Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2012, 09:16   #1216
Team-BHP Support

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

The approval for Metro is likely to come up next week as per this TOI article.

Vanaz to Ramwadi is going to be a nightmare when work commences (2015).
Old 11th May 2012, 13:07   #1217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
From what I understand, those residing in Kumar Parisar and thereabouts have a serious problem. The DP road is dug up, and so is the Dahanukar Colony road. The only way out of that area in relatively less traffic is to join Paud Rd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Vanaz to Ramwadi is going to be a nightmare when work commences (2015).
Is Kumar Parisar/ Mahatma society being sieged? Will the DP road and Dahanukar colony stretch get completed before the metro work begins on Paud road in 2015?

Also, I heard that a flyover is being planned all the way from Chandni chowk to Kachra depot. not sure of timelines, but being discussed in local 'katta' circles. Is this why the metro ends at Vanaz and not at Chandni chowk/ kothrud depot?

I hope they build a decent multi level parking lot at Vanaz
Old 11th May 2012, 17:55   #1218
BHPian

This might be a bit OT but I couldnt find any other Pune specific thread for this:

With the recent Supreme Court ban on ALL sun films, what is the take by Pune traffic police / RTO?
As I understand, in cities like Bangalore, the police have given people until May 19 to remove the films and have also organized camps where the films can be removed safely.
Any idea what's the situation in Pune?
Old 11th May 2012, 22:07   #1219
BHPian

Is there any change in traffic flow at Chandani chowk?

The two way traffic which was allowed on kothrud - chandani chowk road had eased the conditions and bavdhan - paud road (downhill road) strech was clear.

Today at around 8 pm it was again a huge mess and very slow moving.
Old 14th May 2012, 13:03   #1220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
Actually, there is a group of Architects, planners, educationists and related professionals, under banner of Pune Technical Coalition, which is coalition of 22 professional associations (architects, planners, urban designers, civil engineers, contractors, interior architects, railway engineers, etc.), all schools of Architecture and town planning and Janwani, NGO of MCCIA and groups of citizens under Pune Metro Jagruti Abhiyan, trying to convince govt and politicians that Metro should be under ground in central part of Pune. We had already made presentations to all politicians connected to Pune, across the party lines. Apparently, all accept that Metro should be underground, but in reality make resolutions other way.
Thanks for the information. Is there a way non-architects like me can join this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Sure I am game for any activism as long as it is positive in efforts. and yes, I am in Kothrud too. lets plan a breakfast meet in the area. please subscribe to the tapri meet thread. I will try to initiate/ plan something.
Thanks Balaji. Got your PM. Sorry I had been extremely busy to reply. Let's plan a breakfast meet in Kothrud area towards end of May. Will post on the tapri meet thread.
Old 14th May 2012, 14:48   #1221
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeps View Post
With the recent Supreme Court ban on ALL sun films, what is the take by Pune traffic police / RTO?
...Any idea what's the situation in Pune?
Last reported, the count of challaned vehicles stood at 544. A team-bhpian got stopped as well: post here.. It's better to get films removed.
moralfibre is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2012, 11:03   #1222
Senior - BHPian

Back in Chandigarh, my vehicles used to remain parked on the roads all day and all night. I won't be wrong to say that not even a scratch happened to it. Well, I daresay that this not how folks at Pune roll. Leaving the 220 parked at a local street overnight = broken fairing, missing indicators, missing logos, missing tank pad, missing accelerator cable, missing starter motor, dozen scratches, torn seats, broken disc brake master cylinder, missing screen, broken handlebar and semi unbolted end can. Yeah, the 220 ends up ROBBED & VANDALIZED. The big lesson that I learnt is to never ark a vehicle with different state's registration plates at a public parking spot on the road. Not in the night time.
Attached Thumbnails
Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-578089_384820231570625_100001279536456_82685697_1228785444_n.jpg  

Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-538140_384820201570628_100001279536456_82685696_285088165_n.jpg  

Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-535747_384820254903956_100001279536456_82685698_1489165197_n.jpg  

Old 20th May 2012, 12:39   #1223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
The approval for Metro is likely to come up next week as per this TOI article.
Kiran, I dont see Metro coming up sooner. Once the state approval comes, it has to be sent to Central govt for approval.They probably will take their own sweet time. Subsequent to that, they need to source funds for metro project. The organization which usually provides funds for these has not yet been approached. (This is the understanding which I got from a cousin who works for this funding org.)
Old 21st May 2012, 18:26   #1224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
Thanks for the information. Is there a way non-architects like me can join this?

Thanks Balaji. Got your PM. Sorry I had been extremely busy to reply. Let's plan a breakfast meet in Kothrud area towards end of May. Will post on the tapri meet thread.
Any and all citizen are welcome. Sorry for delayed reply. I was out of Pune for long and with limited connectivity.

Actually, yesterday there was a meeting called by Pune Janahit Aghadi headed by Ujwal Keskar (Ex-Corporator). It was decided to start educating people about it and also approach courts of law if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm403 View Post
Kiran, I dont see Metro coming up sooner. Once the state approval comes, it has to be sent to Central govt for approval.They probably will take their own sweet time. Subsequent to that, they need to source funds for metro project. The organization which usually provides funds for these has not yet been approached. (This is the understanding which I got from a cousin who works for this funding org.)
I fully agree. There is long way to go and the 'way' is littered with huge number of obstacles.
CANPUSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2012, 12:13   #1225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
Yeah, the 220 ends up ROBBED & VANDALIZED. The big lesson that I learnt is to never ark a vehicle with different state's registration plates at a public parking spot on the road. Not in the night time.
Sad to read about this. Were you being specifically targetted by someone? Any fights with any one lately?

I don't think it has got anything to do with a different state registration.
Old 22nd May 2012, 13:57   #1226
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The big lesson that I learnt is to never ark a vehicle with different state's registration plates at a public parking spot on the road. Not in the night time.
Sad to see the bike's condition, but I'll have to agree with @amitwlele.

That's a completely wrong assumption you have come to over there. Probably some idiot took out his frustration on your bike, or maybe you were targetted by someone who had a grudge against you. Know several people having outside state cars/bikes facing no issues at all, irrespective of their vehicles being parked on the road or any public parking place.

But I'll agree with your last statement (with a bit of tweaking) - never park your vehicle overnight on a public parking spot on the roads. Always risky.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 22nd May 2012 at 14:00.
Old 22nd May 2012, 14:15   #1227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The big lesson that I learnt is to never ark a vehicle with different state's registration plates at a public parking spot on the road. Not in the night time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Sad to read about this. Were you being specifically targetted by someone? Any fights with any one lately?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
That's a completely wrong assumption you have come to over there. Probably some idiot took out his frustration on your bike, or maybe you were targetted by someone who had a grudge against you.
Sad to see any vehicle being vandalized. Very unfortunate incident indeed.
I agree this does not look like a case of out of state phobia. I am not really sure there has to be a grudge these days. Some people are just to jealous of others enjoying the fruits of their labour. And they end up committing such acts of vandalism because they assume you have gotten it through one of:
- inheritance/ gifts (luck son of a gun, I am so deprived attitude)
- corruption (I cant buy a bike on my income, so everyone else who does is corrupt)
- luck

As mentioned by Amit and ninja, try to get a secure parking place for your bike at night.
Old 22nd May 2012, 19:24   #1228
Senior - BHPian

There is a big dip in the road, just after the Marriott/ICC signal on SB road. Saw two close shaves (rear endings) today morning/afternoon. People zoom off from the signal when it turns green , only to slam their brakes after 20 feet , catching those behind them unawares.
Old 22nd May 2012, 19:59   #1229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
There is a big dip in the road, just after the Marriott/ICC signal on SB road. Saw two close shaves (rear endings) today morning/afternoon. People zoom off from the signal when it turns green , only to slam their brakes after 20 feet , catching those behind them unawares.
I should have warned you about that too! The entire SB road stretch is one big mess. Especially the drain covers which have caved in are a big risk to bikers.

There is also some heavy digging going on outside Marriott since last week.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2012, 21:25   #1230
BHPian

Quote:
IIRC, the Kumar Parisar - YC Natyagrih road was being dug up due to repairs in water/whatever pipes. But, that, like any other project has taken eons to complete.
The PMC call it "Storm water drainage system".
Remember a couple of years ago, when the entire stretch of Karve Road was dug up - one lane at a time? This is the same project that is being implemented (and at a later stage too), on Karve Road Extension.
In real sense, this is turning out to be a 'Pancha Varshik Yojana' by the civic authorities. This is a part of the road works announced back then & were supposed to be completed before the start of the Commonwealth Youth Games Pune.

Quote:
From what I understand, those residing in Kumar Parisar and thereabouts have a serious problem. The DP road is dug up, and so is the Dahanukar Colony road. The only way out of that area in relatively less traffic is to join Paud Rd.
Quote:
Is Kumar Parisar/ Mahatma society being sieged? Will the DP road and Dahanukar colony stretch get completed before the metro work begins on Paud road in 2015?
Good news..!
The Dahanukar Colony road works are complete; and the roads are motorable. I've been using this route to access home since the last 1 week now. Commuting is a breeze now, specially avoiding all that traffic jam in front of Paranjpe School.

Quote:
Also, I heard that a flyover is being planned all the way from Chandni chowk to Kachra depot. not sure of timelines, but being discussed in local 'katta' circles. Is this why the metro ends at Vanaz and not at Chandni chowk/ kothrud depot?
Boy this sure sounds like the 'planned' flyover from Paud Phata till Nal Stop which remained on paper eversince.

Most Viewed