave it a try and got 8 right out of the 10 questions. And the site declared that i passed with 80%.

Then there is one field which shows Passed Percentage and has a value of 4%

No wonder we have so many morons on the roads of Pune. I am assuming this figure shows the number of folks who have passed the test.
"Same pinch"
I suppose there should be slice and dice option on the results by area (HJW)

Quiz Result
Result : 8 / 10
Percentage : 80.00 %
Passed : Passed
Start Date : 2012-02-03 09:02:46
End Date : 2012-02-03 09:05:27
Spent Time : 2 min 41 sec
Passed Percentage :
4.00 %
Old 3rd February 2012, 15:01   #915
Senior - BHPian

I got the same passing marks for Batch 1. I attempted Batch 2, but didnt get any results.
Looks like us tbhp pappus are getting the same 2 answers wrong. must be the downhill speeding question

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks