Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2012, 11:30   #1051
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Quote:
Originally Posted by advaitlele View Post

There is this clan of drivers who would start honking as soon as the signal turns green
Yes, they have given birth to a new unit of time called the traffo-second. It is defined as the time interval between the light turning green and the first BEEEEEP from the traffic behind you.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2012, 11:52   #1052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
Looks like two new malls are going to open in Erandawane in near future, one near Mhatre bridge (I think it's called Downtown City Centre mall) I am worried that it will severely affect the traffic in this area.
The big building near Mhatre bridge has been in construction since last 6-7 years. There was some court stay on the construction. Hope the building sees the light of day sometime in near future.

It is surely going to cause traffic mess in that area. Already people takeing U-turn at the end of mhatre bridge towards Dattawadi causes traffic issues. Even though authorities have put up some medians
Old 8th March 2012, 11:59   #1053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Yes, they have given birth to a new unit of time called the traffo-second. It is defined as the time interval between the light turning green and the first BEEEEEP from the traffic behind you.

Cheers,
Vikram
ROFL "traffo - second" you should patent that word immediately.
It is extremely annoying. This feeling is similar to the feeling when you are deplaning from the flight which is landed and doors are closed. People just start pushing each other.
Old 8th March 2012, 13:36   #1054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by athanedar View Post
ROFL "traffo - second" you should patent that word immediately.
It is extremely annoying. This feeling is similar to the feeling when you are deplaning from the flight which is landed and doors are closed. People just start pushing each other.
I second that - you should immediately file a patent for that word . Traffo-second - LOL.

Ohh - that feeling of waiting for the doors to open. People feel its going to be endless wait in the aisle; it feels like standing in an ST bus for the moment.

BTW - are many companies in HJW closed today? I saw very little traffic today while coming to office and I was at the supposed-to-be peak traffic time -9.30 nr Mezza9 road.
Old 8th March 2012, 14:08   #1055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by advaitlele View Post
I second that
BTW - are many companies in HJW closed today? I saw very little traffic today while coming to office and I was at the supposed-to-be peak traffic time -9.30 nr Mezza9 road.
Yes it was a dream run in peak hours today. I mentioned that in the "Hinjewadi Traffic Issues" thread. Many IT companies are closed today and manufacturing companies have their weekly holiday today.
Old 9th March 2012, 02:54   #1056
BHPian

PCMC roads are all butter smooth now. Thanks to the elections..!! I hope it withstands the oncoming monsoon.
arrowaby is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 08:29   #1057
dot
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to the (near) completion of the Holkar bridge road system, I have stopped taking the internal Kharki bazar route when coming from PCMC to Yerawada. I take the highway after Harris bridge, go past the station, go past the tank signal and take the left from Range Hill signal. After that, the road is virtually traffic free all way to Sappers.

Nice.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 12:10   #1058
Senior - BHPian

Disturbing sight on my way in to work today in the morning.

I was waiting at the Karve statue signal when I heard a muffled ambulance siren beep. A single one. Looked in the RVM to find a small Omni van heading slowly towards the signal. I moved to the left of the road and so did a couple of other motorists to give way.
The ambulance moved ahead towards Mayur colony. There was a stretcher with a fully covered dead body placed in the rear. One guy was seated next to the stretcher and the rear hatch was fully opened. A length of the stretcher (around 10 inches) was hanging outside the van. I dont know what it was, but something felt totally wrong. And I am not talking about legality/ bad drivers/ etc.

I did not feel like driving further, so moved ahead a few metres once the signal turned green. Found a parking spot and waited for a few minutes. Had no inclination, but no option either, so moved on towards work.
Been a surreal day since then and I feel like moving on auto pilot. cannot get that scene out of my head

Last edited by selfdrive : 9th March 2012 at 12:11.
Old 9th March 2012, 12:46   #1059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Disturbing sight on my way in to work today in the morning.

I was waiting at the Karve statue signal when I heard a muffled ambulance siren beep. A single one. Looked in the RVM to find a small Omni van heading slowly towards the signal. I moved to the left of the road and so did a couple of other motorists to give way.
The ambulance moved ahead towards Mayur colony. There was a stretcher with a fully covered dead body placed in the rear. One guy was seated next to the stretcher and the rear hatch was fully opened. A length of the stretcher (around 10 inches) was hanging outside the van. I dont know what it was, but something felt totally wrong. And I am not talking about legality/ bad drivers/ etc.

I did not feel like driving further, so moved ahead a few metres once the signal turned green. Found a parking spot and waited for a few minutes. Had no inclination, but no option either, so moved on towards work.
Been a surreal day since then and I feel like moving on auto pilot. cannot get that scene out of my head
No worries mate. Happens to the best of us, esp. when you see something like this in your early morning drive. Suggest you read about something which makes you happy. Take a break from work for some time and just take a nice walk or go to a school/ college nearby and have cutting chai a the tapri. The energy of the college/school children will make you feel better. Try it!
torquecurve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 13:28   #1060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There was a stretcher with a fully covered dead body placed in the rear. One guy was seated next to the stretcher and the rear hatch was fully opened. A length of the stretcher (around 10 inches) was hanging outside the van. I dont know what it was, but something felt totally wrong. And I am not talking about legality/ bad drivers/ etc.

I can fully understand your feelings mate, but that is the fact of life, rather the most certain fact. Each life will come to an end, difference being some would be tragic & some natural. We have to carry on. As Toquecurve suggested, look at the other cheerful things in life.

Couple of years back, I had once accompanied a dead body (that of my cousin) in an ambulance during an overnight journey from Mumbai to Dhule via Nasik. That was the worst ever journey in my entire life, not because I was sitting besides a dead body the whole night, but the condition of the ambulance was so pathetic, I can't imagine what would have happened if that ambulance was carrying an emergency patient.

To carry any body out of corporation limits you need an NOC from some dept. When we reached there @ 09:00pm, the man in charge was out for dinner. Took almost an hour to get the Cert. When we started the journey & were a bit on the outskirts of the city we realized that the ambulance had very poor headlamps, one could hardly see the road ahead. As soon as the Kasara ghat started, it began drizzling. To our utter surprise, the wipers of the vehicle were not working. The cleaner tied a rope (sutli) to the wipers & taking his left hand out of the window started pulling the wipers (vow what a sight). Just when we had entered Nasik city, the worst happened. The rear wheel of the ambulance got punctured. The b***y driver when tried to remove the punctured wheel, his spanner would not turn the bolt (because the bolt head had gone bald & there was no grip). Those two guys driving the van were real nuts. Fortunately we could hunt another ambulance well past midnight & shifted the body to that vehicle, all this while the nuts still trying to remove the punctured wheel. We caught hold of a police & requested him to confiscate the license of the driver. We continued our onward journey in the other ambulance (which fortunately was in a very good condition) & reached our destination in the wee hours.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 14:17   #1061
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys. My concern is not about death or depression itself, but the way in which that particular person was being treated even after death. Just reminded me of a couple of other incidents at some hospitals. But I guess that is what differentiates us from animals. Insenstivity.

AutoIndian; state of infrastructure overall is quite pathetic. I am not surprised to hear your experience, and that I think is the worst part of it.

Nevertheless, it is just a rant about what I noticed in traffic today. RIP to whoever it was. We do much worse to fellow motorists each day. Well, most of us anyway.

I try to go back to my usual depression space than this odd one out. Enough things in that pandora's box to pull me down. Oh wait, its Friday!
Old 9th March 2012, 14:27   #1062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
SD, it happens to everyone of us. Maybe we are unacustomed to seeing death from close quarters or just that our mind refuses to accept death of a living being.

As torquecurve has said, try to look at the bright side of life. Do something different and try to forget the incident. Take the day off if you can't get your mind on your work. Being at home with your family will make you forget the bad experience.
W.A.G.7 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 11:51   #1063
Senior - BHPian

Massive jam on the bypass today morning. A travel's bus had broken down in the left lane, just after the Praj exit. That, alongwith the road widening work, resulted in a long jam that extended from Praj exit till Sus Rd.
Old 12th March 2012, 22:12   #1064
dot
Senior - BHPian

Would you believe it.
I actually could not recognize Swargate crossing.

This was around 11:20 AM. Was coming from camp side and was supposed to take the left to go to Katraj. There was absolutely no traffic and I was merrily driving straight when I suddenly noticed the middle bus lanes on a wide road from my left corner vision.
Wheels in my brain started turning with protest, "This cant be, looks like Swargate but where is the traffic????"

Reflex came in handy, and, with a squeal, the car turned left, before I violently overshot into the Tilak side.

Funny things happen.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 09:04   #1065
BHPian

This morning at 7:30 am, small jam just before the wakad octroi junction on bridge on NH4 bypass. A Sumo had rear ended Innova and these people had not moved the cars. Looked to be minor rear ending and thankfully no one was hurt. Some headlight broken pieces had fallen on the road.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks