Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2012, 14:27   #946
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Guys cannot access FB in office. In which area are these rallies planned?
Here you go:

Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-mnsrally.jpg

Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-ncprally.jpg

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 8th February 2012 at 14:29.
comfortablynumb is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 14:47   #947
Senior - BHPian

Damn that 430 wala procession! Any chance that one will pass Nal Stop by 7pm today? If not, it might be better to stay at
work :(

Thanks a ton Vikram, very helpful indeed

Thanks Amit, I didnt even see the entire route and was hoping my tryst with it ends at Nal stop. This thing is going to choke me in the evening. Will hope to get home before the melee starts.

^^

Last edited by selfdrive : 8th February 2012 at 15:06.
Old 8th February 2012, 15:02   #948
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot Vikram.

I think people from Hinjewadi going towards Kothrud should be worried about the MNS rally.

After checking the route my knowledge of Pune roads is being tested. Maybe i use those roads but don't quite know the official Chowk/Marg that is referred to by PTP.
Old 8th February 2012, 15:18   #949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Ever seen one of these telling a lady that the lights are on . Looks hideous with that gesture.
Had done that innocently years ago when I used to commute to ICC towers for work on bike, got a middle finger
rahul_sinha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 15:54   #950
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Here you go:
Cheers,
Vikram
Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Damn that 430 wala procession! Any chance that one will pass Nal Stop by 7pm today? If not, it might be better to stay at
work :(^^
Quote:
I think people from Hinjewadi going towards Kothrud should be worried ...
Guess what? The "Official" permission for the procession is only 3 vehicles per party. And, as it usually happens, there will be 300 vehicles per party at least. Honking, shouting slogans, riding a bike with 4 on board, popping their empty heads out of the windows, standing on the running board etc. is a standard fare on such rallies.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 16:26   #951
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Guess what? The "Official" permission for the procession is only 3 vehicles per party. And, as it usually happens, there will be 300 vehicles per party at least. Honking, shouting slogans, riding a bike with 4 on board, popping their empty heads out of the windows, standing on the running board etc. is a standard fare on such rallies.
True, and this fact is shamelessly trumpeted by their biggies. From With two roadshows today, brace for jams - Indian Express - "Bala Shedge, Pune unit president of MNS, said, “We are yet to get permission from police. We had applied for permission in time to be allowed more vehicles for the roadshow for our party’s star campaigner. Now, even if we do not get permission, we would carry on the roadshow as per plan.”...."

My feelings about our politicians and their cohorts cannot be expressed here. Suffice it to say that if I had my way, Dimple Kapadia's character in "Zakhmi Aurat" would definitely "Like" my plan of action!

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 8th February 2012 at 16:28.
Old 8th February 2012, 16:38   #952
Senior - BHPian

The last news title in the image says "Sandhyakali 12:30". What time is this???

I was just thinking that instead of doing this power show/road show, why can't any of the parties do a social work such as repair a bad road in say 2 days, install street lights where utmost necessary, implement P1-P2 parking system where they are not existent, etc. Instead of showing your power by showcasing how many human and automobile resources you can exploit in one rally, do something more meaningful.
Wake up Sid! Day dreaming is not good.

On a more real world note, I am leaving my office pretty late today, so I hope i don't get sucked into these non-sense rallies.
Old 8th February 2012, 21:45   #953
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Flashing lights during day time is quite natural and correct and a proper road manner.

Say there is a narrow road bottleneck and you are at speed of 40 and just approaching the bottleneck and there is a car coming in front of you at low speed.

All you need to do is flash lights and alert him that you are in correct position to make the pass than him.

I am sorry to say that it is not a proper and natural road manner to flash light to slow down others. It would be proper if you flash light to beacon the other vehicle to proceed and stop yourself.
dot is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 22:00   #954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
I am sorry to say that it is not a proper and natural road manner to flash light to slow down others. It would be proper if you flash light to beacon the other vehicle to proceed and stop yourself.
sorry, but seems u dint read my post properly. here you are faster than him and very near to the bottleneck.

while overtaking too you flash to oncoming vehicle requesting him to slow down so that you make the full overtake.

so according to you , you should slow down , terminate the overtake and let the oncoming vehicle pass?

if oncoming vehicle flashes you should slow down and allow him to pass as he is warning us.
dont even try this reverse way expecting the vehicle with flashing light to slow and you speed in. i am sure you dont want to fall in trouble and create trouble for oncoming car too.
Old 8th February 2012, 22:17   #955
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
while overtaking too you flash to oncoming vehicle requesting him to slow down so that you make the full overtake.

so according to you , you should slow down , terminate the overtake and let the oncoming vehicle pass?
Yes.

Why should someone else slow down because of my over ambitious actions?

If I was planning an overtaking maneuver and notice that there is an oncoming vehicle right on my path (assuming it is a undivided road) that would mean that legally I am on the wrong side and the other vehicle has the right of way. What justification do I have to flash and ask that person to slow down? In that case it is my duty to terminate the maneuver and let the oncoming vehicle pass.
dot is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 22:25   #956
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes.

Why should someone else slow down because of my over ambitious actions?

If I was planning an overtaking maneuver and notice that there is an oncoming vehicle right on my path (assuming it is a undivided road) that would mean that legally I am on the wrong side and the other vehicle has the right of way. What justification do I have to flash and ask that person to slow down? In that case it is my duty to terminate the maneuver and let the oncoming vehicle pass.
You are over-judging the situation. these are not called over ambitions actions in day to day driving. this is quite natural on any road and its a common understanding between normal drivers.

mainly when you are near to the bottleneck its your right to pass first, but just to alert the oncoming car you flash.

Of-course you wont overtake seeing some oncoming vehicle right in front. you overtake with all calculations in mind. but many times there is an oncoming vehicle which is far away but at speed. you flash just to alert him so that he adjusts himself too.

of course when someone is overtaking and i see him in front flashing i should be alert and save some space for him too. this is a simple moral understanding.

but if i start thinking its only my right to continue my speed and i squeeze in between his overtaking it may prove problematic to him as well as me.

i leave this topic here itself for other to judge as its getting a bit OT.
amit_mechengg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 22:27   #957
Distinguished - BHPian

In the UK at least, it is common to see someone flash their lights and then slow down and yield to you. Though I have seen Thad Ginathom say somewhere that this isn't the right way and they way we Indians do it (to bludgeon our way through ) is the correct way.

One thing I can say with confidence: 90% of the folks flashing their lights are completely unaware of these finer points and are doing it for the same reason Edmund Hillary wanted to climb Everest: because it's THERE!

The same idiots blast their horns when there is absolutely no need to as well. The fuuny thing is over time a consensus has built that these inconsiderate and brainless acts are actually CORRECT: for example take a quick survey on whether it is correct practice to honk while overtaking normally and most people will agree (it is most certainly NOT!) The thinking is: what if that idiot doesn't check his mirrors (very likely given that a lot of them are folded or otherwise unused). He may swing into my lane and smash me up. so I play safe and honk!

But I think we are treading too much on Bad Drivers thread territory now so let's go back to ranting about Pune streets in particular.
Old 8th February 2012, 22:30   #958
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot Vikram.

I think people from Hinjewadi going towards Kothrud should be worried about the MNS rally.

After checking the route my knowledge of Pune roads is being tested. Maybe i use those roads but don't quite know the official Chowk/Marg that is referred to by PTP.
Left office at 7.45 PM and reached Chandni Chowk at around 8.20 PM expecting the worst. But looks like i was lucky and the rally had not reached Paud Road. I could see pandals erected by the party on Paud Road for the rally and i guess people were waiting for the mob to arrive.

Last edited by amitwlele : 8th February 2012 at 22:31.
Old 9th February 2012, 00:10   #959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
In the UK at least, it is common to see someone flash their lights and then slow down and yield to you. Though I have seen Thad Ginathom say somewhere that this isn't the right way and they way we Indians do it (to bludgeon our way through ) is the correct way.

One thing I can say with confidence: 90% of the folks flashing their lights are completely unaware of these finer points and are doing it for the same reason Edmund Hillary wanted to climb Everest: because it's THERE!

The same idiots blast their horns when there is absolutely no need to as well. The fuuny thing is over time a consensus has built that these inconsiderate and brainless acts are actually CORRECT: for example take a quick survey on whether it is correct practice to honk while overtaking normally and most people will agree (it is most certainly NOT!) The thinking is: what if that idiot doesn't check his mirrors (very likely given that a lot of them are folded or otherwise unused). He may swing into my lane and smash me up. so I play safe and honk!

But I think we are treading too much on Bad Drivers thread territory now so let's go back to ranting about Pune streets in particular.
Yes 100% correct. i have driven a lot in US as well as Germany and CZEK. it was very easy for me to change my rule as per these countries as the very first time when a person flashed at me on the crossing he stopped and asked me to go first. so i started doing the same.

Also in these countries i almost forgot where the horn button is.

But in India its opposite, unfortunate but true. Its the same with honking especially in pune. with so many cabbies and autos and bikes i never dare to overtake blindly without bringing to notice that i am overtaking, please dont press me against the divider or onto other vehicles.

Not only this i keep seeing faces of drivers in their mirrors to make sure they are attentive before i am overtaking. In pune its better to honk than to crash into vehicles.
Old 9th February 2012, 08:50   #960
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
...properly. here you are faster than him and very near to the bottleneck.
Amit, how does one judge the driver reactions by the speed at which he is moving? I could very well say I was faster and had right of way. It doesn't work that way.

Quote:
That again is incorrect behaviour and shows dominance on the road. It is your duty to slow down and abort an overtaking manoeuver if you are in the path of an oncoming vehicle. If you misjudge the speed of the oncoming vehicle do not expect it to stop or slow down to allow you to pass. However, this is called "aang pe gaadi daalna" and is not an appropriate way of dealing with the situation.

Quote:
YES!

Quote:
if oncoming vehicle flashes you should slow down and allow him to pass as he is warning us.
dont even try this reverse way expecting the vehicle with flashing light to slow and you speed in. i am sure you dont want to fall in trouble and create trouble for oncoming car too.
As noopster mentioned, we have wrongly assumed that the use of a high beam flash is to make way whereas in reality the switches are clearly marked as "pass" on the lever. It does indeed mean that a reverse way is expected and you should yield by flashing lights.

Quote:
You are over-judging the situation. these are not called over ambitions actions in day to day driving. this is quite natural on any road and its a common understanding between normal drivers.
I don't think dot has overjudged the situation here. What he mentioned is clearly a decent and civilized way of driving which unfortunately is missed out due to lack of common driving knowledge between the so called "normal drivers"

Quote:
mainly when you are near to the bottleneck its your right to pass first, but just to alert the oncoming car you flash.
Absolutely incorrect! In a bottleneck, or a junction without a traffic light or stop sign. It is your duty to stop, look and proceed. If you consider it as your right to pass, you are indeed following what other "normal drivers" do.

Quote:
Of-course you wont overtake seeing some oncoming vehicle right in front. you overtake with all calculations in mind. but many times there is an oncoming vehicle which is far away but at speed. you flash just to alert him so that he adjusts himself too.
of course when someone is overtaking and i see him in front flashing i should be alert and save some space for him too. this is a simple moral understanding.
Again, this is a judgement call and you can never assess an overtaking manoeuver completely. Always be prepared to abort than make a move. If your overtaking manouvere warrants an oncoming vehicle to slow down, it is your misjudgement than a responsibility of the vehicle on the correct side of the road to slow down.

Quote:
x2

Quote:
Yes 100% correct. i have driven a lot in US as well as Germany and CZEK. it was very easy for me to change my rule as per these countries as the very first time when a person flashed at me on the crossing he stopped and asked me to go first. so i started doing the same.
And this is indeed the correct way than what we Indians assume is a "Make way" signal.

Correct me if I am wrong here.
moralfibre is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks