Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2012, 11:11   #961
dot
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Signals at Shastri Chawk, Kalyani Nagar Bridge were switched off in the morning. This resulted in utter chaos and huge traffic pile-ups. The mess was larger as traffic wardens and police were pretty much absent. I wonder why the heck they switched off the signals.

P.S: It is possible that the signals were having IT issues. As I saw one of them blinking red, yellow and green in random succession at 1 sec intervals.

Last edited by dot : 9th February 2012 at 11:14.
Old 9th February 2012, 23:01   #962
Distinguished - BHPian

Not a traffic related query, but anyone know any good mechanic/garage for Hyundai cars (I20) in Pune? Need this detail for a friend who's looking for an alternative to the Hyundai A$$.
Old 10th February 2012, 08:58   #963
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Not a traffic related query, but anyone know any good mechanic/garage for Hyundai cars (I20) in Pune? Need this detail for a friend who's looking for an alternative to the Hyundai A$$.
Which part of the city is your friend located in? I had recommended a garage on team-bhp here -
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2012, 10:12   #964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Signals at Shastri Chawk, Kalyani Nagar Bridge were switched off in the morning. This resulted in utter chaos and huge traffic pile-ups.
Shastri Nagar Chowk traffic is now a regular fare. I think it is more normal to see a pile up there than to see it free on working days. All this has happened after they build the island (road divider) on the road going towards Kalyani Nagar. I don't know why they did that
BTW, I don't see you crossing that point these days. Have you changed your work timings?
Old 10th February 2012, 10:45   #965
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Which part of the city is your friend located in? I had recommended a garage on team-bhp here -
He lives in USP (a.k.a United States of Pimple ). But he keeps traveling all over the city, so any place is fine. Will share the details with him.

Thanks!
Old 10th February 2012, 11:30   #966
Senior - BHPian

Ninja, either Tune Up Plus Baner, or Shetty's Garage on Senapati Bapat Road (opp Audi Showroom). Both of em are pretty good.

Shetty used to service Maruti cars till a while ago, but now has shifted to Hyundai.
Old 10th February 2012, 12:04   #967
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Shetty used to service Maruti cars till a while ago, but now has shifted to Hyundai.
Shetty is the same guy who owns Maruti Care point which is the authorized service for Maruti. The garage on Senapati Bapat road has been changed to Maa Hyundai which is again an authorized service center for Hyundai.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2012, 16:42   #968
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Shastri Nagar Chowk traffic is now a regular fare.

All this has happened after they build the island (road divider) on the road going towards Kalyani Nagar. I don't know why they did that
Yes, the most brainless person must have designed those "islands", I call them continents.

P.S: Office timings are a bit erratic these days, amazed that you noticed
Old 11th February 2012, 20:24   #969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot

Yes, the most brainless person must have designed those "islands", I call them continents.

P.S: Office timings are a bit erratic these days, amazed that you noticed
I agree. The first time I went near that island, it took me couple of seconds to figure out what exactly it is. If you are not used to that island and if you are lucky to get the signal green while turning in to Kalyani nagar, chances are that you will bang into the island as you will turn in speed. Both the turnings for Kalyani nagar from nagar road are pretty screwed up.
subodh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2012, 11:48   #970
Senior - BHPian

Two shuttlers from the city lost their lives in an accident on the bypass. This one was opposite the Balewadi main gate. Yesterday, while going for the meet, I did notice the car. By the looks of it, it was totalled. Apparently, the guy driving it, lost control and hit a tree.

Sad to see the car, and feel for those who departed. One of the 3 guys is in a serious condition in a city hospital. Wish him a speedy recovery.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2012, 12:33   #971
BHPian

This probably falls within Pune limits!!

At the first toll station towards Bangalore, stick to extreme right, near the median. This lane bifurcates into 3 toll gates, making it wee bit faster. In addition, I saw toll company people manned with portable toll receipt printers at the last toll gate. While you are waiting, you can pay the money to them and get it printed there and just show it as you pass the toll booth. This made the entire process (only at last toll gate) a little bit faster.
mmxylorider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2012, 13:28   #972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
At the first toll station towards Bangalore, stick to extreme right, near the median. This lane bifurcates into 3 toll gates, making it wee bit faster.
I think this will work when you are flowing with traffic such as the beginning of a weekend or on normal traffic day. Against the flow of traffic I am a bit skeptical. If I remember correctly, on Sundays on the way back to Pune at the same toll booth, these booths are operational in the other direction. Of course, great recommendation here mmxylorider ; just a clause to be alert to the time/ flow of traffic.
Edit: I havent been in that direction in the last few months, somebody who returned recently can confirm this?

Last edited by selfdrive : 13th February 2012 at 13:32.
Old 13th February 2012, 13:50   #973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Two shuttlers from the city lost their lives in an accident on the bypass. This one was opposite the Balewadi main gate. Yesterday, while going for the meet, I did notice the car. By the looks of it, it was totalled. Apparently, the guy driving it, lost control and hit a tree.

Sad to see the car, and feel for those who departed. One of the 3 guys is in a serious condition in a city hospital. Wish him a speedy recovery.
Yes, read this news in today's Pune Mirror. Really young badminton players (all were in their early twenties) with a bright future, but God had something different planned for them. Gory crash site.

Name:  Badminton Players car crash.jpg
Views: 2374
Size:  15.2 KB

Link to the full news

Taken, News - Latest - Pune Mirror,Pune Mirror
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2012, 13:20   #974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I think this will work when you are flowing with traffic such as the beginning of a weekend or on normal traffic day. Against the flow of traffic I am a bit skeptical. If I remember correctly, on Sundays on the way back to Pune at the same toll booth, these booths are operational in the other direction. Of course, great recommendation here mmxylorider ; just a clause to be alert to the time/ flow of traffic.
Edit: I havent been in that direction in the last few months, somebody who returned recently can confirm this?
That is still true. The toll booths at the centre are operational as per the need, so you cannot predict which one is operating in which direction unless you judge the traffic flow.
While going towards Bangalore, I would recommend to be in the left most lane. There is an additional lane at the extreme left which you cannot make out unless you go on to the very extreme right of the road (There is no road here really!) Even this lane is closed sometimes, but good chance that you will make it sooner from this side.

My advice - If you are in a hurry and do not mind "Who dares win" kind of situation, be on the extreme left, for peace of mind, be at extreme right (near the divider)
Figopian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2012, 14:20   #975
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
My advice - If you are in a hurry and do not mind "Who dares win" kind of situation, be on the extreme left, for peace of mind, be at extreme right (near the divider)
Very good thought and I completely agree. Mostly I go closest to the divider, that way I dont have to worry about at least one side of the car.

Sometimes, by chance, the right most lane is fastest as they open up a fresh booth from the opposite side. Sometimes we are not so lucky, as the right lane may seem to the slowest. But it is ok, all iz well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks