Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2012, 11:33   #1141
BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_3306 View Post
I think the problem is when you approach from Mula Road to go to Vishrantwadi via old holkar bridge. It crosses the new road going to Yerwada under the bridge and oncoming traffic from Khadki is in no mood to give way to the vehicles crossing this road. High probability of an accident here.
Adding to this is the height of the wall on left. It completely blocks the view of the traffic coming from left. One is left with no option than to get the nose of the car a bit into the oncoming traffic . It's only a matter of time we start reading about accidents at this spot.
Old 7th April 2012, 20:36   #1142
Distinguished - BHPian

Just another small update for the folks who would be interested to know of alternate route options between Balewadi and Pimple regions (Saudagar/Nilakh/Gaurav). This has already been discussed earlier, but just wanted to inform all that now the route has been tarr-ed completely and is well lit with street lights. Plus earlier one had to pass through Pimple Nilakh village to access this route, but now a clear 2 lane road has been setup using which one can reach Balewadi from Rakshak chowk in less than 10 minutes, any time of the day!

For people who are not exactly in the know-how of this route, giving a few pointers on the same -

Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-rakshak-balewadi.jpg
(Below points are place-holders on the map)

1. If you are coming from Dange Chowk towards Aundh, turn right at Rakshak Chowk junction (landmark : Tank located on the left side of the junction)

2. Keep to the extreme left. You'll come to a Y-junction where the right lane will go into Pimple Nilakh village (landmark: big water tank in the middle of the Y-junction). Ignore it and keep on going till the road becomes a narrow single lane road with a parallel wall on your left and a series of flats on your right side.

3. The road will turn right, into a wide twin-lane with street lights. Keep going on it.

4. About half a kilometer away, you'll again meet a T-junction; turn right; you'll be able to see the bridge over the river/gutter by now. Crossing the bridge will get you into Balewadi area.

5. The road ends into another lane; left takes you towards Balewadi Phata (landmark: Orchid School) and the highway a few kms ahead; right takes you into Balewadi residential area.

6. Balewadi Phata reached!
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2012, 16:57   #1143
BHPian

Try using the road below instead the chapekar chowk flyover in Chinchwad. It takes lesser time than the flyover. Most of the times. This is a fact.
Old 16th April 2012, 17:35   #1144
Distinguished - BHPian

Update from @Keyur: Very heavy downpour of rain and hail happening right now- he is at Chandni Chowk. Debris flying everywhere. Traffic has come to a standstill and visibility is low.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2012, 17:51   #1145
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for that update Noops. Here in Hadapsar, Pune-Saswad Road it is overcast, with strong winds blowing, but no traces of rain. Please ask Keyur to pass on some rain over here in this perennially draught prone area
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2012, 18:52   #1146
Senior - BHPian

Update from Kharadi - Yerwada area: Slight drizzle and less than normal traffic. Now the drizzling has stopped and the temperature has come down. Feels like Pune again.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2012, 19:17   #1147
dot
Senior - BHPian

Guys, please be careful in this evening of first rain. Usually first rain causes oil slick on the road surface and they are two-wheeler's best friend. Already witnessed several motorcycles falling off at various places.
dot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2012, 20:05   #1148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Update from @Keyur: Very heavy downpour of rain and hail happening right now- he is at Chandni Chowk. Debris flying everywhere. Traffic has come to a standstill and visibility is low.
Thanks for putting that up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Thanks for that update Noops. Here in Hadapsar, Pune-Saswad Road it is overcast, with strong winds blowing, but no traces of rain. Please ask Keyur to pass on some rain over here in this perennially draught prone area
So, did the showers reach you? I tried really hard to send them over

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Update from Kharadi - Yerwada area: Slight drizzle and less than normal traffic. Now the drizzling has stopped and the temperature has come down. Feels like Pune again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Guys, please be careful in this evening of first rain. Usually first rain causes oil slick on the road surface and they are two-wheeler's best friend. Already witnessed several motorcycles falling off at various places.
On the road where I was coming from, there was a mini storm like condition, banners were falling off, one hoarding fell on the road about 20 feet in front of me! And there was constant hail - I was scared that I might have to take the car for a denting-painting job
keyur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2012, 20:22   #1149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
So, did the showers reach y ou? I tried really hard to send them over
Naah, where did you fell short Keyur, I was waiting endlessly. At this hour of the day (20 minutes past 8), it is still dry over here (guess it is a dry day)
Old 19th April 2012, 17:41   #1150
BHPian

Note from Team-BHP Support: Post deleted. Team-BHP maintains a strong stand against street racing. Please read our rules carefully before proceeding.

Last edited by noopster : 20th April 2012 at 15:46.
DReddy is offline   Received Infraction
Old 20th April 2012, 12:13   #1151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas Ingle
A bad experience day before yesterday.
Sorry about digging up an old wound , but things have really gone to the dogs now.
In a city where your "status" is increasingly being defined by how many laws you can get away with breaking , shifting demographics of vehicle buyers (rising prosperity as well as rising illegal means of income are enabling utter yobs to buy a vehicle easily) , weak policing and utter lack of political will to do anything about it (maybe because it suits them just fine) , such things are simply going to increase many fold in the coming years.
The other day , I was going along the road alongside MG Road Bus Stand, which is a one way. Traffic was light, when I suddenly saw 2 of the similar "sample" pieces coming from the wrong side and then cutting across traffic to join the road across. I gave a loud horn to warn them I was coming, and these two actually had the gall to stop their bike and glare at me , ready to pick a fight if I had reacted in anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Somebody please tell parents of Abhinav school students that they should not stop/ park their cars on that road between SNDT and Law college road.
Nowadays parents come to drop? A vast majority of us used to cycle!
Anyways, the problem is probably because they put in those barricades to prevent anything larger than a bicycle to pass through in that canal road opening. Ideal road they should be taking is to join Law College road and take a right turn just before Pastry Corner.

On another note, the one good initiative in recent times, the Pune Traffic Police Facebook Page seems to have fizzled out. PTP has stopped responding on FB, stopped taking actions as well. I had anyways lost hope from them long back, but many hadnt.

Last edited by sajo : 20th April 2012 at 12:21.
Old 20th April 2012, 12:39   #1152
BHPian

Anyone knows about the bridge like construction going on in the river just next to the new Bund Garden (yerawada) bridge? You can see this on the left side while driving on the new Bund Garden (yerawada) bridge. Not sure if they are planning another bridge there!
Old 20th April 2012, 14:32   #1153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
On another note, the one good initiative in recent times, the Pune Traffic Police Facebook Page seems to have fizzled out. PTP has stopped responding on FB, stopped taking actions as well. I had anyways lost hope from them long back, but many hadnt.
I had lost any hopes from traffic police few months back when "six seaters" started ferrying 10 people + driver, and drove straight in front of the constable. And you and me have to suffer the lovely smell coming from the exhaust every day to/from HJW.

Quote:
Oh, yesterday on my way to work. I met the perfect moron at Paud
Me: (raising the helmet a little): tula doley dileyt signal baghaayla tar kaanavar aavlambun ka raahtos?
That was such a typical Puneri response. And I am sure you must have enjoyed every line in that conversation. I could not stop imagining the "dialog delivery" as it would've happened

Quote:
I dont think its safe for kids to travel by themselves any more. It not only the traffic, but just too many despos out there. From the person standing at the corner to the rickshaw wala uncle, no one can be trusted.
Absolutely right Selfdrive. With the traffic increasing exponentially over the years and all the jerks driving around merrily, its absolutely not safe for kids to ride to schools on their bicycles. I would not send my son on his cycle.

Last edited by noopster : 20th April 2012 at 15:47. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 20th April 2012, 14:52   #1154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by advaitlele View Post
And you and me have to suffer the lovely smell coming from the exhaust every day to/from HJW.
Thankfully only been to HJW thrice in my 30 years in Pune. Am doing my damnedest best to stay away from there. Got very close a few months ago, but escaped by the skin of my teeth. Currently hiding in a city office where I am too inconsequential to be noticed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by advaitlele View Post
That was such a typical Puneri response. And I am sure you must have enjoyed every line in that conversation. I could not stop imagining the "dialog delivery" as it would've happened
ha ha, yes I did. I enjoy choosing a language and tone depending on my mood (usually Hindi but added with an accent borrowed from any of my diverse friend group). most of times the other guy decides to turn it into a locals vs outsiders argument. Then I reply in typical Puneri ishtyle. which is basically a bit like chess. trying to barricade someone out of an argument. Forget what he says, its just interesting to note that the line of thinking for most morons is the same: If I go on all out attack, the other guy will wilt. In such an argument switch languages/ accents and suddenly that moron is a bit confused.

Its just an enjoyable way I have found to wind people up with. Only those who trouble me in some other way. dont ask how I found that out

When the only choice left is for them to hit out, I exit. Never been in a fight, and plan to continue the record. For people who reach that stage I just do the usual 'kya yaar/ kaay rao' sign with my left hand, smile and leave.
Old 20th April 2012, 15:22   #1155
BHPian

That's true, you have to switch channels according to the audience

I remember one such instance - I slowed down and stopped at the signal below flyover at University. "Gentleman" behind my car started honking madly and shouted as to why I stopped when "Shingal" was still going from amber to red. I just walked to him and told "mala red light area madhe jayla nahi avdat. Tumhala aavadta?" With his family in the car, he never honked again till the time he was behind me till passport office.
advaitlele is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks